How severe/dangerous are whippings?

Go to CruxDreams.com

KageKamen

Tribune
Not sure if this is the right forum, but....

I've recently been having a bit of a debate about what level of whipping is appropriate for various crimes in a totalitarian country. And when I think of more classic slavery situations, the image of slaves suffering a good many lashes comes to mind. At the same time, I know the Bible capped whippings at thirty-nine lashes because more might kill... though obviously there were people in the American South and so on who survived many more.

So assuming an average whip, how dangerous/painful/incapacitating are various amounts of flogging? And how is this changed by variation of tools and presence/absence of modern medicine?

Edit: Apparently the other person was thinking of a rattan cane - they're used in their country - so how do canings compare?

Its not only / in first place the number of lashes, its also what whip and where the impact area is.
Now that map here is for "sane BDSM", I don't think that "sane" strictly applies to those countries...

Attachments

• SpankMap.jpg
    SpankMap.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 274
Interesting question.
From my own experience it is very depending of the device in use. Which quality and material. If it will be some toy from sexshop, it will couse only slight pain, if hand made leather whip - it is different story.
When we speaking about real punishment (execution), i believe that there will be special design and materials to provide more pain or injuries for the victim.

Skin broken by whipping is a good way to get infected, which could be deadly in it self.
By whipping further then just breaking the skin the result is severly damaging to the under lying tissue as well. ->
leading to permanent damage to for example muscles and therefore inducing loss of function/mobility.

The more you whip, the more chance you will open up major bloodvessels-> chance of extreme bloodloss/death.

If you add sharp objects to the whip it will make damage more severe(for example the roman flagrum)

In my own opinion, any time that a whip (ot anything else for that matter) breaks the skin in any way, it is time to stop. BDSM is supposed to be fun. For myself, I prefer a soft leather flogger, or a soft whip.

If you add sharp objects to the whip it will make damage more severe(for example the roman flagrum)
Wondering what the "hard bits" in Roman flagrums were made of and why? Some of the pictures I saw online looked like stone or metal or combination of both?

Skin broken by whipping is a good way to get infected, which could be deadly in it self.
By whipping further then just breaking the skin the result is severly damaging to the under lying tissue as well. ->
leading to permanent damage to for example muscles and therefore inducing loss of function/mobility.
There are more risks in the nerves network. As a matter of fact a good part of above map is due to that.
Then there are underlying organs like kidneys that don't cope well with impact...

Well I'm talking about "punishment" rather than "play" - though still meant to be safe.
I think the amount of punishment would have to be on a case by case basis. Age, physical and mental condition, pain tolerance...all comes into play. The thing with caning is that it requires a judicious use of force. A 3/8" dowel stock cane can go from a mild sting to OMFG!!! in a hurry depending on how hard it is swung. Canes can do serious damage.

Because there are so many variables that influence how a specific body will be impacted by a whipping, I prefer to start with an outcome in mind. Is the whipping intended to abrade, cut, or remove skin? Abrading will leave the recipient with red marks, welts, or bruises and can be accomplished by using a light flogger, striking gently, or wrapping a singletail around the body. Cutting will draw blood at specific locations and can be accomplished by cracking a singletail as it strikes the body. Removing skin can be accomplished by cutting longer gashes that overlap until skin hangs in ribbons or falls to the ground. It will draw a lot of blood, but is probably survivable with medical care afterward.

In your totalitarian country, I would expect some combination of cutting and removing skin to constitute an appropriate punishment. I also find the singletail whip to be a versatile and fear-inducing choice of a regime that wishes to deter others from “crimes against the state”. Finally, the upper back is a good choice as a target because whipping there is painful, less likely to cause death, and can leave a long-lasting and visible record of “justice”. These choices now constrain the lictor’s job to a balance of technique and repetition.

Therefore, a sentence might be something like: “You shall be lashed with a singletail whip until your back is bloody” or “You shall be whipped with the standard implement until an amount of skin the size of this decree is removed from your back”, depending on the severity desired.

The drawback of this approach is that some subjectivity is introduced in the number of lashes. Instead of leaving the duration of the punishment to the discretion of the lictor, a third party may be needed to determine when to stop. This also presents an opportunity to “bribe the judge”. There are many scenarios described on this forum in which a recipient of corporal punishment might use his or her “skills of persuasion“ to influence how severely they are treated, whether to encourage mercy or extra suffering.

In my own opinion, any time that a whip (ot anything else for that matter) breaks the skin in any way, it is time to stop. BDSM is supposed to be fun. For myself, I prefer a soft leather flogger, or a soft whip.

100%

Pain threshold is also a massive factor. This can also vary depending upon mood, tiredness etc.

I prefer to start with an outcome in mind.
That's surely how they would go about it.

On the lowest level, do they want to inflict pain and public humiliation, but leave no physical scars?
So the lasting punishment is mostly social? - then take care to not hurt more than the outer layer of the skin.

Leave her otherwise a fully functional person, but mark the delinquent so anyone can see she was punished, at least if certain areas of her body are exposed? - cutting into the deeper layers of the skin will do that.

Disfigure her, cripple her, or subject her to risk of organ failure and even death? - going into muscles, nerves or causing shock damage to internal organs (as mentioned, the kidneys are vulnerable) will bring such consequences...

A tyrannic authority might announce the severity of the punishment but sometimes it might also leave the victim in doubt which will apply...

Back
Top Bottom