Asta's Execution

Go to CruxDreams.com

Inugami

Condemned
Howdy y'all, been lurking here a while. Got some ideas going and figured I'd put them into a story and then post it here for your amusement. Starts out slow, fair warning, and it remains to be seen if it'll be good, but regardless, here goes!

---Proposal---

“Sir? Sir!” Rale almost tripped over a stray crate that blocked his path in his haste to catch up to his employer.

The tall, dark cloaked man ahead paused a moment, before turning to face his younger assistant.

Rale stopped cold, eyes locking with those of his employer. He'd been an assistant for several years now, but he had never quite become accustomed to Grath’s… presence? There was something off about him, but Rale found it difficult to pinpoint just what exactly it was.

Grath was certainly the strong silent type, though he would speak if need be. He was a sort of mercenary, though to say he was atypical would be putting mildly. Grath was skilled in espionage, protection of goods, even assassination. He had served one fellow as a common thug, and another as a House Guard. His skills seemed endless to one such as Rale, who fancied himself a sort of squire.

“Sir, Halanxe sent word from Luriea. Said she has an important task for you. Said she'll pay well.”

The edge of Grath’s mouth twitched, the closest he ever came to showing displeasure.

“Tell Halanxe to hang himself. He's cheated me from enough coin to last years.”

Rale held his hands up placatingly.

“But sir, Master Grath, Luriea is the ruler of this region of the Kingdom. Surely it wouldn't be in our best-”

He was cut off by Grath’s glare, not directed at him, but to the doorway behind. Rale turned to see the rotund form of Halanxe, captain of the City Guard, standing relaxed with a curious expression. How in the Seven Black Pits had he appeared so silently? Rale had to catch himself before he cursed from surprise.

“Grath, my good man. I was just looking for you.”

“Not interested.”

Grath’s reply was curt, as he spun to continue walking on.

Rale turned to follow, only to stop short. Halanxe stood on the opposite side of the room now, blocking Grath’s way forward. Rale looked back and found the previous doorway empty.

“Come now, you haven't even heard what I've come to tell you. Have some pity on an old Captain, my knees are screaming from the walk here.”

Grath eyed the fat guard.

“I don't need to hear what you have to say. There's money to be made, but it isn't here.”

He made to move past Halanxe, but the man nodded in the direction he had first arrived.

“If you aren't inclined to hear from me, at least listen to her.”

Rale turned to see a young woman leaning in the doorway, flowing gown glittering with every color jewel imaginable, and then some. Her long red hair easily reached her waist, braided in intricate webs around her head, lips painted black.

He almost cursed heavily, but instead, dropped to one knee and bowed as low as he could.

“M’lady!”

She ignored him, locking eyes with Grath.

“Luriea.” He said simply. Halanxe’s brow furrowed, and he stepped forward with a sharp rebuke ready on the tongue.

Luriea waved him off.

“Grath! So good to see you again, you're always welcome in my city. I expect you've found no better place to earn the gold you love so dearly?”

If Grath was a man prone to emotional outbursts, he might have snorted in derision. Instead, he replied.

“I've had better. At the very least, places that pay me in full.”

Luriea cocked one eyebrow, casting a glance back at Halanxe. The Captain had become very interested in the craftsmanship of the window frame, not meeting his ruler’s eye.

She tsked under her breath, shaking her head.

“I'm sorry, Grath. I wasn't aware there was such a miscommunication. I'll make sure you are paid what is fully owed you.”

Grath held her gaze a moment, before nodding once.

Luriea smiled. “Good. Now that that's decided, can we speak of doing further business together?”

The mercenary nodded once again, and allowed the lady to continue.

“I have a bit of a problem. I need someone dead, which I know you are quite capable of, but I need it done in such a way as to discourage anyone who would… copy, the perpetrator’s actions.”

Grath’s eye twitched skeptically.

“Have you run out of Executioners? Surely they would be more suited to a task such as the one you suggest.”

Luriea shook her head.

“Executioners I have, but not a single one with imagination. I need this wretch to die as painfully and as long as possible. I give any one of my brutes the task and the entire ordeal will last thirty seconds at best!”

With that, Grath couldn't argue. He'd seen plenty of executions in this city, the monstrous Executioners snapped strong men like twigs.

“I have a method in mind that would suffice. What is the pay?”

Luriea produced a small bag, handing it over to Grath with her intricately painted, delicate fingers.

He took the bag and opened it, peering inside for a long moment.

Rale stole over to the larger man, looking past his arm, trying to glimpse what the bag contained. He drew in a sharp breath when he realized what it was.

