The Archaeologists

Go to CruxDreams.com

Loxuru

Graf von Kreuzigung
“This was one of these moments I wondered why I had not become a bank clerk instead of an archaeologist!”

“It was idealism, Lox! What’s wrong with hoping for, and building to what you believe will be a better society for all!?”

“Submitting to a patriarch, living a calm life of luxury, such was a too corny ending for her idol.”

“Lox, what were you planning to do!? Go to the site, excavate it without permit, on your own, without tools, while in no-man’s land between two frontlines!?”!”

“Get lost! This is a mock trial and I firmly deny the court’s authority!

“As I understand, you admit you had yourself bribed to commit perjury in court?”

“Someone has to maintain law and order in this mess, our country has become!”

“Valabathus always keeps his promises!”

“You see, how much I still care for my mother!?”

“Loxuru! You idiot!”

********************************************************************************

Syria, 272 AD! A clash between two empires, between two ego’s!

arch2.jpg

It ended in the defeat of one of them.

Previously, THE PHILOSOPHERS brought you a witness account from the fall of the Palmyran Empire!
https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/the-philosophers.9940/

philos_1.jpg

But over 1750 years later, the story continues! Unsolved mysteries have remained!

arch3.jpg

What secret do these ruins hide?

To whom belonged the skeleton in an enclosed tomb?

Does its discovery bring a curse over those who found it?

From war-torn Northern Syria, here is: THE ARCHAEOLOGISTS!

Only on CruxForums!

Last edited:
Prologue.

Palmyra, Syria, 272 AD, early September. At night.

After the capture of Palmyra, ending the secession of the “Palmyran Empire”, Roman emperor Aurelian had spared the city, and the life of the secessionist Queen Zenobia. But he had ordered to have many of the queen’s advisors, general officers and other officials, to get executed. For some, he had ordered a “honourable” and quick death: beheading. But for others, for the one’s he considered the most influential on Queen Zenobia, he was less merciful. Among the latter, Zenobia’s board of advisors, the so-called “Philosophers”, a council of twelve highly educated men, were executed, in the most humiliating way : public crucifixion. The most notorious of them was the famous philosopher Cassius Longinus. Another member of the council was me.

There is a strange calm over the nighty Palmyra. In this green space with palm trees, where the crosses are planted, near the main colonnade, there is usually more bustle. But the many onlookers have returned home. Only the guards, some Roman officials and a few other passers-by witness the cruel scene. During the day, it was warm and rarely humid, but the sun was largely hidden behind a haze of high clouds. Now that the dark has fallen, the humidity and the haze prevent the air from cooling. It has barely cooled down since sunset.

The optio and two of his men stroll along our crosses. The flickering light of either the torches they carry, and of the fixed ones all over the execution site, illuminate the naked bodies of the crucified. The light reflects in the condemned’s sweat. The optio orders that it is time soon to ‘water’ the condemned again and to give them to drink. One of the legionnaires, the one who gave me to drink, then asks a question:

“Sir, with permission?”

“Yes, soldier!?”

“That man there, ” he asks, as he points to a cross, “his titulus says he is Cassius Longinus! Is that the famous philosopher from Athens?”

“It is right him, soldier! The famous philosopher and scholar Cassius Longinus from Athens! A sad end for such a famous man, but he deserves his verdict! They all do, here! Traitors of Rome, rebels, war criminals as they are! Keep this in mind, soldier : even fame and scholarship are no guarantee for virtue and loyalty! All these philosophers, as they call themselves, have betrayed their fatherland Rome, despite they all owed everything they had, to the generosity of Roman society and its culture! Remember, it is always better to be a good, humble patriot, than a highly educated traitor. But also behold that their status in society did not put them above the law, and did not protect them against their righteous sentence. But don’t let your feelings interfere, in one way or another, when you are ordered to keep them alive!”

“Yes, Sir!”

