The Moment of Impact

Go to CruxDreams.com

Wragg

Chronicler of Crux
Staff member
The whole process of crucifixion is a drama, from carrying the cross through to the last moments, but for me the most dramatic moment is that instant when a heavy hammer slams down onto the nail, which crunches through bone and bites deep into the wood. It is the moment when the dread of crucifixion becomes a terrifying, agonising reality. It is the moment when you realise that all the begging, pleading, and wailing have come to nothing, your body has been invaded by steel, and you and your cross have become one for the last few dreadful hours of your life.

It is also a moment which is rather difficult to illustrate convincingly.

I've had a few attempts, none really successful, but the crucifixion of Rebecca in the Jasmine saga came close:

Jas163.jpg

(Secret, it was the second nail in the story. I wish it had been the first :( )

And, after numerous attempts at Alice, this was as close as I have got:

DoB 040 .jpg

Both these involve elements created by my greatly-missed friend Repertor.

I've used two of my five pictures. Among 3D artists, well, there are some good examples, and it's hard to pick just two, but I like the drama of this image by @mp5stab:

Emily 10.jpg

@_CADRE_ showed he gets it with the simultaneous strike on poor Aurelia's wrists in 'The False Prophetess'.

133.jpg

Challenge alert: I haven't seen anything convincing from AI yet. ;)

Rarely, oh, so rarely, a film actor gives a convincing performance of the moment of impact. Of the ladies, some have been very good, but in my humble opinion the Oscar for Best Crux Actress must go to Daniela Borda for her portrayal of the crucifixion of Judith in the movie Seditiosa:

SeditiosaScreenShot Daniela Borda as Judith.jpg

Over to you, then, gentle reader. Please tell me all about your favourite images or movies about the moment of impact. :)

:popcorn:

Last edited:
A very quick survey turned up these examples. I let Markus have 2 more as he is the master of this genre.
Also Mermaidhunter's Randy, Skating Jesus and from Bartnell what Emily calls a "fucknailing"

16gi6.JPGNailingRandy001.JPGMAGGIE10.jpgAndaroos 7 - Page 153.jpgV4-CruxB-070c.jpg

From 'Crucifixa'

Nor did I struggle –
well, not much –
as they set me shuddering on the shaft,
stretched out slim arms –

so slim, so stretched now,
straining, they’re forced to bear
my body’s weight -
They strapped me down,
showed me the iron nails,
the heavy hammer,
grinning …

Ah! How we squeal,
vixens on heat, fillies in season,
girls, when we’re crucified!

https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/crucifixa.1463/

From 'Crucifixa'

Nor did I struggle –
well, not much –
as they set me shuddering on the shaft,
stretched out slim arms –

so slim, so stretched now,
straining, they’re forced to bear
my body’s weight -
They strapped me down,
showed me the iron nails,
the heavy hammer,
grinning …

Ah! How we squeal,
vixens on heat, fillies in season,
girls, when we’re crucified!

https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/crucifixa.1463/
With Ascanio's illustration of The moment here:

:)

A very quick survey turned up these examples. I let Markus have 2 more as he is the master of this genre.
Also Mermaidhunter's Randy, Skating Jesus and from Bartnell what Emily calls a "fucknailing"

View attachment 1472125View attachment 1472127View attachment 1472128View attachment 1472133View attachment 1472135
Thanks @phlebas - Perfect! :)

A few from my collection. Unfortunately, I don't have the artist names for most of these. #3 is, of course, our own Madiosi. #4 is Noone.

View attachment 1472178 View attachment 1472181 View attachment 1472190 View attachment 1472185 View attachment 1472186
Wonder set of pictures (the whole thread!). One forgets the defiance some show right before the first nail enters their body.
c 0106 A.jpg
For many it is the most shocking pain they had ever felt.
crux 595.jpg
Of course, the bravado disappears as the nails are driven in.
crux nail 004 F.jpg
But being nailed to the cross is only part of their crucifixion. They have to raised to hang from their cross.
crux 357 A.jpg
And then suffer the hours of pain as they hang between the spikes. The abuse from the crowd is terrible but the only thing she can do about is is die...
crux 866 A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom