Against All Odds: A Gilded Age Romance

Go to CruxDreams.com
Chapter 15.

Had Stan been shocked to have seen Barbara at breakfast? Yes and no. Of course, it was strange to find someone that you had been desperately trying to meet for months literally falling into your lap a couple of hundred miles from where you had been looking for them.

But, on the other hand, it wasn’t that surprising. People with fortunes like James Moore and the families that he hoped to marry his daughter into didn’t spend the summer in the city. They went either to Newport or Saratoga. Newport was a bit stuffy for a rugged Midwestern type like Moore, so it wasn’t completely unexpected that he would turn up here.

Still, when he had locked eyes with her as he made his way to his table, he had felt the same magnetic force pass between them that he had in Delmonico’s when they had first laid eyes upon each other. He had thought about approaching her, but on what pretext? Her father was a not a man to tolerate being approached by someone like Stan Goldman.

The end result would likely had been to have been publicly chastened in front of the entire assembled crowd and thrown out of the hotel, which barely tolerated people such as himself in the best of circumstances. Why, given James Moore’s bulk, developed during his early years laboring in the north woods, it was not out of the question that Stan could have suffered real physical harm.

So, he had continued on to the table that the hostess directed him to. And as he sat there eating his breakfast, he couldn’t help noticing that every time he looked up, Barbara was staring at him, even while conversing with her father. Stan was convinced that whatever he felt, she was feeling, too.

Then there was that “stumble”. Stan hadn’t succeeded to the extent that he had swimming with the sharks on Wall St. and at the racetracks without knowing a trick when he saw one. To have tripped right in front of him and fallen into his arms was no co-incidence, of that he was quite sure.

And, when he had caught her, she didn’t pull back, as a woman of her social standing might well have done. No, she lingered in his arms longer than was strictly necessary to regain her balance. Not that he minded in the slightest. It felt quite wonderful to hold her-especially that tight little ass of hers, from which she made no effort at all to remove his fingers.

Then how to play it? He certainly knew who she was. But to greet her as a friend or even an acquaintance in front of the other guests, at the nearby tables, many of whom had looked up from their breakfasts when Barbara had tripped, would have been risky, particularly with her father nearby.

So he had feigned ignorance of her identity. And, quickly rising to the occasion, she had feigned ignorance of his. At least he thought she knew his name; after all, she had agreed to meet him in the Melville Room at the Plaza, even though she had bowed out of actually doing so.

Unless, he considered, Mario had made the whole thing up. But, he had tested her with a cryptic reference to her standing up gentlemen and she had not looked puzzled or offended, but rather came back with a witty retort. ‘No,’ he decided, ‘Mario hadn’t made the prospective meeting up’.

Barbara did indeed know who he was. Which meant that she was not a bad actress at all, perhaps even better than her fellow Minnesotan, Emily, whose acting talents hadn’t been sufficient to keep her out of Rose Callahan’s employ.

As for her father, he was clearly not impressed either by Stan’s personage or by the name that indicated his heritage. Stan had wanted to introduce himself by the name that he had registered at the hotel under, Gould, but Barbara had beaten him to the punch and given his true name. ‘What’s done is done,’ Stan thought.

He watched her walk down the aisle, obediently following her father. He had a fleeting vision of her naked, bent over the stool in Rose Callahan’s basement, like Emily had been. Shaking his head, he glanced down and noticed a lacy white cloth lying on his table that was definitely not part of the hotel’s breakfast linen.

He picked it up and pressed it to his nose for a moment, inhaling the soft scent. It was at that moment that Barbara reached the door to the dining room and turned to look back just for a moment. He waved the handkerchief at her, then, as she turned towards the exit, pocketed it.

***​

Stan stood near the rail at the track among the touts and hustlers. Behind him, under the roof of the grandstand, protected from sun and rain alike, were the society types. Stan kept one eye on the horses and the other on the stands, in case Barbara put in an appearance. There were many attractive ladies, decked out in flowered hats, chattering happily, drinking ice tea or lemonade, or perhaps something a bit stronger. None of them was Barbara Moore.

Stan bet only casually on the first six races, a dollar or so, just to keep his interest up. It was the seventh race that he was focused on. A trainer he knew well, whose words were usually worth listening to, had told him on his visit to the stables yesterday, to watch his horse, Eastern Prince, in the seventh.

The horse had never won a race in his entire life, finishing second only a few times. He started the pre-race betting at 15-1, but the odds flattened steadily, reaching 8-1 just before post time. Perhaps Stan’s trainer had mentioned something to a few others. Still, the payoff on his $ 20 bet would be quite acceptable.

