Go to CruxDreams.com

mp5stab

Hair and Nails

The Naked Truth:​

A Historical Crucifixion Story of Lust and Shame​

An erotic fantasy by Emily Blythe​

In this story three naked women suffer on crosses, a so-called prophetess and two thieves. As the scorching Antiochian sun beats down upon their naked bodies, day after day, these three women, crucified and vulnerable, are forced to face the limits of their own bodies, their own mortality and the harsh and painful realities of life - and death - in ancient Rome. But in the midst of their agony on the iron nails, they discover unexpected pleasures, resilience, and even a sense of sisterhood. As they struggle to endure the horrors of the cross, they are also confronted with the cruelest aspects of humanity - and the most compassionate. The slow creep of death may be inevitable, pain may be always present, vaginas violated, dignity denied, but there is still strength to be found in the suffering. Only one has any chance of rescue, but only after several days of crucifixion; she must endure far longer than the cross would permit. Will she succumb to the brutality of her sadistic execution and perish, or will she find the strength to persevere and even triumph in the face of unimaginable pain?

The Historian​

It was the dumbest idea Cara had ever dreamt up.

Even if she were to survive, to make it back to the present, there was no guarantee that her body or her mind would ever heal from the trauma. But the thought had consumed her, and she knew that she had to take the plunge into the unknown or forever risk her curiosity driving her mad.

Crucifixion.

Even the word had a power to it, spoken in hushed terms, treated with religious reverence or righteous revulsion. But she had to know how it was done, to experience it. To do this, she would have to learn from the best; she was going to go to the Roman Empire.

"Her tether was set for one week. Monday at noon to Monday at noon. Once she had spent one week in the past, her tether would pull her back."

She would go to Antioch to find where the crucifixions of women were taking place, and take notes on exactly what she was seeing - or so she claimed. In truth, she had decided she would take a much more active role. It wasn’t without risk, but she was an experienced historian who has been on many expeditions. The Aztec, Carthage, the Sea Peoples, she had survived them all.

This would be her most difficult yet, but she wasn’t worried. Once she got her field notes back from her Roman experience, and confirmed her theories about their most vile practices, Cara Castanga knew that her name would go down in history, that she would become a scientific legend.

The tether would sling her consciousness into the past, around a specific time and place, but her body would remain in the present. Her body would exist as a quantum superprojection in the past, and the waveform of her body would not collapse until the tether was pulled: In simpler terms, no matter how badly she was hurt in the past, she would not carry those wounds into the future. The tether would not break, not unless she were to die.

Cara sat in front of the tether controls, a smile spreading across her face as she inputted the commands for her latest expedition. In between coordinates, she idly tightened her long chestnut-blonde ponytail, held by a simple black elastic. As a historian for the University of Santa Emilia, Adjutant Professor Castanga was always seeking new ways to experience and understand the past, and today, after months of planning she had decided to pursue an expedition towards a historical female crucifixion. But secretly she had decided that she wanted to try it herself, to truly understand what it must have been like for those who suffered this brutal punishment, to feel the nails pierce her wrists and feet, to hang in total agony. The thought consumed her, and drove her to this mad course of action.

Already she had changed into period appropriate attire. The university had an entire wing dedicated to sewing these outfits, and they absolutely loved decking out the bombshell that Professor Cara was in the most beautiful, but authentic and believable fashions of every era.

She was dressed in a white toga robe, lined with gold and fastened with a thick belt at the waist. On her feet were sandals made of soft leather, and around her neck hung a necklace of gleaming jewels. But the most striking piece of jewelry was the ornate golden headband that she held in her hand; it was made to be wrapped around her massive blonde hair. This headband had been custom made for Cara, and it glinted in the light as she moved.

Underneath the toga, Cara wore a set of delicate undergarments; a loincloth and breastcloth instead of a stola. She had chosen these specifically as she expected to have to strip at some point, and didn’t want to be unprepared for the experience.

And so, with a determined gleam in her eye, Cara secured her thick shiny chestnut blonde hair in a big, fat bun, and crowned it with the golden headband, knowing that she wanted to keep it looking as sexy and secure as possible, even in the midst of such an expedition. She knew that the tether's safety protocols would protect her, and that she would be pulled from the expedition in one week, instantly arriving back.

