German and Austrian Culture and Words ( to run away but also having fun with it before )

Go to CruxDreams.com
"The Pirettes of (what Formerly was) Ocracoke"...

So God is retired, like Stan Goldman? But after all those billions of years, he has a much better pension.

Of course, the Indian Ocean tsunami caused the worst damage in Aceh, the least tolerant region of Indonesia...

Although you do not seem to take it very seriously, you seem to have a lot of interesting ideas for moral and supernatural explanations of catastrophes which could have made the Bishop of Carlisle happy, quoted by "montycrusto".

Oh, maybe, I just found by accident a funny moral reason for the regular flooding of Ocracoke? The Ocracoke Orgy? :

On the other hand, in the most famous European earthquake of Lisbon in 1755, only and exactly the city hill with the red-light-district was spared almost unaffected by the earthquake and the following tsunami and almost all the "worst moral elements" of women and men in this city survived, whereas almost all the people in the churches were killed on this morning of the "All-Saints-Day" in 1755.

The problem is that I am very interested in historical catastrophes and it is human nature to search for explanations, which is also a reason for the development of science.
But every explanation which is not founded on scientific basis and which is not proven by scientists is also a kind of religion.
Since I was a child, I would like sooo much to believe in a reason for everything that happens on Earth; I would like so much to believe in a loving God but this is religion and not science.

But there is something which really is terrible in most of such catastrophes and you can hear this story always and everywhere again, no matter if it is a disaster by water or fire or a tornado or something else:

In these most affected places in Germany, there are often smaller villages with homes of older people who had families living there sometimes for centuries.
They were often working in their lifetime in near cities because there were not so good jobs in such villages, but these villages were the roots of their families.
So, there are many older couples who raised their children, spared money and invested all their money in very beautiful houses which they saw as their "nest" for themselves and for their children after the parents would die. Some of these older couples told German journalists:
"We had created our personal paradise and we have put all our money which we earned in our lifes into our house, our beautiful garden, for us and our children. We owned this house for more than 100 years and now, in only a few hours, everything is lost and we own less than 50 or even 100 years before!"

And this is really, really hard, I think:

When you are simply too old to restart again and you have to witness the loss of everything you have ever worked for ... everything destroyed within a few hours what you and your parents and even grandparents have ever worked for. And sometimes, the only things which are left for you after such a horrible night, are your naked lifes and the few clothes you are wearing.

I would need a psychiatrist for a long time in such a case, I think.

On the other hand, in the most famous European earthquake of Lisbon in 1755, only and exactly the city hill with the red-light-district was spared almost unaffected by the earthquake and the following tsunami and almost all the "worst moral elements" of women and men in this city survived, whereas almost all the people in the churches were killed on this morning of the "All-Saints-Day" in 1755.
And Hurricane Katrina left the French Quarter of New Orleans, home of drunken debauchery and revelry, virtually untouched, while flooding many other parts of the city with well over 1,000 deaths. So the moral is: when disaster threatens, head for your local red light district.

Oh, maybe, I just found by accident a funny moral reason for the regular flooding of Ocracoke? The Ocracoke Orgy? :

Yes, where would they get all those women? Unless there were female pirates they could party with. Could that be possible?

The problem is that I am very interested in historical catastrophes and it is human nature to search for explanations, which is also a reason for the development of science.
But every explanation which is not founded on scientific basis and which is not proven by scientists is also a kind of religion.
Since I was a child, I would like sooo much to believe in a reason for everything that happens on Earth; I would like so much to believe in a loving God but this is religion and not science.
Though we may now have reached the point where there is an explanation for the cascading disaster upon disaster (at least in the case of flooding and wildfires) and someone to blame. In the words of the famous "Pogo" cartoon-"we have met the enemy, and he is us."

Some more pictures showing the power of water; additional an interactive German internet page on which one can compare similar pictures before and after the flooding:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.20_08h26m58s_002_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2021.07.20_08h28m20s_003_.jpg

... and I would not have liked to stand on this dam in order to control the density:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.19_22h42m00s_001_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2021.07.17_22h05m55s_002_.jpg

... and a few good news: No victims were found on the B 265, the drivers really all escaped up to the hills although this street was flooded within 10 minutes:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.17_22h18m52s_012_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2021.07.17_22h17m41s_011_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2021.07.17_22h11m38s_008_.jpg

Last edited:
Well, let us hope that the really important governments around the world will finally regard all these catastrophes of the recent times in last years as a "wake-up-call" before it is too late to change something.

