The Archaeologists

Go to CruxDreams.com

The Azman archaeological site, Syria, August 28th 2024.

The Azman archaeological site was located some twenty-five kilometers from the Euphrates, near a tributary of the latter. The origins of the ruins of the site, which had been discovered by remote satellite sensing in the late 1970’s, were still not yet cleared out. For sure, its most surficial remains were of the Hellenistic period. Some of them were without doubt built under Roman rule, but often, they stood on older foundations.

One theory said it was the location of a lost ancient city, referred to in Ancient accounts as Leontopolis. Other said that Leontopolis was merely another name of ancient Callinicum, located at today’s Raqqa. Anyway, the ruins exposed in the Azman site were less spectacular than others in the country, such as for instance those in Palmyra. The tributary of the Euphrates, along which the ruins are located, is thought to have been originally a main course of the stream. Shifting of the main river bed and changes of climate after the Roman era had drastically reduced the importance of the city. War and invasions had enhanced its decline, climate and earthquakes had done the rest : nearly leveling it! Above the ground level, there were hardly two stones left upon each other.

The curious thing was, that the Hellenist and Roman city must have been built upon an earlier town, of which streets had literally been roofed by the more recent ones. Reconstruction showed that this had been the consequence of a rising river- and groundwater table, that once had forced to raise the city’s terrain. This had sometimes been done by elevating the terrain with soil material, or by adding new floor levels at the buildings, or, the most extreme and ingenious solution, particularly for the time, by vaulting the original streets. Later, the water level must have fallen again, making the covered street levels accessible again. These covered early streets had revealed a mixture of pre-Hellenistic artefacts and a Hellenistic-Roman use as catacombs, burial places and, judging from wall paintings, also as taverns and brothels. A real place of parallel underground life, amidst the resting places of the death.

As a result, the Azman site was a dangerous place to access. There were still many unmapped cavities and covered streets, and often, the vaulting had been weakened during time. Anyone making a wrong step could unexpectedly fall meters deep into a cavity, or, while being in a covered street, the ceiling suddenly could come down.

Earthquakes had of course been an agent that had weakened the roofs, but recently, the place had been shelled and bombed during civil war fire exchanges, with unknown impacts, on one hand inflicting damages and, maybe, on the other hand, possibly revealing unknown cavities.

The manuscript I had found, had mentioned something curious about a ‘Temple of Jupiter’ in Leontopolis! If it would be true, new light could have been shed on one of the mysteries of the region. Providing it was true, since relying on a Latin text, presumably translated from Arab, itself a transcript of a Greek account referring to an original source… in Latin, could have been very speculative! What made it at least worthwhile to investigate was, that the manuscript mentioned the existence of a ‘Temple of Jupiter’, on the highest spot of the town. Actually, during our excavations, we had become aware that foundations of the building at the highest point were remnants a temple, and we had presumed, from scarce founds, it could have been dedicated to Jupiter, but we had never been sure about it. This was the first written source ever that seemed to confirm our hypothesis.

Alya knew that, while the area had been disputed between the Mahdists and Bashim’s mercenaries, the former had used the temple site as a spotting point to oversee the region. So, their adversaries had send a Mig to bomb the place, and the bombing had revealed a new cavity. It was well known that the alleged Temple of Jupiter had a basement with the floor at the original pre-Roman level. But initially, there had been no indications for the existence of an even deeper level, and no one had expected it, because the temple stood at the city’s highest point, and adding one level should have been sufficient to keep the temple floor dry at the time of the rising groundwater.

After her militia had taken the area under control, Alya had paid a brief visit to the site, she told me. She had seen the entrance to the deeper cavity, but due to lack of material, she had not descended into it, and, at the first sight, there only seemed to be rubble inside. But having learned from my manuscript, she suddenly had got interested to have a closer look, together with me.

“Help me with the ladder, will you Lox?” she had loaded a ladder on the roof of the vehicle. We entered the site, of which still parts of the fences stood up, as well as signs ‘No Trespassing’ in English, French and Arab, with a reference to Syrian law on archaeological sites. Other danger signs warned for cavities and collapses.

