I’m OK

Go to CruxDreams.com

poem21045

Tribunus Plebis
I don’t know if anyone noticed, but I haven’t interacted on CF for a while. I live in Asheville, NC, and we’re ground zero for the destruction from hurricane Helene.

I had no power, no water, no internet for 4 days. Power came on two days ago, internet came on 2 hours ago (hence this post), but water will be out indefinitely. Optimistic estimate is that we’ll have water in 3-4 weeks. Others say at least 6 weeks, maybe even 4 months. The Asheville water plant was completely destroyed, as were the two backup plants. Hundreds are dead, including my son-in-law, swept away by the 35 mph waters of the Swannanoa River, which rose 25 feet above flood stage.

Things improved a lot today. FEMA and various NGOs are able to get here now (the interstates and almost all other roads into and out of Asheville were blocked or destroyed at first). I had a diner tonight from World Central Kitchen (it was delicious!), who has set up several sites around town to serve anyone who wants a good meal. Trader Joes has rushed 50 truckloads of food to us and is selling much of it at wholesale. And after a week I finally got a shower at a YMCA about 15 miles from here that is on a different water system. I never enjoyed a shower more. And, for those of you who appreciate my attempts at humor, after I said thanks to the young staff lady as I was leaving, I turned back and said, “You know, I thought I smelled a bear in my yard yesterday," [not uncommon here] “but it was just me."

Anyway, amid the intense sorrow and destruction, I thought I’d let you folks know that I’m OK. It will be a long recovery, both physical and emotional, for many people (like my daughter and two grandkids) who lost loved ones.

I may not post much in the coming weeks.

I don’t know if anyone noticed, but I haven’t interacted on CF for a while. I live in Asheville, NC, and we’re ground zero for the destruction from hurricane Helene.

I had no power, no water, no internet for 4 days. Power came on two days ago, internet came on 2 hours ago (hence this post), but water will be out indefinitely. Optimistic estimate is that we’ll have water in 3-4 weeks. Others say at least 6 weeks, maybe even 4 months. The Asheville water plant was completely destroyed, as were the two backup plants. Hundreds are dead, including my son-in-law, swept away by the 35 mph waters of the Swannanoa River, which rose 25 feet above flood stage.

Things improved a lot today. FEMA and various NGOs are able to get here now (the interstates and almost all other roads into and out of Asheville were blocked or destroyed at first). I had a diner tonight from World Central Kitchen (it was delicious!), who has set up several sites around town to serve anyone who wants a good meal. Trader Joes has rushed 50 truckloads of food to us and is selling much of it at wholesale. And after a week I finally got a shower at a YMCA about 15 miles from here that is on a different water system. I never enjoyed a shower more. And, for those of you who appreciate my attempts at humor, after I said thanks to the young staff lady as I was leaving, I turned back and said, “You know, I thought I smelled a bear in my yard yesterday," [not uncommon here] “but it was just me."

Anyway, amid the intense sorrow and destruction, I thought I’d let you folks know that I’m OK. It will be a long recovery, both physical and emotional, for many people (like my daughter and two grandkids) who lost loved ones.

Poem, I am SO sorry to read that about your son-in-law, that's terrible! Thank you for taking the time to update us, you are in my thoughts, and I hope the situation continues to improve.

Stalin supposedly said "when one man dies it's a tragedy, when thousands die it's statistics". Stalin was an ass, of course. This is a tragedy. If you set up a "go fund me" or something for your daughter and her kids, I'm sure you'll get some help from the forums. But people know there is really nothing that can be done to make things whole. Yes, it will be a long recovery. We used to be one country--I hope the response to this shows we still are.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
At last count, 14 people had died here in the Tampa Bay Area (12 in Pinellas County, 2 in Hillsborough). And the storm never got closer than 100 miles. We're used to hurricanes down here. But, areas were flooded that have never seen flooding before so many were taken by surprise. For an area as far inland as Asheville, this must have been something totally unexpected.
I'm OK, by the way. Just a few brief power outages and some downed tree branches. The storm surge did get within less than a mile of my house, which I didn't realize until I drove through the area and saw furniture and other items piled up for collection.
Poem, I'm glad to know you are OK and don't smell like a bear anymore (gotta keep your sense of humor).

I went thru Ashville several years ago on my way back to Maine with my camper. Stayed in a camp ground for one night. Beautiful area.
I hope they can get the destruction cleaned up soon. Good luck and my condolences.

So sorry to hear this, poem...

I've lived in South Florida for over 22 years now, ridden out a few hurricanes, and had to evacuate for a few as well, but I've never seen the sheer destruction that I'm seeing now

My condolences, and best of luck getting things back together

Back
Top Bottom