We all can only hope the best but I - as being the "pessimist-smart-ass" for most of my friends - I am usually expecting the worst, but I also know that there can sometimes really happen miracles and this especially in catastrophes.

Around the time when I was born, there happened one real miracle in Germany and my parents sometimes told me about that miracle with their lessons for me that "your game on this Earth is only really over when you are really dead" and "human beings do not really die easily".

It was the so-called "das Wunder von Lengede" (= "The Miracle of Lengede") and seen from our time back to the time of 1963, it still must be regarded as a miracle, because 11 miners survived for 14 days in a "cave room" after water flooded their mine. Most people did not believe that they might still be alive and the money for their official funeral cermony was already paid out by the company.

The very final "Rettungsbohrung" (= "save-attempt-drilling") was accompanied by incredible coincidences - they received just in time the very best and latest drilling machines of those years, latest compressed air devices and the leading engineer for this last "search drilling" took in principle an absolutely wrong place for drilling by holding the map of the mine in a wrong 90 degrees angle but he hit exactly the right place to drill - it was all really and absolutely incredible, my parents told me!

It was this story which can always be used to cheer all of us up:

In English:

In German:

Last edited:
Now we have extremely severe flooding in China, drowning people in the subway

Here, in the eastern US and Canada, the sky was extremely hazy yesterday with air quality warnings for New York, Philadelphia, Toronto and in between due to smoke from hundreds of fires burning in northwestern Ontario and Manitoba, close to 2000 km away. Today is better, not because the fires are out (they are actually worse), but because the winds have shifted. And the rains last night (the month is around the wettest July on record) may have washed the particles down.

Maybe, our problem will be our high standard of living and that we are so used to it. Only 170 years ago, around 1850, there were no bigger machines than steam engines in locomotives, few of them in ships, no internal combustion engines, no cars, no airplanes to travel fast into other countries - only relatively few factories which polluted the air.
But the human population was already significantly growing because of the progress in European medicine.

Since then in 1850, probably billions of such machines were built, hundred thousands of factories, the human population on Earth exploded in an exponential growth and up to now, all of our machines are burning something and develop warmth or heat to the outside and there is probably no human on Earth who does not even dream of using one of such machines for his or her advanced mobility.

It is impossible to go back to 1850 and it is impossible to go on like we did during the last 170 years. The next 170 years will probably become the hardest for mankind.

It is a bit funny that I read only some weeks ago some scientific findings made by drilling ice cores from Greenland and from the Mont Blanc.
These ice cores were from everlasting ice layers and the scientists were able to probe in which times during the last 3.000 years there were signs of pollution.
Not very surprising that during the time of the Roman Empire, there were high pollution concentrations of lead, antimon and pollution by smoke because of the usage of lead in Roman water pipes and because of the burning of wood by millions of inhabitants of the Roman Empire and its growing population.
Around the same time, some of the pollution was also caused by some of the first Chinese Empires.
The combined pollution of the Roman and the first Chinese Empires was only reached again in modern times around ... funny, isn't it ... around 1850 !

When the Middle Ages began, the pollution decreased and during the time of the plague / pestilence around 1350, the pollution decreased to almost zero in Europe because the European population decreased in such terrible numbers.

When we are successful to decrease our pollution of / on this planet, it would be for the first time in human history that a developped human civilisation could do this by a reasonable and sensible behaviour - and this makes me "a bit" pessimistic, because it is like this dialogue from the movie "The Prince's Bride":

- "Maybe, we will not survive this!"

- "Oh, come on! You are much too pessimistic! You are only saying this because no one before us survived this!"

Maybe, our problem will be our high standard of living and that we are so used to it. Only 170 years ago, around 1850, there were no bigger machines than steam engines in locomotives, few of them in ships, no internal combustion engines, no cars, no airplanes to travel fast into other countries - only relatively few factories which polluted the air.
But the human population was already significantly growing because of the progress in European medicine.

Since then in 1850, probably billions of such machines were built, hundred thousands of factories, the human population on Earth exploded in an exponential growth and up to now, all of our machines are burning something and develop warmth or heat to the outside and there is probably no human on Earth who does not even dream of using one of such machines for his or her advanced mobility.

It is impossible to go back to 1850 and it is impossible to go on like we did during the last 170 years. The next 170 years will probably become the hardest for mankind.

