Go to CruxDreams.com
Epilogue

The sacrifice was made for several reasons. First of all to gain the goodwill of the gods, but also to appease the legatus and avoid any lawsuit against the family. And finally the crucifixion in itself was a deterrent for all the slaves to not even think about running away. Sadly, none of the goals were met.

Marius could not understand what had happened in the last moments he shared with Amabilia. After she had died, he loved and longed for her even more, but it was an impossible love. He blamed himself for everything and grew very depressed and he had terrible fits of anger. Aulus demanded that he got a hold of himself, and when the young man was incapable of doing so, he was sent off to serve in the legions of Rome. Marius served for ten years and returned a changed man. Only to discover the lands of his ancestors had also been transformed.

Quintus Paccius Flaccus died of his injury when his wound became infected because it was treated poorly by some quack who smeared horse dung on the wound to help the healing process. The magistrate turned his attention to the case, which resulted in a lawsuit that dragged on for years and in the end brought the Lucianus family to bankruptcy. Aulus had to sell off large parts of his lands, which had been in his family for centuries. He never overcame the shame of it and soon after, he died of a heart attack.

Domitia didn’t mourn over the loss of her husband and went back to the city. Soon she was the talk of the town as the woman who best knew how to organize orgies. She became famous enough to be invited in Rome and became part of the upper class in the Roman capital during the reign of Domitianus. However, after many years of partying, she also died, as she choked on a grape when she was alone in her quarters.

After Aulus had died and Domitia had left, the household was run by Verius Lucianus, who didn’t understand much about the business side of things. The more debts piled up, the more he locked himself in his rooms to study and one day he was found dead amidst a pile of scrolls.

Canus and Cornelia ran what was left of the household and they didn’t stop any of the slaves that tried to run away. Soon the entire estate was reduced to the villa with a handful of slaves.

Prixus and Verus, the two gladiators that held Amabilia during her whipping, were invited to Rome and became world famous gladiators when they fought each other but could not kill each other. They were pardoned and hailed as victors, after which they were freed and started their own gladiator school. Felix and Caturix were not so lucky as both died uneventful in the arena of Cassinum.

Braxus had enough with being a gladiator and he struck a deal with Verius. He was freed and he married Julia, who had indeed become pregnant and got a son with distinct Nubian traits. Braxus raised the boy as his own. There were two other children born and they lived in relative happiness in Cassinum, baking bread. One might say this story was actually their love story as that ended well at least. Though it would be too hasty to say it ended all bad for Marius.

Marius made a career in the army and rose to the rank of centurion. At one point he was stationed in Palestina, where he met a woman who could finally make him feel at peace about Amabilia. Not only did she teach him about real love, she also made him understand something about what had happened. Miriam was Christian and the more she explained about her faith, the more Marius understood what had happened with Amabilia. The girl had been called to God in her final moments. He converted to Christianity as well and took Miriam back home when his service time was over.

The estate as such was in shambles when he returned, many parts of it sold or left to waste. But the villa was almost the same as he remembered, including the old cross in the gate house. He turned this into a sacred place and started preaching there, slowly converting other members of the household to Christianity as well.

While Domitianus reigned and tried to eradicate Christianity, Marius made alterations to his villa by turning the gate house into a secret church and create a new entrance to the house at the opposite side. He and his household managed to keep their faith well enough hidden to escape prosecution.

Marius and Miriam had four children and lived happy lives. The chapel of Amabilia, with the cross, remained intact for centuries and became a place for pilgrims to visit. Even during the life of Marius, miracles were reported to happen there, many more followed later. People who got sick, were mysteriously healed after praying in front of the cross. Sadly in later times Amabilia was forgotten so she was never taken up in the circle of saints. But in life she herself had not even known about her calling.

The End
I liked this story, thank you Doragon

Chapter 50

It was after midnight that the party finally dissolved and people went to bed or celebrate elsewhere. The courtyard grew quiet and a deep rest came over the villa. Marius awoke and felt sore, his back aching, his muscles stiff from having slept in a crumpled heap for some time. He poured himself some wine to stop the throbbing headache. His head did clear a bit and slowly he started remembering things. Then he realized he must have missed the crucifixion and his heart skipped a beat.

The young man raced out of his room and down the stairs, crossed the courtyard in a heartbeat and he ended up in the gate house, seeing his love hanging from the cross. His arms outstretched he ran up to her and whispered her name with a gasp and a sob. Having reached her, he raised her face and gulped. She looked so pale and her eyes were closed.

