Jeeves and the Missing Model

Go to CruxDreams.com
“No, sir. Unless I am very much mistaken she is currently on the boat train to Harwich, in the company of the notorious art thief the Count Ludwig Loxuru of Germania Inferior.”
Art thief!? Hang on, bitte! Connoisseur, collector and patron of fine arts!:loco:

Jeeves sighed patiently. “It is common knowledge, sir, that Miss Kiss is engaged to be married to Count Loxuru. Mr Wulf of Cruxton Abbey told me so six weeks ago. He also mentioned that Count Loxuru had swindled the Earl out of a valuable painting of his servant girl Ariel, about which His Lordship currently remains somewhat vexed. I regret to say that the Count’s interest in paintings of the Cruxton servant girls is also widely understood.”
If the Gentlemen are confused about Fraulein Kiss's choices, that is their problem. Anyway, it is not my problem either that they valuate artwork way to low, so that they practically give it away! :roto2nuse:

“Of course it’s Alice!” thundered Jollyrei. “And you have less than ten minutes to live!”
Herr Jollyrei's usual introduction when he arrives! In most cases, it is much less than ten minutes! :eek:

Once again my monocle dropped out. I only knew one person in the world with stunning legs like that.

“Barb!” I exclaimed.
Notice to Mr Tree : buy a Rolls instead of a Mustang! You will not believe your eyes :D

That will not be necessary, sir. I telephoned Inspector Phlebas of Scotland Yard this morning. I am given to understand that he and his men are currently at Harwich awaiting the arrival of the train. I had the pleasure of the company of Mr Hugin and Mr Munin yesterday evening, who are on the Count’s staff, and they let slip that he had made travel arrangements for today.”
Harwich!? Don't those two know the difference between Harwich and Dover, which is much closer to travel to Germania Inferior! :roto2cafe:

Fine story, Wragg! :thumbsup: :clapping: And thanks for the cameo!:beer:

Harwich and Dover,
Harwich for the continent, Dover for the incontinent ;)

Herr Jollyrei's usual introduction when he arrives! In most cases, it is much less than ten minutes! :eek:
:duke:

If the Gentlemen are confused about Fraulein Kiss's choices, that is their problem. Anyway, it is not my problem either that they valuate artwork way to low, so that they practically give it away! :roto2nuse:

Notice to Mr Tree : buy a Rolls instead of a Mustang! You will not believe your eyes :D

Art thief!? Hang on, bitte! Connoisseur, collector and patron of fine arts!:loco:
Of course. :doh:

Even Jeeves has his off days! :facepalm:

“I say, Barb, do keep your eyes on the road, old girl!”
Thanks Wragg, for this exciting contribution to the canon of Cruxton literature. It looks as though we've all been taken for a ride this time, and now I've lost my paintings! All this in spite of the fact that Jeeves seemed to know far more than he was saying. :confused:

Jeeves and the Missing Model 2.jpg

I realise this is not the first time you have written Alice as the villain, and dealing with this femme fatale business does get rather confusing. But what worries me most is that we've all taken a ride in Jollyrei's car, which is specifically designed for making a one-way journey. I suppose that means we won't be coming back to your place? I wonder if Frau Kuss-Loxuru would like to sit for a wedding portrait... :)

Thanks Wragg, for this exciting contribution to the canon of Cruxton literature. It looks as though we've all been taken for a ride this time, and now I've lost my paintings! All this in spite of the fact that Jeeves seemed to know far more than he was saying. :confused:

I realise this is not the first time you have written Alice as the villain, and dealing with this femme fatale business does get rather confusing. But what worries me most is that we've all taken a ride in Jollyrei's car, which is specifically designed for making a one-way journey. I suppose that means we won't be coming back to your place? I wonder if Frau Kuss-Loxuru would like to sit for a wedding portrait... :)
Excellent manipulation, Bob, and I see Barb, Jollyrei, myself and Jeeves.

Mr Inder is, I suspect, hiding in the boot? (Trunk)

“Of course it’s Alice!” thundered Jollyrei. “And you have less than ten minutes to live!”
It's important to come right to the point, even if nobody knows what you're talking about.

“I’ll tell you what I’m talking about, you numbskull! Bob Inder found this photograph on his doormat this morning with a note demanding that he hand over his collection of pictures of Alice or else, one by one, those ropes will be replaced with nails! Bob is on his way here at this very moment and he is proposing to shake you by the neck until you reveal where she is!”
Bob appears as keen to jump to conclusions as I am, only with a greater tendency to violence. I shall have to remember that. :D

“My car! It’s just outside! Let’s go!” Jollyrei, a man of action if ever there was one, leapt towards the door. “We can talk on the way!”

We followed him, and, sure enough, his Rolls Royce was waiting at the kerb.
Of course I have a car. It's black. Does Rolls Royce actually make a "Black Shadow"? They really should you know.

She swerved around a milk cart, overtook a lorry, and forced a cab to brake and blare its horn as she raced across a junction. Her hands and feet moved on the wheel, the gears, and the pedals like an organist playing a fugue in a cathedral. I felt a mixture of admiration and terror. Even Jeeves looked pale.
She's an admirable driver, as long as you don't go around doing silly things like dwelling on mortality or fearing death. :rolleyes: :cool:;)

“It is common knowledge, sir, that Miss Kiss is engaged to be married to Count Loxuru.
Now, that was news to me. Did you know about that, Barb?
Barb? Blast! She's off in the Rolls again. She might be a good driver, but these spirited American girls play merry hell with the suspension!

“You’re not an idiot, Bob!” Jollyrei was almost as upset as he was. “She had us all fooled! But we have no time to lose! Barb? Can you get us to Harwich before the boat train gets there?”

“Sure, honey!” said Barb, who had outdriven the cream of the Metropolitan Police this very morning. “That would be a piece of cake!”
But they are game for adventure. You don't think she wants me just for my car, do you?

Well, I wasn't expecting the villanous Loxuru to show up like that, or the duplicity of Alice. Anyway, if they've stolen the portraits of Ariel, they must be brought to justice, clearly. Such a crime!

Excellent romp, as always, Wragg! :beer::clapping:

Listen you Bozos! Driving clear across central London at breakneck speeds to arrive at Bob’s in seven minutes flat without a dent or scratch on Jolly’s Rolls is a feat worthy of the Guinness Book! How about a little respect! :car:

No more wisecracks about my driving skills!

Listen you Bozos! Driving clear across central London at breakneck speeds to arrive at Bob’s in seven minutes flat without a dent or scratch on Jolly’s Rolls is a feat worthy of the Guinness Book! How about a little respect! :car:
You inspired that Culture Club song; “It’s a Miracle”
No more wisecracks about my driving skills!
Ok, what about the Big Red Button (marked “Do Not Touch”) instead? :azote: :roflmao:

Great, funny story @Wragg . Thanks for posting it.

I couldn't resist cobbling together an image, taken in the jail at Harwich, where Alice is being held.

JeevesandWoosterwithAlice.jpg

Wooster (on the right): 'Tell me, Jeeves. Why is young Alice totally naked in her cell?'
Jeeves (on the left): 'So that lecherous men like yourself can ogle her nubile, young body, old boy!'
Wooster: 'Do you think she enjoyed being photographed naked tied to a tree in that forest?'
Jeeves: 'Why not ask her yourself?'
Alice (centre): 'What the fuck do you think? My hands and feet were blue and numb. My nipples were tumescent. My back and ass were rubbed raw. My shoulders ached like mad. I could hardly breathe, and my pussy was dripping!'
Wooster: 'Sounds like she had a lot of fun. I wish I'd been there so I could have nailed her.'
Jeeves: 'Indeed, old boy! Indeed. I'm sure she would have enjoyed that even better.'

Last edited:
Great, funny story @Wragg . Thanks for posting it.

I couldn't resist cobbling together an image, taken in the jail at Harwich, where Alice is being held.

View attachment 1473992

Wooster (on the right): 'Tell me, Jeeves. Why is young Alice totally naked in her cell?'
Jeeves (on the left): 'So that lecherous men like yourself can ogle her nubile, young body, old boy!'
Wooster: 'Do you think she enjoyed being photographed naked tied to a tree in that forest?'
Jeeves: 'Why not ask her yourself?'
Alice (centre): 'What the fuck do you think? My hands and feet were blue and numb. My nipples were tumescent. My back and ass were rubbed raw. My shoulders ached like mad. I could hardly breathe, and my pussy was dripping!'
Wooster: 'Sounds like she had a lot of fun. I wish I'd been there so I could have nailed her.'
Jeeves: 'Indeed, old boy! Indeed. I'm sure she would have enjoyed that even better.'
Priceless, @Davec5299 ! :)

In Cologne!
The boat train from Ostend has just arrived! :p

View attachment 1474005
Alice wearing a Germany shirt? :eek:

That's real treachery! :mad:

Under no circumstances to be attempted without a Jeeves pick-me-up! ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 1473992

Standard Scotland Yard procedure for nubile criminal young ladies: the strip search, followed by - err - where did I put those clothes? No matter, young Alice will think twice about going up against Inspector Phlebas in future. (but all Inspector Phlebas can think about presently is going up against young Alice)

5Alice amty 1 (94)dt.jpg

“I say!” I said. “That’s Alice, isn’t it?”

