Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

Go to CruxDreams.com

mermaidhunter

Master Crucifixion Technician
I have spent more time than a person has a right to, neglecting alot of things that need to be done around the place, trying to learn Poser 9. I have used Poser 4 for about 10 years, adding in Vue and Luxrender to improve the render quality, I want to get the realism that I see in so many other peoples pictures. I cannot seem to figure out their secrets!!! My dream is to make photo realistic images of things that you cannot take photos of (like beauftiful women crucified).

I will keep plugging away, the Holy Grail is out there and as long as it is, and I am breathing I will look for it!

Here are two examples out of maybe a hundred renders.

Attachments

• crux_P9_001.jpg
    crux_P9_001.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 591
  • crux_P9_005.jpg
    crux_P9_005.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 597
You want to get realism?. That flow of blood is certainly the most realistic I've seen!! Keep plugging away I'm sure you haven't far to go.

I have spent more time than a person has a right to, neglecting alot of things that need to be done around the place, trying to learn Poser 9. I have used Poser 4 for about 10 years, adding in Vue and Luxrender to improve the render quality, I want to get the realism that I see in so many other peoples pictures. I cannot seem to figure out their secrets!!! My dream is to make photo realistic images of things that you cannot take photos of (like beauftiful women crucified).

I will keep plugging away, the Holy Grail is out there and as long as it is, and I am breathing I will look for it!

Great pics. I really like the closeup! A beautiful gal in agony on a cross -- the best possible fantasy!

I'm about to lad poser 6 and play around with it. Much of what you are looking for is done in post-production, such as Corel or photoshop. These pictures are fantastic and I am going to manipulate one... After all manips are post-production, just not by the original artist. I'll show you what I have done as I go...

Tree

I'm about to lad poser 6 and play around with it. Much of what you are looking for is done in post-production, such as Corel or photoshop. These pictures are fantastic and I am going to manipulate one... After all manips are post-production, just not by the original artist. I'll show you what I have done as I go...

Tree

True, the renders that come out of Poser usually require some post work to fix hair and other issues as well as adding the special effects. Like the blod trail in the close up image here. But the raw renders that some are able to achieve have a very "real" look to them, then when post worked can be awesome. But..... I am not saying that photo-realistic is always necessary or even desirable, it is just something that has always been very elusive for me.

Tree, please do use one of the pics for manipulation, as well as any I have posted to this site. I would be honored.

Thanks for all of your kind words.

I think your skill are GREAT Hon! Kisses!

[quote=" I am not saying that photo-realistic is always necessary or even desirable, it is just something that has always been very elusive for me.

Tree, please do use one of the pics for manipulation, as well as any I have posted to this site. I would be honored.

Thanks for all of your kind words.[/quote]

Agree that photo-realist is not often necessary. Ofter my stories take longer to do just because of manipulating pictures that I had no control over. The two above are better than 95% I've seen and whether you call it post-production or maniping it is far easier to start with good art. So keep it up!!!!!:cool:

tree

Very nice!

You're doing a good job... I never wanted my pictures to look real; crucifixion belongs in the world of the surreal. If the figures look too real, as would a photograph, a time will come when someone will mistake one of our renders for an actual crime against women. So as a fellow old dog, my age is easily enough to find; keep up the good work. The only suggestion I would/could make is to get as many pictures out of one set as you can; different camera angles, lighting changes, or perhaps another pose where the victim pulls herself up to gasp for air...
Make no mistake about it, you work is good,
Helmut

I want to get the realism that I see in so many other peoples pictures.
Lighting
Textures (skin!)
Imperfections!
Anatomic correctness.

Those seem to be the biggest challenges.
Your lighting seems pretty good.
Textures: Skins are never as "clean" as shown in most renders, also yours. Wood is difficult to do.
Imperfections: No face is really symmetrical! Take any face picture, split the face in the middle and combine the two halves to new faces by mirroring them.
You will get two different people in most cases! Computer renders are too perfect in this regard, what makes them less credible to our brain.

Anatomic correctness: Computer programs are bending the body models, and skilled 3D creators are able to eliminate artefacts (typically the ass is way off if the thighs are bent), but they cannot show how the body deforms under stress and gravity (girl hanging on a cross).
So she will be looking "too relaxed", unless this is corrected.
Muscles showing under effort, shoulders pulled up under stress, etc...

One problem of 3D renders is also that they get so close to photos. The brain will then switch to "reality mode" and react heavily on tiny mistakes.

That's why often drawings (even if far off) seem more credible than 3D renders, because the brain is in something like a "fantasy mode" and taking the drawing only as a guideline, generously even ignoring large errors.

Poser 4 to Poser 9 is a quantum leap! Welcome in the 21st century.
If you want to do realism, use the features now available:
- Sub surface scatter. All materials that are not metals have some form of diffusion of light below the surface. Poser 9 allows to use that, and even old figures like Posette come out as you never saw before. Download Snarlygibbly's Easyskin and use it. It gives SSS in the wink of an eye and gives understandable control over the parameters.
- Indirect Light; use real reflections and real light dispersion. Do not combine with Ambient Occlusion. Costs time but gives great results.
- use focal blur; much improved in Poser 9 and what 'sharpness' there is in the blur is easily removed in post-procesing.
- use displacement and bump. The cross you use, with all due respect looks like a photoprint finish construction but I presume is meant to represent rough wood. Add surface deformaation.
- Poser 9 does not feature gamma correction and some more options, that in general improve the appearance of textures used in shaders, output in HDR, or exponential mapping. Those are reserved to Pro (2012). If you have the hang of it, try a 2012 Pro upgrade.
- We wait the arrival of Reality for Poser. This render engine, based on physics rather than on tricks, is due in April. See the forum at RuntimeDNA. Price will be very reasonable, USD 35.- is mentioned, and resulta are stunning.
- A lot of information canbe found on RuntimeDNA. It is the favourite hang-out of BagginsBill, AKA Ted Czotter. He is the absolute reference when it comes to Poser shaders. Do a search on that name (BagginsBill) for a wealth of information. In the RDNA Poser forum check out the NodeCult subforum.

Bagoas, thanks for the wealth of info there!!! Can Poser 6 be upgraded directly to 9???

Tree

Back
Top Bottom