A green light flashed above the control panel. With no hesitation, she stepped into the decontamination room. It was always a strange, almost tingling feeling as the millions of potentially hazardous microbes that lived on her skin, clothing, and inside her bloodstream and GI tract were killed over the course of several minutes by AI-guided nanobots. She would arrive in the past completely bereft of her modern pathogens. The other side of the decontamination chamber opened, and she took one final deep breath before stepping forward.

She entered the blank room.

Cara laid down, in the supine anatomical position on the floor of the blank room and closed her eyes. A soprano voice announced that the chambers were locked and the expedition would start. The countdown began from ten, but each number was further and further apart from each other. Nine happened instantly, then a small delay for eight, then what felt like several seconds for seven. Cara just relaxed, there was nothing to do. Six.

The numbers went lower and slower, the countdown voice now barely legible to her because it was so slow and bassy. The f in five just sounded like static for several seconds before the vowel began. For four it was an eternity of static. There was almost an hour between four and three. At this point, it was best not to move at all, even the rise and fall of her chest was redshifted. The trip to the beginning of two took ten hours, during this time she traveled one only second into the future. She would never hear one; no one ever did. It would take a week to get to one, the exact moment the tether would bring her back. To reach zero was impossible; it would take infinite time, and you would eternally approach it until time itself was meaningless.

But then it happened all at once and yet with no simultaneous events. The spin of everything reversed, the texture of the universe was turned inside out, and the blank room became filled with an uncountably infinite number of universes, expanding, collapsing, folding in on each other in incomprehensible dimensions and then cohering into one. Even within her tightly closed eyes, the brain could only wildly hallucinate a rough approximation of the waves of impossible light. But gradually the feeling subsided.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very good start....a sexy female historian obsessed with crucifixion time travels......I look forward to follow her adventures in the Roman empire! :)
Thank you. I've written quite a bit. Including most of the ending, I think it'll finish around about 24-30 chapters, depending on how you count them. Figured it was best to just start posting it now as an incentive to see it through to completion. It will be a proper tome, inspired by A Serpent's Eye, Jasmine, and your own female Christ stories.
Ok this got my attention.. :love:
In this story, the ponytail will feature prominently. In fact, all hairstyle and colors will have their moment; lots of hair stuff. I'm tempted to just post all of it now, but I'm going to hold myself back to one post a day. Probably for, like, all of February.

And I know this is a weird thing to add, @Madiosi but hold off on making the ebook for a while, even after I finish the story. I'm kinda an artist, and eventually this *might* be illustrated. *MIGHT* Plus in the original document there is formatting that would be removed if you copied it from the forum. I picked the font, spacing, and page layout just the way I like, if we are to do a epub or pdf I want it to be the definitive version and all that. How about one more chapter today, guys?

All I can say for now is WOW!!! Terrific writing. Love it.

Talk about being overly modest! You are far more than “kinda an artist” !!!!
But… modesty just makes it more entertaining when I am stripped in front of the crowd.

One more chapter........please!!! (and possibly an illustrated story in the future mp5 style?......that is wonderful news......I would love it......)
If you insist :p

The Thief​

Cara felt a pebble in her back, the heat of the morning sun on her cheek, and mud on her calves. She opened her eyes, and they were flooded with light. It had felt like no time had passed at all.

She stood up and brushed herself off. She felt nauseous, it was not something that you ever got used to, although no doubt there were those who liked the thrill. She appeared to be in an alleyway.

Perfect. No one saw her.

Cara stepped out of the alley, her eyes wide with time-confusion as she took in the bustling agora before her. She had never been to a place quite like this before, and she was overwhelmed by the sights, sounds, and sensations that assailed her. The smells of spices and cooking food mingled with the sound of merchants shouting and haggling, and the press of bodies all around her made her feel even more dizzy and disoriented than she already was.

She stood there for a moment, taking it all in, trying to get her bearings. As she looked around, she saw vendors selling everything from fresh produce tocuts of meat, to expensive spices, and she heard the chatter of people speaking in a language she didn't understand. It was all too much for her, and she felt a sudden urge to turn and retreat back to the alley that had brought her here, on instinct alone.

