Post CCLXVII.

Go to CruxDreams.com
partially bent over and staggering under the weight of the rough wooden crossbar
Only five lines in, and Barb’s already propping up the bar :doh: :godsdrink0nw:
body after body, both male and female, hanging nakedly and wretchedly from the seemingly endless parade of rough wooden crosses
This is what joining CF is like for new members :rolleyes: ;)
I endured the humiliation of being rudely fondled and mauled, every so often, by passing guards
You’re welcome! Glad to be of service :p
kicks viciously at my knees and inner thighs to force them apart. And, grinning wickedly, begins to poke at my exposed womanhood with the toe of his hobnailed boot
Totally what I would do.. I’m basically Publius but with more brains. :D
reprieve comes from an unexpected quarter. The Optio has returned
Damn it! We were just getting to the fun part! :mad:
unimaginably tasteless souvenirs.
“My dad went to a mass crucifixion and all I got was this t-shirt”
a stunning cuff
..Paging Doctor Spooner!..

Well @Barbaria1 , despite my dumb comments I enjoyed this story IMMENSELY. :eek:. Always impressed by the facility with which you can hop from humour to seriousness in your stories, seemingly effortlessly, and with equal skill in both. This one has so much feeling and observation in it, it is very rewarding to read. Thank you! :love:

Only five lines in, and Barb’s already propping up the bar :doh: :godsdrink0nw:

This is what joining CF is like for new members :rolleyes: ;)

You’re welcome! Glad to be of service :p

Totally what I would do.. I’m basically Publius but with more brains. :D

Damn it! We were just getting to the fun part! :mad:

“My dad went to a mass crucifixion and all I got was this t-shirt”

..Paging Doctor Spooner!..

Well @Barbaria1 , despite my dumb comments I enjoyed this story IMMENSELY. :eek:. Always impressed by the facility with which you can hop from humour to seriousness in your stories, seemingly effortlessly, and with equal skill in both. This one has so much feeling and observation in it, it is very rewarding to read. Thank you! :love:
Thank you, God-Rmperor! I’m both flattered and amused (some real giggle snort lines there). Glad you enjoyed the story so much.❤️

Immediately to my right is an older patrician man, white haired, bearded and slim, his ribs sharply outlined against the thinly stretched pale skin of his chest
What a wonderful place to be! Nailed on a cross next to yours Barb! I deeply envy him! ;)
Even in his suffering, Linus appears to be unable to take his eyes from her and is clearly aroused by her vulgarly exposed feminine charms as she writhes and twists against the wood. He has sprung an erection, which has attracted the attention of and is most titillating to the crowd.
Most probably I wouls pay tribute to you in the same way!:)

And, as always, comments, banter … even limericks … are welcome. As are illustration contributions from our resident artists.
I once more could not resist to write my own viewpoint. ;)

Post DCCCXIV.

Among the hundreds of condemned in the conspiracy was also an older man named Loxuru. A lifelong bummer, freeloader, parasite, renegade and schemer. It was symptomatic for the amateurish character of the conspiracy, that they had included something like him in the plot. Under cover of a wine trade, he acted as go between for some of the main conspirators. He passed information (sometimes concealed as a wine order), and regularly sums of money (unbelievable he was entrusted for that) between the conspirators (after all, there was nothing suspicious about a wine merchant carrying money with him). He did this all of course, because he let him pay for these services, not for free – of course!. Actually, he did not bother at all about the political aspects of the conspiracy, but he had some grunt against the Emperor, particularly since that public flogging, years ago, for delivering goods of inferior quality and some other fraud. Even more, the conspirators had promised him profitable contracts for his wine business, once they would be in power.

So the point is, that Loxuru was well aware of the conspiracy and had knowledge of those involved. Although he was clever enough to deliver, on this occasion, quality goods, he could not keep his mouth shut and boasted about his important clients and how important they would be in the near future. So, he was one of the many leaks of the conspiracy, but he always managed to talk himself out when the conspirators inquired about it. So, instead of silencing him, as security would impose, they kept confidence in him.

One day, the infiltrator asked him to pass a message to one of the conspirators. Arrived there, he was already awaited by an arrest team. Like many hundreds, he was without mercy condemned to the cross.

It was almost midday when he started his walk to his final fate, along the Via Appia. His destination was post DCCCXIV. Considering that the higher the number of the post, the lower the importance of the conspirator, DCCCXIV was a flattering low number for him.

Clad in only a loincloth, he took up the already considerably long march over the cobbles of the Via Appia, which had already started to heat up by the sun that stood meanwhile high. The cypress and umbrella pine trees hardly cast shadow at the time of the day. Even worse, his march was an almost endless way uphill. Let’s make himself the account :

“As soon as I left the Appian Gate, I was ‘welcomed’ by an endless row of crosses, on both sides of the road. All kind of people, men and women, from 18 to over 81, nailed to the wood, as a punishment for their – alleged – part in the conspiracy. The ‘big shots’, who had not been in the opportunity, or had been too scared to take their own lives, and their wives, had been crucified closest to the gate. All stripped from their citizenship, so that they could be crucified, and from their wealthy garments, naked and humiliated, destined to die an agonizing death. They had hoped, that one day, the world would look up at them, and that is exactly what happened to them now, but not in the way they had expected.

Along the first stade, I recognized many of my former clients. I think, some recognized me, raised their heads, but they must already have been up there since many hours, from dawn, and they were apparently too exhausted to talk. The scene was hectic. We had to march across onlookers, and legionaries guarding us, had to clear the way for us. Gradually, I marched along people I mostly did not know. The further I went, the better the condition of the crucified still was. The first tens were only moving slowly and with difficulty, clearly giving up to stay alive. Some must have been dead already, or almost.

But as I progressed, there was much more life on the crosses. The endless row of naked bodies, writhing up and down performing the (in)famous ‘dance of the crucified’, made the scene even look more hellish. The crucified also expressed their suffering louder, moaning, crying of pain. Some even managed to exchange words with each other, words of courage, or words of cursing, to the emperor, to their cross mates, to themselves. I figure, all along my last walk, I will encounter all stages of my upcoming fate, but in a reversed order as they will occur.

I took no more attention to whom the crucified were, which I passed along. I had to focus on keeping myself marching, with the wooden burden in my neck and the burden in my head of where I was going to. It surprised me however how many people seem to have been involved in this conspiracy. The half of Rome, it looked like. Difficult to keep things secret with such a crowd of conspirators. On the other hand, it should be a wake up call for the emperor. At least, if the emperor is still capable of detecting wake up calls.

I pass along post CCLX. A quick calculation (the ability of doing fast calculations has always been an important asset for my survival) learns me that I am only a third underway, while that bloody Via Appia keeps going uphill! I am sweating, already exhausted and thirsty, my legs tremble, and that beam in my neck is its own torture. Suddenly, there is a bit of rumour in front of me. Apparently, some young ruffians among the onlookers had tried to amuse themselves by fondling one of the crucified ladies. The legionary guarding her cross, has however prevented this, cuffing one of them. I look up, and really, the woman looks very attractive, even in her suffering. She’s on post CCLXVII, I notice, and then, suddenly, I recognize her! She is the wife of one of the conspirators! One who escaped the cross by killing himself, but clearly, they did not spare his wife! Obvious that they crucified her : who shares the marital bed, shares the other one’s secrets! And the other one’s guilt!

I recall her specifically, since, when her husband had ordered a load of wine from me, he specifically purchased a crate of amphorae with Riesling for her. And it better would have been of very good quality, he requested, so that she would not complain whole days long about it. Let me point out, Riesling wine had to be brought all the way from the Rhine region, so it was rather expensive. But the man was prepared to spend the money, to please his wife, so I permitted myself an extra profit on the deliveries. I had seen his wife on a few occasions, and I recall her as very elegant, stylish lady, the queen of the estate. Now that I see her naked, I realise that, regardless him being dead now, what a lucky bastard her husband has been, for the time that he has lived. Ducissa Barbara Morilla, her titulus mentions. Now I know her name.

‘Clack!’ I shout of pain when one of the legionaries hits me on my thigh with a stick. Staring at Barbara Morilla, I had, unperceived, slowed down my pace and stopped.

‘Walk, you lazy cow’, the guard yells, to the pleasure of the nearby onlookers.