We knew our way on the site, but still behaved carefully, aware against surprises and avoiding remnants of unused of unexploded ammunition. Alya was convinced there were likely no mines or boobytraps left, but nevertheless, she suspected the Mahdists of having had plans to blow up the site and having made preparations to it!

Alya was prepared for everything. She had taken with an AK-47, since, she stated, no one can be trusted. And she had shown me, the magazine was loaded. Although the site looked abandoned, we could draw unwanted attention, she had warned me.

Arrived at the Temple of Jupiter, we descended into the basement, which was easily accessible. There, I saw the damage. The wall at the backside had caved in, and behind it awaited a deeper black dark cavity. We shone into it with our torches. It was some four meters deep, and all we could see was rubble. By lack of a bomb crater, it seemed most likely that vibrations from an explosion had made the wall collapse into the cavity. But was the rubble below just coming from the collapsed wall, or was there more?

We would find out soon. Together, we lowered the ladder. Once inside, we inspected the damage. I figured, the mass of debris was inaccessible, but Alya thought different.

“There could be a passage! Maybe there!” she indicated with her torch.

“Alya, that’s impossible!”

“Listen, Lox, in my training, and sadly also in practice, I have learned that piles of debris, caused by bombing, or earthquakes, may be piled up in such a way, that one may crawl right through it!”

“You probably mean collapsed concrete slabs!? This is stone rubble!”

“Yes, but it is has largely collapsed as slabs! Less easy than concrete slabs, but worthwhile to try! Here, I go to have a look, hold my rifle and cover me, for in case…!”

She handed over her AK-47.

“How does this thing work!?”

“It is loaded but not chambered! Cock it with this handle, release safety, here, put your right hand on the pistol grip, left hand on hand grip here, butt against your shoulder, finger on the trigger, pull trigger! Bang! Hey, Lox, did you never handle an assault rifle?”

“Sure, in the army, I…”

“Basically, they all work the same! Careful, and don’t hurt yourself!” and she slipped into the little hole she had called a passage.

Some five minutes later, she was back.

“I made it through, Lox!” she shouted! “I even think I found something special, there!”

“Something special?”

“I hope you are not too claustrophobic, Lox!” she said “but you should go through that passage! it is really worthwhile!”

The ‘passage’ she had taken, still looked hardly passible to me. Its ‘entrance’ was at floor level, just a wider gap between two massive pieces of rubble in a heap of piled up stones that looked all but stable. I shone into it with my torch. I could not see the end. Just debris

“I have been through it, and it is feasible!” Alya said, noticing my doubts. “As long as no earthquake will incidentally occur, or someone will be bombing us, that heap will not move!”

“I hope so!” I replied “What’s behind it!?”

“Wait and see, Lox! I want you there for your expert opinion! Give my rifle back! I don’t leave it behind here, I can carry it with me!”

The prospect of having to go through that little rabbit hole kept me anxious.

“But… just tell me what you have seen there…!?”

“Doctor Loxuru! No guts, no glory, remember!? I want you to go there and see it with your own eyes! This insignificant pile of debris could be the only obstacle between you and eternal fame as an archaeologist! Would you allow destiny deny you that chance for yourself!? I know you better! I give you two options! Are either you go in, first, at gunpoint, or I go in first, and you follow! And if you don’t, this will end our cooperation forever, you find your way out of this war zone on your own, and I never want to see you again! It’s up to you!?”

“All right, Alya! I will follow you! Promised”

“Good, Lox, I am sorry I have to do it like this! I just want to save you from the biggest disappointment of a career for having missed a once in a lifetime find! At the other side, you will be thankful to me that I forced you to do this!”

She went down on her knees and entered the passage again.

“Just mind, there is an S-duct that may be confusing!” was her last advice.

“Careful!” I said “Dust can block the mechanism of your rifle!”

“Don’t worry!” she said, “I know how to handle it! We had to crawl through such narrow passages with this canon, during training! It is certainly no longer than ten meters!”

So I followed her, in one of these moments I wondered why I had not become a bank clerk instead of an archaeologist!