View attachment 1143338

“No, no, no,” he whimpered and in despair he put his hands under her armpits and tried to lift her up. It was like lifting a bag of sand as she felt so much heavier than before. Of course he noticed how her feet and wrists were secured to the cross and he could never lift her off the damned wall. His cry of despair echoed in the small gate house.

With feverish gestures he held her up with one hand and reached out with the other to feel how tight the nail was fitted through her wrist. There was no way to remove it, so much was clear. And the other nail in her other wrist was the same. Again he cried out while holding her up with both hands.

Amabilia groaned. Marius responded immediately, emitting a gasp of joy that she was still alive. He pushed his body against her to hold her up against the wood, while he used his hands to caress her face. He kissed her cold lips and whimpered.

“Amibilia, loved one, honey, are you still here? Please, say something, forgive me, please forgive me…”

The girl moaned and slowly opened her swollen eyelids. Her eyes were bloodshot from crying and she only saw him in a blur. But she heard his words, his voice and a smile slipped across her face. She tried to speak but her mouth was so dry. She tried to move but her body was beyond her control. Her arms and legs were mostly numb now, as was her back. She did feel him pressed against her and his warmth felt good. And slowly she regained enough of her vision to see his face close up before her eyes. She loved that face. She loved that voice. It made her smile some more. But she noticed the tears in his eyes, the pained expression on his face and she finally found the words to speak.

“Shhh….,” she said, “it is alright…. my love…. I…. forgive you….“

Marius felt his gut twisting and let out a painful sob.

“I am so sorry,” he whispered, “I … love you so much.”

The girl nodded, still smiling. She felt a deep tingling sensation in her groin and a longing for love. Something opposite of all the pain and torture.

“Pl…please…” she whispered, “love me….”

“I love you,” he said and he kissed her face with dozens of kisses.

“No,” she groaned, “make love… to me…”

Marius blinked. Did she mean that? Had he heard it right? He felt his penis responding and he licked his lips while he thought about the possibilities. Then he nodded and kissed her.

“Yes my love, I will make love to you one more time.”

With feverish gestures his hands pulled up his tunica and removed his loincloth. Then he tried to lower Amabilia a little, so her legs could spread. Only then did he notice the wooden object which was still stuck inside her vagina. He grabbed it and pulled it carefully out of her. The girl groaned but did not protest. She even tried to support her own weight and keep herself in the position he had put her in, so her love had more room to manoeuvre himself between her thighs. When Marius pushed his erect penis into her wet slit, she gasped with relief. This felt good. Marius also sighed and he pressed his mouth on her, kissing her deeply and for a long time, while he very gently moved his hips. Amabilia could feel him deep inside of her, caressing her insides, rubbing her sweet spot and slowly she felt her lust growing. Her blood began to rush, her heartbeat increased and she squeezed herself tightly around the rubbing penis inside her body. At the same time she answered his kisses with hunger.

Both lovers reached their peak at the same time and they moaned in pleasure. The girl looked into his eyes one more time, a thankful expression on her face. She then smiled before she emitted a gasp and looked up.

“Dear God,” she sighed. Then there was another gasp and a shock went through her body. She exhaled slowly and her body went limp. Her eyes remained fixed in an upward stare.
A beautiful and poignant ending @Doragon

Though her life is cut short, in death she shows her true strength and character.

I like how you bookend the piece with the same image- nice touch!

Quintus Paccius Flaccus died of his injury when his wound became infected because it was treated poorly by some quack who smeared horse dung on the wound to help the healing process.
Justice!

Domitia didn’t mourn over the loss of her husband and went back to the city. Soon she was the talk of the town as the woman who best knew how to organize orgies. She became famous enough to be invited in Rome and became part of the upper class in the Roman capital during the reign of Domitianus. However, after many years of partying, she also died, as she choked on a grape when she was alone in her quarters.
Also justice... But, I have to admit, this song came to mind regarding her death: Peel Me A Grape
The chapel of Amabilia, with the cross, remained intact for centuries and became a place for pilgrims to visit. Even during the life of Marius, miracles were reported to happen there, many more followed later. People who got sick, were mysteriously healed after praying in front of the cross.
The best Justice!

Thank you for the incredible story, told in your wonderful style of writing.

Back
Top Bottom