Gabriella In Kytherramne

Go to CruxDreams.com

andy01

Magistrate
Gabriella in Kytherramne

The night before she was crucified, Gabriella Sivilla partied. From his balcony, working in the mellow evening by the light of a graceful lamp – a good piece that, made by Eumenides a century before – the tribune could see the blaze of lights and hear senseless laughter and parrot talk. Kytherramne’s bright young things had flocked around, perfumed and coiffeured and bright with jewels – and that was just the men, he thought sourly. Perhaps it was inevitable. Kytherramne hadn’t been a free city since Alexander’s day, and for the past fifty years it had just been an insignificant part of Asia province, costing Rome a damn sight more than it was worth in Galerius’ opinion. Still, it was a useful base for keeping down pirates preying on the trade between the Great and Lesser Inland Seas. Galerius kept a flotilla of picket boats and a pair of solidly built, blunt-rammed biremes, not big but fast and low in the water. The pirates hated them.

His face had softened, but as he looked down the hill, it hardened again. Since the civil wars there were too many of the young who wanted nothing but frivolity. Not just here but in Rome itself. They saw no need to learn soldiering; the legions were there to ensure their safety. No need to take public office and order the state; the Augustus would do that for them. No need to farm or trade or create businesses; they would live fatly on the fortunes their fathers had earned.

Pirates were lice on the civilised world. But gazing down the hill, the legate the legate felt a chilly fear that the disssolute folly of the new generation was a greater threat to the empire than ever the pirates had been.

And the leader of all this folly in Kytherramne – if these creatures could have a leader, any more than kittens could be herded – was Gabriella Sivilla. The brightest parties were always at her house. She was always there at the most scandalous pranks and outrages. At twenty-four years old, she was walking proof of the folly of leaving a woman without a husband. Her father had died when she was just eighteen and should already have been married, leaving as head of the family a senile uncle who never left his country estates and who would not take steps to get her married. It was strange indeed that her father, a shrewd man who had amassed the fortune she was now flaunting, should have been so foolish. Yet, until now, Galerius had never imagined she was more than a fool. But if Flavius was right – and Galerius had never known him wrong yet – then she was not just a fool but guilty of everything under the sun. And maybe he would have the chance to teach these fools a lesson that would bring them to their senses.

They would be in and out of that house half the night, eating, drinking wine watered at most one to one, gossiping and talking nonsense that would be treasonous if spoken by serious people. A torchlit procession came staggering out – half drunk already although dusk had barely fallen – off to brawl in taverns and worse.

Inside the house, every room was ablaze with pure beeswax candles and lamps burning finest oils, all scented with different perfumes. In the atrium, flutes and stringed instruments were playing, and there was dancing. Elsewhere the couches were laid out around tables loaded with food, and the talk sparkled in verbal contests as first one and then another tripped an opponent. As always, there was a small crowd weeping with laughter around Julius Herennius as he acted out episodes of the lives of the great and good, and laid bare the real motives behind high words and proclamations.

“Gabriella darling, what a wonderful party, and what a wonderful dress … black silk and white skin … it’s disgraceful someone hasn’t torn it off you!”

“Well at least I know I’m safe with you Rufy. Isn’t Quintus with you?”

“Oh he’s over there making eyes at Herennius, the little bitch. Are you wearing black for my broken heart?”

“I can’t go into mourning three times a week, Rufy. No, I just think this shows up my hair ... don’t you?” She lowered her head and gazed up at him teasingly. “Besides, I’m feeling rather black just now.”

“Oh Gabby, why?”

For a moment the elfin face was sombre. Then she grinned again. “Just am.”

“Oh I know Gabby. Nothing ever happens in this dump. But say … hadn’t you heard about Mira?”

“I’ve been out at the villa for the past ten days Rufy. Do tell?”

“Oh she and Herennius got into a fight about something or other … one of his little bits of fluff I imagine … and he gave her the most marvellous black eye. Black as your dress, darling. Anyway, you know that cook of hers? What’s her name?”

“Ginny I think, something like that. Been in the family a long time. Used to be her wet nurse I think …”

“Well that would explain it … you know how broody they get. Anyway, seems she’d got a bit tired of Henny knocking her little girl about, so she planned to cook up a toadstool soup for him …”

“You mean …”

“Yep, our Henny very nearly had to miss your party darling, owing to a previous engagement. Luckily one of the kitchen maids cottoned on to what she was doing, and as she didn’t really fancy getting the cross, she told the steward and he told Mira, and she told Henny – who didn’t really see the joke.”

