Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
On the night of April 30 to May 1, 1945, Soviet soldiers hoisted the red Banner of Victory over the defeated Reichstag in Berlin.

The honor of raising the red banner over the Nazi lair fell to the scouts of the 150th Infantry Division, Mikhail Egorov and Meliton Kantaria, led by Lieutenant Alexei Berest.
The Reichstag was captured by Red Army soldiers on May 1, 1945. The fighting in Berlin continued until the complete surrender of the Berlin garrison on May 2, 1945.

An interesting feature should be noted. SS troops took a particularly active part in the defense of the German capital and provided fierce resistance. These were the French division "Charlemagne", where mainly ethnic French served, and the SS division "Nordland", consisting of Dutch, Danes, and Norwegians. In this one can notice a certain paradox that the German capital was desperately stubbornly defended by non-Germans.

It is also interesting to note that for the Russian army this was the third time in history when it had to enter Berlin.
It was first taken in 1760 during the Seven Years' War, when the Russian vanguard of General Chernyshev captured the capital of Prussia. Russian troops entered Berlin for the second time in 1813, during the Napoleonic Wars. And finally, for the third time, Berlin was taken by storm after heavy fighting on May 2, 1945.scale_1200 (1).pngupload-TASS_1207448-pic905v-895x505-27343.jpg

For me, the greatest (in spite of Alain Prost, Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton...)... and also the craziest!
I recently watched a documentary about him, and learned that a rules change in F1 may have played into his fatal crash. The cars his team were driving had some form of new technology that assisted in traction control and stability (if I recall correctly), and the cars were basically designed around that. The F1 governing body decided they had an unfair advantage and banned use of that technology. Senna and his team mates had drive the cars with that tech disabled, which made them unstable, and there was no way to modify the cars to go without it.
Not sure what the actual cause of his crash was, but I wonder if that rule change didn't contribute to it.

Back
Top Bottom