Pirate / Naval On Deck Flogging Artwork

• Thread starter Deleted member 24704 (was Darkstar)
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Life was boring on board ship, there had to be some entertainment. Especially like number 4 being dragged through town (presumably) after the whipping on ship. The public would have heard the screams of the whipping then seen the result

Public corporal punishment is a hell of deterrent. Why do you think Singapore has the lowest crime rate in the world for a major city (and bests most countries too)?

A good whipping will make you think twice about not putting that cup in the trash and if you KNOW you are going to be whipped if you don't, guess where that cup is going if you have half a brain.

kisses

willowfall

Public corporal punishment is a hell of deterrent. Why do you think Singapore has the lowest crime rate in the world for a major city (and bests most countries too)?

A good whipping will make you think twice about not putting that cup in the trash and if you KNOW you are going to be whipped if you don't, guess where that cup is going if you have half a brain.

kisses

willowfall
I suspect the fact that they do the corporal punishment in public is an even greater deterrent - everyone will see you being punished. It's not like you're out of sight of most people, and then you get to live with the humiliation of knowing that your friends, family, and employer all know and saw you getting caned or whipped. It's not like you get to just slip quietly into the police station to pay a fine. The living with it afterwards is as bad or worse than the actual caning.

kisses

willowfall
For mine, and I did 3 years of Criminology as part of my long ago, and probably obsolete now, studies, the biggest variable associated with a reduction in crime was a perceived increase in the likelihood of detection. Other variables had a more tenuous connection.

Note, I said 'perceived' .... you don't have to actually empirically increase the likelihood of detection, you just have to make criminals think it's highly likely they'll get caught.

For mine, and I did 3 years of Criminology as part of my long ago, and probably obsolete now, studies, the biggest variable associated with a reduction in crime was a perceived increase in the likelihood of detection. Other variables had a more tenuous connection.

Note, I said 'perceived' .... you don't have to actually empirically increase the likelihood of detection, you just have to make criminals think it's highly likely they'll get caught.

Well of course you have to believe there is a high degree of probability of being caught as an initial deterrent. And of course pre-high technology societies there was less of a chance of being caught than there is today.

And those studies were conducted on a current high technology society but let's step not too far back into America's past.

Despite being a town with low detection capabilities and a population heavily armed the infamous Dodge City often went years without a murder or gun crime being committed within city limits. And they were able to enforce a no carrying guns within city limits on a heavily armed population. Why is that? It certainly wasn't the ability to forensically analyze a crime.

So now we are down to a more "moral" social structure than today OR 'Hey the last guy who did that wound up hanging in the town square very quickly after conviction. I don't want to be the next guy" deterrence.

The problem with modern social studies is they are conducted on modern western liberal societies and tend to discount what they are looking to discount.

So now back to Singapore, they have a high probability of detecting your crime but is it any higher than say, LA\SF\DC\NYC\London\Paris\etc? No they don't. Yet they couple the ability to detect with public corporal punishment and they wind up with a much lower crime rate than virtually anywhere in the world.

Occam's Razor trumps "social science".

kisses

willowfall

Tied naked up against the grating. My breasts crushed between it and my body with every stroke of the lash.

Knowing I'm going to be gang raped afterwards and then sold into slavery in some far off colony.

Yeah, that's the stuff fantasies can be made up of.

kisses

willowfall
Hmm…sounds like a wonderful time lol.

Hmm…sounds like a wonderful time

Lol, I actually was in a "pirate camp" weekend where during a game I drew a card that said 'Flogged by Order of the Captain'. They did it with my shirt on (and they had no idea of my BDSM life style) so being tied to a "grating" (made up of those fencing screens you see in stores) and flogged is something that HAS happened to me.

kisses

willowfall

Lol, I actually was in a "pirate camp" weekend where during a game I drew a card that said 'Flogged by Order of the Captain'. They did it with my shirt on (and they had no idea of my BDSM life style) so being tied to a "grating" (made up of those fencing screens you see in stores) and flogged is something that HAS happened to me.

kisses

willowfall
I assume a good time was had by all? Though it is a shame they left your shirt on lol.

I assume a good time was had by all? Though it is a shame they left your shirt on lol.

It's a fun group and honestly I liked learning about fighting with the weapons and tactics used in boarding during the age of sail more but you can't play with weapons 24 x 7.

Well considering my oldest brother was part of the group (it's his fencing academy) there was no chance in hell I was going topless. That would have been a little too uncomfortable for both of us. ;)

Not mention a couple of guys in the group who have made passes at me that I have NO interest in, The last thing any of them needed was more incentive.

kisses

willowfall

It's a fun group and honestly I liked learning about fighting with the weapons and tactics used in boarding during the age of sail more but you can't play with weapons 24 x 7.

Well considering my oldest brother was part of the group (it's his fencing academy) there was no chance in hell I was going topless. That would have been a little too uncomfortable for both of us. ;)

Not mention a couple of guys in the group who have made passes at me that I have NO interest in, The last thing any of them needed was more incentive.

kisses

willowfall
Both are equally fair points. Must have been fun learning to use the cutlass though!

Both are equally fair points. Must have been fun learning to use the cutlass though!

The techniques used are quite different from most other swords as you don't fence with it (a falchion or a late infantry hanger would be very much the same). It is more like wrestling and then chopping\cutting when the opportunity arises. And there are no overhead cuts (if you've ever been aboard a sail powered warship on a gun deck you'd understand why).

Cutlass drills were still conducted by the US Navy until WWI and the British Navy didn't withdraw them from ship's inventories until just before WWII.

Mean nasty weapon, I love it.

kisses

willowfall

Life was boring on board ship, there had to be some entertainment. Especially like number 4 being dragged through town (presumably) after the whipping on ship. The public would have heard the screams of the whipping then seen the result
Those are Kindinov's illustrations of one of the great nautical flogging stories -- arguably the best flogging story: King Diocletian's "Miss Berkeley's Voyage". The story was originally posted by the author here on CF, and the post linked below has a consolidated PDF of the full story illustrated by Kindinov:

After a lot of work from Kindinov, I now have an illustrated version of the story.

Those are Kindinov's illustrations of one of the great nautical flogging stories -- arguably the best flogging story: King Diocletian's "Miss Berkeley's Voyage". The story was originally posted by the author here on CF, and the post linked below has a consolidated PDF of the full story illustrated by Kindinov:

I have been waiting patiently in this thread to see a pirate flogging someone’s naval. To date, nothing!

Oh, wait, ....

Never mind. Ignore this post.

Back
Top Bottom