Eastern Prince was in the pack that trailed the two leaders for most of the race. Stan was beginning to be concerned. But, as they rounded the final turn, suddenly Eastern Prince got a miraculous second wind just as the two leaders were flagging. He caught first one, and just a few lengths before the wire, caught the other as they lunged for the finish line.

As Stan stood at the betting window watching the teller carefully counting out his winnings, he could feel that many of the bettors milling about were looking daggers at him. He pocketed the cash, turned and smiled at them and headed for the exit, keeping a lookout for Barbara, but not really expecting to see her.

After dinner, at which Stan had not caught sight of the Moores, something unsurprising given the immense size of the dining room, Stan took a short walk to clear his head. He considered returning to Willow Walk and perhaps once again enjoying the skillful art of Susanna, but decided against it.

As he passed through the doors to the hotel, Stan heard the sound of waltz music drifting out of the ballroom. He knew that the famous Victor Herbert, possibly the greatest musical genius in America, was in residence at the Grand Union, and decided it might be worth investigating. Of course the possibility that Barbara might be there was tantalizing, but Stan’s parents had imbued him with enough love of music that he could enjoy the experience regardless.

Stan stopped at the bar beside the entrance and ordered a bourbon with ice, then took a place against the adjacent wall to enjoy the spectacle of the waltzing couples and the music that reminded him of the lands his ancestors had come from.

Then, suddenly, he saw her. She was dancing with a young man, perhaps a few years older than her, who was leading her reasonably competently through the steps. She was smiling and exchanging a few words with him as they danced.

Stan put his drink down on the bar table next to him and folded his arms, watching. Her back was towards him, but as the couple swung around in time with the music, he saw her looking straight at him and his heart fluttered.

The music was rising to the finale and Stan desperately wanted to approach them and ask if he could have the next dance. But on what pretext could he do so? Then he remembered. He reached into his pocket and felt it-the handkerchief from this morning.

He made his way through the couples and approached, theatrically extracting the cloth from his pocket. “Miss Moore, I believe you left this at my table this morning,” he said, presenting it to her.

She smiled graciously, accepting it. “Thank you, Mr. Goldman,” she replied. “I owe you a debt for your gallant conduct.”

Her date was staring at Stan, not with the hostility her father had shown, but with curiosity. “Ah, I am forgetting my manners,” Barbara continued. “Mr. Stan Goldman of New York, may I present Mr. Archibald Vandergrift, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.”

Stan reached out and shook Vandergrift’s hand. “Pleased to meet you. I hope you will be so generous as to allow Miss Moore to repay her debt by allowing me the next dance.”

“And what debt is that, Barbara?” Vandergrift asked. She briefly explained to him the incident that had taken place at breakfast. “Well, then, alright, one dance,” he allowed. “Would you like something from the bar, Barbara?”

“Thank you, I’m fine,” she replied, as he walked away.

“He seems like a nice young man,” Stan said.

“He is. Unlike some, I suspect he wouldn’t stand a young lady up.”

“Excuse me?” Stan said. “It was I who was left waiting in the Melville Room at the Plaza, and on a day when my wits and talents were much needed at the Stock Exchange.”

“But it was I who sat there on the 25th of May from 10:45 until almost noon, waiting for you.”

Stan looked at her. “Did you say the 25th?”

“Yes, that was what the letter that you were supposed to have received said.”

“Oh,” Stan replied, “I received the letter, alright. But it said the 26th. I am as certain of that as I am of the fact that Eastern Prince won the seventh race this afternoon.”

They looked at each other and both burst out laughing. “Oh that Mario Pellegrino is a sly one!” Barb exclaimed.

“Like a fox!” Stan concurred. The orchestra had begun playing again. He took her in his arms and began leading her around the dance floor. It felt good to hold her.

“Have you been to the track yet?” he asked her.

“No, but I would like to go. Father doesn’t really like gambling, though. He feels people should work for what they have.”

“Well, for me, the track is not gambling. Much like the Stock Exchange, though I think you would find it more interesting.”

“You could tell I was bored that day at the Exchange?”

“Yes, though I think I could make it more interesting for you if we get the chance again. But the track you would definitely enjoy. The horses are quite magnificent.”

“I had one back in Minnesota,” she said. “Sparky. I miss him.”

“Then perhaps you could convince your father to allow me to accompany you there.”

Barbara laughed. “I think the odds on that would be very long, Mr. Goldman.”

“I like long odds,” Stan replied.

“I suppose you do,” she replied.

“But I don’t suppose your father would like you dancing with me, either.”

“I’m sure he wouldn’t. Fortunately, he has retired early this evening.”

“Yes, but I think he is still watching.”