“Oh gods,” Gabriella murmured, looking a little sick.

“No problem, Gabby. In fact it’s the first bit of excitement we’ve had for ages. The steward nabbed her before she could get some of the soup for herself and they both went up to the barrack cells this afternoon …”

“Both?”

“This Ginny and the other kitchen maid, the one who didn’t tell. I saw them taken up this afternoon, bit fat Ginny looking like the bottom had fallen out of her world, and a little scrawny scrubbing girl bawling that she didn’t know and please won’t her mistress forgive her. So it’s hammer and nails for two tomorrow.”

“They’re going to crucify them?” Gabriella’s voice was faint.

“Of course they are. Can’t have slaves messing up the soup, it spoils good food and we’d all be afraid to go to a party. Oh Gabby you will come and watch won’t you. It’s been months since I saw a crucifixion … and fatty Ginny, she’ll baste herself in her own lard on a cross ... And think of the delicious contrast of that big arsed cook hung up with a scrawny little skivvy …”

“You really enjoy crucifixions, don’t you Rufy? I’ll leave you to it.”

“You won’t be there?”

“No, these things make me sick. Oh yes I know it has to be done and I don’t blame Mira … or Henny really, come to that. I think I’ll go and get another drink.”

Rufius Cearnor shook his head sadly as he watched Gabriella sway away across the room, her rounded backside swaying delightfully. Though not that way inclined, Cearnor was a connoisseur and the girl’s slender form, long legs, long arms, beautifully shaped breasts – someone should make a statue of her. Maybe a bronze. He’d buy it like a shot.

But a strange girl. Bubbling with laughter half the time, leaping into all sorts of games, but then suddenly gloomy, like tonight. Almost afraid, at times, he imagined. And lovely as she was, she never kept a lover more than a day or two. And he couldn’t remember when last she had taken one. Maybe that was what she needed, a really good rogering. Pity though, she was a nice kid.

The stone Flavius tossed onto the legate’s table glistened as it bounced. It seemed to draw in and distil the lamplight, radiant on the dark leather of the desk.

“She was a fool to put a stone like that on the market. Even in Tyre it was remarkable, and once it was recognised, well …”

“All right Marcus Flavius, what have you got?”

“All of it, Publius Galerius. The whole story. It’s taken me three months to trace that sparkler back from Tyre to here, and another month to get the rest of the story.”

Briefly he outlined what he had learned. It had started seven years earlier with pirate raids on ships carrying shipments of jewels – raids that had gone unchecked for almost two years. For the past three years, Flavius had spent all the spare time he had to trying to trace what had happened.

“For a while I thought it was Pius Sivillius who was behind it. He had the resources, and with his contacts in the jewel trade he’d have known when the good stones were being shipped. And he was senior autarch; he could give pirates any protection they asked.”

“Yes, I remember Sivillius,” the legate murmured. “I met him when we were coming back from Egypt. We’d broken the rebellion’s back at Actium but there was chaos everywhere. We hadn’t the men or time to put everything right, and this place was running better than most. And he was running it. All through the civil wars, when people were backing the wrong side or losing their heads he’d kept his – and most of the losers’ estates as well. What in hell could we do, Flavius. Either leave the big fish in charge or chop him up and feed him to the others. Either way we had to move on fast to the real danger spots, and come back later when we could. But none of us liked it much. What made you so sure it wasn’t him?”

“He died six years ago, but the raids didn’t stop – not for months. When I learned that, I crossed Sivillius off my list. In the end, this was about five years ago, one of the local gang leaders, a man called Allius, was washed up on shore with his throat cut. He’d been in the water a long time, almost certainly thrown off a ship at sea. Then there were no more raids. And for a long time, that was all I could learn.”

“Until this turned up in Tyre, a diamond stolen in one of those raids? So you say you’ve traced it?”

“Right back to one of Sivillius’s companies. Owned by his daughter now. They’ve run the jewellery trade on all this coast, and a lot more. She’s been feeding these onto the markets little by little for years. She’s got such a huge trade nobody noticed a few extras, but once I’d realised it was easy enough to pick up others.”

“You say ‘she’? Why not someone in the companies, a crooked manager or book keeper? Can we prove it’s her.”