The inside of the passage looked all but safe. My body could hardly pass through it, and every moment, I feared I would make a block of stone move, that would bring down the whole mass above me, or that would entrap me. Or getting stuck in a section too narrow for my body! My only relief was, that I could see Alya crawling ahead of me. But at a certain point, it looked like a dead end, and briefly fearing I had lost myself into a maze of rubble, I saw there was the S-duct, a very cramped one. So, I tried that one, turned on my side, crawling bent like a snake, dangerously scratching along the sides of the passage. There was hardly room to move…

Finally I made it, almost exhausted from the effort, my heart bouncing wildly, my knees hurting,….

“You see, Lox! It’s a piece of cake!”, Alya said.

I spotted again some irony, about the anguish I had displayed.

“For you, perhaps!?”

“I had to overcome my fear also, for such narrow ducts! Now, look, there!”

We had entered a room, the same height as where we came from. The walls and the floor were bare stone surface. But when I turned left, where Alya pointed her torch at, there was a structure… no doubt some sarcophagus.

It was a stone sarcophagus indeed. The debris from the collapse had broken the stone cover. Suddenly my worry of being in this claustrophobic place was over, when I watched the content.

There was a skeleton inside. Behind the skull lay a yellow metal tiara, which the body must have worn once. Judging from the style of what was left of the clothing, some brownish rags and metal shoulder buttons, and of the tiara, this could have been a woman.

“Well, what do you think, Lox!?” Alya asked, clearly exited, while further exanimating inscriptions on a slab of stone that had been inside the sarcophagus.

“I think, it could have been a woman, a woman with some social status at least!” I said, half guessing.

“Sure, it is a woman’s skeleton! That is obvious from the shape of the pelvis bones! But not just one with a high social status! Here, these inscriptions! They are partly erased, but still!”

“Are you suggesting it is…”

“I am quiet convinced Lox, say, for ninety percent! Imagine! It is her! We found her!”

(to be continued)

The Azman archaeological site, Syria, August 28th, 2024.

During the Third Century AD, the Roman Empire had been weakened by decades of civil war between self-declared emperors, most of them ambitious legion commanders. As a result, the empire had fallen apart. Rulers in Gaul in the west, and in Syria in the east, had broken with Rome. In 267 AD, a queen named Septimia Zenobia came to power in Palmyra, Syria. She adopted the imperial title (‘Augusta’) and quickly conquered an empire stretching from Egypt, over the Middle East, to half of Anatolia.

But the new emperor in Rome, Aurelian, was of another kind than his predecessors. Determined to reunite the empire, he guided his armies to the east. What followed was a series of military, diplomatic and political misjudgments by Zenobia. As fast as her empire had been created, it was reconquered by Aurelian.

Aurelian spared Palmyra and its population, only executing Zenobia’s advisers. Zenobia’s fate afterwards is debated, but the story goes that she had been brought to Rome in golden chains, where she had to march as a captive in Aurelian’s victory parade. Thereafter, so the tradition tells, she was married to a senator, and spent the rest of her life with him in his luxury villa near Rome.

Alya had always been an admirer of Zenobia, who had been adopted as a nationalist icon by modern Syria. Had Alya taken that stance, because, for long, she had adapted to the official Syrian state doctrine, promoted by the Bashim’s? In fact, after having chosen side against the Bashim’s, Alya had not lost her admiration for Zenobia, still an example for her as a role model for a strong woman in society in general, and in the Middle East in particular. An admiration, obviously reflecting her own character, views and ambitions.

Consequently, Alya was not fond of the story that after her defeat, Zenobia would have married a senator and settled quietly in Rome for the rest of her life. Submitting to a patriarch, living a calm life of luxury, such was a too corny ending for her idol. Alya had always claimed that, when two years after the fall of Palmyra, a new rebellion had erupted in the city, Zenobia would certainly have returned to her home country to support the uprise. Clearly, Alya’s hypothesis reflected her own decision to return to her country and fight, instead of staying in the comfort and safety of Paris. A parallel in characters, Alya clearly cherished.