“What..what…what… what… WHAT? What on earth are you talking about, old bean?”

“I’ll tell you what I’m talking about, you numbskull! Bob Inder found this photograph on his doormat this morning with a note demanding that he hand over his collection of pictures of Alice or else, one by one, those ropes will be replaced with nails! Bob is on his way here at this very moment and he is proposing to shake you by the neck until you reveal where she is!”

My mouth opened in shock. Those paintings were his pride and joy. He’d never give them up willingly.

“But how am I supposed to know where she is?”

“Oh, come on, Bertie! Do you think I am a fool? You practically fell over your tongue last night when you saw her! And that ridiculous cravat! Everybody knows that you have the hots for Alice! I demand to look in your garden!”

I spluttered meaninglessly, at a complete loss as to what to say to this preposterous accusation.

Fortunately for me, there came the sound of the respectful clearing of a throat from behind Jollyrei.

“Please pardon my interruption, your Lordship, but there is only one tree in Mr Wragg’s garden. It is a laburnum, sir. It is currently in flower, and is a fine sight, which you are welcome to admire, but you will search in vain for a forest, nor for any crucified young women.”

Jollyrei opened his mouth, and then closed it again. Once again the doorbell rang, and Jeeves departed. One second later Bob Inder burst through the door and lunged towards me.

“STOP, Bob!” Jollyrei grabbed his arm. “He doesn’t know where she is. There’s no forest in his garden, and he had no clue about any of this until I showed him that photo, I can assure you.”

“No? Well, if he doesn’t, you can bet that foul Uncle of his does! He hasn’t forgiven me for one minute since she gave up scrubbing his scullery floor and came to London!”

I considered this. But Uncle Roderick was no art connoisseur. He’d have no interest in Bob’s paintings. Nor in Alice herself, for that matter - I’d heard that he had replaced Alice almost instantly with a new scullery maid called Veronika, who was currently getting no peace from the old lecher. But, for Bob, I had an unshakable answer to that suggestion.

“If Uncle Roderick’s got her, Bob, my dear fellow, I wouldn’t know anything about that. He hasn’t spoken to me for years. And you know I’m about as welcome at Cruxton Abbey as a rat casserole, don’t you?”

Bob looked at me, and, gradually, his fists unclenched. I breathed a sigh of relief. A fist fight with Bob would have ruined the furniture in my dining room. And I’d have lost – I tried boxing at Eton. It wasn’t a success.

“Damn!” Bob’s frustration was evident. “Damn, damn, damn, and damn!”

I told Bob about Veronika. “I don’t think he’s interested in Alice any more, old chap.”

Bob eyed me narrowly. “If you’re estranged from your Uncle, how come you know the names of his new serving girls?”

“I’m estranged from him, but Jeeves isn’t estranged from Wulf, the butler there.”

“Indeed I am not, sir. If I may say so, the Cruxton Arms is an exceptionally congenial establishment.”

“Thank you, Jeeves,” snapped Bob, “But right now I’m not particularly interested in the Michelin Guide to English Pubs. I need to find Alice, and fast – before she’s nailed to that cross.”

“Do you think she’s at Cruxton Abbey, Jeeves?” asked Jollyrei.

“If you’ll pardon me for the observation, your Lordship, I do not consider it probable that the Countess of Cruxton would sanction such a scheme,”

I allowed myself the faintest of smiles. Jeeves was right. Lady Wragg was a force to be reckoned with. She’d tan the old reprobate’s hide!

“We’re back at square one,” grumbled Bob. “No idea who’s got her. I’d better go and pack up my paintings. If I’ve got Alice, I can paint some more.”

“Don’t be daft, Bob! They’re your life’s work!” I was aghast. This was terrible. For all I knew, he might hand over the paintings, and the cad who has got her would still nail her to her cross, and leave her there to die. She might not know a decent cravat when she saw one, but she didn’t deserve to die on a cross. There was only one thing for it.

“Jeeves! What do we do?”

Jeeves picked up the photograph, and looked at it carefully. Somewhat to my surprise, he seemed as interested in the smell of it as the look of it, as he put it to his nose and inhaled deeply.

“Mr Inder, you should return to your home as quickly as possible.”

“What? Why?”

“I regret to inform you, sir, that your home is very probably being burgled as we speak.”

“But… but.. how? Why?”

“My car! It’s just outside! Let’s go!” Jollyrei, a man of action if ever there was one, leapt towards the door. “We can talk on the way!”

We followed him, and, sure enough, his Rolls Royce was waiting at the kerb. Rolls Royces, as you may be aware, are extremely capacious vehicles, and there was plenty of room for Jollyrei’s driver, himself, Bob, Jeeves, and myself and some left over to spare.

