Skeleton Island(1)

• Thread starter Deleted member 16639
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
D

Deleted member 16639

Dear friends

I wrote a new crucifixion-story. The first “translation” was done by google(ugly)translate and then “polished” by our great Eulaia to make the thing ready to read.

Thank you Eulalia.

I hope you will enjoy the story.

Skeleton Island (1)

Outside the house someone is singing. It must be Jennifer, my four-year-old granddaughter. Her bright clear voice carries far across the heath. She’s singing one of our old songs. Whenever I hear such a song, it touches my heart.

I interrupt my knitting and heave a silent sigh. I look down at my bare feet. The right is resting on the left, that’s how I usually sit while I’m knitting, ever since then ... since our unbelievable voyage ... the journey to Skeleton Island, so many years ago ...

The song is over. Little Jennifer comes to me and takes me by the hand. My little granddaughter wants to walk with her grandma to see the sheep grazing in the meadow. I put my knitting aside and give Jenny her coat. I throw a warm scarf over my shoulders. I don’t put on any shoes, I rarely do, only when it's really cold. Even at fifty-seven, I don´t get cold, I want to feel Mother Nature under my bare soles.

The wind blows in from the sea. Jennifer skips across the green grass. She runs to the sheep on the upper pasture. I follow her without any hurry and enjoy the my little granddaughter’s happiness. We have good land, there’s good pasture, and behind the wall salad and pot vegetables are growing.

I spin the wool of our sheep by hand and dye them with natural colours. People pay good money for our wool, and the distillery in the nearby town pays well for our rye, an ancient variety that grows only here by the sea. The whiskey from here is very popular in the UK. People will use it for a toast to the new century.

1900. A new century. When we sailed out to look at the solar eclipse, this date was still far away. It was the year 1861 ...

At the upper wall, which separates the pasture from the sea, wild blackberries grow on the heath. They’re almost ripe, I'll make jam with them. Jenny loves blackberry jam, so do all our other grandchildren.

As I pass our well, I feel the familiar gentle pulling in my bare feet. It comes from the scars. Since I’ve had those scars, I’ve been able to feel water beneath the ground. Since that day on Skeleton Island I’ve detected subterranean water-channels. Many people have already asked me to look for water on their land. I don’t need a forked branch or bent wires, my bare feet can feel much more reliably where there is water underground.

People sometimes call me a witch, but a white witch, a good witch. Others, especially the older people, call me a saint, because of my scars, which are still visible now I’m fifty-seven.
None of this is true. I’m neither a witch nor a saint, I am simply a woman who has a sense for nature. That's all.

A little six-year-old girl is walking around the upper wall, it’s Kathrin, the third daughter of my third daughter Leah.
"Grandma!", she calls. "Grandma! Just look at what I’ve found on the beach!" She presents me with a piece of bone, “Is it a unicorn?"
I smile at Kathrin. "Who knows?” I say mysteriously, "It could be, Kathy."

Ethan comes around the wall, Barry our faithful dog is with him. Ethan has Coleen on his shoulders, our three-year-old granddaughter - the fifth daughter of our fifth daughter, Megan. We have only daughters, seven in number: Anna, Molly, Leah, Ciara, Megan, Mary and Maisie. That´s another reason why people think I’m a witch - seven daughters. No sons. And our daughters only have daughters too.

Ethan comes to me. He sets Coleen down on her feet, and she immediately walks to her cousin to stroke the sheep. Ethan kisses me. He points to my feet with a wink: "In contact with Mother Earth again?" His smile is warm. His eyes reflect the warmth. "Even as a young girl you were always barefoot."

He puts his arm around me and together we watch our granddaughters as they stroke the sheep. Ethan is the best man in the world, I couldn’t have gotten a better one. We have seven magnificent daughters who live not far away and visit us regularly and trust us with our grandchildren.

Ethan looks out to sea, "The wind’s dropped, I can smell fog - it'll be a really thick pea-souper, just like thirty-eight years ago, when we left Patrick's boat to watch the solar eclipse."
I suddenly shudder. Ethan is thinking about it too ... that distant day ...

---------------

It was in 1861. We were eight people: Eileen and Finn, Saoirse and Liam, Margaret and Patrick, who had just gotten his first boat, and Ethan and me. We were young, so young! I was nineteen and Ethan twenty-two. All the others were around our age. We’d known each other since childhood and always stayed together. We came together in our childhood, and the couples stayed together and married when they grew up. This is how it goes on the coast. One chooses very early, pretty well by fifteen, and what once comes together remains together for a lifetime.

We had sailed on Patrick’s boat out to the islands. On one we wanted to organize a picnic and watch the predicted eclipse of the sun. We had blackened panes of glass with us.

At first everything went well. We sailed out in a stiff breeze. The small fishing-smack Patrick had inherited from his uncle made good speed. But when we were close to the small islands, the wind suddenly stopped and a dense fog came up. And then the current drove us off-course. That's how it must have been...

Even today I see Margaret’s face clearly before my inner eyes. She was disappointed: "What a washout! Now we can forget the eclipse. Why did this stupid fog have to come up?"
And Eileen's big eyes: "Let’s pray the current won’t drive us onto any rocks!"
"Or to Skeleton Island," joked Patrick.
Eileen gave him a thump, "Don’t joke about that!"

I had to resist a grin. Eileen was one of those who believed in Skeleton Island. Skeleton Island has been a spectre in the brains of the coastland people since ancient times. It was a mysterious, invisible island, hidden in the fog. There were wild cannibals there who attacked any ships, they ate the sailors and pulled the ships out of the sea to make firewood. No one who hit the shore of Skeleton Island ever came back. Right above the beach, it was said, the dunes were peppered with human bones, there was even a fence made of human bones.

Well, that was queer to begin with, how could anyone know this, when supposedly no-one ever returned from Skeleton Island?

Yes, people disappeared out at sea here. The guilt for that lay with the treacherous current between the outlying islands, which drove the ships against cliffs where they were wrecked. But Skeleton Island was nothing but an old myth.

"Be quiet, folks!” Liam ordered suddenly. He was listening intently. Saoirse, clinging to him, opened her eyes wide: "I can hear waves hitting a beach!"
"There's an island right ahead of us," Patrick said. He reached for the tiller, "Get ready. We'll be ashore right away. "
"I hope there aren’t any cliffs," said Eileen anxiously.
"It’s a shallow, sandy beach," said Patrick, "I can hear it clearly, it’s the sound of waves breaking on a shallow beach. "

He’d be right, after a few minutes our small ship ran aground on a sandy beach. Patrick threw out the anchor to secure the boat. There was still thick fog.

"Where are we?" asked Finn.

"This could be one of the bird islands. They all have a flat sandy beach on the side facing the mainland, and rugged rocks on the ocean side. "
"Let's take a look," said Ethan. He jumped into the water, "Throw me a rope, I'll haul the boat up on the beach."

I didn’t want to wait, I held my skirt up and jumped barefoot into the shallow water. Margaret, Saoirse, and Eileen did the same. Soon we were all standing on the shallow, sandy beach.