That young legionnaire, I think, if he fights bravely, keeps strong, obeys orders and submits to military discipline, he can make it to an optio, over, say twenty years! Suppose he will then be on guard duty on a crucifixion site at night, he can tell the young legionnaires under his command that, many years ago, he has witnessed the death on the cross of the once famous philosopher Cassius Longinus. That would be better than Aurelian’s idea to leave the philosopher to oblivion. He better would listen to his current optio, who puts the emphasis on the fact that Longinus’ fame did not make him immune for justice! Do not cancel him, but keep the memory of the downfall alive! The example, that’s what matters! Whether right or wrong, even a famous man can be put on trial and condemned to death and executed! That’s the lesson, the fate of Socrates teaches! Fame even does not protect against the ultimate public dishonour and humiliation on the cross! That’s what the fate of Cassius Longinus teaches!

“The optio and two of his men stroll along the crosses. The flickering light of either the torches they carry, and of the fixed ones all over the site, illuminate the naked bodies of the crucified. The optio orders that it is time soon to ‘water’ the condemned again and to give them to drink.”

Soon, the legionnaire stands in front of my cross, with the sponge.

“Drink for you, old man!”

“My name.. is Loxuru!”

“That’s fine for you, old man!”

“I was born in Burdigalia, like you!”

“Nice! Here, drink!”

Imagine, we could have avoided this fate, by running away. When Aurelian’s army approached, he purged every city he retook, from notable people that had supported Zenobia’s rule. He often did so by mass crucifixions, regardless whether the condemned were Roman citizens or not! We knew we could be next, but we remained in a state of ignorance, that it could not happen to us, and if it would happen, then, so let it be. Cassius Longinus was very inspiring to keep that mood. He probably thought that his fame would save him, and us too! But when the sentence had been spoken, he took it ‘like philosopher’, like his great example Socrates, and his acceptance inspired us to submit to that fate too!

And Zenobia? Apparently, she is still alive! Aurelian keeps her alive, most likely, because he wants to bring her to Rome, as a war trophy. This afternoon, after we had been nailed to our crosses, she came watching, just to blame us that it was all our fault! We had misled her, she said!

Perhaps, she did so, because she is under full control now of Aurelian! Perhaps she is not given an opportunity to take her own life, to slit her own wrists.

Or maybe, Aurelian cannot afford it, politically, to have her crucified too!?

(to be continued)

Raqqa, Syria, August 26th, 2024.

“Loxuru! You idiot!”

“A good day to you too, Alya!”

“Don’t be so complacent, Loxuru! Do you realise, you could have been shot as a spy!? This is a war zone! You should not be here and you should not have been allowed to enter this region in the first place! How did you manage that!?”

“There are always officials, that make an exception, in exchange for… a certain sum!”

“I get it! The rich man’s privilege of bribing! We should shoot you, just for having done that!”

“It needs two for bribing, Alya! We have discussed that matter some years ago, remember!?”

“Loxuru, you are an awful white male patriarchist neocolonialist crusader pig!” Alya said. “Nevertheless, I am very glad to see you again, despite the circumstances! What were you planning to do here!? Excavate the Azman site, I presume!?”

“Have a look there! Professionals like you and me agree, September is the ideal excavation month!”

“Without a permit? On your own!? With your bare hands!?”

“I have a semi-official budget to get me that permit too!”

“Aaargh! Loxuru! Stop it! I hope you have resources to pay protection too! Since the Azman site is not a safe place!”

“What would they do to a humble archaeologist?”

“More harm than you could think, Lox! For those guys of the Mahdist State, any archaeological site is a place of blasphemy, because idols and their statues have been worshipped there. You know as well as me that they want to eradicate them all completely!”

“I know! But incidentally, I have discovered some stuff about the place, and about the person that both of us have a special interest for! It could be interesting therefore to scout the place before some idiot Mahdist gets the opportunity to blow it up to pieces!”

“New facts!? Really!? Tell me, Lox!!” Alya said, with a sudden envy in her eyes.