Jollyrei gave the driver Bob’s address, which was about five miles away across central London. “Make it fast!” he ordered. I groaned. It would take hours in the mid-day traffic. But the driver let in the clutch, and I was thrown back against my seat as the car took off like a rocket, then I was forced to hang on for dear life as it squealed around the first corner. For the first time I considered the chauffeur, whom Jollyrei must have recruited from a motor racing team. I was astonished to see a pair of extremely shapely legs working the pedals.

Once again my monocle dropped out. I only knew one person in the world with stunning legs like that.

“Barb!” I exclaimed.

She took her cap off, allowing her raven hair to cascade across her shoulders. She turned and gave me her famous dazzling smile. “Hi Bertie!”

She swerved around a milk cart, overtook a lorry, and forced a cab to brake and blare its horn as she raced across a junction. Her hands and feet moved on the wheel, the gears, and the pedals like an organist playing a fugue in a cathedral. I felt a mixture of admiration and terror. Even Jeeves looked pale.

The statue of Eros passed in a blur as she shot across Piccadilly Circus leaving swerving cars and blaring horns in her wake, but there wasn’t a scratch on that gleaming car. Jollyrei sat in the front passenger seat looking so relaxed that he appeared to be considering nodding off. Far behind came the sound of a police bell but I knew that they had not got a prayer of catching up with Barb.

Just less than seven minutes after we’d left mine the roller squealed to a stop in front of Bob’s front door.

Which stood wide open.

Bob groaned, and dashed up the steps to his front door. I followed him in, but if it had been burgled it had been a very tidy burglar – everything looked as immaculate as if Bob employed a Jeeves of his own, which I knew he didn’t. But Bob disappeared into the inner recesses of his home, and re-appeared looking ashen.

“They’re gone!” he wailed. “My precious Alice paintings have gone!”

I poured him a whisky and soda, with more emphasis on the whisky and less on the soda, which he accepted gratefully.

I turned to Jeeves. “Jeeves,” I admitted, “I haven’t got the faintest idea what is happening here. How did you know?”

“The photograph, sir, could not possibly have been posed, taken, processed, and delivered this morning.” He passed it to me. “It is taken in a forest, and required full daylight. The photograph is completely dry, and there is no essence of photographic chemistry about it. It is reasonable to conclude that it existed some time before Miss Kiss attended her party last night, and that its deployment upon Mr Inder’s doormat this morning was merely a ruse to cause him to leave his house.”

“You mean – she’s not currently hanging on a cross somewhere?” I felt faintly disappointed. I’d been rather looking forward to discovering her in her forest.

“No, sir. Unless I am very much mistaken she is currently on the boat train to Harwich, in the company of the notorious art thief the Count Ludwig Loxuru of Germania Inferior.”

I goggled at the man “What? Why? How?” I stammered.

Jeeves sighed patiently. “It is common knowledge, sir, that Miss Kiss is engaged to be married to Count Loxuru. Mr Wulf of Cruxton Abbey told me so six weeks ago. He also mentioned that Count Loxuru had swindled the Earl out of a valuable painting of his servant girl Ariel, about which His Lordship currently remains somewhat vexed. I regret to say that the Count’s interest in paintings of the Cruxton servant girls is also widely understood.”

“Noooooo!” howled Bob, his head in his hands, “It wasn’t ‘common knowledge’ to me! I knew it was too good to be true! I gave her the key to my house at the party yesterday evening! And she knows where my studio is – she’s been modelling for me! I’m an idiot!”

“You’re not an idiot, Bob!” Jollyrei was almost as upset as he was. “She had us all fooled! But we have no time to lose! Barb? Can you get us to Harwich before the boat train gets there?”

“Sure, honey!” said Barb, who had outdriven the cream of the Metropolitan Police this very morning. “That would be a piece of cake!”

But once again Jeeves spoke up. “That will not be necessary, sir. I telephoned Inspector Phlebas of Scotland Yard this morning. I am given to understand that he and his men are currently at Harwich awaiting the arrival of the train. I had the pleasure of the company of Mr Hugin and Mr Munin yesterday evening, who are on the Count’s staff, and they let slip that he had made travel arrangements for today.”

I was delighted to have been spared a white-knuckle ride across Essex, but aghast at the treachery of Alice. To think I had lashed out on a costly cravat in her honour! I’d had a lucky escape.

“Jeeves,” I said, “You’re a marvel!”

“Thank you, sir. One endeavours to give satisfaction.”

“Oh, and Jeeves?”

“Sir?”

“That cravat.”

“Sir?”

“Burn it.”

“Thank you sir. I took the liberty of doing so this morning.”

That's all, folks!
As if P.G. Wodehouse has risen from the dead an continued his work. Splendid, old man.

Back
Top Bottom