But she didn't give in to that urge, after all, there was only one way out; through time. Instead, she took a deep breath and forced herself to move forward. She had come here for a reason, and she wasn't going to let a little bit of time confusion stand in her way.

As she made her way through the agora, Cara began to get a better sense of the layout. She saw the stalls selling food and drink, and she heard the laughter of children running between the stalls. She saw the merchants selling their wares, and she heard the haggling and bargaining as they tried to get the best price.

As she trained her ears to the haggling, Cara was amazed by the sudden shift in her perception. Only a minute ago, the languages of the people around her had been completely unintelligible, but now she could understand them perfectly. It was working exactly as she had expected, thanks to the neural implants that had been installed in her brain.

Cara began to pick up more details from the visual and audio noise, as she acclimated more to the ancient agora. Her eyes began to scan around, and she was immediately rewarded for her attentiveness, when she saw a girl stealing bread from one of the stalls. The girl froze when Cara saw her, her big beautiful hazel eyes wide with terror, as she was caught red-handed, then quickly continued as she slipped a loaf beneath her plain brown broach. The girl had a head covering on, but a few errant curls revealed her gorgeous auburn red hair. Cara was surprised by this detail, and she couldn't help but stare as the girl slipped away.

After a few minutes, Cara felt like she had her bearings. She knew where she was, and she knew where she wanted to go. And so, with direction and purpose, she made her way out of the agora, southeast via the streets into the surrounding city.

The Thief​

Cara felt a pebble in her back, the heat of the morning sun on her cheek, and mud on her calves. She opened her eyes, and they were flooded with light. It had felt like no time had passed at all.

She stood up and brushed herself off. She felt nauseous, it was not something that you ever got used to, although no doubt there were those who liked the thrill. She appeared to be in an alleyway.

Perfect. No one saw her.

Cara stepped out of the alley, her eyes wide with time-confusion as she took in the bustling agora before her. She had never been to a place quite like this before, and she was overwhelmed by the sights, sounds, and sensations that assailed her. The smells of spices and cooking food mingled with the sound of merchants shouting and haggling, and the press of bodies all around her made her feel even more dizzy and disoriented than she already was.

She stood there for a moment, taking it all in, trying to get her bearings. As she looked around, she saw vendors selling everything from fresh produce tocuts of meat, to expensive spices, and she heard the chatter of people speaking in a language she didn't understand. It was all too much for her, and she felt a sudden urge to turn and retreat back to the alley that had brought her here, on instinct alone.

But she didn't give in to that urge, after all, there was only one way out; through time. Instead, she took a deep breath and forced herself to move forward. She had come here for a reason, and she wasn't going to let a little bit of time confusion stand in her way.

As she made her way through the agora, Cara began to get a better sense of the layout. She saw the stalls selling food and drink, and she heard the laughter of children running between the stalls. She saw the merchants selling their wares, and she heard the haggling and bargaining as they tried to get the best price.

As she trained her ears to the haggling, Cara was amazed by the sudden shift in her perception. Only a minute ago, the languages of the people around her had been completely unintelligible, but now she could understand them perfectly. It was working exactly as she had expected, thanks to the neural implants that had been installed in her brain.

Cara began to pick up more details from the visual and audio noise, as she acclimated more to the ancient agora. Her eyes began to scan around, and she was immediately rewarded for her attentiveness, when she saw a girl stealing bread from one of the stalls. The girl froze when Cara saw her, her big beautiful hazel eyes wide with terror, as she was caught red-handed, then quickly continued as she slipped a loaf beneath her plain brown broach. The girl had a head covering on, but a few errant curls revealed her gorgeous auburn red hair. Cara was surprised by this detail, and she couldn't help but stare as the girl slipped away.

After a few minutes, Cara felt like she had her bearings. She knew where she was, and she knew where she wanted to go. And so, with direction and purpose, she made her way out of the agora, southeast via the streets into the surrounding city.
Wonderful! I have a feeling that Cara and the thief will meet again......

And I know this is a weird thing to add, @Madiosi but hold off on making the ebook for a while, even after I finish the story. I'm kinda an artist, and eventually this *might* be illustrated. *MIGHT* Plus in the original document there is formatting that would be removed if you copied it from the forum. I picked the font, spacing, and page layout just the way I like, if we are to do a epub or pdf I want it to be the definitive version and all that. How about one more chapter today, guys?
Ok, I hold me back!