"How warm it is," said Eileen, still standing in the water, "Even the sea is warm." She came to us and pointed to a gently rising bank, "Look at the grass, how green it’s growing. Out here, on the outlying islands, it's cold! Too cold for such lush green grass."

The dense fog gradually thinned, giving us a clearer view of the island. The beach rose gently. Green grass grew everywhere, and there were rocks poking up from the meadows.

"Red!" cried Patrick, "The rocks are red! How can that be? The rocks on the islands are normally grey."

I think it was at that moment we all felt a bad feeling, a feeling that things were not right. There was something wrong with this strange island. It was too warm, the grass grew too luxuriantly, and the rocks had a colour that isn’t found in this world.

"Let's go up there and look over the island," Eileen suggested, "The fog’s lifting. If we can find a good point where we can observe the eclipse, we can unload the picnic items from the boat. If not, we'll go to another island."

We crossed the gentle slope over the grass. The ground felt warm and soft under my bare soles, too warm for the season. The uneasy feeling in my stomach was still growing. The dense, soft grass, the warm water, the pleasantly mild air, the inviting-looking island, all seemed to me like a trap, I wanted to ask my friends to go back to the boat and set off for another island. But they already had a head start and were running up the meadow. Above, our path passed between two towering red rocks. It looked like an ominous gate. I hurried to catch up with the others. When I caught up with them, the fog had almost disappeared. That's how we saw it immediately.

Margaret gave a startled cry. The rest of us stood still and silent, staring at what was spread out before us.
"Skeleton Island," Eileen whispered, "for God's sake! We’re on Skeleton Island!"

No-one disagreed. In front of us the countryside fell away gently. The interior of the island was a huge hollow valley, densely covered by green grass. Here and there stood clumps of trees. It looked heavenly. But right in front of us was nothing paradisiacal. Before us was a fence - a fence made of human bones. We saw ribs and leg-bones beside arm-bones and spines. On some of the bones protruding above the grass were placed human skulls.

"Skeleton Island!" Eileen whimpered, "The island really exists! We've got to get away! At once!"

No one disagreed, I think we were all frightened to death. We turned around to run back to the beach, but the path between the two red rocks was blocked. There were people, people like I'd never seen before.

They were wearing coarse-woven garments, and their faces were painted white with lime. Every one of them, man, woman, and child, wore this white layer on their faces, their naked legs, and their arms. They had little human bones braided into their long hair. They looked like demons that had sprung from hell.

A huge man came forward: "The Great Goddess has heard our prayer!"

He spoke in the old language, which we all still knew. Our grandparents still spoke it. Even at the time we younger ones didn´t use it, but we understood what the man said.

"The great goddess has heard our prayer," repeated the man, spreading out his arms, "Long live the great goddess!"

"Long live the Great Goddess!" cried everyone. There were around fifty people.

The children stared at us with wide eyes. There was hunger in those eyes, those children were gaunt, even the adults were thin.

"At last, no mushrooms and roots any more," cried an elderly woman, "meat! Fresh meat for us hungry people!”

Eileen, who was standing beside me, gave out a whine like a frightened dog. "They want to eat us," she whimpered. "They’ll kill us and eat us! Just like the old stories said! They want to eat us up!"

As if the savages had understood her, they came around us. Any resistance would be futile, there were too many, they overwhelmed us. With ropes braided from plant-fibres, they bound our hands behind our backs, then they drove us down to the middle of the island.

I was afraid as never before in my life. My heart was beating so hard that I feared it would burst out of my chest any moment. I was scared to death, I knew I had to die. We looked at each other.

Why did we come to this island? I wondered, why did we go ashore? It was all so suspicious! The warm water, the mild air, the verdant grass, the strange red rocks. Oh, why didn’t insist on going back to the boat? Now it was too late.

All the terrible legends about Skeleton Island were true. There was this island hidden in the fog and there was the cannibal tribe on the island. The cannibals would eat us.

Down in the middle of the big hollow was the village of the man-eaters. There were simple stone houses, the roofs thatched with straw. When we arrived, more people came out of the houses. Now there were about seventy people around us.

The leader of our captors us came forward, "See what the Great Goddess gives us! Look at them all! Meat! Nutritious meat! It will make us strong and let our children grow! Long live the Great Goddess! "

"Long live the Great Goddess!" cried the people in the chorus.

I stood next to Ethan and tried to lean against him. I was about to break down. My knees were trembling with fear. I knew we were going to die here and now. These cannibals would kill us and devour us.

"I love you Ethan," I said. "I want you to know that."

He looked at me with his dear eyes: "I love you, too, Amy. There was never any other girl for me. May God be merciful to our souls. "

The leader of the cannibals stood before us: "God?" He looked in our eyes: "You are Christians? You worship the God who sacrificed his Son on the cross? "A strange glow flared up in his eyes. "I shall make you a suggestion. We need to eat flesh to get strength. We will kill and eat you all. Unless ... " he paused, " unless one of you sacrifices herself voluntarily. It has to be a woman and she must go the way of her God. If a woman goes voluntarily to the cross, the power of her flesh, which will pass into us when we eat it, is ten times as strong."

He looked at us with cruel eyes: "Choose! Either one of you sacrifices herself and the others will be released after her death, or you all will die."

I felt a terrible, piercing pain in my heart. It was as if I were being penetrated there by a red-hot iron. There was only fear and pain. But among these feelings there was something else: love. Love for Ethan and my friends.

Amy, you'll die either way, I said to myself. But if you voluntarily sacrifice yourself, Ethan and the others will live.

I took a deep breath and stepped out before the leader of the cannibals. "I bring the sacrifice. I shall go voluntarily to the cross." My fear was growing I was shivering uncontrollably, but my voice remained firm: "Take me. Crucify me. Eat my meat. And let my friends go free!"

I saw something like respect in the eyes of the leader. He nodded to me, "That's how it shall be. You sacrifice yourself and your friends will be free. Immediately after your death we will lead them to their ship and give them back their freedom. Normally we smash the boats and use them for firewood. But because you are ready to make the sacrifice, we will return your ship to your friends. "

He made a gesture, "Bind the others!" He gave me a look, under which I felt cold. "We don’t want them to disturb the ceremony. They will stand still at the stakes."

Willy-nilly, my friends were led to a number of stakes that were driven into the ground, and tied to them.

It had become warmer. Although I was half mad with fear, I wondered, how could it be so warm on one of these outlying islands? You will not freeze on the cross, Amy, a soft voice said in my head, you will not feel cold on the cross. Don’t fear catching cold!

I had to force myself not to laugh hysterically. I was awaiting a terrible death, and in my head a small voice was cracking jokes about catching a cold!

The leader came back to me. He cut my wrist-bonds with a knife. "Undress, sacrifice! You have to do it yourself, so that the Great Goddess will see that you are giving yourself up voluntarily. You must place your body on the cross, too."

I obeyed. Before my courage could desert me, I took off all my clothes. With trembling hands I laid them all down together carefully, as if I’d be picking them back up in a few hours time.