“There’s a strongbox in her study out at her villa. I had one of my lads sneak in and pick the lock last night. It’s got thirty packets of jewels. He brought me one. A lot of the stones are fairly ordinary, but some … well, I’ve had seven identified for certain, and they were all lost to pirates.”

The legate steepled his fingers and thought for some minutes. Then he nodded. “We’ll have to move now, before she finds the packet gone. Bring me the senior archons … Alexias and Lyssiades. They’re both in town. I warned them they might be needed.”

An hour or so before dawn Gabriella Sivilla woke gasping, her silken sheets clammy with sweat. She sat in bed shaking, then burst into silent sobs. Always that nightmare of her lover lying on the litter on the beach, water dribbling from his lank hair and his face … but he had no face because the fishes … And beside him her father standing, his face melting like wax in the sun, sliding down on the left side, dribbling …

Her beautiful Allius … her strong, loving father. The glories of her life. Her strongholds. And she had ruled the future with them. In perfect harmony of mind they had worked and planned. Father was lord of Kytherramne and all the coastal plain, strong as a king. Now he planned to bind all together, gather the wealth to gain influence in Rome and be declared not just a makeshift governor but independent king and ally of the Roman people. With Allius as his right hand, to reach out and snap up ships with the jewels he needed. Night after night they met and planned, and success came swift. Time after time Allius took out his hired crews and came back with the sun in his eyes and in the stones he brought with him.

How do you make the fates laugh? Tell them your plans. At the age of forty-eight Pius Sivillius was struck down by a massive stroke, and after two months had died. Allius had carried his schemes forward, and Gabriella had played her part. Played her part as if she were an actor on a stage reciting lines and performing actions that someone else had written for her. That her father had written for her.

But Allius went too often to the well. The crews grew shifty. With Pius Sivillius, first archon of Kytherramne dead, who would ensure the patrol boats were diverted and the beaches clear of watchers? One night he sailed, his crew well paid with gold, and the ship never returned. His body washed ashore three days later. And Gabriella Sivilla, his lover, threw open her house to the empty-headed chatterers, to the music and laughter and the barely watered wine.

At a little after dawn next morning, Gabriella Sivilla’s carriage was waiting outside the town walls to take her to her villa in the hills. It waited until noon, but she did not come. By then she was otherwise engaged.

When the watchmen stopped her at the gate and required her to go with them to the archons, she felt a dull wave of exasperation. Her mouth was sour and there was a slight throbbing in her temples. She wanted to be out of the town in the clean hill air, not have to go to those dull men to be lectured and scolded like a child. What was it this time, she wondered. Had someone smashed up a bar after the party last night? Well, why pick on her for it? She hadn’t been there. Or had Henny touched them on the raw with another of his epigrams? They couldn’t touch her for that either, and their gloomy sulks would only provoke him. That one about the chief archon’s long drooping face and short drooping other part … that had been composed after they’d all been brought up for a lecture. Why couldn’t they leave her alone?

In the waiting room outside the council chamber, a shaft of light through the dusty air lit up the gold of Gabriella’s hair, and the honey-sweet smoothness of her shoulders. But Gabriella did not feel a quarter as beautiful as she looked. Her mouth was sour with last night’s wine, her head was throbbing and her stomach was growling with hunger. They had kept her waiting for … an hour? More? She wished they would get on with it, get whatever they wanted over with, so she could get out of this stale, dusty room, out to the clean air of the country.

There was a scrabbling at the council chamber door, and it lurched open. Herennius backed out, his head jerking in something between a nod and a bow, making little gasping noises of assent like a fawning puppy. As he turned, Gabriella saw his face was sickly green as if he was about to throw up. He saw her. His mouth dropped open and his eyes bulged. Then he clapped his hand across his mouth and rushed from the room.

Before Gabriella could take more than a couple of steps, the door slammed open and the head of the city watch strode in. He paced over to her, his face grim and vicious, and before she realised his intention his arm swung round in a smashing slap across her face that sent her stumbling back against the wall.

“That’s for my brother, bitch. My brother the sailor, who your filthy pirates murdered. You and your filthy father.”

Gabriella jerked her hand from her face and stared in disbelief at the smear of red from her bleeding lip.

“Take her away. You’ve got two hours – tell them that.”

Watchmen seized her; before she knew what was happening she was being hustled down the corridor, out into the yard behind hall.

