Need help for some crux questions

Go to CruxDreams.com
Because I do not live in an english country, so it is difficult to find some english materials related to crux. Even some limited materials I have found can't tell if that's true. So I need your help friends now. :hello:

That I hope to get some information about the crucifixion of the Egypt before the rule of Rome . Such as “When did Egypt first use the crucifixion?” , “The crucifixion is an official criminal law of Egypt or not?” , “Will the egyptians crucify women?” , “Is it the same as the Roman cross at the time of execution?” , “Will the nobles or the priests can be crucified?” ......

Perhaps this information is rare, but even Ptolemaic Dynasty's data would have helped me a lot. Whether I get help or not, I thanked everyone in advance!

Thank you my friends! :thumbup:

I hope to get some information about the crucifixion of the Egypt before the rule of Rome .
I do not think crucifixion is particularly associated with pre-Roman Egypt.
A variety of execution methods were used, apparently with the intention of denying entry to the afterlife.
This may be the rationale behind some methods involving burning and dismemberment.
Impaling seems to have occurred occasionally.
Perhaps one of our ancient history experts can provide a more detailed answer?

I do not think crucifixion is particularly associated with pre-Roman Egypt.
A variety of execution methods were used, apparently with the intention of denying entry to the afterlife.
This may be the rationale behind some methods involving burning and dismemberment.
Impaling seems to have occurred occasionally.
Perhaps one of our ancient history experts can provide a more detailed answer?
Thank your answer friend!

Because I saw some records in some Chinese and Korean materials. It says the crucifixion was invented by the phoenicians and in ancient Egypt, the Mediterranean coast and middle eastern countries were very popular. In Egypt, Hebrews, Carthage, Phoenicia and Persia, citizens were also sentenced to crucifixion. But in Macedonia, Greece and Rome, the cross was mainly used to execute slaves and sinners. That I don't know if that's true or not.

Because I saw some records in some Chinese and Korean materials. It says the crucifixion was invented by the phoenicians and in ancient Egypt, the Mediterranean coast and middle eastern countries were very popular. In Egypt, Hebrews, Carthage, Phoenicia and Persia, citizens were also sentenced to crucifixion. But in Macedonia, Greece and Rome, the cross was mainly used to execute slaves and sinners. That I don't know if that's true or not.
I think there is much speculation and generalisation about the subject.
Specific references are more useful if you are seeking historical authenticity.

The Phoenicians and Greeks may have picked the idea up from the Persians. The type of cross was likely not what we think of today. It was probably what later became known as the crux simplex: an upright stake to which the condemned is secured - either by ropes or nails - with the arms over the head. Even if the feet were secured, a person suspended by their arms like this would have died rather quickly. The Romans refined the method by putting the arms at an angle and securing the feet so that the condemned could support their weight. This allowed an execution that had taken a few hours to last for several days.
Justus_Lipsius_Crux_Simplex_1629.jpgla-crucifixion-1878-ffyk6w.jpgMarsyas_hanging_Louvre_Ma542.jpg

A well known case of crucifixion was the execution of thousands of inhabitants from Tyre, when the city had been captured (332 BC) by Alexander The Great, i.e. commanded by a Greek, and predating the Ptolemic dynasty in Egypt.
Ok, thank you! I'll check the relevant information about you said.

The Phoenicians and Greeks may have picked the idea up from the Persians. The type of cross was likely not what we think of today. It was probably what later became known as the crux simplex: an upright stake to which the condemned is secured - either by ropes or nails - with the arms over the head. Even if the feet were secured, a person suspended by their arms like this would have died rather quickly. The Romans refined the method by putting the arms at an angle and securing the feet so that the condemned could support their weight. This allowed an execution that had taken a few hours to last for several days.
View attachment 579015View attachment 579016View attachment 579017
Yes, It really should be a very primitive cross. And some southeast Asian countries are still using this cross to describe the Jesus's crucifixion (In some of the Christian manuals that I read). But how long has this cross been used? And the Ptolemaic Dynasty should have begun to use the "†" cross right?

Martin Hengel's Crucifixion in the Ancient World is the classic source.
Somebody here might be able to send you at least some extracts.
This one is very good, too. It must be said that Cook knows of no crucifixions in pre-Roman Egypt and doubts the Tyre story: he thinks that Diodorus and Curtius Rufus were mistaken regarding the method of Tyre executions.

'He [Curtius Rufus] attributes Roman practice to the Greeks' (p. 124) and '[o]ne need not argue for the historical truth of the narrative, but since Diodorus is a Roman author he probably envisioned these executions as crucifixions.' (p. 233).

Impalement, on the other hand, is well attested for Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom