I Will Be Dropping Off For A While .................

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hmmm, I beg to differ

Sounds very likely, Americans can seem very strange at times, unlike sensible upside down people like me!

It may interest both of you to know that there’s one place in the USA where they drive on the left hand side- The US Virgin Islands. It is a strange quirk presumably leftover from when the USA took these possessions of the British (noting this is a huge oversimplification as the individual islands were variously owned by different empires, and not necessarily as an entire group, so they weren’t taken as one job lot, St Croix, for example, was formerly a Danish colony)

Even more weirdly, they drive in the left using standard American left-hand steering (LHS) cars! So you sit in the gutter side as you drive.

Also, in both the USA and over here (plus I’m pretty sure also I tge IK and NZ) we can import opposite drive cars and easily register them if over 25 years old. One sees quite a few LHS American muscle cars over here like this. And it’s not entirely one way- Americans can do the same for classic Australian cars, I do know of several Commodore Utes (which are uniquely Australian- back when we actually had a car manufacturing industry) that have been imported with RHS intact to the US. It is also quite common for Americans to import older Japanese models as RHS, such as old Skylines and Celicas.

You're not helping. ( :biggrin: )

I believe the dating system is a matter of language.
In English one can either say "Today is December the fourth" or "Today is the fourth of December". Either one is acceptable and commonly used. In other languages, there is usually only one option. For instance, if I remember my high school German correctly, one always says today is "vier Dezember" and never "Dezember vierte" (please correct me if I'm wrong, German speakers). I don't know how or when Americans split with other English speakers in always using the ordinal "fourth" and not "December four" or "four December", but since we always say "December fourth" it became common to write the date 12/4/21. However, if the month name is being spelled out, it is not uncommon for people to us 4 December; I see this on checks a lot.

In English one can either say "Today is December the fourth" or "Today is the fourth of December". Either one is acceptable and commonly used. In other languages, there is usually only one option. For instance, if I remember my high school German correctly, one always says today is "vier Dezember" and never "Dezember vierte" (please correct me if I'm wrong, German speakers). I don't know how or when Americans split with other English speakers in always using the ordinal "fourth" and not "December four" or "four December", but since we always say "December fourth" it became common to write the date 12/4/21. However, if the month name is being spelled out, it is not uncommon for people to us 4 December; I see this on checks a lot.
I suspect it had to do with our tendency to be different and wanting to do things our own way. But who knows.

In German, the so-called "Numerale / Zahlwort", when used as an "Ordnungszahl" (= "atomic number"?) in order to describe the special place of a date or number is usually always used with the extension "-te" or "-ter", for example you do not say "vier Dezember" but you say "vierte Dezember = 4. Dezember" similar to "4th of December".
Depending on the case, e.g. genitive, it can also be "-ter", for example when you say about the birthday of a person / child: "Heute ist sein vierter Geburtstag." (= Today is his fourth birthday.)
But the cases "genitive & dative" in German are "a case" on their own. There are several famous and funny books about German grammar etc. with the title "Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod!" (= "The Dative is the Genitive his Death!")
That alone sounds very funny in German for "good German speakers" but it is really used in regional German dialects which sound funny in other regions of Germany. The author of this book used such an example:
In "Hochdeutsch" (= "High German"), you would explain in a genitive case the name of a football/ soccer stadium which is named after the caritative woman of a football player with a Polish-German name like this: "Das Stadion ist benannt nach Kloschinskys Ehefrau." (= The stadium is named after Kloschinsky's wife. [There is no genitive apostrophe "'s" in German.])
In fact, in the "Ruhrgebiet"-Region, you can really hear sentences in "impossible German dative combinations" like: "Das ist dem Kloschinsky seiner Ehefrau ihr Stadion!"
(= This is the Kloschinsky his wife her stadium!) => OUCH!!!

Last edited:
By the way, I will not be here in the forums as often as I used to be because I try to be creative in a "sublimation", fitting to my role as a typical German "smart-ass".

I am still in a mixture of feelings of lovesickness, anger about corona downplayers, a "Night Auditor's lack of light depression" and "looking for a job depression" and I thought: "Hey, why not writing your memoirs of all the crazy international people you have met at night in German hotels?"
I started yesterday with my book project which I probably have to write more or less anonymous because after my memoirs, probably no hotel in this world will ever accept me again ... not as employee nor as guest.
:eek::rolleyes: :facepalm:

(Wikipedia about "Sublimation":
In psychology, sublimation is a mature type of defense mechanism, in which socially unacceptable impulses or idealizations are transformed into socially acceptable actions or behavior, possibly resulting in a long-term conversion of the initial impulse.
Sigmund Freud believed that sublimation was a sign of maturity and civilization, allowing people to function normally in culturally acceptable ways. He defined sublimation as the process of deflecting sexual instincts into acts of higher social valuation, being "an especially conspicuous feature of cultural development; it is what makes it possible for higher psychical activities, scientific, artistic or ideological, to play such an 'important' part in civilized life."[1] Wade and Travis present a similar view, stating that sublimation occurs when displacement "serves a higher cultural or socially useful purpose, as in the creation of art or inventions.")