The leader of the cannibals waved his hand, "Over there!"

I followed his instructions. In the middle of the village square I saw a cross lying. It hadn’t been there when we’d arrived in the village, how could the savages have prepared it so quickly? Slowly I approached. I felt the ground under my bare soles with unprecedented intensity. The light seemed to be brighter, and all the colours seemed more intense and powerful.

Grass stroked my naked toes as I walked to the cross. My Cross. The cross that would carry me. I saw the wood. It was old wood - wood which had come from a ship. A mast and a yard had been assembled into a perfect tau-cross, a cross of ancient wood that would carry a young girl.

A few people were standing at the cross. They waited patiently. One of them had a hammer in his right hand, in the left he was bearing nails. When I saw the nails, my heart nearly stopped. They were roughly forged, huge nails. They would soon be driven through my hands and feet.

Next to the post of the cross lay a small triangular wooden block in the grass, a little pedestal for my feet. The cannibals will wait until I lie down on the cross, then they’ll nail it in the right position on the upright to nail my feet on it – such were my thoughts.

The little pedestal would be inclined downwards. This wouldn’t give a lot of support for my feet, and my whole body-weight would press down onto the nails that hold my feet - like the crucifixes in our churches. I shivered uncontrollably, my fear grew into an abyss.

On the right and left, ropes were fixed to the cross beam. That’s how they’ll raise the cross, Amy, said the small voice in my head, your cross. They will pull you up and wedge the cross into the hole in the ground. Do you see the hole, Amy? There’s where the cross will be placed, the cross that will carry you. There your young life will end, in terror and in agony.

I turned around and looked into the eyes of my friends, one by one, Ethan last. I love you, I wanted to say, but I couldn´t speak a word. My eyes fell on my neatly folded clothes on the earth, lying there as if I’d planned to get dressed again, as if I’d just taken them off to enjoy a dip in the sea and then put them on again. I would never wear those clothes again. I would never wear clothes. I would die naked.

At that moment I felt a tremendous fear. I was sick with fear. I began to tremble. My teeth were chattering. I do not want to die, I thought. I cannot do this!

But then you’ll all die, said the little voice in my head, you’ll all be killed and gnawed and gobbled up - you too Amy!

The savages were standing still beside the cross. They were in no hurry. They were waiting silently, like spiders in their web.

Do it, I said to myself. Do it right now before, before your bravery gives out!

And so I did it.

Skeleton Island (2)

I walked up to the cross with a firm stride, I knelt down without hesitation. Quick Amy! Hurry! You must do it quickly, otherwise your courage will leave you and you won’t be able to do it! I sat back, then laid myself down on the cross. I never would have dreamed that I could do this without hesitating. I’ve volunteered for crucifixion. I felt the wood under my shoulders and my behind. I spread out my arms. My heart was beating, I was trembling with fear. I was hoping for a miracle that would save me, but I knew very well that such a miracle would not happen. Strong hands gripped my wrists and ankles. Now there was no turning back.

The savages tugged my arms wide, they pulled my naked body into position. My breathing was rapid, my heart beat wildly, my fear had increased to icy horror. Under my feet I felt the touch of wood. They were holding the footrest under my soles. I heard the hammer nailing it onto the cross. The hammer was pounding, the wood under my naked body vibrated under the blows. I could almost feel the nails going into the wood.

Right, Amy, said a little voice inside my head, other nails are going to be driven through your hands and feet! These nails will go straight into the wood of the cross after they have pierced your hands and feet. They will nail you to the cross Amy. You will be nailed. You will be crucified, Amy! Crucified!

I couldn’t suppress a whimper, I was so scared! The hands held me strongly, they didn’t let me loose for a moment. There was no escape. I saw a man placing one of those terrible large nails onto my left hand - not on the wrist, but not in the middle of the palm either, he set the tip of the nail beside the ball of my thumb, in the centre. I saw him raise his hammer, and I closed my eyes.

The hammer hit the nail head and drove the nail through my hand. Nothing had prepared me for this pain. It hurt, it hurt so cruelly! I opened my mouth and screamed. The man was already driving the nail through my hand, I could feel the iron forcing through my flesh as it pierced into me.

My body was writhing with pain, I arched my back, I shouted, I could not help it. The nail penetrated through the back of my hand and the pounding hammer drove it into the wood. I felt the head of the nail reach my hand and press it against the wood of the cross. My hand was immovable, united with the wood.

The man stood up and walked around the cross. I had no time to adjust to the pain, he had already placed the second nail beside the ball of my thumb in the base of my right hand, and he began to hammer the nail in. The sound of his hammering mingled with my shrill screams. Although I was half mad with pain, I noticed quite a difference in the hammering noises.

As long as the hammer drove the gruesome nail through my hand, it was a soft, light tapping, it sounded like "tick tick tick". As soon as the nail passed through my hand and was driven into the wood underneath, the hammer’s beats were dull but loud, "Tock-Tock-Tock". All this was accompanied by incredible pain. How could such a little thing hurt so much? I was yelling, crying, I couldn’t stop myself..

The hammer-beat went on. No-one responded to my cries of pain. The whole cross vibrated under these firm blows which bound me inseparably to the wood. I would never get away, not in this life.

The man stood up. He marched to my feet. I glanced a little to the right and left. The hands that were holding my wrists had disappeared. They were no longer necessary. The nails were holding me tight. I saw the huge nail heads sticking out of my hands, I felt the pain of the nailing.

Around my feet the pressure of the hands that held me strengthened. My right foot was raised. The left one was pressed firmly against the sloping edge of the pedestal. My right foot was brought over the left and placed on top of it. Just like it looks in the church, I thought, one foot placed over the other, and both feet nailed with a single nail.

I tried to prepare myself for the pain of the nailing, but I couldn’t. I could feel the huge iron nail set right in the middle of my right foot - a little prick, nothing more. I looked down and saw the hand pressing the nail onto my bare foot. I saw the other hand that lifted the hammer.

The hammer went down on the nail, “Tick!” So soft was the sound, but it seemed like thunder. Horrible pain swept through me as the nail penetrated my right foot. With further blows the man drove the nail through both my feet. I felt the iron driving through my right foot. Every blow with the hammer forced it deeper into my foot. Every blow with the hammer hurt terribly. Every blow with the hammer snatched a shrill cry of pain from me.

I writhed in pain, I bent my back, I cried, I yelled. The nail went through my right foot, “Tick-Tick tick.” It reached the sole and drilled through with constant hammer-strokes. Another explosion of pain! I shrieked.

Then the nail bored into my left foot, I could feel it digging into my flesh as it was driven through my foot, and the tip approached the wood on which my foot was resting. “Tick-Tick-Tick.” The hammering was soft, my screams were loud.

Again the nail drove through my sensitive sole, the left one this time. I shrieked. The soft “Tick-Tick-Tick” changed into the loud “Tock-Tock-Tock.” The wood below my body vibrated as the nail was driven in with hard hammer-blows.