Grath quickly closed the bag and tucked it away into his sleeve, showing more caution than usual.

“I accept.” He said, simply

Luriea clapped her hands together, a bright smile spreading across her fair features.

“Excellent! Allow me to show you to her.”

Howdy y'all, been lurking here a while. Got some ideas going and figured I'd put them into a story and then post it here for your amusement. Starts out slow, fair warning, and it remains to be seen if it'll be good, but regardless, here goes!

---Proposal---

“Sir? Sir!” Rale almost tripped over a stray crate that blocked his path in his haste to catch up to his employer.

The tall, dark cloaked man ahead paused a moment, before turning to face his younger assistant.

Rale stopped cold, eyes locking with those of his employer. He'd been an assistant for several years now, but he had never quite become accustomed to Grath’s… presence? There was something off about him, but Rale found it difficult to pinpoint just what exactly it was.

Grath was certainly the strong silent type, though he would speak if need be. He was a sort of mercenary, though to say he was atypical would be putting mildly. Grath was skilled in espionage, protection of goods, even assassination. He had served one fellow as a common thug, and another as a House Guard. His skills seemed endless to one such as Rale, who fancied himself a sort of squire.

“Sir, Halanxe sent word from Luriea. Said she has an important task for you. Said she'll pay well.”

The edge of Grath’s mouth twitched, the closest he ever came to showing displeasure.

“Tell Halanxe to hang himself. He's cheated me from enough coin to last years.”

Rale held his hands up placatingly.

“But sir, Master Grath, Luriea is the ruler of this region of the Kingdom. Surely it wouldn't be in our best-”

He was cut off by Grath’s glare, not directed at him, but to the doorway behind. Rale turned to see the rotund form of Halanxe, captain of the City Guard, standing relaxed with a curious expression. How in the Seven Black Pits had he appeared so silently? Rale had to catch himself before he cursed from surprise.

“Grath, my good man. I was just looking for you.”

“Not interested.”

Grath’s reply was curt, as he spun to continue walking on.

Rale turned to follow, only to stop short. Halanxe stood on the opposite side of the room now, blocking Grath’s way forward. Rale looked back and found the previous doorway empty.

“Come now, you haven't even heard what I've come to tell you. Have some pity on an old Captain, my knees are screaming from the walk here.”

Grath eyed the fat guard.

“I don't need to hear what you have to say. There's money to be made, but it isn't here.”

He made to move past Halanxe, but the man nodded in the direction he had first arrived.

“If you aren't inclined to hear from me, at least listen to her.”

Rale turned to see a young woman leaning in the doorway, flowing gown glittering with every color jewel imaginable, and then some. Her long red hair easily reached her waist, braided in intricate webs around her head, lips painted black.

He almost cursed heavily, but instead, dropped to one knee and bowed as low as he could.

“M’lady!”

She ignored him, locking eyes with Grath.

“Luriea.” He said simply. Halanxe’s brow furrowed, and he stepped forward with a sharp rebuke ready on the tongue.

Luriea waved him off.

“Grath! So good to see you again, you're always welcome in my city. I expect you've found no better place to earn the gold you love so dearly?”

If Grath was a man prone to emotional outbursts, he might have snorted in derision. Instead, he replied.

“I've had better. At the very least, places that pay me in full.”

Luriea cocked one eyebrow, casting a glance back at Halanxe. The Captain had become very interested in the craftsmanship of the window frame, not meeting his ruler’s eye.

She tsked under her breath, shaking her head.

“I'm sorry, Grath. I wasn't aware there was such a miscommunication. I'll make sure you are paid what is fully owed you.”

Grath held her gaze a moment, before nodding once.

Luriea smiled. “Good. Now that that's decided, can we speak of doing further business together?”

The mercenary nodded once again, and allowed the lady to continue.

“I have a bit of a problem. I need someone dead, which I know you are quite capable of, but I need it done in such a way as to discourage anyone who would… copy, the perpetrator’s actions.”

Grath’s eye twitched skeptically.

“Have you run out of Executioners? Surely they would be more suited to a task such as the one you suggest.”

Luriea shook her head.

“Executioners I have, but not a single one with imagination. I need this wretch to die as painfully and as long as possible. I give any one of my brutes the task and the entire ordeal will last thirty seconds at best!”

With that, Grath couldn't argue. He'd seen plenty of executions in this city, the monstrous Executioners snapped strong men like twigs.

“I have a method in mind that would suffice. What is the pay?”

Luriea produced a small bag, handing it over to Grath with her intricately painted, delicate fingers.

He took the bag and opened it, peering inside for a long moment.

