Branding

Go to CruxDreams.com
This is an interesting thread. I was wondering if many of our CruxForums members have ever been branded either voluntarily or forcibly. Can you tell us about your experience?

This is an interesting thread. I was wondering if many of our CruxForums members have ever been branded either voluntarily or forcibly. Can you tell us about your experience?
I don't have the courage to do it voluntarily, but I have fantasized about being restrained in a public place and stripped, bent over a table and branded on my butt cheek. Not a large branding iron but maybe a paperclip heated white hot, shaped into the letter "S" for slave or "W" for whore. I would scream and cry and probably swear like a trucker.

How common was it for a male or female slave to be branded after being sold ?View attachment 113043
In modern times, Negro slaves often received multiple brands. The first thing on the beach before they were loaded onto the ship. Before being transported, each Negro was marked with a branding iron as to which owner he belonged to. Men and women were branded on their shoulders or hips, smaller children on their bottoms. This was important for insurance if Negroes did not survive the crossing.

The slaves were tied up and led in small groups to the place where their slave status was sealed with the brand.

The Negroes received the second brand when they were sold to middlemen in America. The Negroes were then driven to slave markets in the southern United States or South America and sold individually or in groups to farmers. Here they often received the third brand of their final owner.

Since slaves were increased through breeding, especially in the 19th century, many Negroes no longer bore any brands. Here the branding iron was actually used primarily to mark simple plantation slaves or to punish disobedient Negroes. Runaway Negroes often had their owner's mark or an "R" for runnaway branded on their faces.

Back
Top Bottom