Girls With Swords!, For Erin

Go to CruxDreams.com

Tipu Sultan (Sultan Fateh Ali Sahab Tipu) of Mysore employed executioners where one of the forms of execution was to drive a nail into the victim's skull. And he was in power until 1799 CE.

Also as the Roman's conquered parts of what they called "Germania" the found the skulls of men nailed to trees in the pagan's sacred groves. Whether or not the victim was beheaded and the head subsequently mounted on the tree or the living victim was nailed by the head to the tree and then the rest of the body removed at an appropriate time has never been determined.

kisses

willowfall

Not a sword, exactly, but a tent peg (from Judges chapter 4):

4 Now Deborah, a prophet, the wife of Lappidoth, was leading Israel at that time. 5 She held court under the Palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim, and the Israelites went up to her to have their disputes decided. 6 She sent for Barak son of Abinoam from Kedesh in Naphtali and said to him, “The Lord, the God of Israel, commands you: ‘Go, take with you ten thousand men of Naphtali and Zebulun and lead them up to Mount Tabor. 7 I will lead Sisera, the commander of Jabin’s army, with his chariots and his troops to the Kishon River and give him into your hands.’”

8 Barak said to her, “If you go with me, I will go; but if you don’t go with me, I won’t go.”

9 “Certainly I will go with you,” said Deborah. “But because of the course you are taking, the honor will not be yours, for the Lord will deliver Sisera into the hands of a woman.” So Deborah went with Barak to Kedesh. 10 There Barak summoned Zebulun and Naphtali, and ten thousand men went up under his command. Deborah also went up with him.

11 Now Heber the Kenite had left the other Kenites, the descendants of Hobab, Moses’ brother-in-law, and pitched his tent by the great tree in Zaanannim near Kedesh.

12 When they told Sisera that Barak son of Abinoam had gone up to Mount Tabor, 13 Sisera summoned from Harosheth Haggoyim to the Kishon River all his men and his nine hundred chariots fitted with iron.

14 Then Deborah said to Barak, “Go! This is the day the Lord has given Sisera into your hands. Has not the Lord gone ahead of you?” So Barak went down Mount Tabor, with ten thousand men following him. 15 At Barak’s advance, the Lord routed Sisera and all his chariots and army by the sword, and Sisera got down from his chariot and fled on foot.

16 Barak pursued the chariots and army as far as Harosheth Haggoyim, and all Sisera’s troops fell by the sword; not a man was left. 17 Sisera, meanwhile, fled on foot to the tent of Jael, the wife of Heber the Kenite, because there was an alliance between Jabin king of Hazor and the family of Heber the Kenite.

18 Jael went out to meet Sisera and said to him, “Come, my lord, come right in. Don’t be afraid.” So he entered her tent, and she covered him with a blanket.

19 “I’m thirsty,” he said. “Please give me some water.” She opened a skin of milk, gave him a drink, and covered him up.

20 “Stand in the doorway of the tent,” he told her. “If someone comes by and asks you, ‘Is anyone in there?’ say ‘No.’”

21 But Jael, Heber’s wife, picked up a tent peg and a hammer and went quietly to him while he lay fast asleep, exhausted. She drove the peg through his temple into the ground, and he died.

also with srong hands A richly dressed woman decisively pushes a mighty warrior into a well. The man did not expect an attack, so despite his physical superiority, the outcome of the fight is obvious.
The painting "Timoclea Killing Her Rapist" was painted by the Italian artist Elisabetta Sirani in 1659.
The story of the brave Timoclea of Thebes is known thanks to Plutarch's retelling. According to the literary source, about 3 centuries BC, rebellious Thebes was besieged and captured by the troops of Alexander the Great. Among others, the united army of the great commander included detachments of Thracians.
As the winner, the Thracian officer burst into the chambers of the noble matron and abused her. After the violence, he did not hesitate to ask the victim to show the place where the riches were hidden. The Greek woman led the criminal to a garden well, where, according to her, the cache was supposedly located. When the man bent down, she pushed him down and threw stones at the well shaft. Later, the heroine was captured and brought to the royal court. Alexander the Great, delighted by her cold-blooded determination, ordered the accused to be acquitted.
The canvas depicts the culmination of the dramatic narrative. The background of the dynamic composition is a wall separating the garden from the courtyard of the manor house. The low sky has darkened due to the fires that have engulfed the city. In the lower part of the canvas, skillfully executed bas-reliefs and an elegant amphora for raising water are visible.
Today, the painting is kept in the National Museum of Capodimonte (Naples, Italy).

Attachments

• ac2a13a061cb533f18bb17e681526dda5d44ffbb.jpg
    ac2a13a061cb533f18bb17e681526dda5d44ffbb.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 43
A historic sword fight

Very interestingly there are a large number of photos and drawings in this genre. Probably due to "fencing" being one of the very few sports at the time that it was acceptable for young ladies to be involved in.

As a complete aside besides being out of measure and their stances being all wrong that parry by the girl with the back to the camera actually looks like one out of one of the French salon manuals.

kisses

willowfall

Two women during a sword duel.
female-duelists3.jpg female-duelists4.jpg

4fe8d8e29de6d84ed10228549555d531.jpg That's a big sword. How long would she last in a real fight?

View attachment 1528515 That's a big sword. How long would she last in a real fight?

Either that chick is really little or that is an overly large two hander. I'll give her credit for having her hands in the right position but that isn't any guard I've ever seen in any of the historical manuals. And since she isn't in a guard position if someone was within measure she's basically a shish kabob.

Two handers are a very interesting weapon and the guards\moves are unlike any other sword. They are very effective against each other and a lot of pole arms (particularly pikes) but they can be in a lot of trouble against a smaller faster weapon. I once beat a guy using just a dagger in 9 out of 10 free plays. Also there is a lot of usage of the butt end of the hilt against another person armed with two hander. Almost like sword wrestling.

The other shocking thing is how light properly made reproductions (or originals) are for something of that size.

The real problem with two handers being used by a novice is they want to slice completely thru the target (thank you Hollywood) where in reality you want to start drawing back into your guard position as soon as you make contact (as you do with most cutting swords). The attempt of trying to cut thru the target leaves you vulnerable to a lot of counters.

kisses

willowfall

Back
Top Bottom