Rale stole over to the larger man, looking past his arm, trying to glimpse what the bag contained. He drew in a sharp breath when he realized what it was.

Grath quickly closed the bag and tucked it away into his sleeve, showing more caution than usual.

“I accept.” He said, simply

Luriea clapped her hands together, a bright smile spreading across her fair features.

“Excellent! Allow me to show you to her.”
"Starts out slow"? Starts out full of characters and intriguing detail. Looking forward to what follows.

Thank you for the kind reviews, you three. :)

---Restraint---

If a look could kill, Asta’s glare would have sliced through the rough ropes and strings that bound her palms and fingers together above her head. With her hands immobilized in such a way, she couldn't make use of her new ability to escape without blowing off one of her own hands, or both if she was unlucky.

She shifted uncomfortably, bare knees resting on the cold stone of the floor, her arms tied above her head in such a way that she was unable to properly sit.

Her midriff was exposed, her core muscles standing out against the strain on her arms. The cool air of the dungeon clung to every inch of exposed skin, climbing up her now ruined excuse for a tunic and tickling her nipples, making them stand erect. It was infuriating.

She was well built, not masculine at all but athletic. While it had drawn the attention of many men her age, it didn't help her out of her current predicament.

Asta cursed the ropes that bound her for the hundredth time within the hour. She wouldn't have been caught if she hadn't tried to steal from the city ruler directly, her arrogance had finally caught up. She couldn't help but wish she had gone after that fat one instead, what was his name? Hanxe? She couldn't quite recall. He seemed slow, and rich if his girth was any indication. It would have been smarter than the Pit-Dammed ruler of the city, the guards that had overtaken her immediately upon entering the palace were innumerable!

Asta let her head roll to one side, deep black hair brushing past her shoulder in an attempt to relieve some of the stiffness in her arms.

It didn't really help any.

She heard a creak and slam echo from farther up the dark corridor outside her cell, and figured it must be a visitor for her. She had neither seen nor heard from anyone other than the guards in this disgusting place.

Footsteps echoed, and Asta closed her eyes, listening intently. One pair… two. One definitely a woman and one definitely a man… a third set? Uncertain footing, that one had. She smiled to herself and opened her eyes.

Before her stood three figures, as she had guessed. One large man, one not much older than a boy, and….

Asta spat as far as she could, though it didn't even reach the bars of her large cell. She wished she could have reached even the hem of that gaudy dress, too many colors all clashing and sparkling at once. Pits, she'd have even settled for landing one on the ruler’s sandals, just so she could spit on the spiteful woman.

Luriea simply flashed a condescending smile in her direction, infuriating Asta further as she spoke to the two men beside her.

Rale couldn't help but stare.

When Luriea had spoken of drastic execution methods, he had assumed it would be some monster of a man that had raped an entire village of women or something. This wasn't the case apparently, as the only prisoner here was a woman. A very attractive one at that.

Her arms and shoulders were bare, held above her head by many ropes and strings. Her hands were tied together, each finger roped to its mate on the other hand as if the woman was praying. Her tunic was shredded as if she had been in a battle, hanging open just enough to reveal white bindings beneath that supported and hid her breasts.

Her midriff was impressive, still as shapely as any fair lady, but entirely exposed and quite fit. It was obvious this woman was no mere pampered lass. Her life had likely been as hard as his, maybe even as hard as Grath’s.

Rale paused at that thought, then shook his head with an embarrassed smile. Nobody had had as hard a life as Grath, at least, nobody Rale had ever met.

The girl shifted, bringing his attention to her knees and legs.

Smoke of the fourth pit! Rale almost exclaimed aloud. Her legs were as shapely as her middle, obviously fit but at the same time somehow graceful, elegant.

Even her feet were beautiful, however that was possible. Rale heard his name and, embarrassed at his lack of attentiveness, drew his attention to his master.

“Sorry, sir. Can you repeat that?”

Grath eyed him with his steely gaze.

“I said, you should wait outside. The girl is dangerous.”

That, Rale had a hard time believing. How could one so beautiful be dangerous too? It didn't make sense, however, if he had learned anything as a squire to Grath, it was to listen. The man was never wrong.

“What did she do, if I may ask?”

“You weren't listening.”

Grath’s reply was immediate. Rale flinched. Grath had probably noticed Rale staring at the girl the moment he had started.

Luriea seemed to be in an excellent mood, as she stepped over to Rale and rested her chin on his shoulder, standing behind him and gently moving his head to look at the prisoner again. Rale stiffened in more ways than one.