A couple of watchmen were humping a dirty mattress through a peeling wooden door. Gabriella was driven through afterwards, and the stink of the room hit her. The room was a part-time grain store, and stank of that, but also of sweat and urine and semen.

For a moment she could make nothing out in the gloom, but a shrill shriek drilled her ears: “No there, not like that again … please not again.”

There was a table, she could make it out. And a figure jerking against it. A naked man with his back to her, grunting … and either side of his legs, white thinness. The kitchen maid must be bent over the table, and he was raping her …

And over there, on her knees, the cook was grasped by the hair by a man who was pumping her face savagely against his groin as she gasped and retched. And for all her horror at the scene, a part of Gabriella that seemed to be observing all this from outside was amazed at the size of that wobbling white bottom.

She felt a savage jerk at the neck of her robe and she heard it tear. She felt hand rip the silken undergarment off.

And the watchman pointed to the dirty mattress, with the dust still sifting down that had been raised when they threw it into the room. “Down there, bitch, on your hands and knees like the bitch you are!”

Later, among the bright young things of Kytherramne, it would be quite a topic of party conversation whether Gabriella had been more fortunate than the cook and the kitchen maid.

She had only to endure the watchmen’s savagery for a couple of hours, the pro side would argue. True, said the cons, but the watchmen knew they only had a couple of hours, and Gabby would really have been worked over hard.

Yes, said the pros, but neither the cook nor the kitchen maid was much of a looker – most of the watchmen’s pleasure would have been in controlling and hurting, whereas Gabby was a treat to be savoured. Maybe for you or me darling, said the cons, but the watch isn’t chosen for connoisseurship.

But at least the cook and maid had borne the first brunt, said the pros. The watchmen were not that fresh when they got Gabriella, and that must surely have helped. Didn’t look like it when they were taking her out to the cross, said the cons. Remember how welted and reddened she was where they’d taken their scabbard to her arse and thighs to make her wiggle her goods for them – didn’t look to me like they were tired.

As philosophical enquiry, it may not have matched the golden age of Athens, but the bright young things found it an endlessly fascinating debate.

Whether she was more or less lucky than the two slaves, by the time the two hours had passed Gabriella was frantic with pain, misery, disgust. At last they picked her up by her arms and legs and carried her out into the bright glare of the dusty yard and threw her down.

As she lay there, sobbing and shaking with shock, she heard an angry voice. “You bitch, Gabby, you stupid, stupid bitch.”

Slowly she raised her head. Red toe nails beneath the hem of a pure white pleated dress. A golden belt. A head made invisible by the dazzle of the sun behind.

“M…Mira …?”

“Do you realise what you’ve done? They’ve exiled Henny because of you … seven years in some lousy African veteran’s settlement with retired soldiers and their women and pissy nappies … seven years for consorting with criminals … you, you bitch, you …”

“Mira, please, don’t scold … I think I’m broken here … please Mira, help me … get my litter … take me home Mira …”

“Home! Do you think that’s it, Gabby? They’re just going to beat you up a bit and then let you go … No way Gabby, you’re going with these two!”

“Please, Mira, don’t scold. What do you mean, go with them?”

“What do you think? You’re going to do the roadside jig, Gabby, the arms-wide feet-together tango. They’re going to nail you up Gabby, and it serves you right. Seven years!”

“No … I’m not a slave … I … I’m a citizen … My father was …”

“You’re not a Roman, it’s only Romans who don’t get the cross. They nearly crucified Henny too, you bitch. It was only because my uncle talked them out of it he’s just getting exile.”

(Here Mira was mistaken. Publius Galerius has advised the archons to give Herennius a scare and they had done so, but in fact they had never intended to carry through their threat.)

“I tell you the only good thing, Gabby. We’ve got ten days to prepare before we have to leave, so I’ll be able to see the birds pecking your eyes out. And I’ll be singing to see it. You’ve ruined it for everyone. Everyone.”

With a despairing wail Gabriella wormed in the dust towards her as if to clasp her feet, but Mira leapt back. “Don’t touch me,” she hissed. “You stink.”