The head of the nail reached the top of my right foot. Two more firm punches and my feet were pressed against the wood. The hammering ended. My feet were nailed to the wood. I was now completely nailed. I was inseparably connected with the wood of the cross. There was no escape for me.

The man with a hammer rose and stepped back. People were standing around me looking down at me. I was lying on the cross, crying. I was completely helpless. The nails held me tight.

I noticed that someone had tied ropes onto the horizontal crossbars to the right and left. People took the ropes and started pulling. The cross rose and I went up with it, I was lifted up.

Then the cross was erect. I looked down and saw that the upright had slipped into the hole in the ground. There two men hammered wooden blocks in next to the shaft to secure it in an upright position so that the cross would not fall.

I did not register much of it, because when the cross was being raised, the pain came over me like a predator. Pain took my breath away. Now I was hanging with my whole body’s weight on the nails. The pain was indescribable. I screamed, I shrieked from the cross, no- one could bear this pain. I shrieked. I shouted. I sobbed. I had no control over my body.

My body was squirming on the wood like a worm on a fisherman’s hook. The horrible pain had taken control of me, I was twisting in convulsions on the cross. I howled. I shouted. I would have done anything to get away, really anything.

I was trembling all over, while my naked body was writhing on the cross. I reared up. I danced a dance of torment on the wood. I began to sweat. I could not keep my body still for one second. The terrible pain made me squirm and struggle. I thrust with my legs, then I sank down again. I panted and screamed. I was quivering on the cross.

Through a veil of tears I saw the savages down there in the meadow. They were looking up at me, very interested in my pain.

I tried to keep still - not to wriggle so violently, so that the pain would cease. I slumped down. I didn’t know what was more terrible: the pain in my hands, where almost my whole body-weight hung, or the pain in my feet that supported the rest of my weight. Depending on how I moved, the pain was different. But the pain was always unbearable, I couldn’t keep still for more than ten seconds. The pain pushed me up. I began to squirm again on the cross. I was writhing again, I couldn’t help it.

When I squirmed on the cross, the pain was even more unbearable, but as soon as I kept still, the pain also grew, and drove me up again and forced me to wriggle and writhe. It was terrible. I shouted. I howled. I sobbed. The impossible pain completely filled me. There was no escape, not even for one single second.

I had not thought it would hurt so badly. Nothing had prepared me for these pains. I was unable to cope with this incredible pain. I’d been hanging on the cross for only a few minutes, but my will was already broken, totally broken.

In the books you can read how the victims endure with pride. I could not feel it. There was no pride, only pain and horror, only fear and endless agony. I couldn’t bear this agony with pride. The cross left no place for pride or courage. The cross had broken me, it had turned me into a howling piece of flesh that was trembling on the wood. There was nothing left of me but a screaming, begging lump.

"Let me down! Oh, please, let me down," I implored, tearfully, "I can’t stand it any longer! I can’t stand a moment longer! Take me off the cross!"

Let them kill me, hit my head with a stone! Let them roast me and devour me, but not this! Not this!

“Please stop it! Let it end! Let me down!”

The savages showed no reaction. They listened to my crying, and they listened to my begging, but they did nothing. It seemed to please them that I was screaming and begging. They watched attentively as I writhed on the cross. They would wait patiently until the cross brought me to death. And that could take a long time , a terribly long time still!

I tried somehow to support my body on the cross, striving to lean back against the wood. It didn’t work, I was hanging on three iron nails, almost hovering in front of the wood of the cross. The nails, which had been hammered through my hands and feet into the wood of the cross, stretched my naked body.

I danced on the nails, I danced in a universe of pure pain. I had never known there was such pain, and that pain was getting more and more by the minute. It grew stronger every minute, while I was writhing on the cross. Good God! No one can bear this pain!
I prayed for the grace of fainting, I prayed to lose consciousness to escape from these terrible torments. But I didn’t faint. I had to endure the gruesome torment fully conscious.

Trembling with my whole body, I hung on the cross. I cried without pausing, I sobbed. I whimpered. I howled, I panted and screamed. I danced on the nails, sometimes fast and wildly twisting, sometimes my tormented body performed a slow dance of agony. I could not keep still on the cross for a minute, it was no good, the pain was too terrible. I was hanging trembling on the cross, crying without any pause, sobbing, whimpering, howling like a dog, panting and screaming . I danced on the nails, sometimes fast, jerking about wildly, sometimes my tormented body moved in a slow ballet of agony. I could not keep still on the cross for one single moment, it was impossible, the pain was too terrible.

I saw the savages below on the grass, the unnaturally green grass. They were staring at me, enjoying my suffering. There was no compassion in those strange faces.

Then I looked across to my friends who were tied to the stakes. I saw how they were suffering with me. I saw the shock in their eyes. I saw Ethan, I saw love and despair in his eyes.

Oh my love! If only you knew! I’m carrying our unborn child under my heart. It will be a daughter, I can feel it. I cannot tell you, darling, I have to take the knowledge with me into death. I love you, Ethan, I love you as I’ve never loved anyone before. Our daughter will never be born. What a cruel fate.

Oh, why didn’t we flee when we found this island? We saw immediately that things were not right, that this place is unnatural, why didn’t we leave? Now it's too late. Only you others will leave Skeleton Island alive, not me.

Time went by. I did not know how long I had been writhing on the cross, I just knew it would take a long time more, many hours were still ahead of me. All I could do was to wish to die soon, though still I wanted to live. But I had to give myself - for my friends, for Ethan.

Somehow I managed to get a little calmer. I pressed my feet on the sloping platform and pushed myself up to relieve my arms. But what help was that? It just prolonged my suffering unnecessarily, it stretched out the horrible torment. I felt a desperation for which I had no words.

Then I began to squirm again on the cross. The savages watched as I danced with pain, they listened to my moaning, my wheezing, my sobbing. I was howling, a constant keening of pain, I could not be quiet.

I looked down at my nailed feet, they hurt horribly. I remembered how I had danced at Beltain when I was nine, dressed as a flower girl, I’d danced barefoot on the grass with other girls of my age. I would never dance barefoot in the grass anymore ...

It became dark in my eyes, or so it seemed to me. What? Is death coming to rescue me?

Down below, the cannibals were becoming agitated, they were looking all around anxiously. Then I looked up at the sky and saw that the sun was eclipsing.

The solar eclipse! It was because of the solar eclipse we’d sailed out to the islands. Suddenly I felt new hope. Maybe the darkening sun could help me?

I straightened myself up on the cross, even though that doubled my agony.

"A ghrian mathair mhòr, Great mother sun!" I cried in the old language. "Mhathair mhòr, cluinn do nighean! Mother sun, hear your daughter! Faic dè a tha iad a deanamh le do’n nighean fhèin! See what they’re doing to your daughter! Faic, tha mi a bheith air m’ìobradh! Behold, I am to be sacrificed. Tionndaidh d’aodann air falbh do’n aiteam seo, a mhathair! Turn away your face from these people, mother! Gluais iad de dh’fhàbhair, Remove them from your favour! Sgàil d’aodann! Shade your face!"

My voice shrieked loudly over the square.

And the sun was darkened.

The savages began to scream. They threw themselves to the ground, howling. They shrieked with fear.

"She's extinguishing the sun!" someone yelled, "The girl has made the sun go out!"

It was getting darker. Suddenly the birds began to sing, as if it were early morning.

"We will die!"

"We're damned!"

"We'll never see the sun again!"

"Away with her! Take her down from the cross! She has to go! Send her away!"

Like in a trance, I perceived that the savages lying the cross down on the ground. I half-saw them pulling the nails out of my hands with a forked bar. The same thing happened to my feet.

They've set me free! Oh dear God, they're letting me go! I won't have to die. Thankyou God! I felt an unspeakable relief.

Then my friends were there. They lifted me up.

"My clothes!" I stammered, "Don’t forget my clothes!"

Then it was black before my eyes.

I woke up on the boat. We were out at sea and sailing towards the coast. My hands and feet were bandaged with pieces of old cloth. Ethan leaned over me, "Welcome back to life, sweetheart. You saved us all."

I looked into his dear eyes, "Have we really escaped, Ethan?"

Ethan nodded. “The savages let us go. They were afraid the sun would disappear forever." He smiled, “Good that you thought of the eclipse, honey."

"I did it for our child," I said.

Ethan turned pale: "Our child?"

I nodded, "I’ve been carrying it under my heart for three months. It will be a daughter." ---------------

She actually turned out to be a daughter. I can't just feel water underground, I also know whether a woman will give birth to a son or a daughter. Another reason why I am sometimes called a witch. I don´t care.

My wounds healed well, but scars remained. I was back in my life, along with Ethan. We got married before the birth of our daughter.

No-one ever talks about that day of the solar eclipse. People act as if we'd never gone out to the islands. People don’t want to hear anything about Skeleton Island, they are afraid of that island in the fog. I can well understand them, I too don't speak about Skeleton Island. But there’s a reason why I’m thinking of it today: tomorrow there will be a solar eclipse.

Something strange has happened. Just a few minutes ago my third daughter, Leah, came along. She told me that she found her daughter Kathrin outside in the early morning, leaning by the house wall. She was wearing only a linen shirt, and standing with her arms spread out.

"I asked her what she was doing," Leah said, "she said, Mum, tonight I dreamt that I went with my friends in the fishing boat out to the islands to watch the solar eclipse. We were stranded on an eerie island inhabited by man-eaters. They wanted to kill us all, but then I volunteered, I offered myself to be sacrificed to save my friends. I let myself be nailed on a cross by the cannibals. I almost died, but the solar eclipse came and when the savages saw the sun disappear, they got frightened and they took me off the cross and we were allowed to leave the island freely."

"Did you ever hear of such a thing?" asked Leah, looking meaningfully at my bare feet.

"I never heard of it, Leah," I replied, "I experienced it." I grabbed her by the arm, "Come on my daughter! We must make sure our children watch the solar eclipse from the land! They must never sail out in that fishing smack!"

While we were walking to the nearby village, I thought about my granddaughter Kathrin. I am one of seven sisters. I have seven daughters and my daughters have only daughters. Perhaps there is something true in what people say: the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter ... maybe I am a little bit a witch.

And my granddaughter Kathrin as well. Who knows?

THE END

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeleton Island (2)

I walked up to the cross with a firm stride, I knelt down without hesitation. Quick Amy! Hurry! You must do it quickly, otherwise your courage will leave you and you won’t be able to do it! I sat back, then laid myself down on the cross. I never would have dreamed that I could do this without hesitating. I’ve volunteered for crucifixion. I felt the wood under my shoulders and my behind. I spread out my arms. My heart was beating, I was trembling with fear. I was hoping for a miracle that would save me, but I knew very well that such a miracle would not happen. Strong hands gripped my wrists and ankles. Now there was no turning back.

The savages tugged my arms wide, they pulled my naked body into position. My breathing was rapid, my heart beat wildly, my fear had increased to icy horror. Under my feet I felt the touch of wood. They were holding the footrest under my soles. I heard the hammer nailing it onto the cross. The hammer was pounding, the wood under my naked body vibrated under the blows. I could almost feel the nails going into the wood.

Right, Amy, said a little voice inside my head, other nails are going to be driven through your hands and feet! These nails will go straight into the wood of the cross after they have pierced your hands and feet. They will nail you to the cross Amy. You will be nailed. You will be crucified, Amy! Crucified!

I couldn’t suppress a whimper, I was so scared! The hands held me strongly, they didn’t let me loose for a moment. There was no escape. I saw a man placing one of those terrible large nails onto my left hand - not on the wrist, but not in the middle of the palm either, he set the tip of the nail beside the ball of my thumb, in the centre. I saw him raise his hammer, and I closed my eyes.

The hammer hit the nail head and drove the nail through my hand. Nothing had prepared me for this pain. It hurt, it hurt so cruelly! I opened my mouth and screamed. The man was already driving the nail through my hand, I could feel the iron forcing through my flesh as it pierced into me.

My body was writhing with pain, I arched my back, I shouted, I could not help it. The nail penetrated through the back of my hand and the pounding hammer drove it into the wood. I felt the head of the nail reach my hand and press it against the wood of the cross. My hand was immovable, united with the wood.

The man stood up and walked around the cross. I had no time to adjust to the pain, he had already placed the second nail beside the ball of my thumb in the base of my right hand, and he began to hammer the nail in. The sound of his hammering mingled with my shrill screams. Although I was half mad with pain, I noticed quite a difference in the hammering noises.

As long as the hammer drove the gruesome nail through my hand, it was a soft, light tapping, it sounded like "tick tick tick". As soon as the nail passed through my hand and was driven into the wood underneath, the hammer’s beats were dull but loud, "Tock-Tock-Tock". All this was accompanied by incredible pain. How could such a little thing hurt so much? I was yelling, crying, I couldn’t stop myself..

The hammer-beat went on. No-one responded to my cries of pain. The whole cross vibrated under these firm blows which bound me inseparably to the wood. I would never get away, not in this life.

The man stood up. He marched to my feet. I glanced a little to the right and left. The hands that were holding my wrists had disappeared. They were no longer necessary. The nails were holding me tight. I saw the huge nail heads sticking out of my hands, I felt the pain of the nailing.

Around my feet the pressure of the hands that held me strengthened. My right foot was raised. The left one was pressed firmly against the sloping edge of the pedestal. My right foot was brought over the left and placed on top of it. Just like it looks in the church, I thought, one foot placed over the other, and both feet nailed with a single nail.

I tried to prepare myself for the pain of the nailing, but I couldn’t. I could feel the huge iron nail set right in the middle of my right foot - a little prick, nothing more. I looked down and saw the hand pressing the nail onto my bare foot. I saw the other hand that lifted the hammer.