As a reaction on the lash, I hear a shriek, coming from a cross opposite of Morilla. To my bewilderment, it comes from Lucilla, Morilla’s maidservant, whom I have met regularly during my wine deliveries. Pleasant to deal with, sometimes a bit flirting, we had more than one chat in the scullery of the estate. It angers me that she, completely innocent, has also been subjected to this cruel and humiliating ordeal.

‘Hey! This is not a tourist venue! This is the Via Appia! March!’ The guard hits me again, and with great effort, I restart the march, with the heavy beam in my neck, on the eternally uphill road. I throw a last look on the crucified Barbara Morilla (whom, I doubt has given attention to this simple plebeian; once a noble, always a noble, even when she’s nailed naked to a cross), and to Lucilla (who looks at me with concern in her eyes).

‘I am on DCCCXIV!’ I stupidly remark.

Then, I continue the march to the end of the row of crucified.

It is clear for me now, that not only the conspirators got crucified, but also their relatives, acquaintances, and even servants and slaves. People whom, I knew, had nothing to do with the conspiracy. Clearly, the principle of guilty by suspicion, or even by association, had been applied.

All right, idiots like me, participating in that stupid, blundering conspiracy, deserve no better, but people like Lucilla,… that angers me!

I suddenly realise that I better accept my fate. It otherwise would not be fair towards Lucilla and all the other innocent people. I must undergo it all, no matter how cruel it will be. It’s game over! Full stop! My luck has ran out, so let it be, it is even overdue! On your feet, Lox, and march, I order myself, it is still a long way to post DCCCXIV. Maybe I can distract myself by keeping the images in my head of the crucified Barbara Morilla and that of unfortunate Lucilla.”

The end (although not yet in sight)

I once more could not resist to write my own viewpoint. ;)

Post DCCCXIV.

Among the hundreds of condemned in the conspiracy was also an older man named Loxuru. A lifelong bummer, freeloader, parasite, renegade and schemer. It was symptomatic for the amateurish character of the conspiracy, that they had included something like him in the plot. Under cover of a wine trade, he acted as go between for some of the main conspirators. He passed information (sometimes concealed as a wine order), and regularly sums of money (unbelievable he was entrusted for that) between the conspirators (after all, there was nothing suspicious about a wine merchant carrying money with him). He did this all of course, because he let him pay for these services, not for free – of course!. Actually, he did not bother at all about the political aspects of the conspiracy, but he had some grunt against the Emperor, particularly since that public flogging, years ago, for delivering goods of inferior quality and some other fraud. Even more, the conspirators had promised him profitable contracts for his wine business, once they would be in power.

So the point is, that Loxuru was well aware of the conspiracy and had knowledge of those involved. Although he was clever enough to deliver, on this occasion, quality goods, he could not keep his mouth shut and boasted about his important clients and how important they would be in the near future. So, he was one of the many leaks of the conspiracy, but he always managed to talk himself out when the conspirators inquired about it. So, instead of silencing him, as security would impose, they kept confidence in him.

One day, the infiltrator asked him to pass a message to one of the conspirators. Arrived there, he was already awaited by an arrest team. Like many hundreds, he was without mercy condemned to the cross.

It was almost midday when he started his walk to his final fate, along the Via Appia. His destination was post DCCCXIV. Considering that the higher the number of the post, the lower the importance of the conspirator, DCCCXIV was a flattering low number for him.

Clad in only a loincloth, he took up the already considerably long march over the cobbles of the Via Appia, which had already started to heat up by the sun that stood meanwhile high. The cypress and umbrella pine trees hardly cast shadow at the time of the day. Even worse, his march was an almost endless way uphill. Let’s make himself the account :

“As soon as I left the Appian Gate, I was ‘welcomed’ by an endless row of crosses, on both sides of the road. All kind of people, men and women, from 18 to over 81, nailed to the wood, as a punishment for their – alleged – part in the conspiracy. The ‘big shots’, who had not been in the opportunity, or had been too scared to take their own lives, and their wives, had been crucified closest to the gate. All stripped from their citizenship, so that they could be crucified, and from their wealthy garments, naked and humiliated, destined to die an agonizing death. They had hoped, that one day, the world would look up at them, and that is exactly what happened to them now, but not in the way they had expected.