It is a bit funny that I read only some weeks ago some scientific findings made by drilling ice cores from Greenland and from the Mont Blanc.
These ice cores were from everlasting ice layers and the scientists were able to probe in which times during the last 3.000 years there were signs of pollution.
Not very surprising that during the time of the Roman Empire, there were high pollution concentrations of lead, antimon and pollution by smoke because of the usage of lead in Roman water pipes and because of the burning of wood by millions of inhabitants of the Roman Empire and its growing population.
Around the same time, some of the pollution was also caused by some of the first Chinese Empires.
The combined pollution of the Roman and the first Chinese Empires was only reached again in modern times around ... funny, isn't it ... around 1850 !

When the Middle Ages began, the pollution decreased and during the time of the plague / pestilence around 1350, the pollution decreased to almost zero in Europe because the European population decreased in such terrible numbers.

When we are successful to decrease our pollution of / on this planet, it would be for the first time in human history that a developped human civilisation could do this by a reasonable and sensible behaviour - and this makes me "a bit" pessimistic, because it is like this dialogue from the movie "The Prince's Bride":

- "Maybe, we will not survive this!"

- "Oh, come on! You are much too pessimistic! You are only saying this because no one before us survived this!"

I have read a story about a Flemish town, where, during the Middle Ages, was a convent where the nuns had a relative high incidence of diseases, we would now identify as 'cancer'.
It seems to have been investigated, and it turned out that the convent's water well was located downstream of the streets where polluting crafts such as tanneries were located. They hence got elevated levels of heavy metals in their drinking water. Even today, traces of that pollution were found in the soil and the groundwater.

By the way, some German disaster areas are really looking like a "two-front-war-zone" with the unusual special German military tanks and soldiers in it - which we usually never see in public life and in uniforms in Germany - and tents for rapid vaccinations against Covid-19 for persons who were not vaccinated until now because they were too young.
But when you are cleaning up a disaster zone, you certainly cannot always stay away 1,5 meters from your helpers.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.22_08h39m55s_001_.jpg

Moreover, most Germans cannot believe how Covid-19 and its so-called "Delta-Variant" or "Delta-Mutation" is on the rise again in some countries.

Certainly, we are in summer and there are not so much people dying from it but no one likes to be a victim of the so-called "Long-Covid-Symptoms" like everlasting "fatigue" or "balance disorders".

So, I really cannot understand why there were so many restrictions lifted again some weeks ago in the Netherlands or now in Great Britain before the vaccination campaigns for the population have ended.
The Netherlands re-introduced again many restrictions after Covid-19 cases exploded again.

The more people who are infected with the "Delta-Variant", the more new mutations are possible and in Germany, the scientists are already warning, we will have a new lockdown in winter 2021/ 2022 when this virus and its mutations is again not taken as serious as it simply is.

In the meantime, I could really become angry when I see some guests - still some from Germany, but also often many again from abroad - entering "my" hotel, having no confirmed negative test as required and no vaccination confirmation - but asking at the reception again if we have a room for them ("I am just trying to get a room in your hotel after a long funny party!") and sometimes even why they should wear masks inside the hotel.

AAARGH! WHERE ARE THEY LIVING? WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM? Drunk from a party?

Do they believe, we all in this hotel are wearing masks because we look much more beautiful with masks in our faces?

I am really a friendly man but the day will come, when I can no more keep myself from asking such people these questions:

"Are you living in a deep, dark valley without TV, radio, newspapers under a stone in your personal stone age? Never heard of Corona or Covid-19 before? Did you sleep for the last 2 years? NO, WE HAVE NO ROOMS FOR IDIOTS BECAUSE YOU JUST FAILED EVERY COVID-19-INTELLIGENCE-TEST!"
:doh:

The medieval mind is alive and well!

Oh yes! I just read in the German version of "EuroNews" a report from the "Bible Belt" of the Netherlands:

We have some religious fanatics in Germany as well but they do not feel so strong as in some other countries, for example in a picture like this one from a butcher's shop in Urk, Netherlands.
This would most probably not be possible at the moment in Germany, because the German police would close such a shop by order of the federal state, when no customer is asked to wear a mask there:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.23_14h13m07s_001_.jpg

And the reason for refusing masks is that the customers here are all extremely religious protestants (!) who think that we are all creatures of God and all diseases are expressions of the will of God and you should never do something against the will of God!
Additionally, some of them are using extremely absurd claims that the Covid-19-vaccinations were produced for the first time by using dead human fetuses for fabricating the vaccine, or even worse, they were possibly killed for producing the vaccine!
And religiously caught in their own Middle Ages, they would newer take a vaccine for which possibly unborn babies had to die.
:doh::eeek: (AAARGH!)