I like this a lot.
And Gabriella Sivilla, his lover, threw open her house to the empty-headed chatterers, to the music and laughter and the barely watered wine
… you know how broody they get. Anyway, seems she’d got a bit tired of Henny knocking her little girl about, so she planned to cook up a toadstool soup for him …
... victims who've certainly earned their crosses but for understandable reasons...
As philosophical enquiry, it may not have matched the golden age of Athens, but the bright young things found it an endlessly fascinating debate.
... an interestng way to reflect back on her abuse without going through the descriptions ... we can imagine...
the legate felt a chilly fear that the disssolute folly of the new generation was a greater threat to the empire than ever the pirates had been
hmmm we will see whether that folly is curable by a resolute demonstration of the old traditions ;)

I like this a lot.

... victims who've certainly earned their crosses but for understandable reasons...

... an interestng way to reflect back on her abuse without going through the descriptions ... we can imagine...

hmmm we will see whether that folly is curable by a resolute demonstration of the old traditions ;)
I like your take on these parts, so many thanks Malins.
"We will see whether that folly is curable by a resolute demonstration of the old traditions." Oh I hope so, the ideas are still forming, I hope they will match the promise.
PS: I love your avatar

Thanks Jeddak, praise from you is praise indeed. Trying to think where this goes next.

Not always easy to figure that out, is it? I'm about to finish a story now that I thought I'd just about done with two months ago, but I kept seeing opportunities to improve it, add some humor, more dialogue, etc. For me, it's done when I can read through it and say yes, that's what that character would have said here, or done here, and it all flows smoothly, and I don't feel a pressing need to make any more changes. That only works if you don't have a deadline!

Not always easy to figure that out, is it? I'm about to finish a story now that I thought I'd just about done with two months ago, but I kept seeing opportunities to improve it, add some humor, more dialogue, etc. For me, it's done when I can read through it and say yes, that's what that character would have said here, or done here, and it all flows smoothly, and I don't feel a pressing need to make any more changes. That only works if you don't have a deadline!
Which I seem to have set for myself. Oh dear :(
Very pleased to hear you have a story forming. Eager to read that (but no pressure; let it take its time to flower). Your stories are so vivid, so well paced, so terror-filled.

The killing ground outside Kytherramne was a mean place set in a hollow beside the track that led across the coastal plain. There were four strong posts of weathered wood standing up from the tussocked grass but otherwise nothing to make a traveller pause and look. Unless they knew the purpose of those posts, few even noticed them - though slaves sent on errands knew and looked away and learned the lesson.

A mean place and seldom used. As Rufius had complained it had been months since there had been a crucifixion in Kytherramne. That had been a good one though. A pirate who the squadron had brought back, unusually because they mostly executed them (when they managed to catch them) on some headland as warning, but this had been an important catch, a "Pirate King" indeed. A magnificent specimen, tall and splendidly muscled and savage as a boar. He had given the watch a lot of trouble, even with the hurt beam roped across him, rushing and trying to beat them down with it.

Even after they'd wrestled him down onto the ground he fought like a fury, howling insults at them and the watching crowd - oh yes, he got quite a crowd. Even when they nailed his wrists, even when they hauled him up and hoisted the beam onto the post he was howling in fury as much as pain. Rufy had thanked the Gods the terrifying demon was nailed and couldn't get at him. That night, as he made the evening offering, he had been trembling as he begged his fates to keep pirates far away from him.

And Gods how he bucked and struggled, his big prick and balls bouncing wildly. Some of the local lads had made a keen competition throwing stones but it was Rufy who first got a direct hit on the jerking target. He still felt hot pride in that achievement.

The cross had broken the man of course. It always did. That's what it was for. Before the sweat began to run down Rufy's back the man was broken, screaming for mercy. Before Rufy turned away to piss, the man was begging for an end, begging the guards to kill him as he jerked and twisted on his cross. Not so kingly then, was he?

Three days later the town slaves had wrestled out the nails from his feet and hands, picked up the body and thrown it on the midden. It had taken them almost an hour to knock out the wedges that held the beam on the post and to hammer it up, so tightly had the pirate's struggles forced in down in place. They carried it up to the barracks and left the dingy hollow with its standing posts that passers-by would hardly notice, unless they knew what they were for.

TBC

The cross had broken the man of course. It always did.

TBC

Excellent male crux scene. Brief, but so effective.
"The cross had broken the man of course. It always did."
Yes, they always break. Some with more dignity than others. Some go to their fate with resignation, some fight like this boar, but that leaves them all the further to fall from their pride and strength.
This Gabby, now, she is proud and angry and she is in for a fall. Pride and privilege don't hang well on a cross.

