Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
Vivaldi - Nulla in mundo pax sincera RV 630. The soprano is Marie Lys.

'In the world there's no true peace' may not seem a very uplifting thought - though it goes on with more pleasant thoughts, at least for masochists like me:

Inter poenas et tormenta
vivit anima contenta
casti amoris sola spe.

'Among pains and torments
the soul lives content
with the hope of pure love'

Marie has an angelic voice - another fine singer of this kind of baroque music is Lea Desandre, a little deeper (mezzo) and very fiery and dramatic (she's French-Italian!) Here she is with another 'pleasurable pain' song, Sì dolce è'l tormento, 'how sweet is the torment', Monteverdi:

'In the world there's no true peace' may not seem a very uplifting thought - though it goes on with more pleasant thoughts, at least for masochists like me:

Inter poenas et tormenta
vivit anima contenta
casti amoris sola spe.

'Among pains and torments
the soul lives content
with the hope of pure love'

Marie has an angelic voice - another fine singer of this kind of baroque music is Lea Desandre, a little deeper (mezzo) and very fiery and dramatic (she's French-Italian!) Here she is with another 'pleasurable pain' song, Sì dolce è'l tormento, 'how sweet is the torment', Monteverdi:

9780520343252.jpg

https://www.waterstones.com/book/deviant-opera/axel-englund/9780520343252

**Edited to add: I see just inserting links has not been fixed

Oh, I hadn't noticed that, having got used to the 'insert' routine. A very minor irritation, but I'll mention it to IM.

There's certainly plenty of meat for studies of kinky productions of operas, from Monteverdi to Wagner and beyond. But for me those undertones are very apparent anyway, and singers like Marie and Lea reveal it and stimulate my kinky imagination without any need for a director to make it obvious.

Fittingly for this thread, a piece of music from “Plague Tale: Requiem” a video game released last year (don’t let that put you off!) set in medieval France during a pandemic. The music and lyrics are by Olivier Derivière:

Back
Top Bottom