Phoebe of Ostia

Go to CruxDreams.com
J

Juan1234

"That's your cross," the guard pointed. Phoebe squinted up at the third cross from the city gate. "He raped his master's daughter and then murdered her."

There were five crosses on each side of the road leading from Ostia to Rome, and from each there hung a naked man. The man on her cross was dead, though only hours dead. Most of the rest were alive, panting, groaning, even sobbing. Normally only one or two of these crosses would hold a criminal whose flesh was not rotting or gone altogether, but after the recent slave uprising, there were so many people to be crucified that the emperor had sent handfulls of the condemned to the various towns and cities across Italia for execution. Thus Ostia was responsible for crucifying 150 rebel slaves in addition to the criminals normally executed here in a given week, and the governor, an efficient, business-minded man, saw no reason to build new crosses that would stand unused once the rebels' bodies had rotted off of them.

Nor did he see a reason for his soldiers to do any work that a condemned criminal could do just as well. They gave Phoebe a ladder and a short iron rod - very short - nothing she could use against three trained guards armed with real weapons.

"Don't be slow," said the leader, gesturing to the scourge in his rigiht hand.

Phoebe's stomach churned as she approached the cross. She had been waiting almost three weeks to be crucified, knowing her life was over, but never knowing just how soon the end would come. Then they had told her that morning: "Dorbus is almost dead. You're next on that cross." How her heart had pounded with dread!

It pounded much harder then than it had when she had first been sentenced. The sentence had been no surprise. She and her brother were the only slaves in a small household, and her brother had run away. So of course she had known before the trial that she would be put to death. And of course she had known that as a slave girl, she would suffer the humiliation of being publicly nailed to a cross and dying on display.

But now it suddenly felt real, and her heart was pounding again. Here was the cross she would hang from as she died. Here was the naked man whose place she would take. The agony of the death he had died - the death she would soon die - was etched into his lifeless face. His body was fully exposed, his member swollen obscenely in a permanent erection.

And she knew what he had done with it. She had to hang from the same cross as this pervert!? She had to suffer the same nails driven through her wrists, still stained with his blood, and to mingle her own lifeblood with his as she died? The dread and the revulsion at who this man had been swirled together in her belly until she could hardly distinguish what she was feeling anymore.

By now she had unbent the spikes through the man's feet and drawn them back through the wounds until his legs dangled free. Soon she had the ladder against the back of the cross and was untying the ropes fastening the patibulum to the stipes. Then the patibulum fell, and the crucified man with it, crumpled in a heap on the ground.

As she came aroudn the front of the cross to remove the nails from his wrists, Phoebe was suddenly aware that the two men on the adjacent crosses were watching her. She was fully clothed and free to move, while they were naked and pinned to their crosses like insects, and yet a chill of exposure ran through her when one of them spoke to her: "Missy, I've been begging to die, but now --" he winced, hauled himself upward a bit and drew a raspy breath, then cotinued, "Now I only hope I live long enough to see you join us up here." Then he seemed to laugh. His face twisted in a hideous grin of agony and his body convulsed several times with a sort of labored, choking mirth. Phoebe could see his penis beginning to reach out, and she almost cried.

Her work done, and eager to get away from that place, and from the gazes of the crucified men, she first loaded the cross beam into a small cart the guards had brought, then drug the rapist's corpse the short distance to the road. There, the guards hauled the body onto her back, bending his stiff arms to come down around her neck so she could hold them. His face nestled between her shoulder and neck, so that she was sure she could feel his hot breath down her tunic, and his ankles trailed on the ground behind her as she set off back into Ostia.

Great description - the idea of having to get the nails out of the body
knowing they're going to be hammered through me soon -
grrrrrrrr - wickedly cruel, wickedly thrilling!

Thanks, All! I will warn you - this will probably end before Phoebe is dead. I always find the build up and the anticipation far more worth reading and writing about than the actual act. Hope that's ok with everybody. :)

Thanks, All! I will warn you - this will probably end before Phoebe is dead. I always find the build up and the anticipation far more worth reading and writing about than the actual act. Hope that's ok with everybody. :)

I often feel that way too

I rarely kill off main characters. It's wasteful to put a lot of effort into creating one that you like and kill them off before you can milk them for a bunch of sequels.

"That's your cross," the guard pointed. Phoebe squinted up at the third cross from the city gate. "He raped his master's daughter and then murdered her."

There were five crosses on each side of the road leading from Ostia to Rome, and from each there hung a naked man. The man on her cross was dead, though only hours dead. Most of the rest were alive, panting, groaning, even sobbing. Normally only one or two of these crosses would hold a criminal whose flesh was not rotting or gone altogether, but after the recent slave uprising, there were so many people to be crucified that the emperor had sent handfulls of the condemned to the various towns and cities across Italia for execution. Thus Ostia was responsible for crucifying 150 rebel slaves in addition to the criminals normally executed here in a given week, and the governor, an efficient, business-minded man, saw no reason to build new crosses that would stand unused once the rebels' bodies had rotted off of them.