The Plan​

She was a true expert, renowned and outspoken in her field; Cara Castanga had been studying the ancient practice of Roman crucifixion for years, and had long suspected that the place of execution for women was not just a means of punishment, but also a source of entertainment for the Romans. Her proposal to the university was to conduct an expedition to the south quarter of the city, where she hypothesized the main place of crucifixion for women was located. She had submitted her plan to have a room rented at a building overlooking the South Gate, known as the Daphne Gate, and observe the proceedings from a distance, making sure to leave no trace of her presence.

But Cara had her own motivations for this expedition, and her own plan would be quite different.

Professor Castanga had always been fascinated by the history of Rome and its many dark and shadowy corners. She had spent years studying and researching, delving into the stories, poetry, histories, and legends. Antioch was once considered a cradle of christianity, but from a time traveler’s perspective, it was a cradle of much more than that. Cults, messianic, apocalyptic, mystery or otherwise, sprouted like weeds in the libertine fora and agora of the city.

There were older, more powerful, and more secretive religious traditions than those of Jupiter and Apollo in the Antioch. Tales that had been destroyed by the later Christian empire of the oracles and their power struggles with the Romans had all been lost to time, only to have been recovered into the present by one of her colleagues. The colleague, Professor Moore, had nearly gotten herself executed in the process, a fact which was neatly omitted in her groundbreaking paper. Ms. Moore had, of course, suggested just how close she came with death to Ms. Castagna after a few drinks during a holiday party. While inebriated she also described her own private research, where she had discovered the tale of an obscure woman, a would-be prophetess named Yalizah who had conspired with these so-called oracles to overthrow Rome, or so the story went.

Intrigued by this hitherto unknown story, Cara had made it her mission to research more to uncover her story and discover the truth of her fate. And as she delved deeper into Professor Moore’s research, she realized that this woman's path had led her to a most tragic end; hanging on a nearly forgotten cross between two thieves.

Determined to understand the full extent of Yalizah’s story, and not just the notes of her colleague, Cara knew that she had to experience it firsthand. She made the decision to follow in her footsteps, to follow the path of the cross, and to see for herself what it was like to endure the agony and shame of the crucified.

I make props for all of your torture needs.
✞✞✞ I also make erotic art of crucified women✞✞✞
My Personal Thread
SUPPORT THE FORUM!

The Scout​

The plan was simple; Cara would rendezvous with her first contact in the city on the third floor of an inn in the Southeastern Jewish District, just north of the Daphne gate. They had both rented adjoining rooms on the fourth floor of the inn, on either side of each other.

The bottom of the inn was a meeting point for the various thought leaders of the city. They talked and drank, and sometimes conspired in private. No doubt there was a great deal of history unfolding on the first floor, but it was best to be focused when exploring the past. After all, you could spend a lifetime on only one life. It was best to be choosy.

Cara walked towards the table of ledgers. The innkeeper raised a curious eye to the woman dressed like a patrician, but as she said her name, he simply confirmed in his ledger that her room had paid in full already. No doubt he was suspicious of a woman dressed like her having a private room rented out in the inn by a wealthy single man, but no doubt he had seen it before, so she had gathered the right kind of suspicions.

As Cara entered the room on the third floor, she couldn't help but notice this handsome young man standing at the window’s edge, leaning over the balcony. His brown eyes seemed to take in everything around him, rapidly flicking around the world, but not in a hurried way. His wild curls framed his face in a way that was both rugged and charming.
It was a damn shame that he would have to be dealt with, Cara thought.

He was dressed in the finest handmade clothing, the kind that only the university of Emilia could produce. He looked like a modestly wealthy merchant, with a well-made disguise that blended seamlessly into the surroundings. Despite the casual way he leaned against the concrete banister, Cara could sense a sense of intensity and purpose in the way he carried himself.

As she approached him, it was clear that he was an analyst of some kind, someone who was used to thinking on his feet and adapting to new situations. He would be a formidable obstacle for her.

Daniel, her handler.