Alya Baran. Actually Prof. Dr. Alya Baran. Born and grown up in Syrian Kurdistan, she had managed to obtain an academic degree in Archaeology, and had made a scientific career, as an expert in the heritage of the Roman Empire in her country and as head of the Archaeology Faculty of Damascus University. I had met her many times on conferences, and during excavations. She certainly was a top archaeologist, although many colleagues could not cope with her somewhat dominant, often impatient and intimidating character. She was very demanding, authoritarian, and she hated to be objected by those she considered to be her subordinates or inferiors. In meetings during excavation campaigns, I had seen her a few times throwing a ballpoint pen or a pencil to the head of a student or a co-worker under her authority, who had not come up with the expected results or who had dared objecting her. On would better come up with well-founded objections against her, but if one did, she would show respect. Add to that her very exclusive attitude about those excavation sites she considered almost as a personal territory. Some colleagues refused to work with, what they said, “That arrogant Syrian bitch!”

This dislike towards her was enhanced by the fact that, in the times before the civil war, Alya used to present herself as a sort of showcase of the success of the politics of the Al-Bashim regime that ruled her country. Being of Kurdish origin and a woman, having made it in the academic world, in a traditional Middle East country, was a proof to her that the regime offered equal opportunities to all, and she would defend it, sometimes at the verge of getting passionate. It irritated many colleague archaeologists that she had a blind eye for the authoritarian rule of the regime, and for the violent repression against all those who opposed it. The outbreak of the civil war in her country had changed that, as she had been unexpectedly put aside and fired from her position, for being considered of doubtful loyalty, because of her Kurdish origins. It suddenly turned out that being a woman in her academic position was a pain in the neck for some reactionary fractions, and conspiring against her had been going on, up to the inner circle of the Al-Bashims. She fled to Paris, where she took a temporary position as a lecturer. But when the Al-Bashim regime and the newly arisen Mahdist State bombed and ravaged her own native Kurdistan and its people, and sacked and destroyed ‘her’ excavation sites, she had decided to return to Syria, and fight both the regime and the Mahdists. Since, I had only had scarce contact with her, mostly by e-mail.

Having taken the risky decision to go to the Azman site, once I had been told it was no longer under Mahdist control, I had hoped to meet her and try to persuade her to scout it for new discoveries. I had not informed her about my plans, since the communication lines were never deemed safe. I made it to Raqqa, but their I got arrested. Asking to see Alya, she was soon brought to me. To my surprise, she was wearing an army uniform and a red beret. She had an AK-47 over her shoulder and was addressed to as ‘Major Baran’. Obviously she had joined the female Peshmerga forces, the fierce Kurdish woman warriors that were fighting both Al-Bashim’s and the Mahdist’s forces – successfully!

(to be continued)

awful white male patriarchist neocolonialist crusader pig

Now, that’s no way to speak of Loxoru!! :eek:

She certainly was a top archaeologist, although many colleagues could not cope with her somewhat dominant, often impatient and intimidating character.

Sounds vaguely familiar :rolleyes:

having made it in the academic world, in a traditional Middle East country, was a proof to her that the regime offered equal opportunities to all, and she would defend it, sometimes at the verge of getting passionate.

I’m starting to develop a fondness for her :):devil:

She was already a visual treat with that charming personality of hers, but now she's gone full-on 'I'm so lovely and sweet, mess with me you idiot' with the uniform and the cannon she's carrying and all. Apparently, nothing about her says 'keep your distance', right @Loxuru ?
Reading ahead again, hmm? ;)

Now, that’s no way to speak of Loxoru!! :eek:
She often behaves intimidating and bossy, but inside, if you know her better, she for sure is a sweatheart! :rolleyes:

Raqqa, Syria, August 26th, 2024.

“Loxuru! You idiot!”

“A good day to you too, Alya!”

“Don’t be so complacent, Loxuru! Do you realise, you could have been shot as a spy!? This is a war zone! You should not be here and you should not have been allowed to enter this region in the first place! How did you manage that!?”

“There are always officials, that make an exception, in exchange for… a certain sum!”

“I get it! The rich man’s privilege of bribing! We should shoot you, just for having done that!”

“It needs two for bribing, Alya! We have discussed that matter some years ago, remember!?”

“Loxuru, you are an awful white male patriarchist neocolonialist crusader pig!” Alya said. “Nevertheless, I am very glad to see you again, despite the circumstances! What were you planning to do here!? Excavate the Azman site, I presume!?”

“Have a look there! Professionals like you and me agree, September is the ideal excavation month!”