Nor did he see a reason for his soldiers to do any work that a condemned criminal could do just as well. They gave Phoebe a ladder and a short iron rod - very short - nothing she could use against three trained guards armed with real weapons.

Phoebe's stomach churned as she approached the cross. She had been waiting almost three weeks to be crucified, knowing her life was over, but never knowing just how soon the end would come. Then they had told her that morning: "Dorbus is almost dead. You're next on that cross." How her heart had pounded with dread!

It pounded much harder then than it had when she had first been sentenced. The sentence had been no surprise. She and her brother were the only slaves in a small household, and her brother had run away. So of course she had known before the trial that she would be put to death. And of course she had known that as a slave girl, she would suffer the humiliation of being publicly nailed to a cross and dying on display.

But now it suddenly felt real, and her heart was pounding again. Here was the cross she would hang from as she died. Here was the naked man whose place she would take. The agony of the death he had died - the death she would soon die - was etched into his lifeless face. His body was fully exposed, his member swollen obscenely in a permanent erection.

And she knew what he had done with it. She had to hang from the same cross as this pervert!? She had to suffer the same nails driven through her wrists, still stained with his blood, and to mingle her own lifeblood with his as she died? The dread and the revulsion at who this man had been swirled together in her belly until she could hardly distinguish what she was feeling anymore.

By now she had unbent the spikes through the man's feet and drawn them back through the wounds until his legs dangled free. Soon she had the ladder against the back of the cross and was untying the ropes fastening the patibulum to the stipes. Then the patibulum fell, and the crucified man with it, crumpled in a heap on the ground.

As she came aroudn the front of the cross to remove the nails from his wrists, Phoebe was suddenly aware that the two men on the adjacent crosses were watching her. She was fully clothed and free to move, while they were naked and pinned to their crosses like insects, and yet a chill of exposure ran through her when one of them spoke to her: "Missy, I've been begging to die, but now --" he winced, hauled himself upward a bit and drew a raspy breath, then cotinued, "Now I only hope I live long enough to see you join us up here." Then he seemed to laugh. His face twisted in a hideous grin of agony and his body convulsed several times with a sort of labored, choking mirth. Phoebe could see his penis beginning to reach out, and she almost cried.

Her work done, and eager to get away from that place, and from the gazes of the crucified men, she first loaded the cross beam into a small cart the guards had brought, then drug the rapist's corpse the short distance to the road. There, the guards hauled the body onto her back, bending his stiff arms to come down around her neck so she could hold them. His face nestled between her shoulder and neck, so that she was sure she could feel his hot breath down her tunic, and his ankles trailed on the ground behind her as she set off back into Ostia.
Excellent, Juan!

Great angle!

Very interesting beginning, waiting for the rest. Well done:goodjob:

There, the guards hauled the body onto her back, bending his stiff arms to come down around her neck so she could hold them. His face nestled between her shoulder and neck,

I thought the idea of emptying the cross was a fantastic original story, but having to carry the body as well---------brilliantly sadistic Juan. And I'm not much bothered if you don't get to the death bit.

Why oh why couldn’t she have been crucified in Rome or Aquileia? Then she could have only had to carry her cross, not the corpse. But this was how they did it in Ostia.

The dead man’s coarse, gray stubble chaffed Phoebe’s neck as she carried him down the busy road and through the gate, enveloped in his thick, firm arms, and she often felt his stubbornly erect manhood jabbing her upper thighs through her tunic. Even in death, this pervert had found a woman to make his own.

Phoebe had always been a good girl, and an obedient slave. She didn’t like the way the crowds of the city looked at her as she carried this macabre symbol of her condemnation. Though perhaps she was not fully aware of it, there was something in her that primarily sought consolation and some sense of belonging, even as she carried on her back what was in essence a metaphor for her own naked corpse. She knew the law. She knew she had to die. She didn’t dispute this, as unfair as it felt. She would play her role obediently, lying naked on her cross tomorrow, spreading her arms wide to accept the justice of Rome. But she wanted her obedience to be appreciated.

Somehow people’s glares, sneers, and raised eyebrows now made her more obedient than ever, as if she felt she had to prove to them that she was a good person. She was being crucified for her brother’s crime, and she wanted them to know. Did no one pity her? Had she suddenly been expelled from the social fabric of Ostia? Some of these people were her friends; others she had served before, and they had treated her well. She had often walked these streets happily, on an errand for her mistress. Her mistress trusted her, and she was proud of it. Now they all disowned her. Though she could not have expressed it, for the moment this hurt deeper than the dread of her impending execution.

