Man or woman?

Go to CruxDreams.com
You may crucify men or women, but with something in-between the matter becomes difficult.

Have you ever heard of this saint: Wilgefortis

Here is a newspaper clipping in German:

https://www.infranken.de/lk/gem/baertige-frau-am-kreuz-erobert-europa-art-5078961

They say it is a woman, but she has a beard. The reasons are unclear. Though she is dressed as a woman you detect little or no female attributes (breasts). For reasons easy to understand she was not presented naked. But general belief is that it is a woman, in German also known as "Saint Sorrow". She was known in various countries of Europe. The church never declared her saint officially, but nevertheless it appears that her cult was not entirely unpopular. It ended mainly around 1600, but still existed in the early 20th century in parts of Austria and Bavaria.

Equally unclear is of which crime she was accused and by who and when so that she suffered capital punishment. There is a legend that she was a princess, christian daughter of a pagan king. The precious clothes she is painted with certainly fit in.

I came across this recently and thought I should let you know, as fun-fact. Personally I prefer naked women without a beard.

Back
Top Bottom