Footrest - people experiences and styles

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hey everyone,

I can see this thread - https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/adjustable-footrest-or-not.9966/ which asks about whether people use footrests. What it doesn't ask is:
1. What type of footrest do you use? - I see there being multiple styles, flat, slanted, feet spread etc.
2. How much longer does it give you when you are crucified?

My thoughts:

I've always, for obvious reasons, been interested in how the feet were attached to the cross. Growing up, I was heavily influenced by the attached picture of Jesus' nailed feet. Nicely crossed with a single nail holding them to a footrest.

Now I've spent alot of time thinking about this. First point, I'm not a fan of nailing the feet through the heel bones. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it seems much harder work trying to put a nail through bone. And thats before you take the bibles account saying no bones were broken. I think that the romans, ever practical would nail in whatever way was easiest. And I think that was through the top of the foot.

I also believe that as a rule, the victim was nailed with one nail through each foot, with the foot flush to the stipes. No mucking around trying to put on a footrest at the correct height, and no fighting to get a single nail through both feet. Seems easiest and quickest way to get the victim mounted on their cross.

However, what if a footrest was used occasionally? After having spent sometime hanging on the cross, both with a footrest and without a footrest I have some possible conclusions. The footrest I created was with a 45 degree slope. Not a 90 degree flat stand, which would just allow the victim to stand. Part of the reason I created it that way was due to the pictures I grew up with, but also due to what I see as added cruelty. With the 45 degree slope, standing to breath now becomes much easier, but you are still putting alot of force onto the nail to stand. So you will still have to go back to hanging by your wrists, but the standing doesn't sap as much energy. Therefore one would last much longer on the cross.

I also experimented with crossed feet. When feet are flush, crossing them is completely impractical. The angles are all wrong, and it would possibly almost break your ankles. Would be very hard to hold while trying to nail, unless the angle of knees had your feet almost touching your bum. This then makes it a struggle to use your legs to lift at all. However with the 45 degree footrest, having your feet crossed is now possible. It doesn't much impact your ability to lift.

Someone posted sometime ago that they didn't think that Roman nails would be strong enough for a single nail through both feet. (Sorry couldn't find the post). I think thats wrong. If they were able to forge a sword strong enough to take hits, and give hits without snapping or denting to badly, then I don't see manufacturing a nail strong enough to hold two feet as much of an issue.

Now as to my mileage, with the footrest, and feet side by side, I'd say I get an etc 20% time crucified than without the footrest. Its much easier to stand, not as much effort to lift so can stay off my arms for a longer period before I have to drop down again. You still have to dance, its just not quite as difficult. With crossed feet, while its pretty, you are now lifting with pretty much one left. Can be done but it harder work - your time on the cross would have been shorter.

I've gone first, so I'd love to see your footrests and you using them!!!

Attachments

• jesus_feet.jpg
    jesus_feet.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Edited Nailing.jpg
    Edited Nailing.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 65
  • feet_crossed.jpg
    feet_crossed.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 60
  • feet_side_by_side.jpg
    feet_side_by_side.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 72
  • blurred_hanging.jpg
    blurred_hanging.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 94
It`s a small universe which can influence all the show in any way. Here is a simple pole on which you can stand but after a while cuts painfully to the sole. There are angles, and it can be small and short like in my diorama stages.

there are other solutions in cross workshop

sentence.jpg

Back
Top Bottom