"This town's had it Henny. Without you and Mira … and Gabby come to that …"

"Don't talk to me about Gabby. This is her bloody fault. Seven years Rufy, seven bloody years, not even in a decent city, in bloody Thapsus, because of that stupid cunt."

Herennius was almost weeping, maudlin. He'd been drinking steadily - or increasingly unsteadily - since he'd stumbled home from the council chamber. Slumped on the edge of the litter he didn't even look up, just held out his goblet for the slave to pour. He brushed his hand across his face.

"Bloody flies. Too bloody hot." He laughed bitterly. "Not like bloody Thapsus, that's even hotter and the flies'll be everywhere. Nothing but flies, in the food, down your back, creeping up your crotch. How can they do this to me Rufy? Don't I have rights? I didn't know what that bitch had been up to."

He raised his head and looked across at Rufius, eyes tearful. "Fact is Rufy, they just don't like me. 'S'not anything I've done. They've got it in for me you know. Tha's what it is."

He looked down at the hollow with its waiting posts. "Why'nt they get on with it Rufy? Here, you, fill me up again."

"Gotta be starting soon Henny."

Three of the watchmen were talking in the hollow, waiting. They'd laid out their tools on a sack on the ground, a hammer, nails, some wooden wedges, a couple of water gourds. The simple bare necessities for a crucifixion.

"And after all, Henny, it'll be something to remember. Three of them, all this morning. I've never seen three put up. And what a set they'll make. A fat one, a skinny one, and Gabby. Oh definitely something to remember."

Herennius twisted his mouth in something close to a smile. "Yeah," he said. "At least I get to see Gabby going up. Something to see that'll be. Stupid cunt but the best body on the coast. I enjoyed having her you know, quite a few times. Bloody good fuck she was. I'll be thinking about that while she's doing her polka. And when I'm in bloody Thapsus."

He lapsed into gloom again.

"And before you go, we'll watch a terrific crucifixion and then we'll throw a party like this town's never seen. Oh we'll have gaudy nights Henny, just you wait."

Rufius' eyes were eager.

The rattle of a drum was heard from the town, along with a shrill keening. "Here they come," he said.

Herrenius jerked to his feet, gazing towards the walls. He held out his cup to the slave. "Fill me up again," he said.
TBC

The killing ground outside Kytherramne was a mean place set in a hollow beside the track that led across the coastal plain. There were four strong posts of weathered wood standing up from the tussocked grass but otherwise nothing to make a traveller pause and look. Unless they knew the purpose of those posts, few even noticed them - though slaves sent on errands knew and looked away and learned the lesson.

Nice description - "a mean place" sort of gives me a picture of a kind of barren spot, and those three posts there, obviously for a purpose, but only when you saw them in use, the shocking sight of a naked human being in agony, begging for mercy, for death, and no one offering them any mercy whatever, only when you actually watched that in horrified fascination, heard the screams, the smells of brutal torture, would you really understand that purpose.

He had given the watch a lot of trouble, even with the hurt beam roped across him, rushing and trying to beat them down with it.

This is great, something you hardly ever see, a victim who's dangerous even with his arms tied to the patibulum, using it as a weapon. I thought about something like this for "The Serpent's Eye" but went a different route.

And Gods how he bucked and struggled, his big prick and balls bouncing wildly. Some of the local lads had made a keen competition throwing stones but it was Rufy who first got a direct hit on the jerking target. He still felt hot pride in that achievement.

This is just the thing I think people would have inevitably done - tried to aim a stone at a crucified man's balls, make a contest out of it. I think there'd have been a limit as to what the guards would have allowed, not enough damage to shorten his time on the cross, because he needed to suffer for long enough to sufficiently pay the price for his crimes.

The cross had broken the man of course. It always did. That's what it was for. Before the sweat began to run down Rufy's back the man was broken, screaming for mercy. Before Rufy turned away to piss, the man was begging for an end, begging the guards to kill him as he jerked and twisted on his cross. Not so kingly then, was he?

This is why the Romans used the cross - agony and enough time would always break a victim. And with the cross, there was plenty of time and more to accomplish that.

It had taken them almost an hour to knock out the wedges that held the beam on the post and to hammer it up, so tightly had the pirate's struggles forced in down in place.

This is something most people don't give much thought about, but if the mortise and tenon joints were cut with a taper, which makes sense, then the victim's struggles would work them together more tightly as time went on. You probably would have to knock them apart with a hammer.

Excellent writing once again!

