Power Hungry

Go to CruxDreams.com
Just posted this on my board and thought you all might like it, too.

I've never done a crucifixion before. @Art and @mp5stab 's contributions to PiP this morning inspired me to try one out, given the holiday.

Since my favorite kind of protagonists are professional women in peril, and most of the work I've seen on CF takes place outdoors, I decided to do a modern scenario indoors.

Please excuse the lack of blood. The blood pack I own wasn't designed for hands or feet, and I don't know how to postwork realistic blood.

Thanks to mp5 for the cross (nice touch to include nails). The lighting, pose, and composition are mine. Here's the rest of the image credits:

Environment: (Modified) Exam Chamber by Daz
Character: Leisa 8 by Daz
Hair: Mega Updo by outoftouch
Tears: The Finest Tears HD by Alfan
Nail Polish: NewNails by Al3d
Lipstick: Kiss Me Lip Gloss by Color Galeria

Workflow included Daz, Iray, Affinity Photo, Comic Life 3, and PaintShop Pro
Power Hungry.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But again, don't let that dissuade you.
No worries. I still have the project file, so I'm re-rendering now. I'd rather not fuck up historical accuracy my first time out if I can help it. :)

No worries. I still have the project file, so I'm re-rendering now. I'd rather not fuck up historical accuracy my first time out if I can help it. :)
Historical accuracy be damned!
That's what I've been saying. No need to re-render.

Most crucifixions make some deviation from slavish historical accuracy for the sake of aesthetic. For most of us, one nail through two feet is fine, even though it is unrealistic. Even the feet flat against the stipes was not as historically attested to as heel nailing. Crowns of thorns, carting the whole cross; you pick and choose was the like. This is fiiiine. Embrace it. But yeah, the nails through the wrists instead of the palms is sorta the quiet ingroup shibboleth here. Even the most Christ-like crucifixions will have nails through the wrists instead of the palms around here. But ultimately, these are artistic choices, not pragmatic choices. Impractical or impossible nailing is fine if you can convince me it should be like that

Last edited:
Reposted from my post on PiP:

Too often the crux community acts like "palms is wrong, wrists is right," and doesn't explain it. I'll do my best to give it a shot. Art depicting crucifixion does not begin to show in the church until long after crucifixion, the early Christian symbols were the Ichthys or fish and the Phi Rho, a PX looking thing. Orthodox Christianity still uses all of these symbols. But the early church did not depict such gruesome imagery as the torture and execution of Jesus, so the depictions of crucifixion were inspired both by art trends at the time they were painted, and passion plays, where the actors were given things like footrests and handholds. Details from the period regarding the practices of crucifixion are scarce, existing mostly as graffiti and references to the practice in plays and letters. So... to some extent you can just chose the details you like. Nails through the heels were most likely, as evidenced by archeological findings. but foot nailing was still possible. But nailing through the hand.... isn't. There is nothing in the hand to hold the weight of the body up, the nail would tear right through the palm. So you have to go lower, either into the bones of the wrist, through the carpal tunnel, or between the ulna and radius.

Now, that sort of explanation will fly for most people, but a proper Christian who believes the bible will need a little extra convincing. So, we actually look at the Gospel. In this case, Luke. Luke was a physician, spoke greek and was probably no slouch when it came to anatomy. So why does he say "his hands were pierced"? The word that Luke uses in Greek to describe where Jesus’s hands were nailed is cheir (χείρ). This word can mean either hand or wrist, depending on the context. Greeks understood that the forearms and the hand were all the same muscle group (move your fingers around and watch the inside of your wrist to see), so only really had one common word for both of them in normal conversational Greek. This isn't the only time Luke uses this word.

In Luke 15:20-24, he uses it to depict the embrace of the father who welcomes back his prodigal son: “And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him…But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.”

Uhh... rings don't go on hands? Clearly he means finger in this context.

In Acts 12:7-11, he uses it to describe how an angel freed Peter from prison: “And behold, an angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his hands…And when they had passed the first and the second guard, they came to the iron gate leading into the city. It opened for them of its own accord, and they went out and went along one street, and immediately the angel left him. When Peter came to himself, he said, “Now I am sure that the Lord has sent his angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people were expecting.””

Again, shackles don't go on the hand, clearly the shackles were on Peter's wrists. And well, someone can't be crucified by having the nails driven through their finger, that is even more absurd than the nails going through the palm. So, wrist it is

@Nyghtfall3D I must say I like both hand and wrist nailed versions!

Back
Top Bottom