“That woman” Luriea breathed next to his ear, a slight smile playing on her painted lips. “Killed three House Guards after entering the palace to steal from the treasury. After she was captured and suspended as you see, we discovered that she was also behind some… odd deaths in the Low Commoner’s district.”

Luriea leaned closer, chest brushing up against Rale’s back, whispering the last part.

“Full grown men’s heads and other parts turned to red paste.”

She withdrew with a small chuckle as Rale’s eyes widened in horror.

The prisoner, who had nothing better to do than to listen and watch the newcomers, winked at Rale impishly. The action caused a slight stir in the squire, though it wasn't one of revolt.

“Sir.” he said, voice slightly less strong than he would have liked. “I would like to stay and learn from you.”

Grath didn't reply, but neither did he repeat his order for Rale to leave. Grath turned to Luriea.

“She must have at least The Hand. There's a possibility that she's hiding other abilities.”

Luriea nodded in agreement. “That's why we have her tied this way. If she attempts to use The Hand, she'll only injure herself. If her hands are ruined, her ability will be lost. I considered having them cut off, but I wanted to allow you to have a chance at her first.”

Grath turned toward the entrance and pulled a torch from the wall, waving it once. A guard appeared moments later, armor loudly clinking.

“It won't be enough, if she's Legion. The Hand wouldn't be the nearly the biggest problem to quell. She will need to be restrained further until preparations can be made for her execution.”

Grath handed a list to the guard, who glanced at if briefly and then clanked away into a small room at the end of the hall. He returned after a short while with several painful looking cuffs.

Luriea raised a perfect eyebrow, and Rale chose this opportunity to explain what he knew. “Most, maybe all of the abilities can be doused by rusted metal, as long as it's around every hand and foot. Master Grath discovered this about a month ago in-”

Grath shot him a look, causing him to stutter into silence.

“Rest assured, these cuffs will keep the prisoner from resisting with abilities.” Grath noted.

He turned grimly to the cell, holding the four rusted cuffs in one hand.

“The trick will be getting them on her.”

Thank you for the kind reviews, you three. :)

---Restraint---

If a look could kill, Asta’s glare would have sliced through the rough ropes and strings that bound her palms and fingers together above her head. With her hands immobilized in such a way, she couldn't make use of her new ability to escape without blowing off one of her own hands, or both if she was unlucky.

She shifted uncomfortably, bare knees resting on the cold stone of the floor, her arms tied above her head in such a way that she was unable to properly sit.

Her midriff was exposed, her core muscles standing out against the strain on her arms. The cool air of the dungeon clung to every inch of exposed skin, climbing up her now ruined excuse for a tunic and tickling her nipples, making them stand erect. It was infuriating.

She was well built, not masculine at all but athletic. While it had drawn the attention of many men her age, it didn't help her out of her current predicament.

Asta cursed the ropes that bound her for the hundredth time within the hour. She wouldn't have been caught if she hadn't tried to steal from the city ruler directly, her arrogance had finally caught up. She couldn't help but wish she had gone after that fat one instead, what was his name? Hanxe? She couldn't quite recall. He seemed slow, and rich if his girth was any indication. It would have been smarter than the Pit-Dammed ruler of the city, the guards that had overtaken her immediately upon entering the palace were innumerable!

Asta let her head roll to one side, deep black hair brushing past her shoulder in an attempt to relieve some of the stiffness in her arms.

It didn't really help any.

She heard a creak and slam echo from farther up the dark corridor outside her cell, and figured it must be a visitor for her. She had neither seen nor heard from anyone other than the guards in this disgusting place.

Footsteps echoed, and Asta closed her eyes, listening intently. One pair… two. One definitely a woman and one definitely a man… a third set? Uncertain footing, that one had. She smiled to herself and opened her eyes.

Before her stood three figures, as she had guessed. One large man, one not much older than a boy, and….

Asta spat as far as she could, though it didn't even reach the bars of her large cell. She wished she could have reached even the hem of that gaudy dress, too many colors all clashing and sparkling at once. Pits, she'd have even settled for landing one on the ruler’s sandals, just so she could spit on the spiteful woman.

Luriea simply flashed a condescending smile in her direction, infuriating Asta further as she spoke to the two men beside her.

Rale couldn't help but stare.

When Luriea had spoken of drastic execution methods, he had assumed it would be some monster of a man that had raped an entire village of women or something. This wasn't the case apparently, as the only prisoner here was a woman. A very attractive one at that.

Her arms and shoulders were bare, held above her head by many ropes and strings. Her hands were tied together, each finger roped to its mate on the other hand as if the woman was praying. Her tunic was shredded as if she had been in a battle, hanging open just enough to reveal white bindings beneath that supported and hid her breasts.

