Venus Verticordia

Go to CruxDreams.com

Wragg

Chronicler of Crux
Staff member
The traffic light changed to amber, and then red. As it had done three times already, and they had moved barely one car length towards it.

Senator Theodore H. Tree, head of THT Enterprises and one of the ten wealthiest men in the USA, fumed with frustration. Being fabulously rich didn’t help to get quickly through the London traffic from Heathrow to Sotheby’s.

He leaned forward to speak to the chauffeur. “Isn’t there something you can do? I must be at Sotheby’s by two. If you can get me there by two I’ll double your fee!”

“That is very kind of you, sir, thank you. I shall endeavour to accommodate your wish.”

Without another word, he swung the car into the bus lane, ignoring the blare from a bus’ horn, and turned left off Park Lane with its stationary traffic and into a street where both lanes of traffic was coming towards them.

“A ‘no entry’ sign, sir, is a very attractive red and white design. I find you can only really appreciate it when you are facing it.”

Tree shut his eyes. He’d asked for this, but he had hoped to be alive when delivered to Sotheby’s.

The Bentley shot down back alleys, knocking over dustbins and scaring the odd cat, weaved through junctions, was the subject of angry blaring hooters at least half a dozen times before it screeched to a halt in New Bond Street. The dashboard clock read 13:57.

“Well, I’ll be… “ spluttered Tree, pale as the midnight moon. “Well done, Mr, er…”

“Repertor, sir.”

“Well done Mr Repertor. Would you mind waiting? I’ll only be 20 minutes or so.”

“Very good, sir.”

It was longer than that, but he emerged carrying a large package. Repertor opened the boot so that Tree could put it in.

“I see that your efforts were redolent of success, sir.”

“Indeed they were, Repertor. An original Rossetti. I had to go slightly over my $4million limit, but Ulrika will be delighted. It’s for her birthday!”

Repertor closed the boot, then opened the rear door for his passenger. “I dare say she will be, sir. The Venus Verticordia, if I remember rightly.”

“That’s right, Repertor! Are you a fan of the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood?”

“I like to admire the pictures, Senator, though I fear that purchasing an original is not in my immediate plans.”

“Especially the ones featuring girls, huh?” Tree winked at him.

Venus verticordia.jpg

“Those eyes shall flame as for her Phrygian boy.
“Then shall her bird's strained throat the woe foretell,
“And her far seas moan as a single shell,
“And through her dark grove strike the light of Troy, sir.”

“Very good,” said Tree. “Your own?”

“No, sir, those lines were penned by Rossetti himself, about the Venus Verticordia.”

“Really? I didn’t know that.”

The car pulled out into New Bond Street. Tree idly watched the shoppers on the sidewalk. Then he fell to musing upon the Venus. Well she might have inspired Rossetti to poetry as well as painting. She was a beautiful woman. God, she’d look good on a cross!

“The model was Miss Alexa Wilding, sir. She also had a sister, Eulalia, who looked very similar, except that she had the most wonderful blue eyes. Sometimes she modelled for Rossetti, too.”

“Is that so?” Tree’s response was distant. He was still imagining crucifixion.

“Indeed it is, Senator. She posed for a number of paintings. Including Venus Crucifixus est. I think that there were at least six paintings of Eulalia Wilding, sir.”

Tree’s attention snapped back to the interior of the car. “What? What did you say?”

“Miss Eulalia Wilding featured in at least six Rossetti paintings, sir.”

“No, before that. Venus Crucifixus something. Do I understand you to mean a painting of this girl on a cross?”

“A cross is commonly, if not universally, an accessory to crucifixion, indeed so, sir. The verb itself….”

“Spare me the grammar lessons, Repertor, what I want to know is, where can I see it? And how much will it cost me to buy it?”

“Ah, now, I regret to have to inform you, sir, that no-one knows what happened to the painting. The Victorians, you see, had a somewhat benighted attitude to such images….”

“First grammar, now history! I’m not interested in all that – how do you know about it, if it is lost? I consider, with some justification, that I am an expert on the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood, and I have never heard of Eulalia Wilding, and nor have I ever heard of a Rossetti painting of a crucifixion!”

Repertor brought the Bentley to a stand at yet another set of traffic lights.

“That is a little difficult to explain, sir.”

“Try me.”

Repertor pondered for a moment. “Is your safety belt fastened, sir?”

“Sure it is, why?”

“We need to undertake a small diversion. It won’t take long.”

Repertor pressed a button, and a sat nav screen appeared above the dashboard. He entered a destination, and then the screen said, “calculating.”

A woman’s voice said, “In 500 yards, take a left turn.”

“Where are we going?” asked Tree, a little concerned.

“In 200 yards, take a left turn.”

“I don’t see a left turn, just a row of shops… Repertor?”

“Take a left turn.”

Repertor spun the wheel, the car lurched across the pavement, heading at speed towards the front entrance of a shop.

Tree glimpsed the words ‘Est. 1874’ before screwing his eyes tight shut.