"So, Cara," He turned towards the beautiful woman as he spoke, "I've been here for a few days now, scouting out the city and learning about the local laws, courts, and the schedules for the executions," Daniel began as he unpacked a bag of supplies onto the table. "I've arranged for us to have a room here at the inn, and I've made a few contacts that should be useful to us during our stay. So far everything has gone to plan."

"That's great, Daniel," Cara replied, her eyes scanning the room as she took in their surroundings. "What have you learned so far?"

"Well, the most important thing to know is that the city is divided into four quarters, with a large colonnaded street running from northeast to southwest, very typical for the time; it’s a straight, wide road, three and a half kilometers long, but it’s paved, as a show of the wealth of the city; the shine of the stones is stunning in the sunlight of the Levant, now that I’m seeing it in its prime…” Daniel trailed off, recognizing that his joyous appraisal of Selicud city planning was not terribly compelling. He pulled out a piece of parchment, with a hand drawn map of the city.

“Anyways: We are here,” he continued as his finger struck the map towards the bottom, “in the southmost quarter here, in one of the Jewish districts.. but I’m sure you already knew that from our briefings," Daniel explained.

"What is more curious is the number of gates. There are more than we thought, based on the historical record," Daniel rapidly jotted additional portas along the length of the city walls.

"And which gate should we be most concerned with?" Cara asked, her curiosity piqued.

"That would be the Daphne Gate, it’s south out of the Via Triumphalis, the wide, paved colonnaded street through the center of town," Daniel replied, a grave look in his eyes. "It's where they do the crucifixions for women specifically.”

“So I was right after all!” her reaction was immediate, and Cara couldn’t help but smile, perhaps a little too eagerly.

Daniel showed no reaction, and simply replied. “I would advise against going there unless there's a large crowd present, and even then, it's best to observe from afar."

"I see," Cara said, a shiver running down her spine at the thought of witnessing a crucifixion firsthand. "And who are the important people in the city? Is there a centurion in charge of the garrison?"

"Yes, there is a centurion stationed here," Daniel confirmed. "His name is Marcus Flavius, and he's known for being a “fair but strict” leader. You know, that type. Plenty of torture happening under his watch. There are also a few other key figures to be aware of, judges, religious leaders, senators. It’s best to keep your head down, and talk to as few as possible. We aren’t doing a biography, we are doing an ethnography."

"I see," Cara said, her mind swimming with all of this new information. "Well, it sounds like we have a lot to learn and explore while we're here. I'll be sure to stay away from the South Gate, I promise, and I'll keep an eye out for these key figures. You've been here since what… Friday?" Cara asked as she took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Yes," Daniel replied, turning to face her. "I arrived a few days before you to scout the city and make sure everything was in place for your arrival."

"And you'll be leaving on Friday, right?" Cara asked, her brow furrowed in feigned concern.

"Yes, I'll be heading back to the present on Friday," Daniel confirmed. "Which means that you'll be on your own for the next four days. I won't be able to keep you safe during that time."

"I understand," Cara nodded.

"Just remember to leave no trace of yourself here," Daniel cautioned. "Even a single bracelet or button could be tremendously destabilizing, and cause untold problems for the tether or the past itself."

"I'll be careful," Cara promised, her mind racing with the implications of Daniel's words. "I won't do anything to jeopardize the mission."

“I know you hear the standard safety procedure often enough. But it never hurts to remember.” Daniel continued, “Remember that only small changes can get erased in the quantum foam, and that’s all you can do.” His tone was grave. “You can return if a few people had slightly different conversations, or if a few things are moved slightly to the left. But anything big, any changes that can’t be smoothed out over time; that is a one way ticket to an alternate reality.”

“Don’t die, don’t make big changes. I know.” Cara surmised

“No. You need to understand Professor Castanga. We’ve lost people, good people who never came back to our reality. And we can only hypothesize what happens if that is the case. Maybe you get lucky, they also have a tether in that reality, just like we do, and you can arrive back to an alternate timeline — I don’t think that is the case. We’ve never gotten anyone from another dimension, it's just too unlikely. Most likely you won’t get a tethered reality, and we can only speculate.”

“And what’s your speculation, Daniel?”

“Death by quantum disintegration over the next two thousand years as the universe tries desperately to achieve recoherence.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m betting that this will not be remembered or, at the very least, events will work against this warning.
She's actually planned for it, in her own way, which I will not reveal now, but yes, it will come up. Every piece of clothing she is wearing has to come back with her or be destroyed because if it fell into someone else's hands it could alter the past substantially enough to branch away from the present she needs to return to. Typical time travel stuff, but good for us. Half of the issue with crux stories was the... inevitability of them. I love and hate that in a way. I love the inescapable fate, but I don't like that ultimately, the reader knows how it will end, and therefore lacks a crucial piece of tension. Here I think I've done my best to craft a narrative where she might survive or she might not... and both options are just as narratively satisfying. Of course I won't tell you now how it ends, but I will tell you the time travel stuff, and the rules, get put on the backburner pretty quickly. It's a framing device to bring a modern woman to a terrible time. @_CADRE_ did an amazing series on just this kind of thing.

The Plan​

She was a true expert, renowned and outspoken in her field; Cara Castanga had been studying the ancient practice of Roman crucifixion for years, and had long suspected that the place of execution for women was not just a means of punishment, but also a source of entertainment for the Romans. Her proposal to the university was to conduct an expedition to the south quarter of the city, where she hypothesized the main place of crucifixion for women was located. She had submitted her plan to have a room rented at a building overlooking the South Gate, known as the Daphne Gate, and observe the proceedings from a distance, making sure to leave no trace of her presence.

But Cara had her own motivations for this expedition, and her own plan would be quite different.

Professor Castanga had always been fascinated by the history of Rome and its many dark and shadowy corners. She had spent years studying and researching, delving into the stories, poetry, histories, and legends. Antioch was once considered a cradle of christianity, but from a time traveler’s perspective, it was a cradle of much more than that. Cults, messianic, apocalyptic, mystery or otherwise, sprouted like weeds in the libertine fora and agora of the city.

There were older, more powerful, and more secretive religious traditions than those of Jupiter and Apollo in the Antioch. Tales that had been destroyed by the later Christian empire of the oracles and their power struggles with the Romans had all been lost to time, only to have been recovered into the present by one of her colleagues. The colleague, Professor Moore, had nearly gotten herself executed in the process, a fact which was neatly omitted in her groundbreaking paper. Ms. Moore had, of course, suggested just how close she came with death to Ms. Castagna after a few drinks during a holiday party. While inebriated she also described her own private research, where she had discovered the tale of an obscure woman, a would-be prophetess named Yalizah who had conspired with these so-called oracles to overthrow Rome, or so the story went.

Intrigued by this hitherto unknown story, Cara had made it her mission to research more to uncover her story and discover the truth of her fate. And as she delved deeper into Professor Moore’s research, she realized that this woman's path had led her to a most tragic end; hanging on a nearly forgotten cross between two thieves.

Determined to understand the full extent of Yalizah’s story, and not just the notes of her colleague, Cara knew that she had to experience it firsthand. She made the decision to follow in her footsteps, to follow the path of the cross, and to see for herself what it was like to endure the agony and shame of the crucified.

I make props for all of your torture needs.
✞✞✞ I also make erotic art of crucified women✞✞✞
My Personal Thread
SUPPORT THE FORUM!

The Scout​

The plan was simple; Cara would rendezvous with her first contact in the city on the third floor of an inn in the Southeastern Jewish District, just north of the Daphne gate. They had both rented adjoining rooms on the fourth floor of the inn, on either side of each other.

The bottom of the inn was a meeting point for the various thought leaders of the city. They talked and drank, and sometimes conspired in private. No doubt there was a great deal of history unfolding on the first floor, but it was best to be focused when exploring the past. After all, you could spend a lifetime on only one life. It was best to be choosy.

Cara walked towards the table of ledgers. The innkeeper raised a curious eye to the woman dressed like a patrician, but as she said her name, he simply confirmed in his ledger that her room had paid in full already. No doubt he was suspicious of a woman dressed like her having a private room rented out in the inn by a wealthy single man, but no doubt he had seen it before, so she had gathered the right kind of suspicions.

As Cara entered the room on the third floor, she couldn't help but notice this handsome young man standing at the window’s edge, leaning over the balcony. His brown eyes seemed to take in everything around him, rapidly flicking around the world, but not in a hurried way. His wild curls framed his face in a way that was both rugged and charming.
It was a damn shame that he would have to be dealt with, Cara thought.

He was dressed in the finest handmade clothing, the kind that only the university of Emilia could produce. He looked like a modestly wealthy merchant, with a well-made disguise that blended seamlessly into the surroundings. Despite the casual way he leaned against the concrete banister, Cara could sense a sense of intensity and purpose in the way he carried himself.

As she approached him, it was clear that he was an analyst of some kind, someone who was used to thinking on his feet and adapting to new situations. He would be a formidable obstacle for her.

Daniel, her handler.

"So, Cara," He turned towards the beautiful woman as he spoke, "I've been here for a few days now, scouting out the city and learning about the local laws, courts, and the schedules for the executions," Daniel began as he unpacked a bag of supplies onto the table. "I've arranged for us to have a room here at the inn, and I've made a few contacts that should be useful to us during our stay. So far everything has gone to plan."

"That's great, Daniel," Cara replied, her eyes scanning the room as she took in their surroundings. "What have you learned so far?"

"Well, the most important thing to know is that the city is divided into four quarters, with a large colonnaded street running from northeast to southwest, very typical for the time; it’s a straight, wide road, three and a half kilometers long, but it’s paved, as a show of the wealth of the city; the shine of the stones is stunning in the sunlight of the Levant, now that I’m seeing it in its prime…” Daniel trailed off, recognizing that his joyous appraisal of Selicud city planning was not terribly compelling. He pulled out a piece of parchment, with a hand drawn map of the city.

“Anyways: We are here,” he continued as his finger struck the map towards the bottom, “in the southmost quarter here, in one of the Jewish districts.. but I’m sure you already knew that from our briefings," Daniel explained.

"What is more curious is the number of gates. There are more than we thought, based on the historical record," Daniel rapidly jotted additional portas along the length of the city walls.

"And which gate should we be most concerned with?" Cara asked, her curiosity piqued.

"That would be the Daphne Gate, it’s south out of the Via Triumphalis, the wide, paved colonnaded street through the center of town," Daniel replied, a grave look in his eyes. "It's where they do the crucifixions for women specifically.”

“So I was right after all!” her reaction was immediate, and Cara couldn’t help but smile, perhaps a little too eagerly.

Daniel showed no reaction, and simply replied. “I would advise against going there unless there's a large crowd present, and even then, it's best to observe from afar."

"I see," Cara said, a shiver running down her spine at the thought of witnessing a crucifixion firsthand. "And who are the important people in the city? Is there a centurion in charge of the garrison?"

"Yes, there is a centurion stationed here," Daniel confirmed. "His name is Marcus Flavius, and he's known for being a “fair but strict” leader. You know, that type. Plenty of torture happening under his watch. There are also a few other key figures to be aware of, judges, religious leaders, senators. It’s best to keep your head down, and talk to as few as possible. We aren’t doing a biography, we are doing an ethnography."

"I see," Cara said, her mind swimming with all of this new information. "Well, it sounds like we have a lot to learn and explore while we're here. I'll be sure to stay away from the South Gate, I promise, and I'll keep an eye out for these key figures. You've been here since what… Friday?" Cara asked as she took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Yes," Daniel replied, turning to face her. "I arrived a few days before you to scout the city and make sure everything was in place for your arrival."

"And you'll be leaving on Friday, right?" Cara asked, her brow furrowed in feigned concern.

"Yes, I'll be heading back to the present on Friday," Daniel confirmed. "Which means that you'll be on your own for the next four days. I won't be able to keep you safe during that time."

"I understand," Cara nodded.

"Just remember to leave no trace of yourself here," Daniel cautioned. "Even a single bracelet or button could be tremendously destabilizing, and cause untold problems for the tether or the past itself."

"I'll be careful," Cara promised, her mind racing with the implications of Daniel's words. "I won't do anything to jeopardize the mission."

“I know you hear the standard safety procedure often enough. But it never hurts to remember.” Daniel continued, “Remember that only small changes can get erased in the quantum foam, and that’s all you can do.” His tone was grave. “You can return if a few people had slightly different conversations, or if a few things are moved slightly to the left. But anything big, any changes that can’t be smoothed out over time; that is a one way ticket to an alternate reality.”

