Impressions From The Roman Arena

Go to CruxDreams.com

3DFranco

Assistant executioner
In this thread I would like to pursue an idea I had since quite a while.

The topic will be the Persecution of Christians in the Roman empire. I will try to depict the methods used to execute Christians in the arena as accurate as possible. But still adding some artistic fantasy to it.

It will probably become a wild mix of historical fact and Hollywood fiction.

I’m not a very good storyteller, thus I will try to replace thousands of words by a yet still unknown number of pictures. I have my own ideas, I mix it with inspirations from 19th century paintings, and take movie scenes as samples.

Please don’t expect too much off it. I will upload images from time to time, but with no fix timeline. Just whenever I get to it.

So, please enjoy it and don’t get too strict on the results I’ll produce.

At the Damnatio Ad Gladium, the condemned was forced to fight without any body protection agains a trained gladiator.
Roman historians also report, that the emperor Domitian had female gladiators fighting for him at torch light.
So, I mixed these two historical facts and have female gladiators carrying out the Damnatio Ad Gladium at christian females.

Attachments

• You Tyrant.jpg
    You Tyrant.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,624
The Damiatio Ad Bestias was not such a mass event as it is shown in 'Quo Vadis?'.
Rather small numbers of condemned were tied to poles and thus exposed to the beasts.
The image was inspired by the painting 'Faithful Unto Death' by Herbert Schmalz.

Attachments

• Damnatio Ad Bestias.jpg
    Damnatio Ad Bestias.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,495
At the Damnatio Ad Gladium, the condemned was forced to fight without any body protection agains a trained gladiator.
Roman historians also report, that the emperor Domitian had female gladiators fighting for him at torch light.
So, I mixed these two historical facts and have female gladiators carrying out the Damnatio Ad Gladium at christian females.
The Damiatio Ad Bestias was not such a mass event as it is shown in 'Quo Vadis?'.
Rather small numbers of condemned were tied to poles and thus exposed to the beasts.
The image was inspired by the painting 'Faithful Unto Death' by Herbert Schmalz.
quo vadis is a beautiful film, it beautifully shows the brutality of the games in the arena! and I love how you portrayed it!

those lions are great! I don't know now, I think there is a better model for the lion that came out together with the genesis 9... but I'm not sure..

anyway, thanks a lot for the awesome pictures Franco!
Thanks!

quo vadis is a beautiful film, it beautifully shows the brutality of the games in the arena! and I love how you portrayed it!

those lions are great! I don't know now, I think there is a better model for the lion that came out together with the genesis 9... but I'm not sure..

anyway, thanks a lot for the awesome pictures Franco!
Thanks!
I don't know any other 'real' lion character. The one that came out for G9 is a fantasy figure. A human-shaped lion or lion-shaped human, however you prefer to look at it.

The figure I used comes in a more detailed version as well. But when I used it, it simply blew the memory of my computer. So, I had to go with the lesser-detail version.

I don't know any other 'real' lion character. The one that came out for G9 is a fantasy figure. A human-shaped lion or lion-shaped human, however you prefer to look at it.

The figure I used comes in a more detailed version as well. But when I used it, it simply blew the memory of my computer. So, I had to go with the lesser-detail version.
hmmm but it's still great! but you're right, it also fails me if I put a full hd lion there...

Great picture. The women have been made up to look as pretty as they can be (well, for being naked sacrifices) and they don't appreciate it at all. Perhaps the cats staking them have upset them. Their handlers are all armed- why aren't they???

The topic will be the Persecution of Christians in the Roman empire. I will try to depict the methods used to execute Christians in the arena as accurate as possible. But still adding some artistic fantasy to it.

I’m not a very good storyteller, thus I will try to replace thousands of words by a yet still unknown number of pictures. I have my own ideas, I mix it with inspirations from 19th century paintings, and take movie scenes as samples.

Please don’t expect too much off it. I will upload images from time to time, but with no fix timeline. Just whenever I get to it.

there's nothing to do !!! for me you are absolutely the artist I love the most!!! your works convey incredible emotions to me!!! Out of curiosity have you ever thought about doing a tutorial from A to Z on DAZ studio for a fee??? You would be an incredible teacher!!! I would buy it immediately at any price!!!!

Nice!

there's nothing to do !!! for me you are absolutely the artist I love the most!!! your works convey incredible emotions to me!!! Out of curiosity have you ever thought about doing a tutorial from A to Z on DAZ studio for a fee??? You would be an incredible teacher!!! I would buy it immediately at any price!!!!
I'm glad you like my work.
Becoming a DS instructor is something I'll spare for retirement. I do it already for Aluafaen et Rimmon Ra on a non-comercial base. I try to give him hints and to show him tricks, as I do with everyone who comes with a specific question. But the time to support a broghter community I just don't have right now.

Becoming a DS instructor is something I'll spare for retirement. I do it already for Aluafaen et Rimmon Ra on a non-comercial base. I try to give him hints and to show him tricks, as I do with everyone who comes with a specific question. But the time to support a broghter community I just don't have right now.
I think in the future I will start a bigger thread here on cruxforum where I will share all the tutorials, guides, tools, tricks and experiences from you Franco, me, notrfromthisword and other artists, so everything will be there...

but the creation of that thread requires the consent of all mentioned...
and most of all time... I won't lie, I have hundreds of pictures for my inspiration, and somewhere in between the mess, I have instructions stuck...
so it will take...

and I really thank you very much for your incredible help 3Dfranco!!
there are many things i have learned thanks to you!! and also thank you for your holy patience.

thanks

in your works, and I forgot to mention, you can see the real elaboration!!

I was once in Poland, at an event where the rapax legion association featured!!
that was something amazing for me - this association tries to faithfully show how legions fought, sieges, Roman ways, and the crucifixion of slaves or barbarians (of course it's just like..)

but in your works I noticed innovations and things that I had not seen before (yes, I can use daz3d, but there are things that are simply difficult to display, and many artists do not share them much, and you are a great exception!! and thank you for that!

honestly, using a ladder to distribute the weight of the patibula, executed woman, etc., on the cross, during the crucifixion, is genius!!

I think in the future I will start a bigger thread here on cruxforum where I will share all the tutorials, guides, tools, tricks and experiences from you Franco, me, notrfromthisword and other artists, so everything will be there...

but the creation of that thread requires the consent of all mentioned...
and most of all time... I won't lie, I have hundreds of pictures for my inspiration, and somewhere in between the mess, I have instructions stuck...
so it will take...

and I really thank you very much for your incredible help 3Dfranco!!
there are many things i have learned thanks to you!! and also thank you for your holy patience.

thanks
That would be really wonderful!!!!!! Great!!! Very interesting!!! I really hope this thing can be done!!! I work on it too but it's not easy at all... and seeing masters like 3dFranco at work really makes you want to do more!!! Thanks Franco for what you do!!!

The last event, concluding the day in the arena, is the execution of arsonists by 'Ardens Vivus', the ‘Burning Alive’.

The emperor and most of the senate have already left the arena since it is only the execution of 'common' criminals. In this case, three young slaves who were accused to have set fire to a stable at her master’s estate, to use the chaos to run away.

Experienced executioners took care that the major blaze was delayed, prolonging the suffering of the victims.

Attachments

• Ardens Vivus.jpg
    Ardens Vivus.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,122
The last event, concluding the day in the arena, is the execution of arsonists by 'Ardens Vivus', the ‘Burning Alive’.

The emperor and most of the senate have already left the arena since it is only the execution of 'common' criminals. In this case, three young slaves who were accused to have set fire to a stable at her master’s estate, to use the chaos to run away.

Experienced executioners took care that the major blaze was delayed, prolonging the suffering of the victims.
I love the concept, but the lighting seems off, especially on the slave in the middle. The fire should be lighting her - and the other one on the right - from below. Instead, they seem to be in shadow.

ATMOSFERA INCREDIBILE!!

They are in the shadow! They are in the shadow of the smoke clouds.

To create the smoke, I used empty cubes with volumetric smoke shaders. Thus DA calculates lights and shadows in such way, as if the smoke would be really there. For example: As a long-time fire fighter I can tell you that the results are absolutey authentic.

I tried to capture the apocalyptic scenery of such executions, although no image could propably realy do this.

These are wonderful, powerful images. Thanks so much for creating and sharing them. :)

I'd love to see occasional close ups of some of the suffering girls to complement these complex multi-character wider shots.

Yes, it is historically proven that the Romans kept female slaves as gladiatrixes. The slaves were often made available to the games' financiers on the eve of their fights and paraded at parties in the villas. They were also allowed to be used sexually there.

The next day they had to fight each other in the arena. It was certainly very exciting for the rich Romans to have fun with girls who had to fight for their lives closest to the entertainment of the masses.

For the slaves, it was certainly an additional humiliation to be at the service of the men for whose pleasure they might most likely die.

Back
Top Bottom