“Please!” she wanted to plead, “I know things have changed, but I’m still me! You can still trust me!”

When she arrived at the prison, the guards entered her cell with her and the rapist.

“Put your arms out.” Phoebe obeyed quickly and they brought the dead man face to face with her and bound him to her, under his hairy armpits and behind her neck. Phoebe tried hard not to weep. Next they tied the corpse to her around her waist, his penis jammed sickeningly between her thighs. Then wrist to wrist and ankle to ankle.

By the time they had finished, Phoebe was weeping. It was a struggle to even move her face past the face of the dead man and breathe, because when she moved to the side, his head moved with her. Eventually she managed, and was ear-to-ear with him, his stubble against her cheek, his hands clasped around hers, his bare chest against her breasts, his bare thighs against hers, and the weight of his body testing her strength.

The guards locked the door as they left. “We’ll come for you in the morning.”

Why oh why couldn’t she have been crucified in Rome or Aquileia? Then she could have only had to carry her cross, not the corpse. But this was how they did it in Ostia.

The dead man’s coarse, gray stubble chaffed Phoebe’s neck as she carried him down the busy road and through the gate, enveloped in his thick, firm arms, and she often felt his stubbornly erect manhood jabbing her upper thighs through her tunic. Even in death, this pervert had found a woman to make his own.

Phoebe had always been a good girl, and an obedient slave. She didn’t like the way the crowds of the city looked at her as she carried this macabre symbol of her condemnation. Though perhaps she was not fully aware of it, there was something in her that primarily sought consolation and some sense of belonging, even as she carried on her back what was in essence a metaphor for her own naked corpse. She knew the law. She knew she had to die. She didn’t dispute this, as unfair as it felt. She would play her role obediently, lying naked on her cross tomorrow, spreading her arms wide to accept the justice of Rome. But she wanted her obedience to be appreciated.

Somehow people’s glares, sneers, and raised eyebrows now made her more obedient than ever, as if she felt she had to prove to them that she was a good person. She was being crucified for her brother’s crime, and she wanted them to know. Did no one pity her? Had she suddenly been expelled from the social fabric of Ostia? Some of these people were her friends; others she had served before, and they had treated her well. She had often walked these streets happily, on an errand for her mistress. Her mistress trusted her, and she was proud of it. Now they all disowned her. Though she could not have expressed it, for the moment this hurt deeper than the dread of her impending execution.

“Please!” she wanted to plead, “I know things have changed, but I’m still me! You can still trust me!”

When she arrived at the prison, the guards entered her cell with her and the rapist.

“Put your arms out.” Phoebe obeyed quickly and they brought the dead man face to face with her and bound him to her, under his hairy armpits and behind her neck. Phoebe tried hard not to weep. Next they tied the corpse to her around her waist, his penis jammed sickeningly between her thighs. Then wrist to wrist and ankle to ankle.

By the time they had finished, Phoebe was weeping. It was a struggle to even move her face past the face of the dead man and breathe, because when she moved to the side, his head moved with her. Eventually she managed, and was ear-to-ear with him, his stubble against her cheek, his hands clasped around hers, his bare chest against her breasts, his bare thighs against hers, and the weight of his body testing her strength.

Ugh ... gonna be a lousy night ... that’s for sure!

Great story and setting, thanks!

I fear that the conversation is going to be less than sparkling...

Sometimes I scare myself. What kinds of people have innovative minds for this kind of thing?? Yikes.

You have a fertile imagination, Juan, and I like it! :)

Sometimes I scare myself. What kinds of people have innovative minds for this kind of thing??

I used to be very worried about my fantasies - which are pretty grim, I've imagined seeing the body of another girl being unchained and left lying on the ground just where I'm going to be chained up an beaten to death or left to die - so not unlike yours, though I've never thought of being bound to a dead body for the night before I'm crucified, that's certainly a sadistic twist!

But finding this place where I can reveal my dark fantasies and share them without being condemned or locked up is a great help - I know people here aren't evil, we don't let our darkness spill over into real life - if anything, many of my friends here are probably more gentle, sensitive and caring than most, simply because they do face up to their darkness and let it play in this safe zone.

I used to be very worried about my fantasies - which are pretty grim, I've imagined seeing the body of another girl being unchained and left lying on the ground just where I'm going to be chained up an beaten to death or left to die - so not unlike yours, though I've never thought of being bound to a dead body for the night before I'm crucified, that's certainly a sadistic twist!

But finding this place where I can reveal my dark fantasies and share them without being condemned or locked up is a great help - I know people here aren't evil, we don't let our darkness spill over into real life - if anything, many of my friends here are probably more gentle, sensitive and caring than most, simply because they do face up to their darkness and let it play in this safe zone.

I think most of us might agree !

Back
Top Bottom