Nice description - "a mean place" sort of gives me a picture of a kind of barren spot, and those three posts there, obviously for a purpose, but only when you saw them in use, the shocking sight of a naked human being in agony, begging for mercy, for death, and no one offering them any mercy whatever, only when you actually watched that in horrified fascination, heard the screams, the smells of brutal torture, would you really understand that purpose.

This is great, something you hardly ever see, a victim who's dangerous even with his arms tied to the patibulum, using it as a weapon. I thought about something like this for "The Serpent's Eye" but went a different route.

This is just the thing I think people would have inevitably done - tried to aim a stone at a crucified man's balls, make a contest out of it. I think there'd have been a limit as to what the guards would have allowed, not enough damage to shorten his time on the cross, because he needed to suffer for long enough to sufficiently pay the price for his crimes.

This is why the Romans used the cross - agony and enough time would always break a victim. And with the cross, there was plenty of time and more to accomplish that.

This is something most people don't give much thought about, but if the mortise and tenon joints were cut with a taper, which makes sense, then the victim's struggles would work them together more tightly as time went on. You probably would have to knock them apart with a hammer.

Excellent writing once again!
Thanks Jeddak.
Praise from you is praise indeed.
As for freeing the beam, I think that grew from something you posted years ago detailing how you had prepared a (half-scale) "field cross", the upright with a triangular projection at the top on which a similar cut-out in the beam would fit.
And how tightly they set together and the effort needed to separate them. It was one of the most interesting posts I ever saw (if you still have it, it's be great if you could re-post it as somehow I've lost it).

Thanks Jeddak.
Praise from you is praise indeed.
As for freeing the beam, I think that grew from something you posted years ago detailing how you had prepared a (half-scale) "field cross", the upright with a triangular projection at the top on which a similar cut-out in the beam would fit.
And how tightly they set together and the effort needed to separate them. It was one of the most interesting posts I ever saw (if you still have it, it's be great if you could re-post it as somehow I've lost it).

You're really showing your age, Andy! I did that back in 2003. And having thought about it occasionally over the years, I know how to do this better and more efficiently now than I did when I was a young whippersnapper of 54! Here's the PDF that I posted back then, attached.

Attachments

• Mortise and Tenon.pdf
    437.7 KB · Views: 206
You're really showing your age, Andy! I did that back in 2003. And having thought about it occasionally over the years, I know how to do this better and more efficiently now than I did when I was a young whippersnapper of 54! Here's the PDF that I posted back then, attached.
A nice piece of historical experimentation there, Jedakk. And you did it with the same basic tool available to a Roman carpenter or soldier. I'm not sure if they would have used a template, but it's not out of the question.
The mortise and tenon joint has been in use for thousands of years. It would be the easiest way to join two pieces of wood without nails.
Hey! Nails are expensive! Save those for wrists and feet.:D

A nice piece of historical experimentation there, Jedakk. And you did it with the same basic tool available to a Roman carpenter or soldier. I'm not sure if they would have used a template, but it's not out of the question.
The mortise and tenon joint has been in use for thousands of years. It would be the easiest way to join two pieces of wood without nails.
Hey! Nails are expensive! Save those for wrists and feet.:D

Yes, the tools I used were similar, but Romans would probably have used a frame saw, similar to that buck saw I used, and they'd definitely have had a draw knife, which I didn't have. One reason for using a template like that was for consistency and repeatability. If you had to make multiple crosses, you'd rather not have the two parts be match fits, but interchangeable. Not a given unless you have a single measurement standard to use, and in this case a simple template like that could serve that purpose.

Up until the late 19th - early 20th century, joinery was the preferred way for attaching structural members rather than using nails. I've actually got a book here on Roman woodworking that includes some examples of very complex joinery that the Romans employed. And the dovetail notch I used here is something just about anyone would have been able to make. I used to teach 11-14 year old boy scouts to make those on a smaller scale using a pocket knife and a camp saw.

Jedakk, this discussion of mortise and tenon joints and using a template inspired me. I never though of it before, but they had to use a template if they were going to reuse the same stipes, right? So, what if they forgot to use it? And that led to this:
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/albanius-very-bad-day.5652/
Andy, sorry we side tracked your thread with a discussion on Roman carpentry.

Well, I did give Andy a plug over on my "Altered States" thread. It would be a shame if people missed what he's posting here, he's a talented storyteller!

Back
Top Bottom