“Without a permit? On your own!? With your bare hands!?”

“I have a semi-official budget to get me that permit too!”

“Aaargh! Loxuru! Stop it! I hope you have resources to pay protection too! Since the Azman site is not a safe place!”

“What would they do to a humble archaeologist?”

“More harm than you could think, Lox! For those guys of the Mahdist State, any archaeological site is a place of blasphemy, because idols and their statues have been worshipped there. You know as well as me that they want to eradicate them all completely!”

“I know! But incidentally, I have discovered some stuff about the place, and about the person that both of us have a special interest for! It could be interesting therefore to scout the place before some idiot Mahdist gets the opportunity to blow it up to pieces!”

“New facts!? Really!? Tell me, Lox!!” Alya said, with a sudden envy in her eyes.

Alya Baran. Actually Prof. Dr. Alya Baran. Born and grown up in Syrian Kurdistan, she had managed to obtain an academic degree in Archaeology, and had made a scientific career, as an expert in the heritage of the Roman Empire in her country and as head of the Archaeology Faculty of Damascus University. I had met her many times on conferences, and during excavations. She certainly was a top archaeologist, although many colleagues could not cope with her somewhat dominant, often impatient and intimidating character. She was very demanding, authoritarian, and she hated to be objected by those she considered to be her subordinates or inferiors. In meetings during excavation campaigns, I had seen her a few times throwing a ballpoint pen or a pencil to the head of a student or a co-worker under her authority, who had not come up with the expected results or who had dared objecting her. On would better come up with well-founded objections against her, but if one did, she would show respect. Add to that her very exclusive attitude about those excavation sites she considered almost as a personal territory. Some colleagues refused to work with, what they said, “That arrogant Syrian bitch!”

This dislike towards her was enhanced by the fact that, in the times before the civil war, Alya used to present herself as a sort of showcase of the success of the politics of the Al-Bashim regime that ruled her country. Being of Kurdish origin and a woman, having made it in the academic world, in a traditional Middle East country, was a proof to her that the regime offered equal opportunities to all, and she would defend it, sometimes at the verge of getting passionate. It irritated many colleague archaeologists that she had a blind eye for the authoritarian rule of the regime, and for the violent repression against all those who opposed it. The outbreak of the civil war in her country had changed that, as she had been unexpectedly put aside and fired from her position, for being considered of doubtful loyalty, because of her Kurdish origins. It suddenly turned out that being a woman in her academic position was a pain in the neck for some reactionary fractions, and conspiring against her had been going on, up to the inner circle of the Al-Bashims. She fled to Paris, where she took a temporary position as a lecturer. But when the Al-Bashim regime and the newly arisen Mahdist State bombed and ravaged her own native Kurdistan and its people, and sacked and destroyed ‘her’ excavation sites, she had decided to return to Syria, and fight both the regime and the Mahdists. Since, I had only had scarce contact with her, mostly by e-mail.

Having taken the risky decision to go to the Azman site, once I had been told it was no longer under Mahdist control, I had hoped to meet her and try to persuade her to scout it for new discoveries. I had not informed her about my plans, since the communication lines were never deemed safe. I made it to Raqqa, but their I got arrested. Asking to see Alya, she was soon brought to me. To my surprise, she was wearing an army uniform and a red beret. She had an AK-47 over her shoulder and was addressed to as ‘Major Baran’. Obviously she had joined the female Peshmerga forces, the fierce Kurdish woman warriors that were fighting both Al-Bashim’s and the Mahdist’s forces – successfully!

(to be continued)
Excellent introduction to Prof. Alya

Two days later (August 28th 2024). The road from Raqqa to the Azman site.

It was obvious that the UAZ Patriot off-road vehicle, in a beige desert camouflage colour, must have had a previous owner, other than Alya’s unit, considering the Cyrillic characters on the dashboard.

Making a remark about it, Alya confirmed that it had belonged to a Moscow based private company, that was involved in the war, as a subcontractor of Al-Bashim’s army.

“Modern neoliberal warfare”, she had remarked, “armies outsourcing activities other than fighting, to private companies! The Americans did it in Iraq, remember!?”