Along the first stade, I recognized many of my former clients. I think, some recognized me, raised their heads, but they must already have been up there since many hours, from dawn, and they were apparently too exhausted to talk. The scene was hectic. We had to march across onlookers, and legionaries guarding us, had to clear the way for us. Gradually, I marched along people I mostly did not know. The further I went, the better the condition of the crucified still was. The first tens were only moving slowly and with difficulty, clearly giving up to stay alive. Some must have been dead already, or almost.

But as I progressed, there was much more life on the crosses. The endless row of naked bodies, writhing up and down performing the (in)famous ‘dance of the crucified’, made the scene even look more hellish. The crucified also expressed their suffering louder, moaning, crying of pain. Some even managed to exchange words with each other, words of courage, or words of cursing, to the emperor, to their cross mates, to themselves. I figure, all along my last walk, I will encounter all stages of my upcoming fate, but in a reversed order as they will occur.

I took no more attention to whom the crucified were, which I passed along. I had to focus on keeping myself marching, with the wooden burden in my neck and the burden in my head of where I was going to. It surprised me however how many people seem to have been involved in this conspiracy. The half of Rome, it looked like. Difficult to keep things secret with such a crowd of conspirators. On the other hand, it should be a wake up call for the emperor. At least, if the emperor is still capable of detecting wake up calls.

I pass along post CCLX. A quick calculation (the ability of doing fast calculations has always been an important asset for my survival) learns me that I am only a third underway, while that bloody Via Appia keeps going uphill! I am sweating, already exhausted and thirsty, my legs tremble, and that beam in my neck is its own torture. Suddenly, there is a bit of rumour in front of me. Apparently, some young ruffians among the onlookers had tried to amuse themselves by fondling one of the crucified ladies. The legionary guarding her cross, has however prevented this, cuffing one of them. I look up, and really, the woman looks very attractive, even in her suffering. She’s on post CCLXVII, I notice, and then, suddenly, I recognize her! She is the wife of one of the conspirators! One who escaped the cross by killing himself, but clearly, they did not spare his wife! Obvious that they crucified her : who shares the marital bed, shares the other one’s secrets! And the other one’s guilt!

I recall her specifically, since, when her husband had ordered a load of wine from me, he specifically purchased a crate of amphorae with Riesling for her. And it better would have been of very good quality, he requested, so that she would not complain whole days long about it. Let me point out, Riesling wine had to be brought all the way from the Rhine region, so it was rather expensive. But the man was prepared to spend the money, to please his wife, so I permitted myself an extra profit on the deliveries. I had seen his wife on a few occasions, and I recall her as very elegant, stylish lady, the queen of the estate. Now that I see her naked, I realise that, regardless him being dead now, what a lucky bastard her husband has been, for the time that he has lived. Ducissa Barbara Morilla, her titulus mentions. Now I know her name.

‘Clack!’ I shout of pain when one of the legionaries hits me on my thigh with a stick. Staring at Barbara Morilla, I had, unperceived, slowed down my pace and stopped.

‘Walk, you lazy cow’, the guard yells, to the pleasure of the nearby onlookers.

As a reaction on the lash, I hear a shriek, coming from a cross opposite of Morilla. To my bewilderment, it comes from Lucilla, Morilla’s maidservant, whom I have met regularly during my wine deliveries. Pleasant to deal with, sometimes a bit flirting, we had more than one chat in the scullery of the estate. It angers me that she, completely innocent, has also been subjected to this cruel and humiliating ordeal.

‘Hey! This is not a tourist venue! This is the Via Appia! March!’ The guard hits me again, and with great effort, I restart the march, with the heavy beam in my neck, on the eternally uphill road. I throw a last look on the crucified Barbara Morilla (whom, I doubt has given attention to this simple plebeian; once a noble, always a noble, even when she’s nailed naked to a cross), and to Lucilla (who looks at me with concern in her eyes).

‘I am on DCCCXIV!’ I stupidly remark.

Then, I continue the march to the end of the row of crucified.

It is clear for me now, that not only the conspirators got crucified, but also their relatives, acquaintances, and even servants and slaves. People whom, I knew, had nothing to do with the conspiracy. Clearly, the principle of guilty by suspicion, or even by association, had been applied.

All right, idiots like me, participating in that stupid, blundering conspiracy, deserve no better, but people like Lucilla,… that angers me!

