Limericks

Go to CruxDreams.com
Nah, it’s bri’ish slang innit. Nuffing! It’s just nuffing innit! Much ado abaht nuffing! :doh:
Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?

Use proper English you're regarded as a freak,

Oh why can't the English learn to speak!

Barbaria’s moans gain her nuffing;
Her hands in steel cuffs we are cuffing.
She’s going to be served
As a tasty hors d’oeuvre,
But first, the best part: a good stuffing!
Just one question, distinguished poet: why the name "Limerick"? I have already visited Limerick in Ireland, but I don't see the relevance. Question of an ignorant Frenchman...

Just one question, distinguished poet: why the name "Limerick"? I have already visited Limerick in Ireland, but I don't see the relevance. Question of an ignorant Frenchman...
I heard that while visiting the city of Limerick
Named after Matthew Potter, curator of the Limerick Museum and author of The Curious Story of the Limerick.

As the title suggests, the historian gets to the bottom of Limerick's history in his book. His goal is to create public awareness of the connection between Limerick itself and the famous poetic form. Limerick is said to be one of the few places that gave its name to a literary form.

And this is his theory: Limerick got its name from the so-called "Maigue Poets" Sean Ò Tuama and Aindrias MacCraith from Croom in County Limerick. The two lived and wrote poetry in the 18th century and used this special form of poetry very intensively and extensively in their works. In Irish, mind you. And while they didn't use the term "Limerick" themselves, it came from their poetry.

But the author Potter makes no claim to the absolute truth of his theory. Rather, he states: Our research into the origin of the name continues and we are hopeful that one day we will find the answer too.

Back
Top Bottom