Barbara stopped for a moment. “Whatever do you mean?” she asked.

Stan twirled her so that was facing the wall with the bar. “Do you see that rather corpulent man in the rather unattractive suit standing against the wall with a drink in his hand?”

Barbara nodded. “He seems to be staring at us,” she said.

“He certainly is. I am fairly confident he is a house dick.”

“A what?” she replied, looking shocked.

“A hotel detective. Likely an ex-cop, possibly dismissed from the force for excessive drinking, by the look of him. Hired by this fine establishment to make sure that no immoral goings-on tarnish the good name of the Grand Union Hotel. And, given his attention to you, I suspect, generously remunerated above and beyond his meager salary by a certain Mr. James Moore.”

“Really?” Barbara said. “Perhaps we should go for a walk, then. It’s a lovely evening.”

“Indeed it is,” Stan said. “And the springs in Congress Park are most refreshing, but I see that our time together may be coming to an end, at least for now.” For, the music had stopped and Archibald Vandergrift was making his way across the dance floor to reclaim his date.

“Thank you very much for allowing me this dance,” Stan said, releasing Barbara form his arms. “I hope you will be more careful, Barbara. I can’t always be there to catch you.” Stan turned and headed up to his room.

Newport, Rhode Island was becoming the summer refuge of choice among the truly wealthy at the time of our story. Marble House had just been completed for Mr. and Mrs. William K Vanderbilt in 1892. It looks like a certain other house in Washington, DC, though the interior is much more lavish

Marble_House,_Newport_RI.jpgMarble_House_dining_room.jpg

A few years later, the even larger and more elaborate "Breakers" was built for another member of the Vanderbilt family. Why didn't the Moores go there? It's possible that a simple country lad like James J Moore might have felt a bit out of place amongst such aristocrats and would have felt more comfortable among the ordinary second-tier millionaires at Saratoga.

Victor Herbert was the leading conductor and composer in the United States in his day.

Victor_Herbert_cph.3a01932.jpg
He was born on the island of Guernsey and trained in Vienna and Stuttgart, before coming to the US in 1886 to join the Metropolitan Opera's orchestra as a cellist. He later led the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. He had his own orchestra, which played at the Grand Union Hotel as well as many other venues. He wrote serious classical music, light opera, and many works for Broadway theater. He was a founder of ASCAP, the organization that to this day protects the rights of songwriters to profit from their work.

Last edited:
Chapter 16

Seamus O’Neil was both an observant and a calculating man. Surveillance came naturally to him. There was little that escaped his attention. Looking after his own interests came equally naturally. They always said at the station house, back before he got himself booted off the scandal-ridden New York City police force, that Seamus O’Neill would sell his own mother for a drink if given half a chance.

Actually, being expelled from the force, however ignominiously. had turned out to be a blessing. Working at the Grand Union as a hotel dick had proven to be far more advantageous than walking a beat. The money wasn’t great, of course, but there was little danger. He had free access to drinks at the Hotel’s bars, gained special favors from every Madame in Saratoga Springs for directing business from the Hotel to their salons, and picked up extra cash by offering special private services to hotel guests, such as the five dollars he’d received from Mr. James Moore for keeping a watchful eye that night on the man’s young daughter and her beau in the Hotel ballroom.

It had begun as an easy and somewhat boring task. Nothing had seemed amiss. All he had to do was lean against a wall, free drink in hand, and watch some handsome rich prick propel Moore’s spoiled daughter around the dance floor. At least she was a looker … stunningly beautiful he thought as he mentally undressed her. Keeping watch over the young Miss Moore offered some compensation in itself.

But then something happened that caught his attention. A young man, curly-haired and pomaded, had appeared out of nowhere and cut in on the young dancing couple, whisking her away for a couple of dances. And she appeared to be enjoying it too … until her handsome rich prick boyfriend got up enough nerve to reclaim her.

None of that would have been all that notable had it not been for the fact that the interloper was quite obviously one of those friggin’ Jew boys. And everyone knew they were trouble.

O’Neill drained his glass of whiskey and snorted in disgust.

“Who the hell let him in here?” he muttered to himself under his breath.

One thing was certain, he mused. The daughter’s old man was going to get an ear full when he’s told who got his grimy hands on his daughter this evening. There’s sure to be a handsome tip when he learns of it, as well as possibly a need for further services. This promised to be quite lucrative.

Once Goldman had departed, Archie and Barb danced away the rest of the night. Victor Herbert and his 50-piece orchestra was a big attraction, and no one wanted to leave the Grand Union’s ballroom at the end of Herbert’s last set. They stood and applauded loudly and insistently until Herbert and his musicians returned for one last encore waltz, a spiritedly joyful rendition of Johann Strauss’ popular Blue Danube.