Her midriff was impressive, still as shapely as any fair lady, but entirely exposed and quite fit. It was obvious this woman was no mere pampered lass. Her life had likely been as hard as his, maybe even as hard as Grath’s.

Rale paused at that thought, then shook his head with an embarrassed smile. Nobody had had as hard a life as Grath, at least, nobody Rale had ever met.

The girl shifted, bringing his attention to her knees and legs.

Smoke of the fourth pit! Rale almost exclaimed aloud. Her legs were as shapely as her middle, obviously fit but at the same time somehow graceful, elegant.

Even her feet were beautiful, however that was possible. Rale heard his name and, embarrassed at his lack of attentiveness, drew his attention to his master.

“Sorry, sir. Can you repeat that?”

Grath eyed him with his steely gaze.

“I said, you should wait outside. The girl is dangerous.”

That, Rale had a hard time believing. How could one so beautiful be dangerous too? It didn't make sense, however, if he had learned anything as a squire to Grath, it was to listen. The man was never wrong.

“What did she do, if I may ask?”

“You weren't listening.”

Grath’s reply was immediate. Rale flinched. Grath had probably noticed Rale staring at the girl the moment he had started.

Luriea seemed to be in an excellent mood, as she stepped over to Rale and rested her chin on his shoulder, standing behind him and gently moving his head to look at the prisoner again. Rale stiffened in more ways than one.

“That woman” Luriea breathed next to his ear, a slight smile playing on her painted lips. “Killed three House Guards after entering the palace to steal from the treasury. After she was captured and suspended as you see, we discovered that she was also behind some… odd deaths in the Low Commoner’s district.”

Luriea leaned closer, chest brushing up against Rale’s back, whispering the last part.

“Full grown men’s heads and other parts turned to red paste.”

She withdrew with a small chuckle as Rale’s eyes widened in horror.

The prisoner, who had nothing better to do than to listen and watch the newcomers, winked at Rale impishly. The action caused a slight stir in the squire, though it wasn't one of revolt.

“Sir.” he said, voice slightly less strong than he would have liked. “I would like to stay and learn from you.”

Grath didn't reply, but neither did he repeat his order for Rale to leave. Grath turned to Luriea.

“She must have at least The Hand. There's a possibility that she's hiding other abilities.”

Luriea nodded in agreement. “That's why we have her tied this way. If she attempts to use The Hand, she'll only injure herself. If her hands are ruined, her ability will be lost. I considered having them cut off, but I wanted to allow you to have a chance at her first.”

Grath turned toward the entrance and pulled a torch from the wall, waving it once. A guard appeared moments later, armor loudly clinking.

“It won't be enough, if she's Legion. The Hand wouldn't be the nearly the biggest problem to quell. She will need to be restrained further until preparations can be made for her execution.”

Grath handed a list to the guard, who glanced at if briefly and then clanked away into a small room at the end of the hall. He returned after a short while with several painful looking cuffs.

Luriea raised a perfect eyebrow, and Rale chose this opportunity to explain what he knew. “Most, maybe all of the abilities can be doused by rusted metal, as long as it's around every hand and foot. Master Grath discovered this about a month ago in-”

Grath shot him a look, causing him to stutter into silence.

“Rest assured, these cuffs will keep the prisoner from resisting with abilities.” Grath noted.

He turned grimly to the cell, holding the four rusted cuffs in one hand.

“The trick will be getting them on her.”
beautiful as a wildcat, and as deadly. Unfortunately needs to be put down with extreme prejudice.
It's ancient folk lore that the touch of cold iron destroys the powers of the Old Folk.
No mean feat to outline an other world so vividly in two short chapters.

I wish I understood what the "Old Folk in the other world" meant, but I'm sure Inugami will explain in due course.

In the meantime, I do enjoy the thought of seriously large ironwork restraining a beautiful girl.
The Old Folk: the old Gods and the People of the Hills, now often called Fairies. "What you call them are made-up things the People of the Hills have never heard of - little buzzflies with butterfly wings and gauze petticoats, and shiny stars in their hair, and a wand like a schoolteacher's cane ... Butterfly wings, indeed! I've seen Sir Huon and a troop of his people setting off from Tintagel Castle for Hy-Brasil in the teeth of a sou-westerly gale, with the spray flying all over the castle and the Horses of the Hill wild with fright. Out they'd go in a lull, screaming like gulls, and back they'd be driven five good miles inland before they could come head to wind again. Butterfly-wings! It was Magic - Magic as black as Merlin could make it." (Puck of Pook's Hill)

Sorry y'all, got a new place so I've been busy with moving and unpacking. I'll be back to consistently updating soon though, promise!