In the manuscript I had found, this hypothesis seemed to be confirmed. Zenobia’s trail ended in a city named ‘Leontopolis’, where she was said to have died, and got buried in the Temple of Jupiter! No wonder, I got Alya immediately on the move to the Azman site, once I had revealed it.

I still remained sceptical about the identity of the skeleton we just had discovered. It should have been too much a lucky coincidence. But Alya seemed to be completely carried away by our discovery.

“Look! These Aramaic inscriptions! They were at the inside of the cover stone of the sarcophagus! It reads “Bat-Zabbai!”. It is written in the Palmyrene variant of Aramaic!”

I had to admit, Alya was top in deciphering such ancient language inscriptions. And we knew, ‘Bat-Zabbai’ was the Palmyrene name of the Queen colloquially better known by her Hellenistic name ‘Zenobia’!

“Those clothes, that are remnants of a chiton. I see some traces of green colouring. That may have been the original dye!”

The manuscript could have been right. I still had my doubts. But Alya’s enthusiasm was unstoppable.

“You know, Lox, I would like to wear such a chiton once! It would no doubt give me a very feminine look! How do you think I would look like, dressed like Zenobia here!?”

“Alya! Even if this would have been another person than Zenobia, this is a great find! It is the first time we discover on this site a fairly preserved tomb with a skeleton inside! That already tops everything! But we need more confirmation about the skeleton’s identity, that it would be Zenobia, or rather anyone else!”

“Sure!” she said! “Absolutely! But you did not answer my question! How would I look in a such a chiton!? Hmmm!?”

“You would look gorgeous in it, Alya!” (‘much better than in that uniform’ I meanwhile thought).

“Thanks!” she smiled!

Too bad of course we were alone here, and not with a well-equipped excavation team! It is double one! On one hand, this discovery would be interesting news for archaeology (and of course for Alya’s and my reputation too). On the other hand, given the circumstances, we must take care of spreading the news, risking to be accused of carrying out illegal excavations, or exposing the site to pillage. That tiara alone must be worth a considerable sum of money! Or worst of all, risking that others would come here and take the claim of the discovery!

“Look! Lox! Do you see this!?” Alya said while examining the skeleton with her torch.

“What is it?”

“That damage on her ankle and wrist bones! Very remarkable!”

“What do you mean?”

“What I mean, Lox, is, that this woman has obviously been crucified!”

(to be continued)

@Barbaria1

Tree should use his considerable legal "expertise" to set up a subsidiary called, perhaps, Cinema CruxPix to secure those movie rights. Who knows how many Cruxer experiences could (would) be translated to the Silver Screen (they still call it that?).
Nailflix? ;)

(‘much better than in that uniform’ I meanwhile thought).
It's a matter of personal taste, opinions on that could be diverse.

a8406b0b4a3de5a3d4829b97082086ea7416a138_high.webp

Some of my favourite stories play in an archeological setting. Let's see how this one develops, it can be one of this pearls.

Leontopolis, Ancient Syria, August 25th, the fourteenth year of the rule of Emperor Aurelian (aka 274 AD).

“Do you swear to say the truth and nothing but the truth!?”

“I do!”

“Can you state your name and identify yourself!?”

“My name is Junius Loxurus. I am a Roman citizen! I was born and I grew up in Palmyra! Currently, I am a grain trader in Callinicum !”

“Do you recognize the accused!?”

I looked at the accused, a woman, clearly with a ‘Syrian’ ethnic look, enhanced by her slightly colored skin. Her black hair was cropped rather lavishly, and held together by a metal headband. She wore a dark green sleeveless chiton, held by a brass button over each shoulder, and with a high-girdled zoster under her breasts. She was in her late thirties, and I noticed that, in the three years since I had seen her the last time in public before, in Palmyra, she had grown older in her face, that had swollen and wrinkled a bit. She furthermore had come a little bit on weight too (the good life in Rome?). But despite those signs of ageing, she still looked gorgeous, and the look in her eyes was as determined as it had always been. Her trial and the accusations did not seem to dare her. She kept on a self-confident, proud, even arrogant attitude, all the time challenging the court with her mocking smile.

“Sure, that woman was born in Palmyra as Bat-Zabbai. She used to go under the Hellenist name Septimia Zenobia! Under that name, she has declared herself ‘Augusta’, has usurped Rome and set up rebellion against the Emperor, illegally claiming territories she had seized under her own treacherous rule!”

“Where were you during that rebellion!?”

“I lived in Palmyra, my native city, as an olive oil merchant!”

“How was life in Palmyra, under her rule!?”

“It was shear tyranny, Your Honour! The last months of her rule, there were mock trials and executions all around, of all those she suspected to be traitors of her villain cause!”

“Were you threatened yourself!?”

“Sure I was! Being a Roman citizen was enough to be guilty by suspicion! I was lucky there to have friends to protect me and give me shelter!”

“What were these executions like!?”

“Condemned were systematically crucified, in public! She did not give them any mercy! Just cruel pain and humiliation, as a show of her power, and to implement her terror! She and her vicious Council of Philosophers, led by that renegade Cassius Longinus, decided arbitrarily about life and death! The accused were given no chance to defend themselves in a fair trial! They were arrested, the Council decreed their execution, she signed it!”

“Were, among the crucified, Roman citizens!?”

“Sure, Your Honour! Roman citizens were, like I just stated, prime suspects! They were not given any respect to their status! They got crucified alike as slaves were, stark naked as they were born! Men and women without distinction!”

“Can you testify in this court, that you have witnessed these crimes with your own eyes!?”

“Yes, Your Honour, I do! I have seen a number!”

“Thank you for your testimony, Sir! The court dismisses you!”

Then, the judge turned to the woman in the accused bench. She did not seem impressed.

“Bat-Zabbai!? You heard this witness! What do you have to reply on these accusations!?”

“Nothing! If someone has to answer about such crimes, it is Aurelian! He has drawn a trail of crucifixions, of Roman citizens alike, during his terror campaigns! And in Gaul also! I recall you that Cassius Longinus was a Roman citizen, as were the other members of my Council of Philosophers, and they got all crucified, publically, in Palmyra, to see for all the people, including in front of myself!”

“Woman, you would better confess your own crimes! You are making your case only worse for yourself! And I order you to stand up and show respect when you address the court!”

“You miserable treacherous worm! This is a mock trial and I firmly deny the court’s authority! I am by descent the legal Queen of Palmyra, and only my sovereign will counts about what is right or wrong! You magistrates are only errand-boys, serving traitors! I don’t have to stand up for you! It is you, who should honour and respect me! I am your queen!”

“Soldiers! Make that woman stand up!” the judge ordered, clearly annoyed. Both soldiers standing on each side of her, firmly grabbed her arms under her armpits and pulled her to stand up. She made a resisting move, but the soldiers were stronger. Her eyes shot fire to the judge.

“Bat-Zabbai! You are nothing! Nothing but a treacherous, villain creature! As far as I recall, Bat-Zabbai, two years ago, when your vicious rebellion has been crushed, Emperor Aurelian has been so good and merciful to spare your life, and your city and its population too! I recall he has brought you to Rome, and after having shown you in his victory parade, which is the normal privilege of a victor, he has allowed you to lead a good life, as a free woman, under the care of a good and wealthy husband he had chosen for you! It seems to me that your presence here is a violation of that deal! The Emperor has been merciful to you, but you returned to Syria, to once more rebel against him, to stab him in the back! Am I right!?”

A still furiously looking Bat-Zabbai did not answer.

“Your silence, Bat-Zabbai, is a confession to me! And your entire attitude in this court only makes your case worse for yourself! You are guilty of rebellion, conspiracy, taking up arms against the Emperor, high treason, perjury, abuse of power, war crimes, and murder! This time, you will not get away with all the evil you did! By your acts and attitude, you have forfeited all privileges this court could have considered! I condemn you to death on the cross, in public, preceded by thirty lashes for contempt to court! Save your arrogance for the cross, Bat-Zabbai, at least, if there will be anything left of it. Use your remaining hours on the cross to reflect about the fact that this sentence has been the fate you have sent to so many innocent people! Soldiers! Put her in chains and bring her to the dungeon! The sentence will be carried out tomorrow two hours after sunrise! Spread the news in town!”

“You traitors! You cannot do me anything! People here are loyal to me! If they hear about this mock sentence, they will stand up, and it will be you that will be die on the cross, even before sunrise!”

“Shut up woman!”

What had happened? It seems likely that Zenobia was not that happy with her quiet life in Rome, in her forced marriage to an elder senator! No golden chains, no senator husband could have quenched the immense ambitions she still had. For her, life in Rome would have been one in imaginary golden chains all the time.

The opportunity had come of course, two years later, when Palmyra had revolted again against Aurelian, under the leadership of a certain Septimius Apsaios. The final trigger to abandon her life as a luxury housewife, was, when her son Vaballathus had departed to Syria, on his own decision, to take part in the Apsaios rebellion, and maybe, take the lead of it. From that moment on, no one could stop Zenobia anymore! The combination of her roaring ambition to become empress again, and the worry of a mother, made her sneak out of Rome, to return to Syria.

She had made up a plan, sending Vaballathus to Egypt, where he should rally an army in her name. Meanwhile, she would build up one herself in northern Syria. Hence, Aurelian, still fighting the Apsaios rebellion in Palmyra, would have to face three enemy forces!

She had reached Leontopolis in late July, after having crossed the most dangerous zone, under the name of Na'ila al-Zabba' escorted, by Bedouin nomads. Once arrived in Leontopolis, she had started preparations to spread the rebellion from the north. But Aurelian apparently could deal with the rebels in Palmyra much faster than she had anticipated, and, even worse news, no more was heard of Vaballathus. Rumours had started spreading that he had died. Facing this, the Bedouins suddenly switched side again and delivered her to the local authorities, to clients of Aurelian. Zenobia should have known better. Bedouin nomads had betrayed her already during her own rebellion, once the Roman legions seemed to make progress in reconquering her empire. Soon, on order of Aurelian, a trial against her was set-up. Accordingly, it was ordered to henceforward name her by her Aramaic name Bat-Zabbai, instead of by Septimia Zenobia, a name that bore too much connotation with her former title and status.

When the judge had spoken verdict, Bat-Zabbai had to submit the humiliation to get chained, in the courtroom, in front of the judges and the audience. Proud and angered, she let the soldiers do their work, but she did not offer any cooperation. These were not the golden chains she had worn during Aurelian’s triumph parade in Rome, which had been rather symbolic manacles. These were tarnished brown iron chains, which were shackled around her wrist behind her back, and then attached to a chain slung around her waist. She had to endure the humiliation that the guards, commoners, lifted up her chiton, exposing her legs up to her knees, to shackle her ankles. She had to endure that a collar was attached around her neck, to which another chain was attached, which would be used as a leech. So, like an animal, walking uneasily due to the ankle restraints, Bat-Zabbai was towed out of the courtroom.

While Bat-Zabbai had been chained and marched out of the courtroom, I was left surprised. I had expected a death sentence - Bat-Zabbai had come to a point she had squandered all her credit now – but a rather fast and possibly honourable one, such as beheading or strangulation, or being thrown from a building roof. Most likely, I had expected something to be carried out in the seclusion of a fortress or a dungeon. No public execution, and definitely not something humiliating like crucifixion.

After all, she had a point : there were still lots of followers of her in the city, and an equal lot of people who opposed the Roman rulers, and who would support her when it suited them. The verdict could have seeded an upcoming revolt in the city! In that respect, the sentence rather felt like vengeance justice, but the court had ignored the risk that the cruel and demeaning agony of the cross could give rise to a martyr, as had happened before in some occasions! I wondered how this would end! But ‘two hours after sunrise’ was still far away! It was still five-six hours before sunset. A lot could still happen in that time!

(to be continued)

@Barbaria1

My stepfather was an avid baseball fan. He had some "Yogi-isms" that I remember, and thus I digress: ;)

"Nobody goes there anymore. The place is too crowded."

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

"Anybody who couldn't hear that ball hitting the wall is blind."

There are lots Moore, but I can't remember them all. Back to archaeology.

Back
Top Bottom