The Bronx Crux Murders

Go to CruxDreams.com
It's not in decrying French people that you'll grow ! And Simenon is not very representative of French authors ...
Fortunatelly that we also have Pierre de Ronsard, Racine, Corneille, Victor Hugo, Balzac and so many other'ones !!!
But perhaps do you not know them ?;)
Messaline, I am desolated that you thought I was using this example to decry the French. Truly that was not my intention. Whether Simenon was right in his belief I do not know, but I think his style is the best example I know of how much a writer or speaker can do without needing to use a huge vocabulary. I certainly did not intend to cite him as a particularly fine example of the vast French literature, or to endorse his opinions about vocabulary.
Incidentally, Jean Aitchison is also sceptical of his 600-word figure. Comparing that with his claim to have slept with more than 8,000 women, she commented rather acidly that he might have accidentally got his figures the wrong way round.

As soon as he got within a block of the station, Stan knew. The knot of people in front, the vans with satellite dishes pointed towards the invisible eye in the sky-the secret was out. He knew it was inevitable that a story this juicy would leak; he had hoped for a bit more time so that he could hint at some progress, but obviously that wasn’t to be. His head was throbbing.

“Three more years to full pension,” he thought as he drove slowly up to the station and waited for the crowd to part so that he could enter the parking area. “Shit, there’s that blond from Channel 7 and that guy Morton somebody-or-other from The Daily News.” He had tangled with them on a couple of recent cases and their sources were good, so he knew they knew he was point man on this one.

As the crowd parted he could hear them shouting, “Detective Goldman? What can you tell us about the crucifixion?” He felt like shouting, “I don’t know any more than you do!” but thought the better of it. Jones would chew him out if he did that. That would be Reginald Jones, his boss, Chief of the Major Crime Unit, who, he was told by the young woman who manned the entry desk, wanted to see him right now.

“Big surprise,” Stan muttered to himself. Not that he didn’t like Reggie-in fact, he did. The man was smart as hell at playing the political games you had to play with the brass downtown. It was just he wished he had a bit more to tell him.

Reggie was standing behind his desk as Stan entered his office, a tall, well-built, dark complexioned man who looked like the basketball player he had been back in college. When a career-ending knee injury had ended his dreams of an NBA career he had joined the force and done well for himself, as one might surmise from the expensive Italian suits he favored. “Well, Stan, as you’ve seen, the circus has come to town.”

“No kidding, Reggie,” Stan replied.

“Oh, it’s only just begun, Stan. In the last two hours, the Department has had calls from every national network, every major wire service and at least a dozen foreign countries. Downtown has already assigned two press officers to work only on this case. So what do you have for me?”

“Unfortunately, Reggie, I got squat so far.” He summarized what Yang had told him.

“And we have no idea who the victim is?”

“None. No match for her fingerprints. She was taken at least three days ago, since Yang is pretty sure she was on the cross for at least two days before we found her, and there hasn’t been a missing persons report that matches so far. They’re running her DNA-maybe a parent or sibling committed a felony and they can get a lead there-but that’s a long-shot.”

“Well, let’s feed the circus some photos and see if they can do something useful for a change. Someone her age has to have parents who are alive, a boyfriend, classmates, somebody who recognizes her.”

“Yep. That was next on the agenda, Reggie. Now that it’s public anyway.”

“Good, Stan. Listen, I know Dick is off on vacation and this case is too big to leave you short-handed. So, I’m assigning Moore to help you.”

“Moore? Barbara Moore? The new girl?”

“You mean woman, right Stan?”

Stan nodded. “Yes, Reggie, woman. She’s only been a detective for a few months. Can’t we have someone more experienced like Chiaparelli or McLain?”

“They’re in the middle of some big cases. As important as this one is, we can’t let other things slide. Besides, I think having a woman working on the case will appeal to the media.”

“OK, Reggie, I see your point,” Stan acknowledged.

“Good, Stan. And she’s a smart cookie. I think you two will work well together.”

“I trust your judgement on that, Reggie,” Stan replied, almost convincing himself.

“Alright, Stan, enough talking. Get to work and catch these creeps. I want updates morning and evening and any time there’s news. I don’t want to learn anything from the media before I have it from you. You got that?” Stan nodded. “Good,” Reggie replied. “You’re the man, Stan.”

“Yeah, I’m the man, Reggie,” Stan replied. It was hard to be the man with a pounding headache and no sleep, but he’d give it his best.

Last edited by a moderator:
police-academy-banner.png Just out of the Academy at College Point, with my detective third grade certification. Salary somewhere between a common police officer and a sergeant, maybe a little less on account of my gender. :confused:

7S5tB.jpg Anyway, this could be my big break ... only a little over two months on the force ... and I am getting a chance to work with Goldman! They say he is a cynic and kind of a hard guy to get to know ... he won't be happy about having me tag along ... but I am pretty sure that I can both impress him and tame him if I try.

HxlZCr.jpg Guys are so easy if you play them right! ;)

Last edited:
Just out of the Academy at College Point, with my detective third grade certification. Salary somewhere between a common police officer and a sergeant, maybe a little less on account of my gender

A little less on account of your gender sounds reasonable.

and I am getting a chance to work with Goldman! They say he is a cynic and kind of a hard guy to get to know ..

Under that gruff exterior is an even gruffer interior.
I am pretty sure that I can both impress him and tame him if I try.

Tame me? Yeah right? You'd have a better chance down at the public library with this guy nyc-public-library-11155.jpg
Guys are so easy if you play them right!

Yes, but do you know how to play them or will you get played in the end (pun intended)inposition02.jpg pic03.jpg ?

