Erotic helplessness : a study of the history of the Damsel in Distress theme in art

Go to CruxDreams.com
1345, Naples. Philippa of Catania, her son and granddaughter are being taken to execution. They, like many other criminals, were involved in the murder of Prince Andrew (a contender for the Neapolitan crown).
The executioners torment their naked bodies with red-hot tongs and cut off pieces of the skin with open razors. In the port of Naples they will be suspended from the masts of ships and subjected to strappado torture and flogging. Then they will be put back in the cart and driven to the final point of the journey, amid the hooting of an angry crowd. There is a hot fire burning there. They will be thrown into this flame while still alive.

All this can be seen in miniatures from ancient manuscripts.14_Witches bitten with pliers on their way to the stake.jpg19_Witches bitten with pliers at their breasts.jpg1713022480546.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Eulalia of Barcelona/Merída

1 F. Blanch, probably 19th Century: Eulalia stripped in public
2 Cibera, 1852 (illustration for Gaspar i Roig, “Año Cristiano”): Eulalia tied to a cross almost naked, soldiers coming with torches to torture her
3 José Noguera, 1855–70 (an “aleluya” from Spain): series of scenes showing the martyrdom of Eulalia

Blanch1.jpgCibera1.jpgNoguera1.jpg

Eulalia of Barcelona/Merída

1 F. Blanch, probably 19th Century: Eulalia stripped in public
2 Cibera, 1852 (illustration for Gaspar i Roig, “Año Cristiano”): Eulalia tied to a cross almost naked, soldiers coming with torches to torture her
3 José Noguera, 1855–70 (an “aleluya” from Spain): series of scenes showing the martyrdom of Eulalia

View attachment 1467912View attachment 1467913View attachment 1467914
Fortunately, most of the women have halos... you can do whatever you want to them...

Max Ernst created his collages from old periodicals, sensational novels and police memoirs:

View attachment 1468209View attachment 1468210

To my mind the originals are better and I am still looking for the components of these:

View attachment 1468208View attachment 1468204View attachment 1468205
@mysterybadger, you must post images which are smaller than 400kB - your images 'number 1' and 'number 2' were over a megabyte! You can read all about it in the terms and rules at the bottom of your screen.

On this occasion I have resized them for you.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom