Art or....

Go to CruxDreams.com
Image of woman on the cross have long been considered blasphemous by many Christians. But now feminist theologians view them as a commemoration of an oft-ignored history of female martyrdom, writes Rachael Kohn.

To many, the image of a female Christ was nothing less than blasphemy when British sculptor Edwina Sandys wrought Christa in 1975.

The bronze sculpture—which Sandys, the granddaughter of Sir Winston Churchill,in 2016 gifty to St John of the Divine Cathedral in New York—was a reflection of the concerns of a burgeoning feminist movement and the recognition that women had suffered and sacrificed their lives for love.

Attachments

• A1281468-A410-47BE-B9A8-A9D75B86A6B3.jpeg
    A1281468-A410-47BE-B9A8-A9D75B86A6B3.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 294
Image of woman on the cross have long been considered blasphemous by many Christians. But now feminist theologians view them as a commemoration of an oft-ignored history of female martyrdom, writes Rachael Kohn.

To many, the image of a female Christ was nothing less than blasphemy when British sculptor Edwina Sandys wrought Christa in 1975.

The bronze sculpture—which Sandys, the granddaughter of Sir Winston Churchill,in 2016 gifty to St John of the Divine Cathedral in New York—was a reflection of the concerns of a burgeoning feminist movement and the recognition that women had suffered and sacrificed their lives for love.

Interesting. There is a trend in some circles to use feminine rather than masculine articles when reading scripture, to make it more "personal" for female listeners. This is a logical extension, to present the crucified one as female, to balance what they see as a historic imbalance, to include/confront female viewers more personally.

It's is an interesting idea which intersects all too well with our more erotic interest in the subject matter. Awkward! people like Ramon have been plowing this particular furrow for a very long time :)

So, blasphemous or transcendent?
inri.jpgFemale Jesus ii.jpgfemcruc.jpgph180.jpg

Interesting. There is a trend in some circles to use feminine rather than masculine articles when reading scripture, to make it more "personal" for female listeners. This is a logical extension, to present the crucified one as female, to balance what they see as a historic imbalance, to include/confront female viewers more personally.

It's is an interesting idea which intersects all too well with our more erotic interest in the subject matter. Awkward! people like Ramon have been plowing this particular furrow for a very long time :)

View attachment 575735View attachment 575736View attachment 575737View attachment 575738
My personal views tend toward regarding all religious stories as myths, which may nevertheless point toward some truth, or at least illustrate a theological or philosophical idea. In that context, even if there was a historical Jesus or Yeshua, the stories we have are certainly stylised, and a modification to make that figure female can hardly be blasphemous. Blasphemy only makes sense if one takes a literal view, or if it is used as a tool to exercise power (as in, excommunication, inquisition, or other sanctions). Where nobody gets killed and excommunication is not considered terrible, blasphemy becomes again an irrelevant issue. Thus, for me the female crux idea and images are, if not transcendent, at least an interesting way of examining old stories. They are also quite sexy, which might also be transcendent. ;)

View attachment 575735View attachment 575736View attachment 575737View attachment 575738
As you no doubt remember, phlebas, having created some lovely illustrations for it, I wrote about a real historical figure who believed herself to be the re-incarnation of Christ in a female form and got thousands of people to subscribe to that idea.

Last edited:
It reminds me of a Hongkong film:《Satan Returns》(《666魔鬼复活》),that is the first time I saw women being crucified in movie and TV(At the past, small TV stations in mainland China will play some movies that are not suitable for all ages.).The main thought of the movie is that God sent his son Jesus as Christ,so in order to provoke God,as the enemy of God,then the devil Satan will send his daughter as Christ,the way to find Female Christ is to dig out the heart of a birthday conforming woman on the cross,Satan's daughter will not die, and bring the end of the world.
As a Chinese, I am not very impressed by the movie's thought.But when I saw a girl on the cross, I was deeply attracted:A believer of the devil ripped a crucified girl's skirt out, showing her chest and breast,and then the girl was dug out of the heart.When the girl's body was found, the cross was reversed and the body was still tied up.I have to admit that this movie brings more sexual fantasies to me than other films and videos.The only pity is that ropes are used instead of nails.

It reminds me of a Hongkong film:《Satan Returns》(《666魔鬼复活》),that is the first time I saw women being crucified in movie and TV(At the past, small TV stations in mainland China will play some movies that are not suitable for all ages.).The main thought of the movie is that God sent his son Jesus as Christ,so in order to provoke God,as the enemy of God,then the devil Satan will send his daughter as Christ,the way to find Female Christ is to dig out the heart of a birthday conforming woman on the cross,Satan's daughter will not die, and bring the end of the world.
As a Chinese, I am not very impressed by the movie's thought.But when I saw a girl on the cross, I was deeply attracted:A believer of the devil ripped a crucified girl's skirt out, showing her chest and breast,and then the girl was dug out of the heart.When the girl's body was found, the cross was reversed and the body was still tied up.I have to admit that this movie brings more sexual fantasies to me than other films and videos.The only pity is that ropes are used instead of nails.
Available at
. I was not impressed by the brief partial nudity and the short time showing crucified woman.

Available at
. I was not impressed by the brief partial nudity and the short time showing crucified woman.
At that time, Internet was not popularized, and I couldn't get much contact with crucified girl.There were similar plots in some domestic films and TV shows,but it's all the "天平架" of China,and the victim of crucifixion has no pain at all,they are only restricted to activities.
So you may not understand how this movie's shock to me.

At that time, Internet was not popularized, and I couldn't get much contact with crucified girl.There were similar plots in some domestic films and TV shows,but it's all the "天平架" of China,and the victim of crucifixion has no pain at all,they are only restricted to activities.
So you may not understand how this movie's shock to me.
Hongzu, I apologize. I was not intending to dismiss your excitement over the film. I understand your point of view. We each have our own ignition point.

Hongzu, I apologize. I was not intending to dismiss your excitement over the film. I understand your point of view. We each have our own ignition point.
No, you don't have to apologize.We are just talking about each other's own views, aren't they?:hello:
Now I can't find that feeling anymore when I see the movie, because I have seen more shocking literature and video works.

It's an interesting subject. I have been reading some fantasy novels lately about this 20 year old woman who is a healer via magic. Everytime she heals someone, she takes that sickness or wound onto herself, and could even die from it if it's too severe. It's really personal because the writing style is in the style of "I said, I felt, I wondered" So when something happens to her, I am the one feeling it as a result.

She also spends several portions of the book bound to a tree with her arms behind it, with her cloak taken away from her and it's almost winter time. It takes her a while, but she eventually breaks and spends an entire night curled up as much as she can be given how she is bound and weeping due to the physical and mental pain of her situation.

the premise is that she is the last of her kind who was in hiding because they blamed magic for the causes of a plague that wiped out more than one third of the total population to which the healers were immune to, and so people think they had something to do with it. they are taking her to her death. Eventually, her captors take a liking to her, as they are transporting her, and one of them even falls in love her and she with him, but a jobs a job, so.......

Novel is Touch of Power, by Maria V Snyder.

top-front-cover-maria-v-snyder.jpg

Back
Top Bottom