Custer's Little Big Horn

Go to CruxDreams.com
View attachment 355213 And I suppose you are now going to tell me that signing the release without reading the fine print is a crucifiable offense?
Oh come now. Surely we can be a bit less entirely predictable :confused:, and still have a crucifixion. :devil:

No, I wouldn't do that! But if you had read the fine print you would have known you agreed to be crucified so the painting could be done...:doh:
See? That's quite good. A temporal loop thing.

Oh come now. Surely we can be a bit less entirely predictable :confused:, and still have a crucifixion. :devil:

See? That's quite good. A temporal loop thing.
View attachment 355213 And I suppose you are now going to tell me that signing the release without reading the fine print is a crucifiable offense?
A shameless cross-promotion but Jolly has a starring roll here and could Barb really have a successful rebellion????
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/scandals-resort.5176/page-24#post-241404

A shameless cross-promotion but Jolly has a starring roll here and could Barb really have a successful rebellion????
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/scandals-resort.5176/page-24#post-241404
No. Probably not, unless there was some dissent in the counterrevolutionary ranks, like rumors that destroyed people's confidence in Joan Tree's dedication to security of the compound, possibly that she took bribes to look the other way while the rebels moved into position, or maybe was in cahoots with Barb's sister after all to destroy the IMF, not that I'd do that, since I'm here in the wild west, about to be slaughtered by all the Indians in the world, and the Jolly in the other thread is entirely different and nothing to do with me here (although he's pretty upset by this talk about a maintenance fee, I can tell you). :devil::cool:

No. Probably not, unless there was some dissent in the counterrevolutionary ranks, like rumors that destroyed people's confidence in Joan Tree's dedication to security of the compound, possibly that she took bribes to look the other way while the rebels moved into position, or maybe was in cahoots with Barb's sister after all to destroy the IMF, not that I'd do that, since I'm here in the wild west, about to be slaughtered by all the Indians in the world, and the Jolly in the other thread is entirely different and nothing to do with me here (although he's pretty upset by this talk about a maintenance fee, I can tell you). :devil::cool:

Stop fussing about threads and holes in your boots, and get Custer moving.... we captives are due at Little Big Horn tomorrow! Time is short!

Stop fussing about threads and holes in your boots, and get Custer moving.... we captives are due at Little Big Horn tomorrow! Time is short!
Yeah. He's got the bugler doing the calling to arms and riding out song (what do they call that one?). Pretty inspiring stuff it is too. We are riding out now.
I mentioned you three lovely ladies. Custer even brushed his hair and trimmed his moustache. Said he remembered you.
That's a good sign, right?

Yeah. He's got the bugler doing the calling to arms and riding out song (what do they call that one?). Pretty inspiring stuff it is too. We are riding out now.
I mentioned you three lovely ladies. Custer even brushed his hair and trimmed his moustache. Said he remembered you.

army-horses-mules_lastcav_01_700.jpg At last... thought it would never happen :p

This happens to Barb all to often... I'm glad I didn't sell her life insurance...
Somehow I suspect Jolly is taking the rear flank..

Somehow I suspect Jolly is taking the rear flank..
Slander.:mad: I didn't even have a horse until a moment ago. :rolleyes::doh:

(Barb, if you recall, wrote my horse back to the Sioux camp. Then I run to the fort, in Indian country, and all I get is ridiculed for not knowing where North is. We're on the way with the cavalry and it's all "I thought this would never happen". Call that a vote of confidence, 'cos I don't.)

I don't get no respect.:confused::D

Slander.:mad: I didn't even have a horse until a moment ago. :rolleyes::doh:

(Barb, if you recall, wrote my horse back to the Sioux camp. Then I run to the fort, in Indian country, and all I get is ridiculed for not knowing where North is. We're on the way with the cavalry and it's all "I thought this would never happen". Call that a vote of confidence, 'cos I don't.)

I don't get no respect.:confused::D
Sorry about the lack of respect but no one made you join Crux Forums... Good night all

T

May, 15th 1876.
Washington D.C., the White House, the Oval Office.
President Ulysses S. Grant held two telegrams in his hands.

One was from Fort Lincoln, North Dakota. It made mention of a certain Sir Wragg, a subject of Her Majesty Queen Victoria of England. The man was said to be captured by Sioux and Comanche Indians, together with a few ladies. It was feared their lives were in danger.

A foreigner! Why would Grant bother? Why risking the lives of cavalry men to rescue some... greenhorn, probably some impoverished nobleman out for gold in the Black Hills. A tenderfoot, no doubt, who had lured himself into the hands of indians, together with some ladies he probably had tried to impress by the pretentions of a futile noble title.

Not worth to spend a single bullet. Bad luck, Sir Wragg!

But, on the other hand,... The other cable message had come from the Transatlantic, from London. A great invention! It was a request to arrest and extradite an Englishman, for lèse-majesté. Apparently the man had insulted Queen Victoria somehow.
Grant was not impressed. Kings and queens were something from the Old World. Sometimes, no, often, they made a ridicule of themselves, by sticking to old fashioned pomp and circumstance. Why bother about some subject of that old fashioned bat Victoria for telling a joke of her. But there were two intriguing things about the cable from London.