Alright, all moved in, finally back in business!

PART 3

A simple guard loosed Asta’s bindings and attempted to step back quickly as he had been instructed. He was not quick enough, and even though Grath stood by close, ready to clamp the heavy rusted irons onto the woman, she was the slightest bit faster.

Asta slipped one foot behind the guard’s legs even as he backed away, straddling his hip and halting his backward motion lest he fall.

She twisted so the guard was between her and Grath, placed her palm to the poor fool’s head, and blew it off with the power of The Hand.

Grath immediately threw himself to the side, brain matter spraying the dungeon stones where he had once stood. He spun the chains so they wrapped around his forearms, cuffs in his hands, and charged.

Asta moved lithely, a mostly tan blur streaked with hole ridden black. She shot toward Luriea while Garth followed, only to find herself suddenly intercepted by a fat guard who appeared from thin air.

Halanxe threw all his weight, a ponderous amount, behind a punch.

Asta gracefully avoided it, changing direction to Rale, who had stood dumbfounded the moment the chaos had begun. Too late he jerked into motion, beginning to run to the side, but not before Asta caught his sleeve and swung herself behind him, pressing up close.

“Don't move, any of you!” she called out, caressing Rale’s cheek with a dangerous hand.

Despite the situation, having a woman that just murdered a guard right in front of him press close behind, Rale felt himself taken in by her. She was beautiful, strong, and somehow her nearness to him almost made him… calm. He was surprised at that. Why should he be calm now?

Grath stepped toward the pair with a deliberate stride, causing Asta to move Rale to face his master while she stood behind.

“Did you not hear me? I said don't move. I'll kill this boy if you take one more step!”

Grath stopped, a dangerous glint beginning to show behind his eyes.

Rale had heard the woman threaten him. He thought it was wonderful, which made his situation all the more confusing.

“You're using the Eye on my squire. You probably are Legion, even if you don't fully realize it yourself.” Grath’s voice was quiet, a dark rumbling within it as he spoke.

Asta scoffed. “The Eye? I don't even know what you're talking about. Step aside, let the boy and I pass, and nobody gets hur-”

She was cut off as Halanxe appeared beside her, throwing a snap kick into her ribs. The fat captain almost fell from the force of his own kick, but not before it sent Asta and Rale reeling to the side with a gasp as her breath was knocked away. She maintained hold of the squire as she fell, who didn't resist so long as she kept her ability active.

Grath glared at Halanxe even while darting forward, toward the prone forms of the criminal woman and his squire.

Asta, seeing that a hostage was no longer a viable option, released the boy and put both her palms to his.

He tried to turn to smile at her, just as she activated her ability, blowing his spinal cord through his stomach, and his stomach all over the floor in front of him. The force sent her skidding back, away from the fat guard and the tall man.

Rale choked, spitting up blood even as the wellness he felt being near the woman fade. It was replaced with a cold pain, a feeling of emptiness that enveloped his entire being.

Tears began to flow down his cheeks unbidden, and he tried to raise a hand to wipe them away lest Grath see. Upon finding even his hand wouldn't do as he bade, the tears flowed even greater.

There was a tremendous roar that shook the dungeon then, a sound so terrible it caused Asta, who had regained her feet, to freeze in mid stride.

Halanxe let out a string of curses and turned, disappearing right before a wall of sheer force hit Asta. She was lifted bodily by the force and flung into the hard stone wall of the dungeon, breath knocked from her lungs. She tried to breathe in quickly, but the force persisted, crushing her against the unforgiving stone. She almost cried out, but bit it back, trying to push herself away from the wall.

A renewed force struck her from behind, cutting like a whip through the air with a whistle, lashing across her back. She cried out briefly, struggling desperately to push herself off, but she wasn't strong enough. The lash came again, she could hear it before it struck, and it burned many times more than the first. She screamed with the breath she had left, weakly still trying to push her way out of her situation. It was as if a great weight had settled on her, though she faced the wall and not the floor, causing her to fear using her ability lest she be torn apart by opposing forces. The whip came again and again, more frequently now, driving most thoughts from her mind but the pain. Her arms spent, she ceased her vain attempts to escape, focusing instead on dealing with each burning, slicing lash as they came, screaming every time she was struck. She felt her tunic tearing further, shredding in the face of such an onslaught.

Great.

Asta thought to herself, some amount of reason still in the back of her mind.

If this keeps up I'll have to escape half naked.

The thought, even through the cacophony of violence being done to her, made her wonder at herself.

Then she passed out.

