Broken On The Wheel

Go to CruxDreams.com
excellent again , thank you Volod ! - probably the most terrible way to die , but most likely the victim was allready tortured before or scourged and whipped so that her skin would be not as beautiful and clean
Thanks. Yes, you are right, but it is possible that there were still cases when this was not necessary, and the victim was stripped on the scaffold just before the execution.
There are ongoing discussions on this issue. As I understand it, it depends more on the preferences of the artist. Perhaps in the future I will occasionally add traces of torture and imprisonment to victims if it seems believable.

I like the attitude of the red haired lady in black on the right. No mercy, cruel, malevolent. Cool.
And I believe that all ladies like that the victim is totally naked: utmost humiliation.
Yes, there's a fascinating range of characters and expressions in the watching crowd - I love the blonde with an evil look in her eyes whispering something wicked to her poshly-dressed friend.
And the scantly dressed girl on the left, is she elvish?

Beautiful scene in Borgia, but I still prefer a beautiful woman to torture.
Yes, this is a very high quality wheeling scene. The only thing I've always wanted to change is the criminal: man to woman)

By the way, taking inspiration from this scene, I have one question. Is it correct when creating scenes of execution in the Middle Ages to add a priest, as shown in this series? Everyone can take it differently...

Yes, this is a very high quality wheeling scene. The only thing I've always wanted to change is the criminal: man to woman)

By the way, taking inspiration from this scene, I have one question. Is it correct when creating scenes of execution in the Middle Ages to add a priest, as shown in this series? Everyone can take it differently...
In my opinion, historically is not correct (if it is the sense of the cuestion), because it was not up to the church to execute the inmates but to the "secular arm". Anyway, in this case Borgias were Roma rulers

Intéressant... mais si c'était moi au volant j'espère que ça prendrait un peu plus de temps... et pour commencer avec quelques tourments comme des pinces brûlantes sur mes seins... je voudrais que ça dure ....hmmm.... au moins une demi-heure je pense.... et puis j'aimerais qu'ils me laissent mourir lentement.... suis-je étrange ?
Dommage que le lien nous dise qu'il n'y a plus rien... J'aimerais tant visionner

Moderators comment: Please use only English on the public board, @Janda !

Too bad the link tells us that there is nothing ... I would like so much

Last edited by a moderator:
As for women, they were some cases women who were eventually broken on the wheel. That was very rare, indeed, but it happened, for example in Lille (north of France) in 1683 : http://histoiresdebourreaux.blogspot.fr/2010/02/une-femme-rouee-lille-1683.html
Here is in English :

Stories of executioners
This site, open to historians, researchers and the simply curious, is devoted to everything related to the profession of executioner. Its aim is to bring together all the texts, analyses and documents related to this singular caste. In addition to the history of the families of the masters of high and low works, it also deals with techniques, working instruments - the guillotine in particular - mentalities, capital executions and, more generally, criminal justice.

3 FEBRUARY 2010
A woman rouée in Lille (1683)

Applied since the 16th century, the punishment of the wheel was exclusively reserved for men. Legal treatises from the old regime explain that it was solely for reasons of modesty that this punishment was not applied to women: "Women are not condemned to this punishment, for reasons of decency and public honesty. Surprising as it may seem, there were some exceptions to this rule. We found an example in the North, at the end of the 17th century.

In 1683, in Lille, six young girls accused of witchcraft were sentenced to death. In addition to the fact that the execution of several witches at the same time, in the main square of the city, was an unusual event, the judges decided to apply an exemplary punishment, likely to have a lasting effect on public opinion. Indeed, they had ordered that three of them be hanged, two others strangled and the last one... rolled. One can imagine that this subtle distinction in sentences corresponded to a sort of graduation of the guilt of each convict.

On Wednesday 13 October, in front of a large crowd, the six witches were handed over to the executioner of Lille and his assistants. The Lille craftsman Pierre-Ignace Chavatte, who witnessed this execution, notes in his diary that "the justice lasted two hours, from 3 to 5 and a bit more. (1)
The first had her tongue cut out "with a sigeau" (scissors) and then finished off with the garrote. The chronicler specifies "she was not strangled, she was garotted at the stake". Tied to a post - called an estacque in local dialect - she probably died of suffocation. The second one suffered the same treatment. Three others were hanged.
As for the last one, named Marie-Madeleine Wagon, she was subjected - without it being possible to explain why - to the terrible torture of the wheel. Pierre-Ignace Chavatte details the course of this singular execution: "On the scaffold she descended herself: she put on her dresser and then her ratchet and then a small bay; and she had white quenneson, and she threw herself on the cross very constantly and being on the cross one began to strangle her and then after luy were given three blows of iron bar on the belly and after the executioner went to the bilion to twist the rope and then took again the said iron bar and gave her five more blows and luy were broken arms and legs. " (2)
This description can be interpreted as follows: When she arrived at the scaffold, Marie-Madeleine Wagon undressed herself; she took off her apron and her dress and kept only her pants. With great courage she lay down on the cross of Saint Andrew. A rope was placed around her neck, which, as it tightened, caused her to lose consciousness. Then, with an iron bar, the executioner gave her three blows on the chest. Then, by twisting the tourniquet again, he finished strangling her. Finally, he took up his iron bar and successively broke her arms and legs.

(1) Bibliothèque Nationale, N.A.F. 24089 f°302r°/v°.
(2) Ibidem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom