Limericks

Go to CruxDreams.com
I heard that while visiting the city of Limerick
Named after Matthew Potter, curator of the Limerick Museum and author of The Curious Story of the Limerick.

As the title suggests, the historian gets to the bottom of Limerick's history in his book. His goal is to create public awareness of the connection between Limerick itself and the famous poetic form. Limerick is said to be one of the few places that gave its name to a literary form.

And this is his theory: Limerick got its name from the so-called "Maigue Poets" Sean Ò Tuama and Aindrias MacCraith from Croom in County Limerick. The two lived and wrote poetry in the 18th century and used this special form of poetry very intensively and extensively in their works. In Irish, mind you. And while they didn't use the term "Limerick" themselves, it came from their poetry.

But the author Potter makes no claim to the absolute truth of his theory. Rather, he states: Our research into the origin of the name continues and we are hopeful that one day we will find the answer too.
I live in hope that the element “Limericium” may one day be discovered and added to the Periodic Table.

This substance, of Irish origin,
Can be found after endless foragin’.
You can hammer it flat
For a tinfoil hat,
Or a wobbly bowl to put porridge in.

I heard that while visiting the city of Limerick
Named after Matthew Potter, curator of the Limerick Museum and author of The Curious Story of the Limerick.

As the title suggests, the historian gets to the bottom of Limerick's history in his book. His goal is to create public awareness of the connection between Limerick itself and the famous poetic form. Limerick is said to be one of the few places that gave its name to a literary form.

And this is his theory: Limerick got its name from the so-called "Maigue Poets" Sean Ò Tuama and Aindrias MacCraith from Croom in County Limerick. The two lived and wrote poetry in the 18th century and used this special form of poetry very intensively and extensively in their works. In Irish, mind you. And while they didn't use the term "Limerick" themselves, it came from their poetry.

But the author Potter makes no claim to the absolute truth of his theory. Rather, he states: Our research into the origin of the name continues and we are hopeful that one day we will find the answer too.
Thank you very much! At least I won't die an idiot...

An alternative theory is that Limericks used to be sung, to the tune of “Will you come down to Limerick?” (a traditional Irish jig). People would take turns singing a limerick, and everyone would join in for the chorus. However I’ve listened to renditions of this tune on YouTube, and so far I can’t quite fit the limerick form to it, though of course it may have changed over time. So, the jury is out. :sing:

An alternative theory is that Limericks used to be sung, to the tune of “Will you come down to Limerick?” (a traditional Irish jig). People would take turns singing a limerick, and everyone would join in for the chorus. However I’ve listened to renditions of this tune on YouTube, and so far I can’t quite fit the limerick form to it, though of course it may have changed over time. So, the jury is out. :sing:
Jury??? Oh Shit! I’m innocent! Really I am!

This is apparently the tune:

http://www.norbeck.nu/abc/display.asp?rhythm=slip+jig&ref=76

The lyrics as given aren't what we'd recognise as a limerick,

Kitty come down, come down,
Kitty come down to Limerick.
I knew by the glint in her eye
That she wanted a touch of the gimlet!

but I can see how it wouldn't take much varying to become one -

Kitty come down to Limerick,
Kitty come down to Limerick.
I could tell why
By the glint in her eye
That she wanted a touch of my Irish prick!

Back
Top Bottom