“I had a wonderful time this evening, Archie,” Barbara gushed as she left the ballroom on his arm. “It was truly the best evening I’ve had since father and I came out East.”

“I’m so happy to hear you say that, Barbara. It was the same for me. You have me totally enchanted. I’m so glad we met today.”

“Well, Archie. I suspect we will be seeing more of one another then?”

“I hope so. But I must confess, I was a bit shaken earlier when you agreed to dance with that fellow, Goldman.”

“Aww, you were jealous then, weren’t you?” she teased.

“To be truthful, I was. And to be perfectly honest, I don’t believe that you’ve entirely dismissed him. I couldn’t help noticing you looking after him when he left the ballroom. You know, Barbara, his intentions likely go far beyond returning your handkerchief. You’ve not seen the last of him, I’ll wager, and you do recognize, don’t you that he’s one of THOSE people.”

“Oh, stop it, Archie. Nothing of the sort. You do have an active imagination.”

“Of course. Forgive me.”

“Yes. I will. Now here we are, outside my suite. Father’s probably asleep and we appear to be alone here in the hallway. Perfect. You may kiss me goodnight.”

They embraced and kissed, perhaps a little too hard on his part, for she giggled part way through it.

Extricating herself from his embrace she let herself into the suite, closing the door behind her, but remaining near it, listening for his receding footsteps. Then she turned to check on her father. The snoring sounds emanating from his bedroom confirmed that he had not waited up for her and was fast asleep.

Quietly she let herself back out into the empty corridor. The coast was clear. No one in sight. Lifting her skirt, she scurried to the stairway at the corridor’s far end, and headed downstairs.

Emerging in the lobby, she made straight for the front desk, where the duty clerk looked up at her expectantly.

“Excuse me, but I need to get a message to a hotel guest, and I do not know the number of his room.”

“Yes, Miss. What is his name?

“It’s Goldman.”

“I’m very sorry, Miss, but I am not seeing anyone in our register with that name. Indeed, it would be rather unlikely, although not impossible these days, that anyone with that name might be a guest here. But we do have a guest with the surname ‘Gould’. Could that be him?”

“Uh, yes. It must be. Silly me. I’m terrible at names.”

“Room 424, Miss. Would you like me to call a bellhop to deliver the message for you?”

“No, that won’t be necessary. Now that I have his room number, I’ll deliver it myself.”

“You do know, Miss, that it is presently well past midnight. I suspect Mr. Gould may be sound asleep.”

“That’s alright. I’ll just slip it under his door.”

“As you wish, Miss.”

“Thank you, you’ve been most helpful and kind.”

“Yes, Miss.”

Turning on her heel, she marched off to the staircase.

A corpulent man in an ill-fitting suit, who had been sitting in a lobby chair pretending to be absorbed in a newspaper, tossed it aside, rose to his feet and followed after her.

She made her way up to the fourth floor, where she marched down the corridor until she found herself outside the door to Room 424. After hesitating for a moment, she reached out to rap softly on the door. When there was no response, she fidgeted, glanced nervously up and down the corridor a couple times, and then rapped again … this time more loudly and insistently.

She heard movement inside and then Goldman opened the door.

Without a word, she barged through, threw herself into his arms and planted a hard kiss on his lips … a kiss that lasted for well over a minute.

“What was that for?” Goldman sputtered, after they had disengaged.

“I wanted to know what it would feel like … whether I’d feel anything.”

“And did you?”

“Did you?”

“I asked you first?”

“That’s for me to know and for you to find out! And by the way, do you really sleep in that dreadful nightgown?”

“Should I take it off?”

“Not tonight, Mr. Goldman. I must be going.”

“Call me Stan.”

“Call me, Barb.”

“Wait, don’t leave yet.”

“I must. Goodnight Stan.”

And then she fled.

In the shadows at the other end of the corridor, Seamus O’Neill clucked his tongue and smiled.

A few minutes later, Barbara was back outside the door to her suite. She let herself in, listened for her father’s telltale snoring, then tiptoed off to her own bedroom, where she removed all her clothes and climbed in naked between the sheets.

Lying on her back, knees slightly raised and parted, she began to finger herself, slowly and deliberately to begin with, then more and more vigorously, imagining first Archie and then Stan rutting wildly away on top of her. She alternated them and their attentions to her needs in her mind as her excitement grew and grew … until she was about to come.

Stuffing a muffling handful of bedsheet in her mouth, she went suddenly rigid and screamed “yessss!”