So, they do not take part in any vaccinations and they will never wear masks! Moreover, they were becoming aggressive when Dutch reporters were making news of them, comparing those reporters with the Nazi-SS:

1.jpg2a.jpg1.jpg2a.jpg etc., etc.

Sooner or later, they will possibly find a nice place in a hospital's station for intensive care or on a nice big cemetery and hopefully, they will be dying in a glad and happy mood because they never did something against the will of God!

Sometimes, I really think that such fanatic people - no matter if they are religious, political or other fanatics - everywhere in this world now should pay for all possible costs for their treatment by their own money, property and inheritance when they become ill.

Last edited:
The situation in parts of Belgium is very similar. A man in this report about the region around Lüttich / Liège / Lîdje / Luik shows a part of the city where five houses simply disappeared during the night of the catastrophe and no one knows if or how many persons died there:
In Belgium, the question is now rising whether the sudden floods have something to do with mismanagement of the discharge valves in two big dams upstream of the devastated area. It is now claimed that despite early warnings, the valves were kept closed until pressure had become too large, and then, too much was dicharged at once.
The minister responsible for the dams, denies, but the minister is from a 'green' party and now suspected of both protecting her services and being more eager to blame climate change (for obvious political reasons), than human error.

I am afraid, the political discussions in all affected countries about responsabilities and who had done nothing in spite of warnings etc. will soon be long and hard and very ugly.
I cannot judge anything about the situation in Belgium, but as I said before about our situation in Germany, there were enough warnings by meteorologists and by some state authorities who & which are responsible for the whole state, for example our "Bundesamt für Bevölkerungsschutz und Katastrophenhilfe" (= "Federal Office for the Protection of the Population and National Aid in Cases of Catastrophes").

Most Germans never heard before of this Federal Office "BBK" because we simply had not such catastrophes:

One of the directors there, Armin Schuster, was often interviewed during the last days ...

and he said his authority warned lower administrations in the federal hierarchy exactly as it was planned, but he will not critizice anyone publicly, because the local authorities had the same problems as most of the Germans probably had and many mayors may have thought: "OK, it will rain again a lot but we cannot exactly predict where and how much it will rain. Shall we warn the population by additional loudspeaker announcements of police and firefighters like it is the case when there is a bomb found from WW II? And who will pay possible compensations when some get into panic and nothing happens? Let us better wait and see how much it will rain."

And then, it rained in some places in a few hours so much like in two months before. In some German cities, the mayors decided to start the sirens with the sound for catastrophes in the middle of the night which did not happen in Germany since the storm flooding of Hamburg in 1962 as far as I know - but it saved lifes.
But this shows how unexpected this rain was in spite of the warnings which were in time and correct - in principle, but we Europeans are simply no more used to such catastrophes, I think.
We did not have real catastrophes in the center of Europe for decades until the weather started to become "unusual" about 20 years ago (very hot summers, sudden floodings in a smaller size, no real difference any more between spring and summer etc.).

As a result of this catastrophe, Germany will again build up for at least 80 million Euros a new system of siren warnings with regular exercises and trainings like in "good old times" (of WW II and the Cold War until 1989 with two different 'Germanys') because the German mobile phone nets were often also damaged by the floods which destroyed the broadcast towers or the fiber optic cables in the ground and astonishingly few German people still own a radio or a TV set which could work on batteries. So, when the electricity was suddenly gone, most Germans really felt in the affected regions like thrown back into the Middle Ages without knowing how to get news or any information from outside their village at all. Power outages are rarities in Germany because there are usually lots of substitute and emergency systems - the last one I witnessed in my "far West of Germany" was about 25 years ago - and maybe, sometimes it is not so good to be too perfect and being used to everything working and functioning almost perfect.

So, this flooding was really a very bad surprise for Germany and it hit us very unexpected but maybe, it is a useful "wake-up-call" for the preparation for the dangers of the future.

The place where I live, had almost every year, mostly in winter, a problem with flooding. Not severe, and for me, never a danger. Emergency services were called up using sirens installed on the water or church towers. About 40 years ago, someone decided to call up the emergency services by a semaphone system, a beeper carried by the indiviual members of the service. So, the population was no longer warned by the sirens. I never found this a good idea.

