The Knight And The Gnostic

Go to CruxDreams.com

phlebas

PRIMUS POENUS
Staff member
Barb and I have been busy writing a story for you and we will be posting alternately, one episode each per day.
So let's get started :)

Episode 1

"Professor Phlebas, Professor Phlebas! Over here sir!"
Phlebas hurried over to the source of the cry.
This could be it, the culmination of decades of research.

This skull that his assistant was uncovering so carefully could really be the skull of the legendary Cathar Perfecti, Barbara de Moore.

The Cathars, those legendary and mysterious heretics of the Languedoc, beloved of modern conspiracy theorists and 3rd rate thriller writers. Pure of spirit and simple in lifestyle, even their enemies could not deny their goodness. Bernard of Clairvaux stated that the Cathar "cheats no one, pushes ahead of no one, does violence to no one", and Bishop Fulk was told by those whom he pressed to persecute them that "We have relatives among them and we see them living lives of perfection"

Perfection was the goal. The Cathar lived simply. He or she sought perfection, and those who received their one and only sacrament of spiritual cleansing were known as the bonhommes, the perfecti, the spiritual elite, leading lives of austerity and charity.

Women were prominent among the Cathars, and there was none more prominent than Barbara de Moore. Famed for her chastity and spiritual purity, she rose to lead the people of Beziers by her saintly example in the year 1207. Unfortunately, the Pope of the day desired to bring these dangerous heretics to heel and found a ready tool in the greed of the northern French nobility. A crusade was declared in 1208, and in July 1209 Beziers was besieged by the crusader army.

war-against-heresy-innocent-iii-proclaims-the-albigensian-crusade-BNH2H6.jpg

Now Phlebas watched as the skull was removed carefully from the soil, the last resting place of this unfortunate woman.

Barb and I have been busy writing a story for you and we will be posting alternately, one episode each per day.
So let's get started :)

Episode 1

"Professor Phlebas, Professor Phlebas! Over here sir!"
Phlebas hurried over to the source of the cry.
This could be it, the culmination of decades of research.

This skull that his assistant was uncovering so carefully could really be the skull of the legendary Cathar Perfecti, Barbara de Moore.
Now Phlebas watched as the skull was removed carefully from the soil, the last resting place of this unfortunate woman.
madiosi 2016 - 164-KatG.jpg

Episode 2.

21 July 1209. The crusader army has now fully invested the city. I, Barbara de Moore, highest Perfecti and spiritual leader of the "Good Christians" of Beziers look out from the ramparts at the flickering lights of a thousand campfires around which gather this evening the vast host of knights, routers and pilgrims who seek to destroy me, my people and their faith. I fear them not, for I place my trust in the Good God, in the purity of our faith and righteousness, and in the formidable defensive strength of our city's walls and bastions.

But our sworn enemies are also determined to prevail. Their commander, the Papal legate and Abbot of Citeaux demanded yesterday that Beziers hand over its "heretics"or face the horrors of being ruthlessly sacked. His list of heretics included myself and 222 other "perfecti" and spiritual leaders. The request was refused. The bishop who delivered the papal legate's demands was mocked and sent back in disgrace.

image.jpeg And now we must gird for battle. Even I, a woman of the cloth, have armed myself. I wear a vest of chain-mail over a short linen shirt, and I carry a light Falchion sword. I know that should the crusading army succeed in breaking into our city, no quarter will be given and the sack will be utterly ruthless ... undertaken with a vengeful savagery and lust that shall know no bounds and spare no one, man or woman, from the most unspeakable horrors.

The night is quiet, a full moon illuminates the towers and battlements, behind which sentries crouch. I walk among them, dispensing encouragement as I make the rounds. The dry July heat is upon us and even the night air is warm and stifling. I am glad to be wearing only my short linen shirt as a slight breeze cools my long bare legs and whips strands of hair across my face.

Completing my rounds I hurry to the city's highest tower and kneel there to pray. And as I pray, the sound of movement drifts my way from the encircling hostile camps. I hear men's voices and the clatter of arms, the snorts and whinnies of horses being saddled. The preparations for battle have begun. First light is but hours away and with it will come the great clash of arms that will determine not only my own fate but those of my people. May God be with us!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom