This Is My First Post With A Image

Go to CruxDreams.com
Uffff... Clarify with my knowledge of the English language... I'll try.

Subman and subhuman do not fit, it does not fit most creatures of folklore. Subman, subhuman - are people, but more "low-grade", "low-quality". It seems to me, what Eulalia understood correctly. Close in value is a German term "Untermensch". Now he carries a negative connotation. "Neljud" - not people, but should be written together: "notpeople" or "nopeople". However, "not people" can be animals, fish, insects, and "neljud" - a special class of creatures that can occur from the people and have attributes (features) people, but not people. At the famous J. R. R. Tolkien in his magnificent series "The Lord of the Rings" used "neljud", for example, Nazgûls. Alas, I did not read the original (English) J. R. R. Tolkien, so I can't give more examples from there. Folkloric characters, the origin of sending from ancient mythologies (Germanic, Norse, Celtic, and others), were "neljud" or had signs of "neljud". Now, however, primarily due to the fantasy genre, they are essentially "humanize " and already, basically can not be attributed to "neljud".

I apologize for the fact that the post is beyond the scope of this forum and is offtopic . Sorry for incomprehensibility because of hideous knowledge of English.

P.S. Zombie is undead ("negit") and not "neljud". I better be silent.:)
P.P.S.
(Russian?)
Yes. But gist is not the case. I have innate idiosyncrasy (painful reaction of rejection) to any foreign language, so I do not care in what foreign language to write - in English, German, Portuguese, finally, Martian.:)

Last edited:
thanks stragg - not at all off-topic (it's your own thread, anyway :D)
and I don't think I'm the only one here
who finds fantasy figures from the darker fringes of folklore intensely fascinating.
Looking forward to seeing and learning more about neljudi!​

not at all off-topic (it's your own thread, anyway :D)
Now I heard another feature of this forum. Usually on the forums look askance at such "liberty".
Thank you.
...about neljudi!
Sorry if the question is inappropriate: You know Russian???

Let me ask one question: how much is not clear what I write? Still, my English is very bad.

Last edited:
no, Russian isn't one of my languages, but I've got a sense for how languages work,
so when I tried researching neljud, I worked out neljudi was the plural.
Your English is fine Stragg -
our most notable member has posted 14,674 times in English just as delightful as yours! :D

no, Russian isn't one of my languages, but I've got a sense for how languages work,
our most notable member has posted 14,674 times in English just as delightful as yours! :D
merci mem:devil:14,677 in this moment

merci mem:devil:14,677 in this moment

And I can safely say I have understood....some of them :p

Now I heard another feature of this forum. Usually on the forums look askance at such "liberty".

Well as a frequent visitor I do regard as one of the better features. After all how else could you discuss the inspiration for your work?

I find it interesting that you draw on the Nazgul wraiths as being a close approximation of the Neljudi. Clearly while they have lost many of their human features they have gained other strengths longevity, immunity to many weapons, extra senses and so on.

I suppose you would rule out the barrow wights (creatures of the type that tried to murder Frodo and the others on the way to Bree) as being too undead? I am asking purely for curiosity's sake so no need to respond straight away but I am interested to try and understand the limits of the Neljudi.

You too indulgent to me.flower1
About the russian language. As far as I know, in english language nouns do not lean on cases. You used "about neljudi", this is the instrumental case of "neljud", that's why I was surprised. "the plural" everything was explained. I was wrong, sorry, it happens.

Thank you all, but I estimate my English is not so optimistic.

RacingRodent, the subject "neljud" is very extensive. Immediately I can't answer it, it is necessary to think, that was a short and informative. If not short, I was tortured to translate.

Last edited:
The theme of "neljud", undead , spirits etc. is very extensive. There is a special science, mythology, which deals with this. All these creatures are very ancient, there is mention of them in the earliest known sources long before our era (B.C.). In mythology there is an assumption that these creatures were in fact, there is assumption as they appeared - another branch of hominoids. However, evidence, apart from ancient mythology and folklore, does not exist, anthropologists laugh at this assumption .
Since these creatures are very ancient , in english language, of course, is a term similar to "neljud", but apparently, it is rarely used and is known mainly skilled , and therefore not placed in popular dictionaries. In the russian language "neljud" too infrequently used and there is not in many dictionaries.
Strict distinction between these creatures generally do not exist. For example, the Nazgûls - "neljud", but they also have signs of the undead. These creatures have abilities that are not owned by the people, but these creatures have their serious limitations, people often unknown. They belong to the people, with rare exception, hostile or indifferent. They sometimes enter into an alliance with the people, even help them, but this fee is very high.
With the development of civilization opinion about these creatures changed significantly. For example, the elves who take their origin from Alvas (ancient Icelandic - alfar) or fairies were small , gnomes were one of the varieties of elves. Possibly, J. R. R. Tolkien his famous epic was the cause of the rapid change of opinion about these creatures. Elves and gnomes have grown and humanize, disappeared some species of mountain creatures , such as the zwergs (ancient Scandinavian - dvergar). J. R. R. Tolkien was very aware of the mythology and carefully created his world . For example, he considered the lunar cycles when describing Frodo journey - at full moon night is better seen than in the nascent moon. By the way, J. R. R. Tolkien describes the process of turning human beings into "neljud". Hobbit Smeagol (ancient English - Smygel) turned into Gollum. Hobbits have no analogues in the mythology. J. R. R. Tolkien specifically brought them into the story, because, according to him, without them it turned out not what he wanted. But hobbits are perceived as people expansions that are slightly different from them.
Great contribution to the change of opinion about these creatures have computer games and , of course, cinema.
On the lifestyle of these creatures affects technological progress. Illustrative examples for these creatures I have not, but there are examples of witches. They used to fly on broomsticks, now - on the vacuum cleaner, it is noisy , but more speed.
1.jpg witch3_2.jpg
The theme is very large. If you wish to continue it, then you need your reasoning, specific questions or suggestions.

Last edited:
Sorry to be so long in getting back to you Stragg but several efforts to dash out a simple and quick response have ended in abysmal failure...I shall try and find the time at some point to give you a properly detailed and constructed reply :)

Last edited:
me likewise - going back to your haunting, thought-provoking image

beauty above baser passions.jpg

'beauty is above baser passions'
the sinister beaked figures aren't so much elves
as the kind of beings that haunt the margins of mediaeval manuscripts
and the shadowy carved corners of old churches and cathedrals,
and still appear in half-pagan religious processions
in parts of Italy and Spain.​

the sinister beaked figures aren't so much elves
as the kind of beings that haunt the margins of mediaeval manuscripts
and the shadowy carved corners of old churches and cathedrals,
and still appear in half-pagan religious processions
in parts of Italy and Spain.
'the sinister beaked figures' - of course it's not elves. As model images of medieval inquisitors in a beaked mask were used. After deformation (distortion) model turned into something that can not be called human beings, i.e. "neljud". By the way, this is another way of transforming human into "neljud".:)
Character in left on image it initially sorcerer who cast forth lightning. It was assumed that he had to crawl like a worm from the ground, but the effect "dragging oneself out" significantly destroyed perception background, for this reason this is not on the image.

Stop apologising quite so much, I love this image and if you look around you'll find plenty of non-crux mixed in with other images. Seriously we like eclectic artists, they bring new ideas and fresh approaches :)

Back
Top Bottom