First of all, it was signed by a certain Margaret Thatcher. A woman, who pretended to be the English PM. Strange! According to the Department of the State, the PM of England was a certain Benjamin Disraeli. Grant had pity with the English if that Mrs. Thatcher would be in charge. Imagine : the head of state is the woman, the PM is woman! That cannot end up good! Probably, that cable from the transatlantic was a joke. A good joke! But strange enough, the name of the subject the request for arrest and extradition applied to, was a certain Sir Wragg. The same from Fort Lincoln?

Grant considered.
He had nothing to lose! It was the last year of his term, and he had already announced months ago not to go for another one!
Suddenly he saw an opportunity.
Custer! Wasn't he at Fort Lincoln?
Custer, that smuggy intriguer!
Custer! He would go after that Sir Wragg!
Straight into the most dangerous indian territory.
Custer would not hesitate! Grant knew he was eager for a victory. Grant knew why! Custer was eager to take his place! Custer was eager to fight the indian wars...from the Oval Office.

Grant knew he risked to sacrifice a few fine cavalry squadrons by sending them into harms way. But that is how he Unconditional Surrender Grant had won the Civil War after all!? Victory has its price!

If Custer will succeed, then it will be President Grant's victory. A final highlight of a term troubled by scandals and economic crisis!
If Custer fails, then it will be Custer's failure!

A telegram to Fort Lincoln was made up.
"General Custer will go after Sir Wragg!"
Ohhhh Yipes! :eek:

I am going to be in such trouble when her indoors hears about this! :oops:

All this hoo hah and it's my fault! :eek:

Great post, Loxuru! :beer:

OMG ... this is so clever too ... You and Tree ... I love you guys and the things you come up with ... so funny :p

Ohhhh Yipes! :eek:

I am going to be in such trouble when her indoors hears about this! :oops:

All this hoo hah and it's my fault! :eek:

Great post, Loxuru! :beer:

Thanks for the appreciation. Actually, apart from the time travelling Mrs. Thatcher (she was coincidently in London that year for visiting the painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti:D), I took my inspiration from the very troubled relationship between Grant and Custer, the months before the battle of Little Big Horn.

As reads Wikipedia:

"The expedition against the Sioux was originally scheduled to leave Fort Abraham Lincoln on April 6, 1876, but on March 15 Custer was summoned to Washington to testify at Congressional hearings. These concerned the corruption scandal involving U.S. Secretary of War William W. Belknap (who had resigned March 2), President Grant's brother Orville, and traders at Army posts in Indian Country, who were charging troops double what they would have paid for the same goods in Bismarck, North Dakota. Soldiers were required by regulations to purchase goods from the traders. Belknap had been selling trading post positions.[35] After Custer testified on March 29 and April 4 before the Clymer Committee, Belknap was impeached and sent to the Senate for trial. Custer left Washington on April 20, but instead of immediately returning to Fort Lincoln, he visited the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia and planned to travel to New York to meet with publishers.[citation needed]

Custer's testimony was a sensation because of what he said and because he was the one saying it. Custer was sharply criticized by the Republican press and praised by Democratic editors.[36] President Grant held up Custer's departure from Washington. Grant and Custer did not get along. Earlier Custer had arrested Grant's son, Fred Grant, for drunkenness. Now Custer was accusing Grant's brother and Secretary of War of corruption. Custer was writing magazine articles criticizing Grant's peace policy towards the Indians. Brigadier General Alfred Terry determined there were no available officers of rank to take command, but Sherman refused to intercede. Stunned that he would not be in command, Custer approached the impeachment managers and secured his release. General Sherman advised Custer not to leave Washington before meeting personally with President Grant. Three times Custer requested meetings with Grant, but was always turned down. Custer gave up and took a train to Chicago on May 2, planning to rejoin his regiment.[37] On May 3, a member of Sheridan's staff greeted Custer in Chicago. President Grant had ordered Custer's arrest for leaving Washington without permission. President Grant had designated General Terry to command the expedition in Custer's place. Custer took a train to St. Paul to meet General Terry.[36]

Brigadier General Terry met Custer in Fort Snelling, Minnesota on May 6. He later recalled, "(Custer) with tears in his eyes, begged for my aid. How could I resist it?"[citation needed] Terry wrote to Grant attesting to the advantages of Custer's leading the expedition. Sheridan endorsed his effort, accepting Custer's "guilt" and suggesting his restraint in future. Grant was already under pressure for his treatment of Custer. His administration worried that if the "Sioux campaign" failed without Custer, Grant would be blamed for ignoring the recommendations of senior Army officers. On May 8, Custer was informed at Fort Snelling that he was to lead the 7th Cavalry, but under Terry's direct supervision.

Before leaving Fort Snelling, Custer spoke to General Terry's chief engineer, Captain Ludlow, saying he would "cut loose" from Terry and operate independently from him. Custer presented Bloody Knife, his Arikara ("Ree") scout, with several gifts. Custer told Bloody Knife and some Arikara scouts that this would be his last Indian campaign. Custer further stated that if the scouts helped him win a victory, he would become president and look after the Arikaras from the White House.[38] Some doubt has been cast however on this story of Custer telling the Arikaras that he would become president.[39"

Back
Top Bottom