I suddenly realise that I better accept my fate. It otherwise would not be fair towards Lucilla and all the other innocent people. I must undergo it all, no matter how cruel it will be. It’s game over! Full stop! My luck has ran out, so let it be, it is even overdue! On your feet, Lox, and march, I order myself, it is still a long way to post DCCCXIV. Maybe I can distract myself by keeping the images in my head of the crucified Barbara Morilla and that of unfortunate Lucilla.”

The end (although not yet in sight)
Wow, Lox! That was absolutely brilliant! Loved it!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Deserves to be added onto the ebook version.

Hello @Madiosi …is that something that could still be done?

Here is a short crux story in 3 chapters.
It’s one I wrote some time back but haven’t posted until now. Enjoy.

And, as always, comments, banter … even limericks … are welcome. As are illustration contributions from our resident artists.

Post CCLXVII.

Part I.

“Post CCLXVII, Post CCLXVII, Post CCLXVII,”

He keeps muttering that to himself. He’s been doing it incessantly ever since we left the Porta Appia.

He leads me by a coarse rope tied loosely around my neck. I follow along, partially bent over and staggering under the weight of the rough wooden crossbar I’m forced to grip with both hands and balance across my bare shoulders.

It’s early morning, still relatively cool … the brief but pleasant time that precedes the stifling heat of a typical Roman summer day. The pavement stones beneath my bare feet are yet cool and damp, even a bit slippery. I take care to maintain my footing.

A slight breeze from off to my right stirs my long brown tresses … which hang free and loose over my shoulders and bare breasts rather than arranged in the stylishly flamboyant mass of curls and braids typically affected by an aristocratic young Roman woman like myself.

They had stripped me of my beautifully elegant stola and palla on the day I was arrested, leaving me with nothing more than the simple grey woolen tunic I now wear … secured at the waist with a braided leather belt, but with the top part torn from my shoulders and hanging about my hips in loose folds.

My utterly disheveled appearance says volumes about how far and how quickly I have fallen. It was my misfortune to have married a man of wealth and significance who had foolishly cast in his lot with a cabal of ambitious zealots plotting to seize power.

Ambitious, yes, but failing spectacularly due to the deceit of an informant planted in their midst. But it was actually worse than that. Truth be told, even without the informant, their insurrection was doomed from the start by countless indiscretions and blunders. Indeed, I can well imagine that half of Rome knew about it. The whole thing was unbelievably amateurish from the very beginning.

But what’s done is done.

I stagger on over the uneven stone paving, passing slowly by the gruesomely displayed human wreckage of the failed coup … body after body, both male and female, hanging nakedly and wretchedly from the seemingly endless parade of rough wooden crosses that flank both sides of the roadway for as far ahead as the eye can see.

My arms already feel the strain imposed by the awkwardness of keeping my crossbar perched squarely across my shoulders. The pressure against the back of my neck is uncomfortable. The weight of my burden forces my head and upper body to lean unnaturally forward. And with my wrists bound to the crossbar I am unable to shift the load.

It’s said that the wrath of Rome has no equal. In this instance it has chosen to summarily deprive the failed plotters of the citizenship that might have protected them, their families and households, from such a humiliating and barbarous end.

This very morning, before exiting through the Appian Gate, I overheard someone say that as many as two thousand, possibly even more, were destined to be crucified along the road before the day is over … the most prominent closest to the city gate, the lesser further out. And that once the spectacle is readied for viewing, the crowds are to be permitted to roam the length of the display to bear witness to the price of treason.

That I am apparently condemned to be crucified on the two-hundred-sixty-seventh roadside post, is indicative of the relative un-importance amongst the conspirators of my fool of a husband. I rue his silly, vainglorious eagerness to have joined such an obviously ill-fated venture. Not to mention the fact that the damned old fool, nearly thirty years older than myself, had gone off and gotten himself killed in the process. And, as a consequence, deprived me of the satisfaction of seeing the dumb bastard die nailed to a cross alongside my own! How I now despise him!

“Post CCLXVII, CCLXVII, Post CCLXVII,” the legionary tugging at my rope continues to mutter to himself as he leads me forward. That too adds to my fury and growing anxiety. I imagine that the thick-necked lout placed in charge of my fate is likely as dumb as an ox.