“I think it is old practice, and they are called ‘mercenaries’” I had remarked.

“True! But these company employees officially do not belong to the military, although they can get involved in combat, and they are often armed! Strictly spoken, the Geneva Convention, for what it is worth here, does not apply to them, and that works in two ways!”

The first night after my arrival, the Kurds had kept me detained. But the next day, Alya got me free. First, I had to hear one of her passionate sermons about the cause she was unconditionally fighting for, which was obviously no longer in favour of the Bashim regime. Then, we turned to our common passion : the Azman archaeological site. She confirmed, she could arrange a few hours of leave for herself, and fuel, wheels and some tools, to got to Azman, and do some quick search there. She nevertheless warned me that the place was far from fully safe, and that we would get there on our own risk! Anyway, this morning, she had all brought together, and we drove on.

Alya drove the car with a swift style. Over the - fortunately - mostly straight and deserted road, she pushed the car to its limits. Making speeds up to 140 km/h, she kept a relaxed attitude handling the wheel. Meanwhile, I suspected, she was aware of my worry about her driving style, a worry she silently enjoyed, I seemed to notice.

“So, you made it a major already, Alya?”

“That is partly due to my academic education level and my leadership experience at the university. We need people with that profile, to make our army run, and they are scarce, in a society with a rather low average education level. On the other hand, too bad, our high casualty level is also a contributing factor for making promotion. I got lucky so far about fortune of war! Yet, I tell you, it is a terribly heavy responsibility! In my time as head of the faculty at Damascus University, I sometimes found my responsibilities a burden, however, compared to this, it was peanuts! But I do this, because it is my duty! I must!”

“As far as I understand, the Euphrates is the front line now!”

“In fact, as far as you can talk about a solid front line! It roughly demarcates the border between the areas under control by us, and those by Bashim’s mercenaries and the Mahdists! But it is a very porous border, and infiltrations are never excluded!”

“I see!”

“That’s why Azman is not fully safe!” Alya continued, “Just 25 kilometers from the Euphrates, that’s still too close for comfort! Let’s just hope that the Mahdists and Bashim’s mercenaries keep entertaining each other while we are there, and that they will not bother about us! Trouble is also, that there are still bands of stragglers and marauders around, who work for their own! They are the most unreliable ones! They would sell their own mother if it would suit them! And they are even more nasty if you would fall into their hands, than into the more regular fractions!”

“Alya, in our job, both of us, and even you and me together, have already been in perilous situations, by actions of either regular and irregular forces! We have feared for our lives, and we always knew, field work could be life-threatening! Is it here worse than before?”

“Sure it is, Lox! Anticipate on the worst as long as you are around here! The Mahdists, Bashim’s and their mercenaries, stragglers, they all compete in cruelty!”

“And I understand, you have definitely turned your back to the Bashim side!”

“I admit! I had followed the wrong people! But I still believe in the views on society, they once stood for! I hope we can work on that in our own Kurdistan soon!”

“What did you see in them?

“I had been captured by the socialism inspired ideals of their ideology! Equal opportunities for all! And that seemed to work in daily life!”

“Maybe, but just for an elite…”

“There was still much emancipatory work ahead for the masses, I admit…! Moreover, traditional thinking often stood in the way…!”

“The Bashims were no softies in their governance! Everybody knew!”

“I accepted it as a necessary, but temporal inconvenience! You cannot bake eggs without breaking the shell!

“That’s what Lenin also said when he started the Red Terror that killed hundred thousand people!”

“That’s not a fair comparison, Lox! Here, it was different! Those opponents, the Bashims pursued, they wanted a reactionary state, like the ayatollahs in Iran! Gone with equal rights and opportunities for women! The opposite of what I believed in! And by the way, the Bashims, they are all medical doctors! The current Bashim who is president, has been a qualified surgeon before he came to power! If you cannot trust a doctor, then who can you trust!?”

“Alya!? I presume that is irony!”

“Maybe! But I wanted to contribute to building a modern Syria! That was the promise! I was truly committed to that! It was idealism, Lox! What’s wrong with hoping for and building on what you believe will be a better society for all!?”

“Alya! Syria is a creation of British and French Imperialism, just about a century ago! Sykes-Picot agreements, remember!?”

“That is partly true! But there was some restoration of historical truth in it! Syria, that’s Roman Syria, and Iraq, that’s old Parthia! That distinction has always been there! The Ottoman occupation had erased that partition officially, but it has never been away!”

“The Madhist State thinks different about that!?”

“The Madhist State is obsessed by creating a unified caliphate, ruled by laws of their religion! From Istanbul to Casablanca, and beyond, down in Africa to the Equator. And preferably also with the old possessions in Spain and the Balkans! Not to mention that some even dream of conquering the whole Europe for their caliphate!”

“Really!?”

“Yes! Some claim that all territories a Muslim warrior has ever set foot on the continent, should be included into their caliphate ! Like, they have been as far as the gates of Vienna, so Vienna belongs to them! And next, why not simply conquer the rest of Europe!”

“Let them dream of it!”

“Not so sure, Lox! Since millions of Muslims have migrated all over Europe, the Mahdists see a pretext to seize it! Protection of oppressed minorities of their own religion! And it us who are preventing them to carry out their vicious plans! Here, in our land, in our Kurdistan! With our blood! Europe should be more grateful to that!”

“They never will get across Turkey!”

“If you think you could count on the Ottomans to stop them, forget it! Those people in Ankara are completely untrustworthy! They want to become a regional superpower, as they were before 1914, and to seize back what Sykes and Picot have taken from them! Ankara thinks they can take control over these Mahdists, and the risk is that they could make deals with them as part of their own regional imperialist plan! That would open Pandora’s Box! And it is up to us to prevent that! That’s what I fight for! For our cause, and for Europe’s cause too! Think about that, Lox! Something else now! That manuscript you got there is really interesting!”

“Yeah! There must be more hidden treasures in the library collections of the Vatican! But let’s remain careful! It is not an original account! It could be a third hand version! Maybe even a fourth hand! There could have slipped a lot of translation liberties and imagination into it!”

“True! But it is worth to investigate! There is some consistency throughout the account!”

“Well, Alya, here is the first deviation from established knowledge. We have always assumed that Cassius Longinus and the other advisers have been tried and executed in Emesa, while this account locates the trial and crucifixion in Palmyra!”

“Oh!” Alya suddenly slowed down. There were people on the road.

“Who are they?”

“Nomads! Bedouin nomads! They are on our side, although their alliances may be for sale! But we need them to plug gaps in the frontline as good as possible! I just slow down, because I want to avoid driving down one!”

Alya further slowed down and lowered the window. The nomads wore traditional clothing, but their AK47 rifles were modern. As they saw her, in her uniform, they let us pass along.

“For the moment they dwell around near the Azman site, sometimes use it as shelter, and keep an eye on it!” Alya further explained.

“Is there much war damage at Azman?” I asked.

“Well, it has only been bombed by Syrian, Russian, American, Turkish and Israeli air forces, and shelled by the Mahdists and, sadly, by us! So, nothing special to Middle East standards! I figure, it could turn out better than expected! Anyway! The day will come that the Azman site will be fully under our control, and safe to explore again!”

She looked very self-confident about it. That determination in her eyes! She looked older than the last time I had seen her before she left Paris to go fighting. Probably worn by the war and her responsibilities. But she still looked like a gorgeous Middle East beauty! While I had been talking to her, it suddenly occurred to me – I never had noticed before, how her facial profile resembled the depiction of Queen Zenobia on the 1997 issue of the 500 pound Bank of Syria banknote.

We got the Azman site in sight. It felt like coming home a bit, after so many years, but I hoped, that the ‘home’ had not suffered too much damage from the war.

(to be continued)

Alya drove the car with a swift style. Over the - fortunately - mostly straight and deserted road, she pushed the car to its limits. Making speeds up to 140 km/h, she kept a relaxed attitude handling the wheel. Meanwhile, I suspected, she was aware of my worry about her driving style, a worry she silently enjoyed, I seemed to notice.
I'm going to check the potato chips and beer supplies as I wait for @Barbaria1 to comment on this. (By the way, a nice presentation of the complexity of the historical environment.)

I figured I’d impress him! :devil:

Loving this Lox, including all the historical and geographic referencing … all woven into the storyline so well. ❤️

Two days later (August 28th 2024). The road from Raqqa to the Azman site.

It was obvious that the UAZ Patriot off-road vehicle, in a beige desert camouflage colour, must have had a previous owner, other than Alya’s unit, considering the Cyrillic characters on the dashboard.

Making a remark about it, Alya confirmed that it had belonged to a Moscow based private company, that was involved in the war, as a subcontractor of Al-Bashim’s army.

“Modern neoliberal warfare”, she had remarked, “armies outsourcing activities other than fighting, to private companies! The Americans did it in Iraq, remember!?”

“I think it is old practice, and they are called ‘mercenaries’” I had remarked.

“True! But these company employees officially do not belong to the military, although they can get involved in combat, and they are often armed! Strictly spoken, the Geneva Convention, for what it is worth here, does not apply to them, and that works in two ways!”

The first night after my arrival, the Kurds had kept me detained. But the next day, Alya got me free. First, I had to hear one of her passionate sermons about the cause she was unconditionally fighting for, which was obviously no longer in favour of the Bashim regime. Then, we turned to our common passion : the Azman archaeological site. She confirmed, she could arrange a few hours of leave for herself, and fuel, wheels and some tools, to got to Azman, and do some quick search there. She nevertheless warned me that the place was far from fully safe, and that we would get there on our own risk! Anyway, this morning, she had all brought together, and we drove on.

“So, you made it a major already, Alya?”

“That is partly due to my academic education level and my leadership experience at the university. We need people with that profile, to make our army run, and they are scarce, in a society with a rather low average education level. On the other hand, too bad, our high casualty level is also a contributing factor for making promotion. I got lucky so far about fortune of war! Yet, I tell you, it is a terribly heavy responsibility! In my time as head of the faculty at Damascus University, I sometimes found my responsibilities a burden, however, compared to this, it was peanuts! But I do this, because it is my duty! I must!”

“As far as I understand, the Euphrates is the front line now!”

“In fact, as far as you can talk about a solid front line! It roughly demarcates the border between the areas under control by us, and those by Bashim’s mercenaries and the Mahdists! But it is a very porous border, and infiltrations are never excluded!”

“I see!”

“That’s why Azman is not fully safe!” Alya continued, “Just 25 kilometers from the Euphrates, that’s still too close for comfort! Let’s just hope that the Mahdists and Bashim’s mercenaries keep entertaining each other while we are there, and that they will not bother about us! Trouble is also, that there are still bands of stragglers and marauders around, who work for their own! They are the most unreliable ones! They would sell their own mother if it would suit them! And they are even more nasty if you would fall into their hands, than into the more regular fractions!”

“Alya, in our job, both of us, and even you and me together, have already been in perilous situations, by actions of either regular and irregular forces! We have feared for our lives, and we always knew, field work could be life-threatening! Is it here worse than before?”

“Sure it is, Lox! Anticipate on the worst as long as you are around here! The Mahdists, Bashim’s and their mercenaries, stragglers, they all compete in cruelty!”

“And I understand, you have definitely turned your back to the Bashim side!”

“I admit! I had followed the wrong people! But I still believe in the views on society, they once stood for! I hope we can work on that in our own Kurdistan soon!”

“What did you see in them?

“I had been captured by the socialism inspired ideals of their ideology! Equal opportunities for all! And that seemed to work in daily life!”

“Maybe, but just for an elite…”

“There was still much emancipatory work ahead for the masses, I admit…! Moreover, traditional thinking often stood in the way…!”

“The Bashims were no softies in their governance! Everybody knew!”

“I accepted it as a necessary, but temporal inconvenience! You cannot bake eggs without breaking the shell!

“That’s what Lenin also said when he started the Red Terror that killed hundred thousand people!”

“That’s not a fair comparison, Lox! Here, it was different! Those opponents, the Bashims pursued, they wanted a reactionary state, like the ayatollahs in Iran! Gone with equal rights and opportunities for women! The opposite of what I believed in! And by the way, the Bashims, they are all medical doctors! The current Bashim who is president, has been a qualified surgeon before he came to power! If you cannot trust a doctor, then who can you trust!?”

“Alya!? I presume that is irony!”

“Maybe! But I wanted to contribute to building a modern Syria! That was the promise! I was truly committed to that! It was idealism, Lox! What’s wrong with hoping for and building on what you believe will be a better society for all!?”

“Alya! Syria is a creation of British and French Imperialism, just about a century ago! Sykes-Picot agreements, remember!?”

“That is partly true! But there was some restoration of historical truth in it! Syria, that’s Roman Syria, and Iraq, that’s old Parthia! That distinction has always been there! The Ottoman occupation had erased that partition officially, but it has never been away!”

“The Madhist State thinks different about that!?”

“The Madhist State is obsessed by creating a unified caliphate, ruled by laws of their religion! From Istanbul to Casablanca, and beyond, down in Africa to the Equator. And preferably also with the old possessions in Spain and the Balkans! Not to mention that some even dream of conquering the whole Europe for their caliphate!”

“Really!?”

“Yes! Some claim that all territories a Muslim warrior has ever set foot on the continent, should be included into their caliphate ! Like, they have been as far as the gates of Vienna, so Vienna belongs to them! And next, why not simply conquer the rest of Europe!”

“Let them dream of it!”

“Not so sure, Lox! Since millions of Muslims have migrated all over Europe, the Mahdists see a pretext to seize it! Protection of oppressed minorities of their own religion! And it us who are preventing them to carry out their vicious plans! Here, in our land, in our Kurdistan! With our blood! Europe should be more grateful to that!”

“They never will get across Turkey!”

“If you think you could count on the Ottomans to stop them, forget it! Those people in Ankara are completely untrustworthy! They want to become a regional superpower, as they were before 1914, and to seize back what Sykes and Picot have taken from them! Ankara thinks they can take control over these Mahdists, and the risk is that they could make deals with them as part of their own regional imperialist plan! That would open Pandora’s Box! And it is up to us to prevent that! That’s what I fight for! For our cause, and for Europe’s cause too! Think about that, Lox! Something else now! That manuscript you got there is really interesting!”

“Yeah! There must be more hidden treasures in the library collections of the Vatican! But let’s remain careful! It is not an original account! It could be a third hand version! Maybe even a fourth hand! There could have slipped a lot of translation liberties and imagination into it!”

“True! But it is worth to investigate! There is some consistency throughout the account!”

“Well, Alya, here is the first deviation from established knowledge. We have always assumed that Cassius Longinus and the other advisers have been tried and executed in Emesa, while this account locates the trial and crucifixion in Palmyra!”

“Oh!” Alya suddenly slowed down. There were people on the road.

“Who are they?”

“Nomads! Bedouin nomads! They are on our side, although their alliances may be for sale! But we need them to plug gaps in the frontline as good as possible! I just slow down, because I want to avoid driving down one!”

Alya further slowed down and lowered the window. The nomads wore traditional clothing, but their AK47 rifles were modern. As they saw her, in her uniform, they let us pass along.

“For the moment they dwell around near the Azman site, sometimes use it as shelter, and keep an eye on it!” Alya further explained.

“Is there much war damage at Azman?” I asked.

“Well, it has only been bombed by Syrian, Russian, American, Turkish and Israeli air forces, and shelled by the Mahdists and, sadly, by us! So, nothing special to Middle East standards! I figure, it could turn out better than expected! Anyway! The day will come that the Azman site will be fully under our control, and safe to explore again!”

She looked very self-confident about it. That determination in her eyes! She looked older than the last time I had seen her before she left Paris to go fighting. Probably worn by the war and her responsibilities. But she still looked like a gorgeous Middle East beauty! While I had been talking to her, it suddenly occurred to me – I never had noticed before, how her facial profile resembled the depiction of Queen Zenobia on the 1997 issue of the 500 pound Bank of Syria banknote.

We got the Azman site in sight. It felt like coming home a bit, after so many years, but I hoped, that the ‘home’ had not suffered too much damage from the war.

(to be continued)
Lox, is there any risk of you and Alya ending up crucified naked?

Back
Top Bottom