The hammer went down on the nail, “Tick!” So soft was the sound, but it seemed like thunder. Horrible pain swept through me as the nail penetrated my right foot. With further blows the man drove the nail through both my feet. I felt the iron driving through my right foot. Every blow with the hammer forced it deeper into my foot. Every blow with the hammer hurt terribly. Every blow with the hammer snatched a shrill cry of pain from me.

I writhed in pain, I bent my back, I cried, I yelled. The nail went through my right foot, “Tick-Tick tick.” It reached the sole and drilled through with constant hammer-strokes. Another explosion of pain! I shrieked.

Then the nail bored into my left foot, I could feel it digging into my flesh as it was driven through my foot, and the tip approached the wood on which my foot was resting. “Tick-Tick-Tick.” The hammering was soft, my screams were loud.

Again the nail drove through my sensitive sole, the left one this time. I shrieked. The soft “Tick-Tick-Tick” changed into the loud “Tock-Tock-Tock.” The wood below my body vibrated as the nail was driven in with hard hammer-blows.

The head of the nail reached the top of my right foot. Two more firm punches and my feet were pressed against the wood. The hammering ended. My feet were nailed to the wood. I was now completely nailed. I was inseparably connected with the wood of the cross. There was no escape for me.

The man with a hammer rose and stepped back. People were standing around me looking down at me. I was lying on the cross, crying. I was completely helpless. The nails held me tight.

I noticed that someone had tied ropes onto the horizontal crossbars to the right and left. People took the ropes and started pulling. The cross rose and I went up with it, I was lifted up.

Then the cross was erect. I looked down and saw that the upright had slipped into the hole in the ground. There two men hammered wooden blocks in next to the shaft to secure it in an upright position so that the cross would not fall.

I did not register much of it, because when the cross was being raised, the pain came over me like a predator. Pain took my breath away. Now I was hanging with my whole body’s weight on the nails. The pain was indescribable. I screamed, I shrieked from the cross, no- one could bear this pain. I shrieked. I shouted. I sobbed. I had no control over my body.

My body was squirming on the wood like a worm on a fisherman’s hook. The horrible pain had taken control of me, I was twisting in convulsions on the cross. I howled. I shouted. I would have done anything to get away, really anything.

I was trembling all over, while my naked body was writhing on the cross. I reared up. I danced a dance of torment on the wood. I began to sweat. I could not keep my body still for one second. The terrible pain made me squirm and struggle. I thrust with my legs, then I sank down again. I panted and screamed. I was quivering on the cross.

Through a veil of tears I saw the savages down there in the meadow. They were looking up at me, very interested in my pain.

I tried to keep still - not to wriggle so violently, so that the pain would cease. I slumped down. I didn’t know what was more terrible: the pain in my hands, where almost my whole body-weight hung, or the pain in my feet that supported the rest of my weight. Depending on how I moved, the pain was different. But the pain was always unbearable, I couldn’t keep still for more than ten seconds. The pain pushed me up. I began to squirm again on the cross. I was writhing again, I couldn’t help it.

When I squirmed on the cross, the pain was even more unbearable, but as soon as I kept still, the pain also grew, and drove me up again and forced me to wriggle and writhe. It was terrible. I shouted. I howled. I sobbed. The impossible pain completely filled me. There was no escape, not even for one single second.

I had not thought it would hurt so badly. Nothing had prepared me for these pains. I was unable to cope with this incredible pain. I’d been hanging on the cross for only a few minutes, but my will was already broken, totally broken.

In the books you can read how the victims endure with pride. I could not feel it. There was no pride, only pain and horror, only fear and endless agony. I couldn’t bear this agony with pride. The cross left no place for pride or courage. The cross had broken me, it had turned me into a howling piece of flesh that was trembling on the wood. There was nothing left of me but a screaming, begging lump.

"Let me down! Oh, please, let me down," I implored, tearfully, "I can’t stand it any longer! I can’t stand a moment longer! Take me off the cross!"

Let them kill me, hit my head with a stone! Let them roast me and devour me, but not this! Not this!

The savages showed no reaction. They listened to my crying, and they listened to my begging, but they did nothing. It seemed to please them that I was screaming and begging. They watched attentively as I writhed on the cross. They would wait patiently until the cross brought me to death. And that could take a long time , a terribly long time still!

I tried somehow to support my body on the cross, striving to lean back against the wood. It didn’t work, I was hanging on three iron nails, almost hovering in front of the wood of the cross. The nails, which had been hammered through my hands and feet into the wood of the cross, stretched my naked body.

I danced on the nails, I danced in a universe of pure pain. I had never known there was such pain, and that pain was getting more and more by the minute. It grew stronger every minute, while I was writhing on the cross. Good God! No one can bear this pain!
I prayed for the grace of fainting, I prayed to lose consciousness to escape from these terrible torments. But I didn’t faint. I had to endure the gruesome torment fully conscious.

Trembling with my whole body, I hung on the cross. I cried without pausing, I sobbed. I whimpered. I howled, I panted and screamed. I danced on the nails, sometimes fast and wildly twisting, sometimes my tormented body performed a slow dance of agony. I could not keep still on the cross for a minute, it was no good, the pain was too terrible. I was hanging trembling on the cross, crying without any pause, sobbing, whimpering, howling like a dog, panting and screaming . I danced on the nails, sometimes fast, jerking about wildly, sometimes my tormented body moved in a slow ballet of agony. I could not keep still on the cross for one single moment, it was impossible, the pain was too terrible.

I saw the savages below on the grass, the unnaturally green grass. They were staring at me, enjoying my suffering. There was no compassion in those strange faces.

Then I looked across to my friends who were tied to the stakes. I saw how they were suffering with me. I saw the shock in their eyes. I saw Ethan, I saw love and despair in his eyes.

Oh my love! If only you knew! I’m carrying our unborn child under my heart. It will be a daughter, I can feel it. I cannot tell you, darling, I have to take the knowledge with me into death. I love you, Ethan, I love you as I’ve never loved anyone before. Our daughter will never be born. What a cruel fate.

Oh, why didn’t we flee when we found this island? We saw immediately that things were not right, that this place is unnatural, why didn’t we leave? Now it's too late. Only you others will leave Skeleton Island alive, not me.

Time went by. I did not know how long I had been writhing on the cross, I just knew it would take a long time more, many hours were still ahead of me. All I could do was to wish to die soon, though still I wanted to live. But I had to give myself - for my friends, for Ethan.

Somehow I managed to get a little calmer. I pressed my feet on the sloping platform and pushed myself up to relieve my arms. But what help was that? It just prolonged my suffering unnecessarily, it stretched out the horrible torment. I felt a desperation for which I had no words.

Then I began to squirm again on the cross. The savages watched as I danced with pain, they listened to my moaning, my wheezing, my sobbing. I was howling, a constant keening of pain, I could not be quiet.

I looked down at my nailed feet, they hurt horribly. I remembered how I had danced at Beltain when I was nine, dressed as a flower girl, I’d danced barefoot on the grass with other girls of my age. I would never dance barefoot in the grass anymore ...

It became dark in my eyes, or so it seemed to me. What? Is death coming to rescue me?