Together he and I trudge relentlessly on, passing silently between the endless double line of human misery. We follow others who, like myself, are being led forward to a terrible death … a death normally reserved for slaves and criminals. From all around, my senses are assaulted by a cacophony of darkly unsettling sounds … the groans and moans, curses, pleadings, sobs, cries, shrieks and wails of the already crucified.

And from a short distance up ahead come the shouts of the legionnaires tasked with extending this mass crucifixion tableau to the far horizon, accompanied by the ring of hammers striking iron nails and the howls and screams of those being nailed and raised.

My arrest took place in the middle of the night. They had stormed without warning into our villa, savagely slaying an old servant who attempted to bar their entry. I was brusquely ordered from my bed, told to dress quickly, bound at the wrists and escorted, under guard … along with my faithful young personal maid, Lucilla, and much of the remaining household … through the darkened streets to the Tullianum, the city’s notorious prison in which those awaiting trial languished,

In my case, the languishing lasted only overnight as the authorities were bent on moving quickly to make a public spectacle of the perpetrators of the foiled plot along with everyone … innocent or not … associated with them, no matter how tenuous that association might be.

My brief stay in the Tullianum was spent shackled, arms spread over head, backed against a cold stone wall …where, stripped to the waist, I endured the humiliation of being rudely fondled and mauled, every so often, by passing guards. But thankfully, as an aristocrat, or at least formerly one, I was spared the incessant gang rapes inflicted on the younger female prisoners of lesser rank, including my poor innocent servant girl, Lucilla.

“Post CCLXVII, CCLXVII, Post CCLXVII.”

My lout keeps repeating the same refrain over and over to himself. I continue to find this most highly irritating … ever more so as time passes.

As we move on, from off to my left, someone calls out my name. I turn half around to see who it might be.

Pushing upwards shakily with her legs and leaning out from the wood, face twisted into a grimace reflecting both effort and pain, is my dear friend, Livia … wife of Marcus Licinius Gannicus.

Marcus, one of my husband’s closest chums and co-conspirators, hangs listlessly on the cross next to Livia’s. His corpulent nude body is horribly bruised and bloody. His facial muscles are slack. His eyes closed. It’s difficult to judge whether he is dead or alive.

It’s startling to see such a close friend, stripped nude and nailed to the wood. Her flaming red hair, wet with sweat, half covers her face. Blood trickles from the wounds inflicted by the nails driven through her wrists and feet.

“Curse you, Barbara!” she croaks hoarsely. “Curse you, and your forever scheming scum of a husband for enticing my dear Markus into such an ill-fated venture! Curse you!”

I turn my head abruptly away. I cannot face her wrath, nor witness her shame.

My lout jerks my rope and I stagger on, now more bent over under the weight of my burden than before, Livia’s shouted venomous curses still ringing in my ears.

“Post CCLXVII, CCLXVII, Post CCLXVII.”

Annoyingly, the seemingly never ending refrain continues.

But not for long, for we abruptly come to a full stop. Raising my head sufficiently to look ahead rather than down at my feet, I see that I’ve nearly reached the place where i am to be crucified.

Not very far ahead, men and women are being being separated from the slow-moving column and thrown to the ground on either side of the roadway. Only a handful remain on their feet, in the shrinking distance that presumably separates me from the location of Post CCLXVII.

An Optio brandishing a “flagrum” materializes from somewhere up ahead. He is methodically working his way back along the column, lashing out at those still in line. The sharp hiss and dull thud-smack of braided leather thongs cutting through air and biting into exposed human flesh drifts towards me, mixed with the cries of his helpless victims.

Some stand their ground and stoically accept the lash, others sink to their knees to cower and beg. Some eventually fall to the ground, their fall awkwardly impeded by the heavy wooden crossbeams carried on their shoulders.

I wonder what I will do … how I will react … when he reaches me … to the terrible bite of his flagrum.

And before too long my turn has come. He stops and stands before me, hands planted on hips, regarding me carefully, looking me over … up and down.

TBC
Good read barb

This piece is truly captivating and exceptionally powerful, although it does have a touch of melancholy.. Hard to "decode" it but It is my assumption that the genuine aim was to go through a fast-paced emotional evolution. (Barbaria1's readings never fail to test my decoding skills).

Attachments

• Triumph of melancholy.jpg
    Triumph of melancholy.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 123
Back
Top Bottom