Crucifixion: Humiliation or demonstration of strength?

Go to CruxDreams.com
D

Deleted member 40449

I would like to know your opinion towards this topic, as we all know, crucifixion were extremely painful, expositive, shameful, the convict placed naked, being held by nails on the cross, for a crowd to watch him slowly defy.

The suffering is undeniably huge, but isn't it somehow admirable? Watching a condemned man, facing his crime, carrying his patibulum, and enduring the crucifixion, even though, against his will, isn't for you guys an exhibit of strenght? Even pierced to the cross, body fully exposed, his crimes being shown on a sign, facing his condemnation, he is there, using all of his strength to survive and endure the crucifixion process.

My opinion is that, the crucifixion is painful, but not totally humiliating

Attachments

• 61A47F1B-7A83-4345-B841-DD3712D49796.jpeg
    61A47F1B-7A83-4345-B841-DD3712D49796.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 34D96316-6AD8-4975-A87B-D2D0EA5DCC62.jpeg
    34D96316-6AD8-4975-A87B-D2D0EA5DCC62.jpeg
    617 KB · Views: 189
You make a good point.
Personally I see crucifixion as humiliation
there naked body fully on display, their legs spread showing their genitals as they cry in agony.
Even as they are close to death they should be fisted or sexaully defiled.
They must die with tears running down their face.

To what extent can the crucified person choose to endure their punishment? If you're being crucified, there is nothing you can do about it - you're going to endure it, for a while - quite a while longer than you wish - and then you will die. I suppose in rare cases a man or woman might show some strength by not sobbing and screaming and begging, but it would be an even rarer case for whatever strength they manage to exhibit to be so expressive as to overpower the sense of pathetic helplessness inherent in their nakedness being displayed spreadeagle on a cross while they die. It's just hard to admire somebody that much when they're stuck hanging in an awkward position and you're looking at their genitals.

Human beings are designed to stand on their own feet. That's when they look like they're in control of themselves. Hanging from above robs them of control and of some dignity, especially when they're hanging in an obviously painful position. Being completely naked against their will while they hang compounds the degradation, especially when the position they're hanging in prevents them from covering themselves even a little bit. On top of that, probably 90% of crucified people screamed and sobbed and begged and peed on themselves and generally did not look strong.

I think it would depend upon the individual. Unless you are a nudist or naturist you would be ashamed and utterly humiliated to be crucified stark naked in a public setting. You would be stripped, not only of your clothing, but your dignity. Very few of us possess the ability to hold it together when hung and tied or nailed to a woodem cross, knowing that you will die and there's not one thing you can do to save yourself. Most of us would struggle and cry out and scream from the pain until we could no longer breath without extreme difficulty. It's human nature to fight for survival, but the positioning of the body and the inevitability of a lingering, painful death would seal the deal.

Show of strength by the executing side and humiliation by the executed side is not mutually exclusive, so both!.
Show of strength by the executed side? Who would really notice? Not the jeering crowd..
Is it a show of strength if you have no choice in the matter?

For a nudist or naturist a forced nudity displayed on a cross could also be quite humiliating, as they have no say in the matter.
It is forced nudity, designed for humiliation.
Even if he is not feeling humiliated, the crowd watching him/her on the cross would perceive it as such.

Even if there is a show of strenght felt by the executed, how long will it take before the agony of the cross will break your resolve?

In the end it will be all about humiliation of their dead naked body.
Their complete destruction as they are slowly eaten by crows. No dignity as they peck out their eyes and devour their genitals.
It would take a long time for their flesh to be completely eaten and all of this would be on display.
Their guts spilling on the ground as they are reduced to a nailed doll of blood and gore.
Finally all that's left is another skeleton to be cleaved from the cross and crushed underfoot.