Down below, the cannibals were becoming agitated, they were looking all around anxiously. Then I looked up at the sky and saw that the sun was eclipsing.

The solar eclipse! It was because of the solar eclipse we’d sailed out to the islands. Suddenly I felt new hope. Maybe the darkening sun could help me?

"A ghrian mathair mòr, Great mother sun!" I cried in the old language. "Mhathair mòr, cluinn do nighean! Mother sun, hear your daughter! Faic dè tha iad a deanamh air do’n nighean fhèin! See what they’re doing to your daughter! Faic, tha mi gus an mo d’ìobradh! Behold, I am to be sacrificed. Tionndaidh d’aodann air falbh do’n aiteam sinn, a mhathair! Turn away your face from these people, mother! Gluais iad de dh’fhàbhair, Remove them from your favour! Sgàil d’aodann! Shade your face!"

The savages began to scream. They threw themselves to the ground, howling. They shrieked with fear.

"She's extinguishing the sun!" someone yelled, "The girl has made the sun go out!"

It was getting darker. Suddenly the birds began to sing, as if it were early morning.

"We will die!"

"We're damned!"

Like in a trance, I perceived that the savages lying the cross down on the ground. I half-saw them pulling the nails out of my hands with a forked bar. The same thing happened to my feet.

They've set me free! Oh dear God, they're letting me go! I won't have to die. Thankyou God! I felt an unspeakable relief.

I woke up on the boat. We were out at sea and sailing towards the coast. My hands and feet were bandaged with pieces of old cloth. Ethan leaned over me, "Welcome back to life, sweetheart. You saved us all."

Ethan nodded. “The savages let us go. They were afraid the sun would disappear forever." He smiled, “Good that you thought of the eclipse, honey."

I nodded, "I’ve been carrying it under my heart for three months. It will be a daughter." ---------------

She actually turned out to be a daughter. I can't just feel water underground, I also know whether a woman will give birth to a son or a daughter. Another reason why I am sometimes called a witch. I don´t care.

My wounds healed well, but scars remained. I was back in my life, along with Ethan. We got married before the birth of our daughter.

No-one ever talks about that day of the solar eclipse. People act as if we'd never gone out to the islands. People don’t want to hear anything about Skeleton Island, they are afraid of that island in the fog. I can well understand them, I too don't speak about Skeleton Island. But there’s a reason why I’m thinking of it today: tomorrow there will be a solar eclipse.

Something strange has happened. Just a few minutes ago my third daughter, Leah, came along. She told me that she found her daughter Kathrin outside in the early morning, leaning by the house wall. She was wearing only a linen shirt, and standing with her arms spread out.

"I asked her what she was doing," Leah said, "she said, Mum, tonight I dreamt that I went with my friends in the fishing boat out to the islands to watch the solar eclipse. We were stranded on an eerie island inhabited by man-eaters. They wanted to kill us all, but then I volunteered, I offered myself to be sacrificed to save my friends. I let myself be nailed on a cross by the cannibals. I almost died, but the solar eclipse came and when the savages saw the sun disappear, they got frightened and they took me off the cross and we were allowed to leave the island freely."

"Did you ever hear of such a thing?" asked Leah, looking meaningfully at my bare feet.

"I never heard of it, Leah," I replied, "I experienced it." I grabbed her by the arm, "Come on my daughter! We must make sure our children watch the solar eclipse from the land! They must never sail out in that fishing smack!"

While we were walking to the nearby village, I thought about my granddaughter Kathrin. I am one of seven sisters. I have seven daughters and my daughters have only daughters. Perhaps there is something true in what people say: the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter ... maybe I am a little bit a witch.

THE END
Wow Sassi! That was quite a story! Good to have you back!

Skeleton Island (2)

"A ghrian mathair mòr, Great mother sun!" I cried in the old language. "Mhathair mòr, cluinn do nighean! Mother sun, hear your daughter! Faic dè tha iad a deanamh air do’n nighean fhèin! See what they’re doing to your daughter! Faic, tha mi gus an mo d’ìobradh! Behold, I am to be sacrificed. Tionndaidh d’aodann air falbh do’n aiteam sinn, a mhathair! Turn away your face from these people, mother! Gluais iad de dh’fhàbhair, Remove them from your favour! Sgàil d’aodann! Shade your face!"

"We will die!"

"We're damned!"

THE END

Well, well, what an unusual story :)

Saved by a solar eclipse!

solar-eclipse.jpg

A cruxforums first! :clapping:

Well written Sassi :clapping:

And Eul - respect! ;)

Last edited:
Sassi,
You know that we have had some things in common. ;)

Love what you did.

Twisting all of it around.

:)

Sehr Gutt ?

I really have lost my spelling brain.

:oops:

Sassi,
You know that we have had some things in common. ;)

Love what you did.

Twisting all of it around.

:)

Sehr Gutt ?

I really have lost my spelling brain.

:oops:
Hi my dear Sis! I knew that you would feel with this Story. It´s the stuff turning inside our heads-and-hearts from the beginning on, right? I guess my next writing will also make you feel good. Remember when I asked you if you are interessted in a Story with "Sissi" and "Sassi"? ;):)

Barbaria, Little Sis, Dark Princess,Sassi, Tricia, and any other female
in this wonderful group,Oh, and Me.. we are sailing to the New World
when horror of horrors the ship is captured by Pirates. All the men are
executed but the females and taken to the Pirate ship and used for sex,
made to cook and clean, Sis And Barb are insolent and are whipped
mercilessly on the main deck. all the pirates ever do to me is fuck me.
the days pass and we make landfall on a deserted island, all the girls are
taken from the pirate ship. used for sex, all positions all holes, and then
around one hundred yards from the sea shore we are all hung in one long
line,dancing to our deaths while the Pirates cheer shout and wank, and
then they sail away. One Hundred Years later a passing galleon anchors
off the island and there in front of them are twenty five skeletons, some
still hanging in their nooses , some in a crumpled heap on the ground.
And That Island Was Named Skeleton Island.

Barbaria, Little Sis, Dark Princess,Sassi, Tricia, and any other female
in this wonderful group,Oh, and Me.. we are sailing to the New World
when horror of horrors the ship is captured by Pirates. All the men are
executed but the females and taken to the Pirate ship and used for sex,
made to cook and clean, Sis And Barb are insolent and are whipped
mercilessly on the main deck. all the pirates ever do to me is fuck me.
the days pass and we make landfall on a deserted island, all the girls are
taken from the pirate ship. used for sex, all positions all holes, and then
around one hundred yards from the sea shore we are all hung in one long
line,dancing to our deaths while the Pirates cheer shout and wank, and
then they sail away. One Hundred Years later a passing galleon anchors
off the island and there in front of them are twenty five skeletons, some
still hanging in their nooses , some in a crumpled heap on the ground.
And That Island Was Named Skeleton Island.
makes me think of a grim story-poem I wrote a while ago,
I've probably posted it here before somewhere, but here it is:

Him

Alone at last.
The speedboat engine fades,
the buzz of biting insects takes its place,
the flies, already swarming to my sweat…

All over now
my tears,
his cruel farewell,
my little tantrum about being chained …

I’ve loathed him ever since I was a kid,
and he was set to guard me, his cold gaze
consuming me.

