Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
I confess I did not follow his career, and was far too young for his Eisenhower era pinnacle.

But he left a mark, and had a good long run.

That's sad - YouTube has pulled that classic double act with Sammy Davis Jnr, Royal Variety Performance 1961 for the Queen Mum.
There are clips from it in this compendium of tributes from the past 24 hours:

Politician, not only positive but finished the race discrimination, in some sense, in South Africa, peace nobel price (1993),

Frederik Willem de Klerk (18.3.1936 - 11.11.2021)​

So he helped, that we never will see again pics like this

154_1000.jpg

unfortunately then we will see

bdsmlr-9802977-Lqpn39k0r9.jpeg

South African author Wilbur Smith (1933-2021).

Maybe less known, but members with an 'extended memory', will probably remember movies such as 'Dark of the Sun' (1968) (with Rod Taylor, Kenneth More, Jim Brown, Yvette Mimieux), Gold (1974) (Roger Moore, Susannah York, and 'Shout at the Devil' (1976) (Roger Moore, Lee Marvin), which were based on his novels.

Saturday evening, 20th November 2021, the German "Rock 'n' Roll" singer "Ted Herold" died with 79 years together with his wife in a tragic fire in his house in Dortmund.
The German police is still trying to find out what caused the fire on the first floor but the German "boulevard newspapers" are already speculating about the circumstances and their first news were about the strange possibility that his old stereo system could have caused the fire in a short circuit. In any case, a sad death.

He once was called "the German Elvis" and he really once met Elvis Presley who was said to have been glad that Ted Herold was only singing in German so that he was not a real competitor for him. After the success of the Beatles also in Germany, "Rock 'n' Roll" was no more really successful and Ted Herold was in the following decades usually only guest on German revival TV shows and revival parties of the 1950's and early 1960's but he was never really forgotten by his German fans.

His most successful song was this ballad ...

... and his most "scandalous" song was this one because here he sings that he is a man and how he likes to be kissed. Today, no German can understand any more why some German radio stations banned this song in the 1950's:

And one German legend more has died: Volker Lechtenbrink (77), who was one of the most sympathetic, friendly and gifted actors of his time.

Seen from today into the past, he was a child of luck and happiness right from the beginning. Although born in East Prussia, his family was successful to escape the war to the Western parts of Germany and at the age of only 14 or 15, he played a significant role in the German anti-war movie "Die Brücke" = "The Bridge", which was one of the first and internationally most decorated German post-war movies.

Women were often said to fall in love simply with his low masculine voice - so he was for example the German synchonisation voice for foreign actors like Burt Reynolds or Kris Kristofferson - and at the same time, he never seemed to have lost the attitude of a little boy, curious for life.

His most famous song:

Even the most-seen German TV news "Tagesschau" had yesterday a special edition for him:

Truth is, I never was much of a fan

but I understand he wrote a few songs. :rolleyes:

Oh boy, I start feeling like a really old man because during the last two years, there were and there are really dying lots of famous German people, who often were younger than me, for example this one, who died, being only 52 years old:

A German "highspeed comedian", who could also imitate almost all imaginable sounds by his voice like in these two examples. The cause of his death is still unkonwn but at least there will remain many, really funny video clips of him on YouTube and in many German archives on many German computers, today funny and sad at the same time:

Oh boy, I start feeling like a really old man because during the last two years, there were and there are really dying lots of famous German people, who often were younger than me, for example this one, who died, being only 52 years old:

A German "highspeed comedian", who could also imitate almost all imaginable sounds by his voice like in these two examples. The cause of his death is still unkonwn but at least there will remain many, really funny video clips of him on YouTube and in many German archives on many German computers, today funny and sad at the same time:

The guy was good, S_W. Truly a great loss.

Back
Top Bottom