Saving Gifs

Go to CruxDreams.com

lornaz

Executioner
technical question here - how do you save a GIF file so that it remains animated after saving (I can only appear to save as a stationary GIF for some reason)

technical question here - how do you save a GIF file so that it remains animated after saving (I can only appear to save as a stationary GIF for some reason)

In Windows 10, using Internet Explorer, if I open the image so I can see the animation, then right-click on it it gives me the option to save it. When I open the saved image, it's still animated just as it should be. Are you maybe just clicking on the thumbnails and saving those?

That works with me, using Chrome or Firefox.
I generally view gifs, and most other images,
by clicking on the file-name (or right-clicking on the image)
to open them in new tabs. I find they tend to upload quicker that way
than clicking on the image and viewing in slide-show.
Maybe saving from a new tab works better than from slide-show?
I don't know, it's just a thought.

thanks for advice Eulalia and Jedakk, I always open all images on this site and GIFs too in a new tab, but still the GIF is stationary when saved; however, it sounds like you clever people have modern versions of Windows, mine was invented in pre-history and so that maybe has something to do with it . .

Yes, I'm using Windows 10. I fear Microsoft are making life increasingly frustrating for those who aren't. :rolleyes:

You deserve a medal Eulalia for being able to use Windows 10, from all accounts that I hear it seems to defy all attempts to do anything with. Yes I think that if GIFs are created with, say Windows 8, then all operating systems prior to that can't save them, and so on. Oh well, I suppose that it's back to my parchment and quill pen . .

You deserve a medal Eulalia for being able to use Windows 10, from all accounts that I hear it seems to defy all attempts to do anything with. Yes I think that if GIFs are created with, say Windows 8, then all operating systems prior to that can't save them, and so on. Oh well, I suppose that it's back to my parchment and quill pen . .

I don't really think it's got anything to do with the version of Windows. Images get created in software applications like Photoshop, Poser, Zbrush, etc. that run in Windows and Mac versions, but generate files that are useable on either type of operating system and on just about any version. The renders for The Serpent's Eye, for example, were created on various PCs I built, running Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10. The upgrade to Windows 10 was by far the most painless I have ever done.

One possibility is that you have a file association problem in Windows so that it doesn't correctly identify the app to associate with the GIF file type. You can download a fix for this particular problem for Windows 7 here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/ I think they also have fixes for other versions of Windows as well.

If you have any other image viewing programs, try those to see what happens. I use ACDsee myself, but that's not a free program. One free image viewer is Irfan, which you can download from this site: http://www.irfanview.com/ It specifically states that you can use it to view animated GIFs.

Good luck.

wow thanks Jedakk, I'm learning a lot from your post. I'll try all the things that you suggest. Have never heard of Irfan, so well worth looking at.

lornaz

I know nothing about computing.

But I am writing to you to say that whatever your operating system, it has nothing to do with your problem.

My computer has Windows XP, that's right, Windows XP.

I won, (I do not buy computer, I live fine without them, my friends is to insist that I have), that computer in October, it came with a Windows 7, of course I have not used.

In November, I returned the computer because it was taking up space on my desk.

A week later, my friend went back with him.

He had managed to install a Windows XP, he said he had to seek "codecs" and other things I do not remember the name, to make the computer work.

Conclusion: the computer works perfectly with fast, does everything I need, (search songs, video clips, photos in all formats, among other things).

So your problem is not your computer.

Top Cat

Yes, I'm using Windows 10. I fear Microsoft are making life increasingly frustrating for those who aren't. :rolleyes:
but Uncle Billis always helpfull and will made us happy now:devil:

thanks for advice from several of you. it's a good thing that you point to it not being my computer that is causing the problems, because I was contemplating throwing the computer out the window, and as I'm three floors up it would have been terminal . . .

thanks for advice from several of you. it's a good thing that you point to it not being my computer that is causing the problems, because I was contemplating throwing the computer out the window, and as I'm three floors up it would have been terminal . . .
Only if you jumped out after it !!

Thanks Elfgirl Warrior, but the street is quite busy and so flying computers have the danger of landing on passing pedestrians, and it could be terminal for them if my computer bounced on their heads - without resolving the original problem of saving Gifs . .
Very true.

Well I don't use Windows. I use Linux and have done now for many years. Currently I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and it works just fine for saving GIFs. Sure that when you see them in the file manager view they'll appear static but as soon as you open the file in your image viewer, it will animate perfectly.

Note that most Linux image viewers are not that great compared to ACDSee32 on windows (The exception is the rather heavyweight Gwenview which is really good), but if you install Wine, then ACDSee32 runs perfectly in Linux (As does Photoshop, for that matter)

The Cinnamon desktop looks and feels a lot like windows 7 so people switching over will not have too much trouble in learning it. In a lot of ways it pisses all over Windows, and since Windows 10 is riddled with Microsoft spyware that's SO intrusive that it makes Google look good (if you don't believe me, google "windows 10 spyware"), Linux really is going to be the OS of choice for any PC user who values their online privacy.

And yes I know that you can turn off a lot (but by no means all) the Windows 10 spyware, but it's all enabled by default and most people don't know how to turn it off anyway.

Nobody should use Windows anymore. The future is Linux...

Back
Top Bottom