He prepared to meet his maker.

The traffic light changed to amber, and then red. As it had done three times already, and they had moved barely one car length towards it.

Senator Theodore H. Tree, head of THT Enterprises and one of the ten wealthiest men in the USA, fumed with frustration. Being fabulously rich didn’t help to get quickly through the London traffic from Heathrow to Sotheby’s.

He leaned forward to speak to the chauffeur. “Isn’t there something you can do? I must be at Sotheby’s by two. If you can get me there by two I’ll double your fee!”

“That is very kind of you, sir, thank you. I shall endeavour to accommodate your wish.”

Without another word, he swung the car into the bus lane, ignoring the blare from a bus’ horn, and turned left off Park Lane with its stationary traffic and into a street where both lanes of traffic was coming towards them.

“A ‘no entry’ sign, sir, is a very attractive red and white design. I find you can only really appreciate it when you are facing it.”

Tree shut his eyes. He’d asked for this, but he had hoped to be alive when delivered to Sotheby’s.

The Bentley shot down back alleys, knocking over dustbins and scaring the odd cat, weaved through junctions, was the subject of angry blaring hooters at least half a dozen times before it screeched to a halt in New Bond Street. The dashboard clock read 13:57.

“Well, I’ll be… “ spluttered Tree, pale as the midnight moon. “Well done, Mr, er…”

“Repertor, sir.”

“Very good, sir.”

It was longer than that, but he emerged carrying a large package. Repertor opened the boot so that Tree could put it in.

“Indeed they were, Repertor. An original Rossetti. I had to go slightly over my $4million limit, but Ulrika will be delighted. It’s for her birthday!”

Repertor closed the boot, then opened the rear door for his passenger. “I dare say she will be, sir. The Venus Verticordia, if I remember rightly.”

“I like to admire the pictures, Senator, though I fear that purchasing an original is not in my immediate plans.”

View attachment 329701

“No, sir, those lines were penned by Rossetti himself, about the Venus Verticordia.”

The car pulled out into New Bond Street. Tree idly watched the shoppers on the sidewalk. Then he fell to musing upon the Venus. Well she might have inspired Rossetti to poetry as well as painting. She was a beautiful woman. God, she’d look good on a cross!

“The model was Miss Alexa Wilding, sir. She also had a sister, Eulalia, who looked very similar, except that she had the most wonderful blue eyes. Sometimes she modelled for Rossetti, too.”

“Indeed it is, Senator. She posed for a number of paintings. Including Venus Crucifixus est. I think that there were at least six paintings of Eulalia Wilding, sir.”

Tree’s attention snapped back to the interior of the car. “What? What did you say?”

“No, before that. Venus Crucifixus something. Do I understand you to mean a painting of this girl on a cross?”

“A cross is commonly, if not universally, an accessory to crucifixion, indeed so, sir. The verb itself….”

“Spare me the grammar lessons, Repertor, what I want to know is, where can I see it? And how much will it cost me to buy it?”

“Ah, now, I regret to have to inform you, sir, that no-one knows what happened to the painting. The Victorians, you see, had a somewhat benighted attitude to such images….”

“First grammar, now history! I’m not interested in all that – how do you know about it, if it is lost? I consider, with some justification, that I am an expert on the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood, and I have never heard of Eulalia Wilding, and nor have I ever heard of a Rossetti painting of a crucifixion!”

“Try me.”

“Sure it is, why?”

Repertor pressed a button, and a sat nav screen appeared above the dashboard. He entered a destination, and then the screen said, “calculating.”

“Take a left turn.”

Repertor spun the wheel, the car lurched across the pavement, heading at speed towards the front entrance of a shop.

Oh this is rich ... Tree a wealthy senator on the loose in London, of all places? British-American relations sure to take a nose dive before this is over.:rolleyes:

“Repertor, sir.”

“Very good, sir.”

View attachment 329701

“Try me.”

“Sure it is, why?”

“Take a left turn.”

Is that a short story or the begin from a new epos? I Missed my important keywords Wragg.

“The model was Miss Alexa Wilding, sir. She also had a sister, Eulalia, ...
... She posed for a number of paintings. Including Venus Crucifixus est. I think that there were at least six paintings of Eulalia Wilding, sir
Hmm, must we assume Venus Crucifixus est was the very last of these six paintings?
Also, Rossetti supposedly found Alexa Wilding's 'conversation so dull that he wrote he wished he could shut her in a cupboard except when he was painting her' ... that would probably not happen with her sister Eulalia ;)

Is that a short story or the begin from a new epos? I Missed my important keywords Wragg.

I'm not planning a very long story, Madiosi.