During the next weeks, I will try to stay as "sublimated" as possible. ;)

Good luck with your project @Silent_Water.
And for everyone else, there are many more linguistic peculiarities here in Germany. In parts of Thuringia and with our southern neighbors, the first and last names are very often exchanged, so instead of Fritz Maier we say Maier Fritz.
And please tell me afterwards what your book is called and where it was published. I think then I'll have to get a new book again.

Last edited:
By the way, I will not be here in the forums as often as I used to be because I try to be creative in a "sublimation", fitting to my role as a typical German "smart-ass".

I am still in a mixture of feelings of lovesickness, anger about corona downplayers, a "Night Auditor's lack of light depression" and "looking for a job depression" and I thought: "Hey, why not writing your memoirs of all the crazy international people you have met at night in German hotels?"
I started yesterday with my book project which I probably have to write more or less anonymous because after my memoirs, probably no hotel in this world will ever accept me again ... not as employee nor as guest.
:eek::rolleyes: :facepalm:

(Wikipedia about "Sublimation":
In psychology, sublimation is a mature type of defense mechanism, in which socially unacceptable impulses or idealizations are transformed into socially acceptable actions or behavior, possibly resulting in a long-term conversion of the initial impulse.
Sigmund Freud believed that sublimation was a sign of maturity and civilization, allowing people to function normally in culturally acceptable ways. He defined sublimation as the process of deflecting sexual instincts into acts of higher social valuation, being "an especially conspicuous feature of cultural development; it is what makes it possible for higher psychical activities, scientific, artistic or ideological, to play such an 'important' part in civilized life."[1] Wade and Travis present a similar view, stating that sublimation occurs when displacement "serves a higher cultural or socially useful purpose, as in the creation of art or inventions.")

During the next weeks, I will try to stay as "sublimated" as possible. ;)
For me, being a sub is a great way to sublimate! :)

Dear Loxuru,

I am almost afraid, there will be more similarities with "The Nightporter" than might be good for my health because ...
a) I will certainly mention my good and bad emotional feelings for guests AND my colleague(s), why I had them and so, at least four persons will recognize themselves. I will certainly try to encrypt the names as much as possible, so that no one will see the truth at once (my favourite example: I will turn names like "Langnese" into "Kurznese"!) ;)
But because of the stories which happened in true life, some persons will know that I mentioned them and a few of them will probably like to have a final scene for me and possibly my more than less loved too young colleague like in one of your favourite movies: "The Nightporter".
But I will certainly try to be as diplomatic in my anger about my fellow human beings as possible.
:mad:
And there will certainly be a lot of sex in this book like sex is usually often happening in a big German hotel - not so much crime because "Hey, this is the law-and-order-Germany of 2018-2021" but there will be probably more sex than everyone may expect.
I think, I will start the chapter about sex with the elderly couple in my hotel who once complained in the "formular of complaints" that they could look from their room's window into a sleeping room in the new apartment block 50 meters away over the street. All we employees in this hotel wondered how this couple knew at all that there was a sleeping room and what kept them from looking away ...
:eusa_doh: :facepalm:

I think, I will reappear here one day and write that there is a new book about life in a modern hotel written by "Anonymous (or a faked name)" which is so good to read that I would have liked to have written it by myself ("twink-twink"). I will of course deny having anything to do with it or being myself. (Hey, I know where I am here! :eek: )

Dear Eulalia, ;)

I am not sure, if you really want to understand what Sigmund Freud said about "sublimation", because he talked about socially acceptable "diversions" of sexual instincts.
When you say that "being a sub is a great way (for you) to sublimate", you are possibly "a bit too progressive" in your understanding of "social acceptability", aren't you?
... Just a little bit?
:cool:

All the best for you all here and in advance: Merry (and/ or Kinky) Christmas!
I really had a lot of fun with you all here! flower1
;)

Last edited:
I am not sure, if you really want to understand what Sigmund Freud said about "sublimation", because he talked about socially acceptable "diversions" of sexual instincts.
When you say that "being a sub is a great way (for you) to sublimate", you are possibly "a bit too progressive" in your understanding of "social acceptability", aren't you?
... Just a little bit?
:risas3:

But I'm a very socially acceptable sub!
(Well, probably more so than most of Freud's patients -
or even the great man himself!)

Good luck silent water, your book could well make you enough that you could buy your own hotel, just be careful where you place the cameras in each room! !

I thought he was going to be away through today.
Well, I thought he meant his visitors were just coming till last Thursday, then that maybe he meant today, but I am beginning to feel a bit concerned.

Back
Top Bottom