From Arcimboldo to R. Cimboldo...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Clockwise

Romilda of Friuli

Romilda or Ramhilde (died 611), was a Duchess consort of Friuli by marriage to Duke Gisulf II of Friuli. She served as regent of Friuli in 611, during the invasion of the Pannonian Avars.

Romilda was reportedly the daughter of Garibald I of Bavaria. She married Gisulf II of Friuli, and became the mother of the sons Tasso, Kakko, Radoald and Grimoald, and the daughters Appa and Geila (or Gaila), married to the King of the Alemanni (uncertain) and the Prince of the Bavarians, probably Garibald II of Bavaria.

In 611, the Duchy of Friuli was invaded by the Pannonian Avars under their king Cacan. Gisulf II died on the battle field, and the Avars besieged the main capital Friuli, which was defended by Romilda, who had taken command as regent. Romilda famously offered the Avarian king Cacan to surrender the city peacefully, if he accepted her peace offering by a marriage between them. Cacan accepted the offer, and the siege was lifted. However, when Romilda surrendered the city, Friuli was pillaged by Cacan, who broke his word. He reportedly spent one night with Romilda and raped her, after which he allowed her to be raped by his soldiers. After this, he is claimed to have had her executed by impalement. Her children managed to escape.

Romilda has been given a very bad reputation in history because Paul the Deacon, who in his chronicle from the following century claimed that she made the offer of marriage to Cacan out of personal attraction and betrayed her city out of sexual lust. However, to make peace through proposal of a marriage alliance was in fact a common and accepted political peace method of the time.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I shifted the story of Romilda from the Early to the Late Middle Ages, with the clockwork already invented and any guttersnipe knowing the term clockwise...

Bild_2021-07-31_161924.png

I think it would be a safe bet that you did not graduate with top honours in Mechanical Engineering because there is no way your contraption could work!
I'm so sorry, but who have lost the bet!
But let us continue this debate at The New Arcimboldo Archive
as you proposed.
I have just posted the arguments there.

I shifted the story of Romilda from the Early to the Late Middle Ages, with the clockwork already invented and any guttersnipe knowing the term clockwise...

View attachment 1039212
This is one of the hottest execution devices I have ever seen. Mind if I borrow the idea for one of my stories?

This is one of the hottest execution devices I have ever seen. Mind if I borrow the idea for one of my stories?

Thank you for the credits!
I just glanced at "The ordeals of Alisa Foxen":

"Epilogue
Alisa was saved or was she? Was this a hallucination and did she die anyways?
I have ideas for a sequel to this story. That’s why I think she survived. Against all odds."

Fine! Despite some content in my pictures I like survival more than final endings - because that allows many cruel sequels! ;)
And of course you may "borrow" the idea of the rotating impalation.

Another martyr, indicated by the ICHTHYS symbol of the early Christian community.
Domina Lydia had caught her slavegirl indulging in the rites of that strange sect. Without delay she handed her over to the Aediles to apply Roman law to her...

Fishgirl
1627996401961.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be a safe bet that you did not graduate with top honours in Mechanical Engineering because there is no way your contraption could work!
1628000106102.png To begin with, I stand with my back to the apparatus, legs together, the screw is set so the beam's behind my head.
My wrists are bound back behind my head to the staple on the beam. My ankles are tied tightly to the cable that runs through the staples at either end of the base, and is wrapped around the bottom of the screw.
Now the screw is slowly turned, so my arms are lifted up by the rising beam, and my body with them, while the rope linking my ankles gets wound around the screw, pulling my ankles and legs apart -
until I'm in the position Arcimboldo's immortalised, stretched up and standing on my toes, with my thighs forced wide open, and my bum pressing against the spikes on the strategically-placed rail -
now my Torturers get to work ...

Seems to me to be a beautiful piece of cruel engineering! :devil:

PS Ah, I see there's a demonstration and post-PhD (Mech) seminar on this fascinating invention at:

Last edited:
Why is the impalement device not mounted to the machine ? I made 2 similar devices . One primitive and one at bit more mechanical . Like this one , cool stuff .
It's a "precusor" regarding the screw mechanism, but it's not an impaling device like Clockwise.

To begin with, I stand with my back to the apparatus, legs together, the screw is set so the beam's behind my head.
My wrists are bound back behind my head to the staple on the beam. My ankles are tied tightly to the cable that runs through the staples at either end of the base, and is wrapped around the bottom of the screw.
Now the screw is slowly turned, so my arms are lifted up by the rising beam, and my body with them, while the rope linking my ankles gets wound around the screw, pulling my ankles and legs apart -
until I'm in the position Arcimboldo's immortalised, stretched up and standing on my toes, with my thighs forced wide open, and my bum pressing against the spikes on the strategically-placed rail -
now my Torturers get to work ...

Seems to me to be a beautiful piece of cruel engineering! :devil:

PS Ah, I see there's a demonstration and post-PhD (Mech) seminar on this fascinating invention at:
A most precise description of the mechanism and how it works - equal to Montycrusto's interpretation. Thank you!

Forced to execute each other...

"Forgive me, please! After the scourging they asked for my assistance. If I would agree, they promised to kill me by impalement - and spare me the fire."
"Do it. Do, what they want you to do. But eventually being spiked on that tip, screaming your lungs off and watching them assembling the firewood on the base of that post - then always keep in mind: NEVER trust a ROMAN promise..."
forgive me.jpg

The amount of skill present in these images goes beyond simple photomanipulation. It’s frankly like a painting using a few photos as a guide. Every time I see an image in this style I’m impressed. It’sa damn shame that only Melissa seems to be as impressed.

Back
Top Bottom