Grath whipped the woman mercilessly with his precise control over the Hand until her arms and legs went limp, and then some. He released his power suddenly and she slid down the wall to her knees, then slumped sideways to the floor, limp as a doll.

Grath immediately walked over to her in several long strides, and clasped the irons around her wrists and ankles. Her tunic was nearly gone after his attack, the breast bindings beneath also threadbare in the back.

“Every black pit man!”

Came a sputtered exclamation, Grath turning to see Halanxe sitting on the floor, Luriea only beginning to stand up behind him. His armor had a few new dents, Grath noted, bits of stone resting on the floor around the portly captain.

He glanced at the wall, finding the damage extensive.

“I trust you are unharmed, Luriea.”

Grath asked out of duty, more than any actual care.

“Oh yes.” Luriea said cheerfully. “Halanxe serves as quite a substantial obstruction when the situation calls for it. Grath, that was wonderful!”

Grath snorted softly, too soft for Luriea to hear.

“It will take several days for your men to prepare the execution with the instructions I gave them. I plan to assign someone to the execution and move on myself. I need to find a new squire.” His voice grew dark and he glanced at the eviscerated form of Rale lying on the stone floor.

“I understand. Pity you won't be around for it, but I trust whomever you pick for the job will have the stomach to avenge my people, and now, yours as well.”

Grath motioned for the guards to take the immobilized woman. “She's no longer a threat, so long as the chains aren't removed until the time specified in my instructions. Follow the order exactly, do exactly as my proxy will tell you.”

Grath turned and strode toward the exit, leaving the dungeon keepers to dispose of his squire’s corpse.

Grath had appreciated the boy’s hard work, as foolish as he was at times, he had been a studious learner. It would be difficult to find another like him.

Alright, all moved in, finally back in business!

PART 3

A simple guard loosed Asta’s bindings and attempted to step back quickly as he had been instructed. He was not quick enough, and even though Grath stood by close, ready to clamp the heavy rusted irons onto the woman, she was the slightest bit faster.

Asta slipped one foot behind the guard’s legs even as he backed away, straddling his hip and halting his backward motion lest he fall.

She twisted so the guard was between her and Grath, placed her palm to the poor fool’s head, and blew it off with the power of The Hand.

Grath immediately threw himself to the side, brain matter spraying the dungeon stones where he had once stood. He spun the chains so they wrapped around his forearms, cuffs in his hands, and charged.

Asta moved lithely, a mostly tan blur streaked with hole ridden black. She shot toward Luriea while Garth followed, only to find herself suddenly intercepted by a fat guard who appeared from thin air.

Halanxe threw all his weight, a ponderous amount, behind a punch.

Asta gracefully avoided it, changing direction to Rale, who had stood dumbfounded the moment the chaos had begun. Too late he jerked into motion, beginning to run to the side, but not before Asta caught his sleeve and swung herself behind him, pressing up close.

“Don't move, any of you!” she called out, caressing Rale’s cheek with a dangerous hand.

Despite the situation, having a woman that just murdered a guard right in front of him press close behind, Rale felt himself taken in by her. She was beautiful, strong, and somehow her nearness to him almost made him… calm. He was surprised at that. Why should he be calm now?

Grath stepped toward the pair with a deliberate stride, causing Asta to move Rale to face his master while she stood behind.

“Did you not hear me? I said don't move. I'll kill this boy if you take one more step!”

Grath stopped, a dangerous glint beginning to show behind his eyes.

Rale had heard the woman threaten him. He thought it was wonderful, which made his situation all the more confusing.

“You're using the Eye on my squire. You probably are Legion, even if you don't fully realize it yourself.” Grath’s voice was quiet, a dark rumbling within it as he spoke.

Asta scoffed. “The Eye? I don't even know what you're talking about. Step aside, let the boy and I pass, and nobody gets hur-”

She was cut off as Halanxe appeared beside her, throwing a snap kick into her ribs. The fat captain almost fell from the force of his own kick, but not before it sent Asta and Rale reeling to the side with a gasp as her breath was knocked away. She maintained hold of the squire as she fell, who didn't resist so long as she kept her ability active.

Grath glared at Halanxe even while darting forward, toward the prone forms of the criminal woman and his squire.

Asta, seeing that a hostage was no longer a viable option, released the boy and put both her palms to his.

He tried to turn to smile at her, just as she activated her ability, blowing his spinal cord through his stomach, and his stomach all over the floor in front of him. The force sent her skidding back, away from the fat guard and the tall man.

Rale choked, spitting up blood even as the wellness he felt being near the woman fade. It was replaced with a cold pain, a feeling of emptiness that enveloped his entire being.