At ten years old,
that summer afternoon
perched on the playground wall,
my skirt rucked up,
chatting with Julia,
I felt a sudden chill,
eyes watching me.
As I hid my thighs,
I glimpsed behind a blind
a cigarette.

From that day on
I sensed him
scanning my growing legs,
my swelling hips,
my softly budding breasts,
my womanhood.

And all the while
in my father’s trust he rose –
Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Brigadier -
now he’s the Colonel of the Secret Squad –
patiently waiting.

The night of the coup,
after they’d shot my dad,
they came for me –
his special orders.

No time to dress.
Handcuffed, tossed in a van,
a bumpy headlong ride,
then stop. Doors open,
flashlight on my bare legs.
Him.

“Take her inside!”
Steps, then a concrete floor.
“Strip her!”
“Fuck the sow!”
“Again!”
“Again!”
He lit a cigarette and watched
his men do what men do.

They weren’t all bad.
Some of them became my friends –
well, almost!
They’d let me have a fag
before they chained me down
for each night’s torture-stint.
One of them even let me fit
the wires inside my cunt myself.
I must have done it well –
they burnt me worse that night
than ever!

Then he’d come in,
check that the manacles were really tight,
the electrodes fitted where they’d cause most pain,
then light a cigarette and say
“Begin!”

They made me sign confessions,
name all my friends,
say vile things about my mum and dad,
anything …

At last,
“We’ve squeezed her dry,”
He said,
“Breast Rock tomorrow!”

Breast Rock!
I’m not supposed to know,
Dad never talked about such things,
but girls at school heard rumours,
guessed …

They found a pair of shorts for me,
bit tight, some kid’s,
already dead.

At early light down at the quay
a few young fishermen –
I must have made their day!
They surely know
about Breast Rock,
but keep well clear.
Why risk their jobs, their boats,
their girl-friends or their lives?

Trussed in the speedboat,
him sat staring down
at my bare thighs once more,
counting my bruises, scars and burns –
his torture-tally!

Scramble ashore,
slither across the rock –
it’s shaped like a girl’s tit –
to –

Christ!
I wasn’t ready for it –
her –
well, half of her,
their last girl-victim –
dangling.
Hollow eyes,
teeth grinning,
tangle of copper hair.

That’s when I yelled,
“I don’t needed fucking chains!
Just leave me here to die!”
“The slag thinks she’s the President’s daughter still,
expecting special treatment!”
His cruel sneer
brought floods of tears.
I hadn’t cried in front of him till then.

“Strip, so the flies can eat you!”
Still sobbing, I undressed,
while they unscrewed
the dead girl’s rotting wrists.
Her rancid torso dropped.
They’ve made me stand
just where she fell,
her skull between my feet
leers up at me.

I held my arms up ready
for the blacksmith -
Wow! Some hunk! –
to hammer tight the irons.
His body pressed
against my nakedness,
he felt me wince
as metal crunched on bone.

Finished, he stepped back,
grinned at his handiwork,
picked up his tools,
and left me here, with
Him.
Sucking his cigarette,
still coldly eyeing me.

“Sir,”
I spoke softly,
“why?”
He took the dog-end from his lips,
stubbed it on my bare breast,
spat in my face,
and went …

makes me think of a grim story-poem I wrote a while ago,
I've probably posted it here before somewhere, but here it is:

Him

Alone at last.
The speedboat engine fades,
the buzz of biting insects takes its place,
the flies, already swarming to my sweat…

All over now
my tears,
his cruel farewell,
my little tantrum about being chained …

I’ve loathed him ever since I was a kid,
and he was set to guard me, his cold gaze
consuming me.

At ten years old,
that summer afternoon
perched on the playground wall,
my skirt rucked up,
chatting with Julia,
I felt a sudden chill,
eyes watching me.
As I hid my thighs,
I glimpsed behind a blind
a cigarette.

From that day on
I sensed him
scanning my growing legs,
my swelling hips,
my softly budding breasts,
my womanhood.

And all the while
in my father’s trust he rose –
Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Brigadier -
now he’s the Colonel of the Secret Squad –
patiently waiting.

The night of the coup,
after they’d shot my dad,
they came for me –
his special orders.

No time to dress.
Handcuffed, tossed in a van,
a bumpy headlong ride,
then stop. Doors open,
flashlight on my bare legs.
Him.

“Take her inside!”
Steps, then a concrete floor.
“Strip her!”
“Fuck the sow!”
“Again!”
“Again!”
He lit a cigarette and watched
his men do what men do.

They weren’t all bad.
Some of them became my friends –
well, almost!
They’d let me have a fag
before they chained me down
for each night’s torture-stint.
One of them even let me fit
the wires inside my cunt myself.
I must have done it well –
they burnt me worse that night
than ever!

Then he’d come in,
check that the manacles were really tight,
the electrodes fitted where they’d cause most pain,
then light a cigarette and say
“Begin!”

They made me sign confessions,
name all my friends,
say vile things about my mum and dad,
anything …

At last,
“We’ve squeezed her dry,”
He said,
“Breast Rock tomorrow!”

Breast Rock!
I’m not supposed to know,
Dad never talked about such things,
but girls at school heard rumours,
guessed …

They found a pair of shorts for me,
bit tight, some kid’s,
already dead.

At early light down at the quay
a few young fishermen –
I must have made their day!
They surely know
about Breast Rock,
but keep well clear.
Why risk their jobs, their boats,
their girl-friends or their lives?

Trussed in the speedboat,
him sat staring down
at my bare thighs once more,
counting my bruises, scars and burns –
his torture-tally!

Scramble ashore,
slither across the rock –
it’s shaped like a girl’s tit –
to –

Christ!
I wasn’t ready for it –
her –
well, half of her,
their last girl-victim –
dangling.
Hollow eyes,
teeth grinning,
tangle of copper hair.

That’s when I yelled,
“I don’t needed fucking chains!
Just leave me here to die!”
“The slag thinks she’s the President’s daughter still,
expecting special treatment!”
His cruel sneer
brought floods of tears.
I hadn’t cried in front of him till then.

“Strip, so the flies can eat you!”
Still sobbing, I undressed,
while they unscrewed
the dead girl’s rotting wrists.
Her rancid torso dropped.
They’ve made me stand
just where she fell,
her skull between my feet
leers up at me.

I held my arms up ready
for the blacksmith -
Wow! Some hunk! –
to hammer tight the irons.
His body pressed
against my nakedness,
he felt me wince
as metal crunched on bone.

Finished, he stepped back,
grinned at his handiwork,
picked up his tools,
and left me here, with
Him.
Sucking his cigarette,
still coldly eyeing me.

“Sir,”
I spoke softly,
“why?”
He took the dog-end from his lips,
stubbed it on my bare breast,
spat in my face,
and went …
Once again Eul looks forward to being sacrificed...
eul on a rock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom