Notturno Veneziano

Go to CruxDreams.com
My tastes are much like yours Gabriella, same choice for A and B,
but for C I'd choose Volpina mullet, vegetables with parsley and basil pesto.
And for the wine - with the first two courses I'll try the Isonzo di Friuli as I've never tasted that,
but I've checked it out and a good one from the Rive Alte would suit those dishes.
With the mullet, perhaps a Riesling d'Alsace. Dessert wine? Has to be Vin Santo!
After everything you've eaten you are to going to take a NAP, not doing the exercises of dance, the dancers take a dish and then off to dance!

That's an after-dance dinner :)

Which reminds me, we've got to put the clocks forward, up early tomorrow...

And for the wine - with the first two courses I'll try the Isonzo di Friuli as I've never tasted that,
but I've checked it out and a good one from the Rive Alte would suit those dishes.
With the mullet, perhaps a Riesling d'Alsace. Dessert wine? Has to be Vin Santo!

Yes, I was in doubt with that too! :) I do not like so much Volpina mullet, I would prefer sea bass, so I opted for something that I do not eat so often, cod fish with coconutand lemongrass, which is pretty unusual, at least for me. But I am pretty open to any solution... :)

About wine... some Sauvignon blanc (at least two glasses!) and limoncello for dessert maybe? :)

The Isonzo del Friuli is a white wine from: Chardonnay; Malvasia istriana; Pinot bianco and Pinot grigio; Riesling Renano and Riesling Italico; Sauvignon; Friulano; Traminer aromatico; Verduzzo Friulano; Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Vin Santo is from Tuscany.

The Volpina is a fish: Grey Mullet, as called in English

:p I've to open a Crux Forums Restaurant... :p

Last edited:
.... :) .... I would prefer sea bass, so I opted for something that I do not eat so often, cod fish with coconutand lemongrass, which is pretty unusual, at least for me. But I am pretty open to any solution... :)
About wine... some Sauvignon blanc (at least two glasses!) and limoncello for dessert maybe? :)

Good choice.
But.
The l'bogo chef suggest you:

Baicolo fillet in saor, with Chioggia stewed red onions, cream of violet artichokes of S. Erasmo.
Venissa, Dorona wine in the Veneto lagoon, Mazzobro island, offer a heady and evolving nose.

1521970673240.png

Dorona: Known as the Golden Grape during the age of the Venetian Doges, this autochthonous grape variety almost became extinct, and after centuries of history only a few plants were left hidden away in vegetable gardens and convents.
Mazzorbo (from the Latin Maiurbium, great city) was founded when the inhabitants fled the nearby town of Altino due to the Longobardic invasion, and over the years, it became an important center of what is today known as Native Venice: the original Venice.

Last edited:
An excellent idea!
Of course, we already have our Coffee Shop,
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/the-coffee-shop.779/page-276
where a selection of delectable waitresses :tits:
are eager to serve every taste - including delicious Italian dishes :hambre:

Baicolo fillet in saor
Now I'm trying to learn Venetian dialect (Luna tried to teach me Napoletana) -
some crafty Googling reveals:
baicolo (as well as being a sweet biscuit) is a young mullet (cefalo),
saor is 'savoury', i.e. a savoury sauce. Sounds very tasty.
Venissa wine and the Dorona grape are quite new to me,
I don't think we can get Venissa in Britain, at least not out here in the sticks.
http://venissa.it/en/vino/#shop

An excellent idea!
Of course, we already have our Coffee Shop, where a selection of delectable waitresses :tits:
are eager to serve every taste - including delicious Italian dishes :hambre:

Now I'm trying to learn Venetian dialect (Luna tried to teach me Napoletano) -
some crafty Googling reveals:
baicolo (as well as being a sweet biscuit) is a young mullet (cefalo),
saor is 'savoury', i.e. a savoury sauce. Sounds very tasty.
Venissa wine and the Dorona grape are quite new to me,
I don't think we can get Venissa in Britain, at least not out here in the sticks.
http://venissa.it/en/vino/#shop

Baicolo is our branzino or spigola: Dicentrarchus labrax.

the Venetian Saòr is a little bit different by savoury sauce

Recipe for sauce for seasoning fish and Venetian vegetables:
1Kg Golden or white onion cut into strips
5 Cup of white wine vinegar
7-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
2 tablespoons raisins soaked in water, salt and pepper as you need
chives chopped (optional ingredient)

preparation of saor:
We heat a large pan and pour the extra virgin olive oil. When it is hot, add the chopped onion and let it Brown for a few minutes at medium-high flame. Then pour the vinegar and we lower the fire, stir and allow to reduce the liquid, making sure to evaporate without excessive hotness. When the onions are dry and soft, turn off the heat and add the raisins wrung out the water and dried, toasted pine nuts, salt, pepper and perhaps also the chives. Stir to mix well. For a good sauce, let us remember to alternate the sauce in a baking dish with vegetables, as a kind of lasagna. In the case of a fish different from sardines, let's instead so that it is placed on a bed of sauce and covered with another generous layer. Then put in the fridge to rest for at least a day before serving. Take out half an hour before serving.

the Venissa is it you found!

branzino or spigola: Dicentrarchus labrax
Ah, that's seabass.

And I'd call saòr a 'sweet and sour' sauce. The raisins and pine-nuts hint at Arab influence?
The recipe in the book I've got is very similar, but adds white wine.

