This Is My First Post With A Image

Go to CruxDreams.com
You are very correct about having to be careful about literal translation which is often where machines fall down.

Your comment about the double negative/ double positive reminds of an old story

An accomplished professor of linguistics was giving a lecture and as he warmed to the meat of his theme he declared "In English while there are many examples of a double negative expressing a positive there is not one example of a double positive expressing a negative..."

Cue from the back of the audience

"Yeah right"

You are very correct about having to be careful about literal translation which is often where machines fall down.

An accomplished professor of linguistics was giving a lecture and as he warmed to the meat of his theme he declared "In English while there are many examples of a double negative expressing a positive there is not one example of a double positive expressing a negative..."

"Yeah right"

But that depends on the tone - ironic "Yeah, right" = NO.
If not ironic "Yeah, right" = YES.
At least that's my humble opinion.

"Yeah right"

Once again, RR has me ROTFL

This site would be a gloomier place without our Racing Rodent

:duke:

I thought a "dutchie" was a cooking pot. Needed to be passed on the left-hand side. (on the radio this morning)
How do you mean "dutchie" was a cooking pot? I have a blue nose in my avatar but a cooking pot?

How do you mean "dutchie" was a cooking pot? I have a blue nose in my avatar but a cooking pot?
See Wikipedia:-
"Pass the Dutchie" is a reggae song recorded by the British group Musical Youth from their 1982 album The Youth of Today. It was a major hit in the UK, holding the number one position on the singles chart there for three weeks in October 1982 and selling 5 million copies worldwide.
"Dutchie" is used as a patois term to refer to a food cooking pot such as a Dutch oven in Jamaica and the Caribbean. It has since become a drug reference in itself, denoting a blunt stuffed with marijuana and rolled in a wrapper from a Dutch Masters cigar,

See Wikipedia:-
"Pass the Dutchie" is a reggae song recorded by the British group Musical Youth from their 1982 album The Youth of Today. It was a major hit in the UK, holding the number one position on the singles chart there for three weeks in October 1982 and selling 5 million copies worldwide.
"Dutchie" is used as a patois term to refer to a food cooking pot such as a Dutch oven in Jamaica and the Caribbean. It has since become a drug reference in itself, denoting a blunt stuffed with marijuana and rolled in a wrapper from a Dutch Masters cigar,
but that is abuse of my countrymen.......................and women

but that is abuse of my countrymen.......................and women
Don't be hurt - the name "Dutch Oven" was given in Britain because the Dutch were better at casting in iron (dry sand founding made smoother pots). Thus the cooking pots were imported from the Netherlands. Abraham Darby, of Coalbrookdale, went to the Netherlands to study iron founding. Then came back to England and made his own, for home use and export to the Americas.

That's a reasonably favourable Dutch phrase -
going Dutch is fair enough in these egalitarian times,
Admi would make a nice Dutch Uncle ('one who gives advice with benevolent firmness'),
and I suppose Dutch caps (aka French letters) are a welcome commodity :p
but Dutch courage is definitely casting aspersions on our neighbours.
Quiz question, do any of you know what a Dutch wife is
(clue, yes you can sleep with one)?​

That's a reasonably favourable Dutch phrase -
going Dutch is fair enough in these egalitarian times,
Admi would make a nice Dutch Uncle ('one who gives advice with benevolent firmness'),
and I suppose Dutch caps (aka French letters) are a welcome commodity :p
but Dutch courage is definitely casting aspersions on our neighbours.
Quiz question, do any of you know what a Dutch wife is
(clue, yes you can sleep with one)?​
"Dutch wife" is a body pillow.

that's right, a sort of pillow that you lay beside you instead of under your head :D

136562-197424a21db269dc6f7c555a13e4d558.jpg

Bargain sale?

Back
Top Bottom