I do not think, there would be lots of strength to be demonstrated by the crucified. At best, some moments of toughness, but you better would keep that for yourself. Shouting "Fuck you, all of you!" to the crowd, the crew or the magistrates, will hardly have any impact, apart from laughter and mockery, since all these are free and standing on their feet.
Perhaps in a group crucifixion, some momentary strenghth could be shown to each other, in the vain hope of encouraging each other, perhaps.
But overall, it is a show of humiliation and terror inflicted to the crucified, and that will prevail.

The suffering is undeniably huge, but isn't it somehow admirable? Watching a condemned man, facing his crime, carrying his patibulum, and enduring the crucifixion, even though, against his will, isn't for you guys an exhibit of strenght? Even pierced to the cross, body fully exposed, his crimes being shown on a sign, facing his condemnation, he is there, using all of his strength to survive and endure the crucifixion process.

I agree that there is room for this. Degrading though the experience is, some victims may fight to maintain their dignity, accept their fate and strive to present an image of stoic endurance. It would be an uphill battle, and I doubt that many in the crowd would see it as admirable, but some might. It would be hard, to hold things together to the end, with no real reward except perhaps self satisfaction, and the feeling that they had deprived their tormentors of something.

But how hard would it be, with sweat, sun, blood, flies, unending agony, and a jeering crowd?

We've often debated the question of 'humiliation' - what we might think of as humiliating is very much a product of our social and cultural upbringing, and has varied greatly through the ages and across the world. I honestly don't feel ashamed about being naked, if I was in a warmer climate I'd happily do without clothes. Any shame would be down to the symbolism of crucifixion - and of course the Christian message turned that on its head. For young women, martyrdom was the one opportunity to display their courage and ability to cope with pain in a very macho, patriarchal world. So, yes, I'd see at as a defiant demonstration of 'inner' strength.

For me it would mostly be a humiliating experience. I am hanging there completely naked, nothing is left to the imagination. The crowd jeers, and mocks me as I suffer. No one is admiring my strength. However, there is a sense in which strength is being demonstrated, by how long I endure before I ultimately die. But that will not be on my mind, my thoughts will lie solely on the pain and the fact that everyone can see me naked.

We've often debated the question of 'humiliation' - what we might think of as humiliating is very much a product of our social and cultural upbringing, and has varied greatly through the ages and across the world. I honestly don't feel ashamed about being naked, if I was in a warmer climate I'd happily do without clothes. Any shame would be down to the symbolism of crucifixion - and of course the Christian message turned that on its head. For young women, martyrdom was the one opportunity to display their courage and ability to cope with pain in a very macho, patriarchal world. So, yes, I'd see at as a defiant demonstration of 'inner' strength.
'Defiance is what I also have in mind about this topic. But it is mostly an inside attitude, which you can hardly carry to the onlookers. Best you can do is give them the show they came for, and switch oof your brain about the rest.

I think it's quite subjective, perhaps? Certainly the goal of the process is total disgrace - but the will and performance of the victim can defy that to some degree. But whether it comes off that way can also be in the eye of the beholder.

I think it's quite subjective, perhaps? Certainly the goal of the process is total disgrace - but the will and performance of the victim can defy that to some degree. But whether it comes off that way can also be in the eye of the beholder.
I am doing exactly that, what I can to defy the guards, but at the end of the day, you can't hang naked from the cross without being disgraced, even if I play up how some might be enjoying it.

We've often debated the question of 'humiliation' - what we might think of as humiliating is very much a product of our social and cultural upbringing, and has varied greatly through the ages and
that is exactly the point. I often point out, that even forced anal entries where considered as feminisation in the Roman culture, not in our culture. Nudity, was probably not a problem for them, as for the naturist today should be, but it was for the Jews, that is reported, because of the olympic sport events.
course the Christian message turned that on its head. For young women, martyrdom was the one opportunity to display their courage and ability to cope with pain in a very macho, patriarchal world. So, yes, I'd see at as a defiant demonstration of 'inner' strength.
I also think that was one of the main points of the christian narrative, which is however forgotten in our time.

Just a funny point. in a nudist society one would humiliate a crucified person by wearing a loincloth, or even worse a bathing suit when crucified.

Back
Top Bottom