Last edited:
I heartily approve of this discussion. We all spend more time eating than we do hanging on crosses or being whipped or having sex (some may lament that, but I think it's normal) so food deserves a fair share of attention in our stories. Stan Goldman and Barbara Moore got to sample a few of the great variety of cuisines available in New York City. They got to enjoy a wonderful dinner at Alain Ducasse in London (which Stan is still paying for:rolleyes:). Even the most famous crucifixion in history was preceded by the Last Supper (a Passover Seder like the one which will be occurring this Friday).

Last edited:
I like the way, as the story proceeds at leisurely pace (mainly because my translating is slow, but I hope careful),
l'bogo 'feeds' us with all these 'tastes' of the beautiful city and all its sensory delights!

I like the way, as the story proceeds at leisurely pace (mainly because my translating is slow, but I hope careful),
l'bogo 'feeds' us with all these 'tastes' of the beautiful city and all its sensory delights!

It’s a delightful sensory experience at all levels ...:p

With many many thanks to l'bogo and Eulalia... :)

Monday evening

During my exercises I’m hearing a buzzing in my ears, feeling a slight headache, and the phrase from the choreography, "The crucifixion of an impossible love ..." seems to be seeping into every convolution of the brain, feeding a state of anxiety - how can I be crucified?

Frau Helga notices that I am troubled.

'Enough, Gaby, enough for today, my darling! You need to rest.'

I don’t want to walk through this maze of dank, misty streets to get to the station, I’ll take the water-bus. Meanwhile I turn on my phone that has been off since Friday afternoon, the trickle of incoming messages begins:

'You received an unanswered call ...', 'Voicemail message ...', ten, then twenty messages like that.

'Where are you?', ‘Call me, love', ‘Darling, do you love me?', ‘Dearest do you want to leave me?', 'I’ve called you 100 times, why do you not answer?', 'Why have you turned off your phone?' This is the most funny one, of course, if I’d turned off the phone, how could I answer? Poor Vio, he’s completely lost in love. But it’s the rule: when we have an engagement we can’t take any phone with us, so we can’t be tracked - it's always a high risk mission.

Last night’s snowfall has left a light layer like cotton wool all over Venice, covering the rooftops, the moored boats are encrusted with a layer of ice, there’s a freezing fog, today the sun has not made his way through the blanket of mist and cloud that has enwrapped Venice, and now it is almost dark.

I call Vio, he does not answer, the digital voice announces, ‘ The number you have called is currently unavailable, please trya gain later.' Not even a voicemail option to leave a message, crap!

Because the mist on the water has risen up to half the height of the buildings, the Grand Canal is now like a tunnel, it reminds me of those science fiction stories, it looks like a worm-hole, a space-time tunnel - and I too feel like I'm engulfed in a yet stranger space-time, an alien dimension.

On the train that takes me to Mestre I call Vio again. It’s useless, I turn off so as not to hear the useless message. Now it's a big problem: I do not have a car, I do not have a driver's licence because they have withdrawn it, there is no convenient public transport to get me home. I have no supplies in at home, I could not go to the market on Saturday. I'll have to look for a store, buy something, then I'll call a taxi.

I arrive just in time, it is right on closing time for the shop, I sneak in:

'Miss we are closing ...'

'Be nice, I haven’t got anything in the fridge, just let me grab something, I'll hurry...'

I snatch a packet of pasta, a bag of apples, a packet of biscuits, a couple of cans, one tuna, one meat. At the cash-desk they are kind, I’m the last customer.

I try one last time to call Vio, who knows if he’s turned on his cursed phone ... bugger!

In a few minutes the taxi gets me home, I climb the stairs of the house, I open the door. Before I can put on the light I tread on something lying on the floor. I press the light-switch. It's an envelope, not thick, about 40 by 30 centimeters, someone has slipped it through the gap between the floor and the wood of the door. I put down my bags and pick it up, open it, it seems to contain photographs... it's about to hit my heart... it's me, completely naked, chained to the iron bed in the basement of the Countess's house...

The phone rings, I look apprehensively at the caller display - Vio, oh Vio ... at last!

'Hello Vio ...'

‘The undead walks again! It's three days I've been looking for you, where had you disappeared?'

'I had to go away for... for work.'

'For work ... for work ... you don’t give a thought for me... and why couldn’t you warn me?'

'You know when we're at work we have to keep the phone off ...'

'Always an excuse to do what you want ...'

'Vio, let's not bicker over the phone, come here and we can make peace.'

'If so I’ll come immediately.'

At last I’ve got the cat in the bag - but this time I really need him, I'm afraid, someone has surely been spying on me, they know where I live, they’ve got the photos of me ... Yes, I’d better hide them well before he arrives, if he finds them ...

The bell rings, before opening I speak through the intercom:

'Who is it?'

'Vio.'

'Come up!'

'Hello.'

He's holding a rose, where did he steal it? It's winter, and the shops are all closed at this time.

'You're kind to give me this flower ...'

'Are you sure you deserve it?'

'Go on with your jealousy ...'

I place the rose in a tall, narrow vase.

'Have you already had dinner?'

'No.'

'Then I'll prepare something ...'

Two spaghetti dishes with tomato sauce and basil.

'Vio, will you sleep here at my place tonight?'

'I don’t need to ask him twice ...'

I have a bodyguard, even if I don’t know how dangerous the enemy is.

Back
Top Bottom