Tears began to flow down his cheeks unbidden, and he tried to raise a hand to wipe them away lest Grath see. Upon finding even his hand wouldn't do as he bade, the tears flowed even greater.

There was a tremendous roar that shook the dungeon then, a sound so terrible it caused Asta, who had regained her feet, to freeze in mid stride.

Halanxe let out a string of curses and turned, disappearing right before a wall of sheer force hit Asta. She was lifted bodily by the force and flung into the hard stone wall of the dungeon, breath knocked from her lungs. She tried to breathe in quickly, but the force persisted, crushing her against the unforgiving stone. She almost cried out, but bit it back, trying to push herself away from the wall.

A renewed force struck her from behind, cutting like a whip through the air with a whistle, lashing across her back. She cried out briefly, struggling desperately to push herself off, but she wasn't strong enough. The lash came again, she could hear it before it struck, and it burned many times more than the first. She screamed with the breath she had left, weakly still trying to push her way out of her situation. It was as if a great weight had settled on her, though she faced the wall and not the floor, causing her to fear using her ability lest she be torn apart by opposing forces. The whip came again and again, more frequently now, driving most thoughts from her mind but the pain. Her arms spent, she ceased her vain attempts to escape, focusing instead on dealing with each burning, slicing lash as they came, screaming every time she was struck. She felt her tunic tearing further, shredding in the face of such an onslaught.

Great.

Asta thought to herself, some amount of reason still in the back of her mind.

If this keeps up I'll have to escape half naked.

The thought, even through the cacophony of violence being done to her, made her wonder at herself.

Then she passed out.

Grath whipped the woman mercilessly with his precise control over the Hand until her arms and legs went limp, and then some. He released his power suddenly and she slid down the wall to her knees, then slumped sideways to the floor, limp as a doll.

Grath immediately walked over to her in several long strides, and clasped the irons around her wrists and ankles. Her tunic was nearly gone after his attack, the breast bindings beneath also threadbare in the back.

“Every black pit man!”

Came a sputtered exclamation, Grath turning to see Halanxe sitting on the floor, Luriea only beginning to stand up behind him. His armor had a few new dents, Grath noted, bits of stone resting on the floor around the portly captain.

He glanced at the wall, finding the damage extensive.

“I trust you are unharmed, Luriea.”

Grath asked out of duty, more than any actual care.

“Oh yes.” Luriea said cheerfully. “Halanxe serves as quite a substantial obstruction when the situation calls for it. Grath, that was wonderful!”

Grath snorted softly, too soft for Luriea to hear.

“It will take several days for your men to prepare the execution with the instructions I gave them. I plan to assign someone to the execution and move on myself. I need to find a new squire.” His voice grew dark and he glanced at the eviscerated form of Rale lying on the stone floor.

“I understand. Pity you won't be around for it, but I trust whomever you pick for the job will have the stomach to avenge my people, and now, yours as well.”

Grath motioned for the guards to take the immobilized woman. “She's no longer a threat, so long as the chains aren't removed until the time specified in my instructions. Follow the order exactly, do exactly as my proxy will tell you.”

Grath turned and strode toward the exit, leaving the dungeon keepers to dispose of his squire’s corpse.

Grath had appreciated the boy’s hard work, as foolish as he was at times, he had been a studious learner. It would be difficult to find another like him.
Sorry to come late to this party. This is a fine, innovative, and compelling story. I do hope you continue with it. Great plot and characters, with the prospect of all sorts of things to come. I like the sense of learning a new culture and the motivations behind the various people.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Thanks for reading, Jollyrei :)

Sorry all for another delay, my wife gave birth a few days ago so I've been helping her out between work. I've got some of the next part written, but it'll be just a bit before I can continue on. Not too long though, hopefully. I'm told it becomes easier after the first week or so!

Thanks for reading, Jollyrei :)

Sorry all for another delay, my wife gave birth a few days ago so I've been helping her out between work. I've got some of the next part written, but it'll be just a bit before I can continue on. Not too long though, hopefully. I'm told it becomes easier after the first week or so!

How do you have any time or even brain cells to devote this this place?

Congratulations! ... they tell you things like that just to keep you from going crazy right away ;)

True, my eldest is 19 and I'm not out of the woods yet!

Great story Inugami, refreshingly different. Congratulations on the birth, it's a tremendous life changing event, and it will change you, hopefully for the better. Now you have someone who really depends on you, someone who will take you out of yourself and give you a stake in the future. Who will smooth some of your rough edges.
Enjoy this time, especially the early years.

Back
Top Bottom