Messaline, I am desolated that you thought I was using this example to decry the French. Truly that was not my intention.
OK,andy ! Perhaps that I also am too much quick to reply !
Anyway, I'm sure that you could read some of our great French writters (translated ?) and no doubt that they're competing with English'ones !:)

Oh ! There was a "long time" ago that she wasn't appeared in a story !:rolleyes::D

HxlZCr.jpg ... in my opinion, she could be "interested" to play one of the future victims in this story ...:D

Mmmmmm ! Barb, you're more and more ......... "baisable" ! (able to be fucked, even by a woman :rolleyes: !)

lesbian-rub-per-pussy.gif gif

As soon as he got within a block of the station, Stan knew. The knot of people in front, the vans with satellite dishes pointed towards the invisible eye in the sky-the secret was out. He knew it was inevitable that a story this juicy would leak; he had hoped for a bit more time so that he could hint at some progress, but obviously that wasn’t to be. His head was throbbing.

“Three more years to full pension,” he thought as he drove slowly up to the station and waited for the crowd to part so that he could enter the parking area. “Shit, there’s that blond from Channel 7 and that guy Morton somebody-or-other from The Daily News.” He had tangled with them on a couple of recent cases and their sources were good, so he knew they knew he was point man on this one.

As the crowd parted he could hear them shouting, “Detective Goldman? What can you tell us about the crucifixion?” He felt like shouting, “I don’t know any more than you do!” but thought the better of it. Jones would chew him out if he did that. That would be Reginald Jones, his boss, Chief of the Major Crime Unit, who, he was told by the young woman who manned the entry desk, wanted to see him right now.

“Big surprise,” Stan muttered to himself. Not that he didn’t like Reggie-in fact, he did. The man was smart as hell at playing the political games you had to play with the brass downtown. It was just he wished he had a bit more to tell him.

Reggie was standing behind his desk as Stan entered his office, a tall, well-built, dark complexioned man who looked like the basketball player he had been back in college. When a career-ending knee injury had ended his dreams of an NBA career he had joined the force and done well for himself, as one might surmise from the expensive Italian suits he favored. “Well, Stan, as you’ve seen, the circus has come to town.”

“No kidding, Reggie,” Stan replied.

“Oh, it’s only just begun, Stan. In the last two hours, the Department has had calls from every national network, every major wire service and at least a dozen foreign countries. Downtown has already assigned two press officers to work only on this case. So what do you have for me?”

“Unfortunately, Reggie, I got squat so far.” He summarized what Yang had told him.

“And we have no idea who the victim is?”

“None. No match for her fingerprints. She was taken at least three days ago, since Yang is pretty sure she was on the cross for at least two days before we found her, and there hasn’t been a missing persons report that matches so far. They’re running her DNA-maybe a parent or sibling committed a felony and they can get a lead there-but that’s a long-shot.”

“Well, let’s feed the circus some photos and see if they can do something useful for a change. Someone her age has to have parents who are alive, a boyfriend, classmates, somebody who recognizes her.”

“Yep. That was next on the agenda, Reggie. Now that it’s public anyway.”

“Good, Stan. Listen, I know Dick is off on vacation and this case is too big to leave you short-handed. So, I’m assigning Moore to help you.”

“You mean woman, right Stan?”

Stan nodded. “Yes, Reggie, woman. She’s only been a detective for a few months. Can’t we have someone more experienced like Chiaparelli or McLain?”

“They’re in the middle of some big cases. As important as this one is, we can’t let other things slide. Besides, I think having a woman working on the case will appeal to the media.”

“OK, Reggie, I see your point,” Stan acknowledged.

“Good, Stan. And she’s a smart cookie. I think you two will work well together.”

“I trust your judgement on that, Reggie,” Stan replied, almost convincing himself.

“Alright, Stan, enough talking. Get to work and catch these creeps. I want updates morning and evening and any time there’s news. I don’t want to learn anything from the media before I have it from you. You got that?” Stan nodded. “Good,” Reggie replied. “You’re the man, Stan.”

“Yeah, I’m the man, Reggie,” Stan replied. It was hard to be the man with a pounding headache and no sleep, but he’d give it his best.

Well, I'm not sure how many different words Windar has used so far, but given that one is 'crucifixion', I'm hooked!

:popcorn:

Mind you, he picked two that I wasn't expecting, "Barbara" and "Moore".

You do realise that she can't read fine fingerprints? :rolleyes:

She’s only been a detective for a few months. Can’t we have someone more experienced

Aha, little do you know, you've got one of the super-sleuths from the Cruxers' Bureau of Investigation -
remember their triumph a few months back? You couldn't get a better agent on a crux case ;) :devil:

Aha, little do you know, you've got one of the super-sleuths from the Cruxers' Bureau of Investigation -
remember their triumph a few months back? You couldn't get a better agent on a crux case ;) :devil:

00003828.Little.Caprice.jpg Thank you. Good to know there is someone out there who thinks I can sleuth.

View attachment 498754 Thank you. Good to know there is someone out there who thinks I can sleuth.

Sleuth yes but what happens should you actually catch the perpetrators? That always strikes me as the dangerous bit.

Squirrel C.jpg Take it from this rodent, it often pays to look as if you are getting absolutely nowhere until you are quite sure you have all of your birds lined up in a neat row.

Sleuth yes but what happens should you actually catch the perpetrators? That always strikes me as the dangerous bit.

View attachment 498761 Take it from this rodent, it often pays to look as if you are getting absolutely nowhere until you are quite sure you have all of your birds lined up in a neat row.

You mean nuts, not birds, right? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom