Impressions From The Roman Arena

Go to CruxDreams.com
Roman citizens had seen many spectacles in the arena since the emperor began his persecution of Christians.

Although roman citizens were considered open-minded if it comes to foreign religious cults, they did not object at all to the persecution. After all: This particular sect and its followers, many of whom are slaves and lower plebs, have always been suspicious thru and thru.

Followers of a Jewish rebel, who was crucified for high treason against Rome. People, who are said to meet at night in the catacombs, performing secret rituals of black magic. How could they be trusted?

Their believe in the equalness of all people and the 'paradise' undermine roman society, which depends on the distinction between classes. There are reports almost every week, about slaves, who resisted their masters on the base of such believes.

Today, the 15th of June, is a special day. It's 'Quando Stercum Delatum Fas', the holiday in the honor of the goddess Vesta.

Over the past couple weeks, the emperor’s henchmen had to select from the prisoners the prettiest young women, to spare them for this day.

When the first were driven into the arena, the ‘annunciator’ introduced them as Christian Virgins, to be crucified as a sacrifice to the goddess. Knowing about the roguery of the guards, one could hardly believe that these women were still virgins.

It was widely known that the guards allowed, for little sums of bribe-money, all kinds of scum to have their fun with the captives.

In the morning the guards fetched them from their cells, cleaned, and decorated them, just as if they were sacrificial animals. Despite the ordeals they had already experienced in the dungeon of the arena, this was another humiliating moment.

To the cheers of the crowd, they were forced out into the arena, where they were blinded by the strong sunlight. To make the procedure easier for the hangmen, they were brought out in groups. Never more than six or seven at a time.

The subsequent had to pass in horror the crosses, from which the once already hung who had preceded them.

Any unwanted uttering, prayers, singing, or accusations against the emperor, was silenced immediately by the hangmen and their whips. Even if the unfortunate victim had already been nailed to the cross.
I have to study some historical scripts, where do you get your inspiration from please?

Today the Colosseum lies in ruins, but still impresses everyone who sees it. Like all other remains that still exist today. Arenas throughout the entire former roman empire, theaters, aqueducts, many others.

All these magnificent monuments of Roman culture inspire the utmost respect for the Roman builders in every viewer.

However, little attention is paid to the people who made these monuments possible. Thousands of slaves had to work in the mines to gain the wealth that made these buildings possible. Thousands more quarried the sandstone and marble blocks from which the buildings were constructed. And even more work was done on the large construction sites.

Some of them were convicted criminals, but most were slaves sold by their masters into the quarries and mines, prisoners of war and victims of Christian persecution.

The lives of the young and strong were shortened by hard work and the relentless lashes of the overseers. Working from sunrise to sunset without breaks, the slightest resistance, stealing food or water, or attempting to escape resulted in harsh punishments carried out as a warning to others.

---

I admit this is a bit off topic. But I've had this image in my head since I first saw the HBO miniseries Rome.

Attachments

• The Quarry.jpg
    The Quarry.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 663
Today the Colosseum lies in ruins, but still impresses everyone who sees it. Like all other remains that still exist today. Arenas throughout the entire former roman empire, theaters, aqueducts, many others.

All these magnificent monuments of Roman culture inspire the utmost respect for the Roman builders in every viewer.

However, little attention is paid to the people who made these monuments possible. Thousands of slaves had to work in the mines to gain the wealth that made these buildings possible. Thousands more quarried the sandstone and marble blocks from which the buildings were constructed. And even more work was done on the large construction sites.

Some of them were convicted criminals, but most were slaves sold by their masters into the quarries and mines, prisoners of war and victims of Christian persecution.

The lives of the young and strong were shortened by hard work and the relentless lashes of the overseers. Working from sunrise to sunset without breaks, the slightest resistance, stealing food or water, or attempting to escape resulted in harsh punishments carried out as a warning to others.

---

I admit this is a bit off topic. But I've had this image in my head since I first saw the HBO miniseries Rome.
every picture of yours is something unreal!!¨
this is just something wonderful!!
thanks mate for posting!

I lo

---

i look forward to seeing more of your work of art

---

An excellent tribute to those who created the glories of Rome we still admire today.
They work naked because clothes would just get dirty and torn. And women can work just as hard as men.
Plus, crucifying a few makes the others work harder.
:span1:

---

IMG_5765.jpeg

Head bowed, and stripped naked save for a black Loincloth, I enter the Quarry at the head of a group made up, like myself, of new arrivals. I bow my head, because what I see taking place here all around me is so horrible that I’d rather not look.

But that’s actually of little help, as I’d already seen enough to conclude that bowing my head in prayer to my Christian God, was my only chance at salvation … although after being seized by the authorities, stripped, beaten and driven here to labor and die, I was no longer certain of whether my God cares at all, or is even real.

Although I can bow my head and close my eyes, there is no escaping the reality of what surrounds me. I’d seen the slaves crucified and writhing in agony as I entered the quarry, and as a Christian can well imagine death on the cross to be my ultimate fate.

I hear all around me the grunts, screams and cried for mercy all around me as dozens of naked slaves … both men and women … toil under the lash. And mixed in with that are the harsh demands of the overseers, the crack of whips, the grating sound of immense blocks of sandstone being dragged across the quarry floor by teams of grunting, cursing slaves. All accompanied by the ringing surrounding notes of hammers striking on chisels.

I wonder to what task I’ll be assigned. As far as I can tell, the overseers care little about whether one is male or female, weak or strong.. One can be assigned to any task, or any kind of abuse .. even rape.

Sadly
there’s no hope. I’ve nothing to look forward to here but misery, pain and death. I can only hope that my suffering shall be brief.

---

I adore the fact that you depict both female & male slaves for an additional layer of realism.

Wonderful!!! All of your work is truly incredible in its completeness, to the point of creating emotions that an image would hardly be able to convey. Thank you for sharing these fantastic masterpieces.

---

I share the image with you in your head!
It's like this, the harder the slaves work, the hornier their bodies are for the fun of the night!
Slim waist, firm breasts, firm skin, and too tired to start an argument!
simply perfect to have fun!

Last edited:

---

The Spartacus TV series also had an episode set in a mine. Naevia was sent to he mines at the end of Season One. In Season Two the rebels attacked the mine to rescue her and recruit more volunteers. There was plenty of nudity and brutality as we all love!

This thread is actually so genius. Don't feel bad, OP. I read the first post and I am quite curious myself how it would have gone. I always imagine being a time traveler and when I finally go back to that time period, always being surprised in the actual ways on which it's done. Beyond my imagination, could ever possibly fathom. I end up falling to my knees as I look up at the implements in which crucified victims are hung from.

Back
Top Bottom