The weather and especially "the rain" - if we will not call it soon "the waterfall" - in Europe is now almost everywhere "a bit weird".

Today in Germany around the city of Trier and in neighbouring Luxembourg, the rain was almost as usual if there would not have been rain in the morning, hot sunshine at "high noon", then rain and again hot sunshine and rain in the evening again - all within 10 hours.

But in Belgium it rained again so much that some more cars were swept away ...

... and just to show what rain in our days can mean, someone in heaven obviously sent some special clouds today even to London so that most Europeans will know now how to get very, very wet in a short time:

This is no more the usual European standard rain - it is more like standing near or under the Niagara Falls.
In the future, when I will go on holiday, I will probably take a diving equipment and some oxygen cylinders with me - could be useful in the coming "European summers", I think.

Last edited:
After so many catastrophes, it is time to relax a bit and I found two interesting newspaper articles about a relatively interesting kind of modern art - or better:
interesting ways of becoming more famous than ever before with something that most probably does not really exist at all.

The artist - Mr. Salvatore Garau - himself asks in the meantime why there is now so "much ado about (almost) nothing" when he created an "invisible" sculpture of which most people believe it does not exist whereas so many people believe in the existence of God who was not seen by most probably most living human beings either.

An interesting and indeed almost philosophical question.

I am a bit admiring such artists who seem to have had famous "artistical predecessors" like Till Eulenspiegel ...

or ...

In any case, Mr. Salvatore Garau from Sardinia made some interesting articles possible like these two ones:

From the German article, I have learned that his sculpture is not really "invisible".
It is only "not visible for the human eyes" which is a remarkable difference, according to the artist himself.

He was surprised by the worldwide "shitstorm" which was coming over him like a flash flooding because it was not him who sold the "not visible" sculpture, but one of his admirers and collectors. He did not earn anything but international interest.

I found it a bit more surprising that two other artists - independent of each other and from different continents - are now threatening to sue him by legal prosecution because they claim to have invented and created a very similar, if not almost identical looking "invisible sculpture" before him and so, he was most probably infringing their copyright.

One of these two artists was in the meantime in a telephone call with him and Salvatore Garau was successful in explaining that the creation of invisible art is a much older concept than the one angry artist was claiming at first, e.g. this artist from the Middle Ages: Till Eulenspiegel and so many others.

The other artist still seems to claim that he was the first one with a very similar "invisible sculpture" like the one of Mr. Salvatore Garau and I will find the idea very interesting that a legal court somewhere in this world might be able to decide which "invisible sculpture" was the very first one and which other sculptures of this kind infringed the copyright of the artistic genius who created the first one.

1.jpg2a.jpg et cetera, et cetera ...

Last edited:
Hmmm, from that article, "the only tangible item the buyer will receive is a certificate of authentication that is both signed and stamped by Garau."

that's very old fashioned, the way to do this nowadays is by NFT! And this is supposed to be 'modern' art!?! When art is defined only by the question of whether you can find a greater fool to buy it from the person who owned it before, at least use the most up to date sales platform!

Garau displayed another immaterial sculpture titled, “Buddha in Contemplation,” in the Piazza della Scala in Milan, near the entrance to the Gallerie d’Italia. Garau posted a video of the “statue” to his Instagram page.

Okay this scene
Screenshot 2021-07-27 02.28.57.jpg

reminds me of the move, "The Square", and that is probably not a coincidence...

Mhm, I just had the imagination that the famous "monster" in the Loch Ness in Scotland could also be based on a similar concept as "an invisible kind of art".

As far as I know, the official statement of the Scottish government always was that there is no hard evidence of "Nessie's existence" and all interested tourists are friendly invited to look for Nessie if they want. During the last decades, many, many tourists also from Germany came to Scotland and after visiting the views & sights of touristic interest in Edinburgh, Glasgow and the beautiful Scottish landscape, they certainly also visited Loch Ness, did not see 'Nessie' there as usual, drove happily home again and told their friends: "Yes, we have certainly looked for 'Nessie', but we did not see her or 'it'."

In my opinion, this concept of attracting tourists by something which most probably does not exist and inviting tourists from all over the world to convince themselves that it really does most probably not exist ... this is probably the work of a Scottish genius and it is simply priceless ... mhm ... but could also have been invented by the "Holy Spirit" himself.

Back
Top Bottom