The next morning, with Barbara sleeping in, James Moore breakfasted alone with his newspaper. He finished his plate of bacon, eggs and toast, took a final sip of his coffee, and was about to fold his newspaper and leave, when Seamus O’Neill plopped his considerable bulk down in the chair opposite.

“Good morning, Sir. Excuse the intrusion but I have news to report.”

“Yes, alright, O’Neill. I guess this is as good a time and place as any. Out with it.”

“Well, Sir. I kept watch over your daughter as requested last night.”

“Good.”

“And, there are a couple things that I observed that you ought to know about.”

“Such as …”

“There was this Jew boy … name is Goldman … who cut in on the dance floor and danced a couple waltzes with her … something about returning her lost hankie.”

“Yes. I know about Goldman. I’d rather, of course, that Barbara have nothing to do with him, but if all it was was a return of a handkerchief, I’m not concerned. I assume young Archibald Vandergrift handled the incident well?”

“In a manner of speaking, he did. It’s what happened afterwards that should concern you.”

“And what was that?”

“Well, Sir, sometime after Vandergrift said his farewells and left her at your suite, I observed her down in the lobby, asking the desk clerk for Goldman’s room number. Oh, and by the way he’s registered here under the name of Gould, rather than Goldman.”

“Hmmmmmm.”

“But then, Sir, get this! I followed her back upstairs. And it turned out she went straight to Goldman’s room on the fourth floor, knocked on the door and was let in. She was in there for several minutes, doing God knows what, before she came back out and went on up to your suite.”

“Alright, O’Neill. Good work. You’re correct in assuming it’s news I’d rather not hear, but hear it I must.”

“Yessir, that’s what I figured.”

“Alright, here’s what I want you to do … three things, in fact. First, I want a tail on Goldman. I need to know everything he does … whether he visits brothels, drinks too much, gambles, and so on … dirt on him of any kind is good … a complete dossier. Spare no expense. Hire some help if you need it.”

“Yessir.”

“Second, I want a 24 hour tail put on my daughter as well … discretely done, of course.”

“Yessir.”

“And finally, I’d like some items quietly delivered to my suite … a wooden horse of the kind used by carpenters, a coil of stout rope, something to cut lengths of it with, and a nice supple cane. Think you can manage that, without anyone knowing?”

“Yessir. Daughters like yours sometimes need a bit of discipline, eh?”

“That O’Neill is none of your business. Just do as I say, and be off with you.”

“Yessir.”

A note to chapter 16:

When the Victor Herbert Orchestra came out that night for an encore at the Grand Union Hotel Ballroom, the musicians struck up their rendition of “On the Blue Danube”, the ever popular waltz by the Austrian composer, Johann Strauss which debuted in 1866.

CB0385AD-A2D7-4FD2-AF3E-5B7DEE04D27B.jpeg

Waltzes were the most popular ballroom dances in America at the beginning of the 1890s, and Blue Danube was the best known and most popular. Ragtime, which would sweep the nation by the end of the decade, had yet to make a truly widespread impression.

In addition to ever popular waltz compositions, like Blue Danube, Herbert’s orchestra would also have served up some popular tunes. The biggest “hit” of 1892, and almost sure to have been on the program, was “After the Ball”, written in classic 3/4 waltz time by Charles K Harris. It is said to have been the most popular song of the decade. The sheet music to it sold over two million copies in 1892 alone, and some five million copies overall. And the theme of the song … about a broken heart, broken upon seeing one’s beloved dancing with and kissing a rival at the ball …may even have some resonance for the budding competition in our story between Stan and Archie for the affections of Barbara.

2C374A83-6A02-40AF-8F82-5E8F133375A4.jpeg

The second most popular hit of 1892, and another probable inclusion in the Herbert Orchestra’s performance, was “Daisy Bell” (A bicycle built for two), written by the British song writer, Harry Dacre. The song is said to have been inspired by Daisy Grenville, Countess of Warwick, one of the many mistresses of King Edward VII.

7C721394-758A-4F0D-B8C6-6D6B0177D96B.jpeg 17945271-B73E-4463-989E-A82101978850.jpeg

First, I want a tail on Goldman.
:smilie-devil:
“Second, I want a 24 hour tail put on my daughter as well
“And finally, I’d like some items quietly delivered to my suite … a wooden horse of the kind used by carpenters, a coil of stout rope, something to cut lengths of it with, and a nice supple cane.
Won't the tail get in the way?:smilie-devil::confused:

And the theme of the song … about a broken heart, broken upon seeing one’s beloved dancing with and kissing a rival at the ball …may even have some resonance for the budding competition in our story between Stan and Archie for the affections of Barbara.
Competition? I have competition?:eek:

Back
Top Bottom