(This from the man that wrote a "short story" called 'Princess Roxandra Rides Out' that turned into a 2 volume epic! :doh:)

Hmm, must we assume Venus Crucifixus est was the very last of these six paintings?
Also, Rossetti supposedly found Alexa Wilding's 'conversation so dull that he wrote he wished he could shut her in a cupboard except when he was painting her' ... that would probably not happen with her sister Eulalia ;)

No, she's not dull, but she does keep correcting his Latin.... :rolleyes:

Bless you, Malins :) :) :)

no, he kept Eulalia in a cage :devil:

....then wished she hadn't :eek:

It was the strangest feeling. This was the first time Tree had experienced death, and it felt no more painful than a trip in a fast elevator. Then he heard a voice saying “You have reached your destination, which is on your right.”

Cautiously, Tree opened an eye. Then both eyes opened wide in total surprise. He was no longer sitting in a limousine, but in a carriage, drawn by a pair of black horses.

The driver climbed down, and opened the door for him.

“If you would care to step out, Senator, there is someone I’d like you to meet.”

“Very good, Repertor,” said Tree, meekly, still dazed, and climbed out.

A small, rather dirty boy, with an oversized cap, stood looking up at them.

“Spare a tanner, guv’nors?”

“Young man,” said Repertor, “I will be delighted to give you sixpence, and another when you return, if you would go across to that building over there and present my card.” A card and a small silver coin were pressed into the eager palm, and the urchin disappeared at speed.

“Repertor?” asked Tree.

“Sir?”

“Where exactly are we?”

“Where we were, sir. London.”

“But…what happened to the car?”

“My apologies, sir…did the carriage disappoint you in some way? I can assure you that no expense was spared on it.”

Behind the carriage was an open gateway, through which it appeared to have come. Tree went through the gateway, and looked out into the street. It was exceptionally busy, with traffic passing along it in both directions… but every single vehicle was horse drawn.

“Repertor! Where are all the cars?”

“The internal combustion engine is not expected for another thirty years, sir. At present we have to rely on horses for transportation.”

“Bu…but….what about my plane? I must catch my plane!”

“There is absolutely no rush for that, sir. It won’t be leaving for one hundred and forty years.”

There was a glint in Repertor’ eye. He was enjoying this. But Tree had no time for further questions, for the urchin had returned to claim his second ‘tanner’. With him was a tallish man with dark eyes and flowing hair.

“Mr Repertor! Great to see you! How are you keeping?”

“The pleasure is entirely mine, Mr Rossetti, and I am gratifyingly well, thank you. May I present Senator Theodore Tree, who is visiting us from the United States? Senator, Mr Dante Phlebas Rossetti.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Senator!” said Rossetti, shaking hands. “Did you have a good crossing?”

“Er, good to meet you too, Mr Rossetti. The crossing was, er, very smooth, thank you. May I tell you how much I admire your work?”

If there was one thing that Mr Rossetti did like, it was people complimenting his work. His delight was transparent. “That’s very kind of you to say so, Senator!”

Repertor explained, “The Senator and I were discussing the Venus Verticordia as we proceeded along New Bond Street, so I took the liberty of stopping off here to see if you might be prepared to receive him.”

“Ah, sweet Venus! One of my personal favourites. I can tell you are a man of great taste, Senator. Please! Come and see my studio, and we can have a drink!”

Tree managed a “Sure, I’d like that very much,” before following Rossetti through a doorway.

“May I present my assistant, Miss Eulalia Wilding?”

Tree gasped as he gazed into the deep blue eyes of the most beautiful woman he’d ever seen in his life.

Eulalia.jpg

Tree gasped as he gazed into the deep blue eyes of the most beautiful woman he’d ever seen in his life.
View attachment 329854

Phlebas Rosetti always could do the eyes so well. :D Now we know why.

Good stuff, Wragg. A lot of possibilities for the story, unless your whole point was just to see that picture again. :devil:
I want to know more about our lovely Miss E. Wilder.

Cautiously, Tree opened an eye. Then both eyes opened wide in total surprise. He was no longer sitting in a limousine, but in a carriage, drawn by a pair of black horses.
470.jpg

Tree went through the gateway, and looked out into the street. It was exceptionally busy, with traffic passing along it in both directions… but every single vehicle was horse drawn.
120271014.jpg

At present we have to rely on horses for transportation.”
Although the motorcycle has already been inventedVélocipédraisiavaporianna_-_1818_engraving_of_steam_hobby_horse.jpg

audrey-beauty.jpg

I want to know more about our lovely Miss E. Wilder.
2016-02-10_055145.jpg

Last edited:
I think you will find many paintings of great personal interest in my studio, senator.

Phlebas Rosetti always could do the eyes so well. :D Now we know why..

Thank you Jolly, I am humbled.
Of course it's easy with such an outstanding model and assistant.

Wragg, how did you know that I was a fan of the pre-raphaelites!
(indeed, apparently a member of the pre-raphaelite brotherhood!)

One of the things I miss living here in Oz is being able to walk among those paintings in my lunch break.

Wragg, how did you know that I was a fan of the pre-raphaelites!
(indeed, apparently a member of the pre-raphaelite brotherhood!)

One of the things I miss living here in Oz is being able to walk among those paintings in my lunch break.

Always recognised you as a man with a discerning eye for high art, Phlebas! :)

Back
Top Bottom