“Don’t die, don’t make big changes. I know.” Cara surmised

“No. You need to understand Professor Castanga. We’ve lost people, good people who never came back to our reality. And we can only hypothesize what happens if that is the case. Maybe you get lucky, they also have a tether in that reality, just like we do, and you can arrive back to an alternate timeline — I don’t think that is the case. We’ve never gotten anyone from another dimension, it's just too unlikely. Most likely you won’t get a tethered reality, and we can only speculate.”

“And what’s your speculation, Daniel?”

“Death by quantum disintegration over the next two thousand years as the universe tries desperately to achieve recoherence.”
Hey everyone, thanks to @thehangingtree I have added a bit of story *before* the one I posted yesterday, which I accidentally posted too soon. So now you can read the story in order. I'll be sure to not make that mistake again when I put all of these chapters together. 0:D

The Mother​

His words of warning did not deter her. Her destiny was set. The women were all but forgotten. She had known the risks, and she knew that she would have to take them.

As Cara made her way up the creaky stairs of the building, up to the fourth floor, her heart pounded in her chest with excitement and nerves. She had been planning this moment for weeks, and now that it was finally here, she could hardly contain her anticipation.

She pushed open the door to the rented room and stepped inside, taking in the small, dingy space with a sense of eagerness. It was nothing fancy, but it was exactly what she needed - a quiet, private place to observe the place of crucifixion and the women who she hoped suffered there.

She made her way over to the window and pulled back the curtain, gazing out at the scene below. The crosses loomed in the distance, stark against the pale blue sky. She could see only one body hanging there, a thin and frail figure with gray hair that blew gently in the breeze.

Cara felt a pang of sadness and curiosity as she looked at the figure. Who was she? Was she a she? What had she done to deserve such a punishment? Cara vowed to find out, but it would have to be tomorrow. Tonight, she could only simply recover from the travel, as she had two millennia of jetlag to contend with.

With a wistful sigh, she turned away from the window and began to undress. She removed her tunic and let it drop to the floor, standing in just her undergarments as she settled onto the small, lumpy bed.

Cara slowly undid the intricate knot of her massive bun, letting her long, wavy hair spill out over her shoulders and down her back. She ran her fingers through the soft, golden locks, relishing the feeling of it cascading down her back until it brushed against her thighs. She took a moment to twirl and watch her chestnut hair caress her hips, admiring the way her hair framed her body and enhanced her natural beauty.

With a contented sigh, Cara began to loosely braid her hair, taking her time to ensure that each strand was perfectly in place. As she worked, she couldn't help but enjoy the feeling of her hair sliding against bare skin, the way it would tickle and tease as it brushed against sensitive areas. She shuddered at the thought, feeling a familiar warmth blooming between her legs.

Later, she thought.

Finishing her braid, Cara tied it off with that same black elastic and settled into bed. She closed her eyes and let out a deep breath, feeling a sense of peace wash over her as she drifted off into a post-tether sleep.

If feeling conscious was a strange sensation when thrown through time, unconsciousness was doubly strange. Remembering and premonition becoming one and the same, as the unreality of subjective experience was incessantly crashing in waves against the assumed certainty of a true reality.

It is then of no surprise that Cara’s sleep was filled with strange and vivid dreams. Although, given the circumstances, perhaps it was alarming that they were not even more strange. She found herself in a shadowy realm, surrounded by twisted trees and swirling mists. In the distance, she could see the faint glow of three crosses, each one occupied by a woman writhing in agony, she could not truly see their shapes, only that they were pinned, and their ethereal being radiated tremendous senses of suffering. She desired very greatly to see the women, to commune with them. As she approached the crosses, she felt a sense of dread wash over her. She knew that one of those crosses was meant for her, and she was powerless to escape her fate.

The shadowy figure on the left cross reacted with anger. “You did this! You did this to me!” She wailed in wordless agony and receded into the shadow.

The figure to the right spoke as well, with deep sadness. “Save us all please, do not go down this terrible path. There is still time to save yourself.” She too receded into the shadow as she wept bitterly.

The dread overwhelmed Cara as she approached the center cross, ready to hear her words, but there were none. The shadow was forever just out of her reach.

Suddenly, from this shadow she was chasing a tall and regal woman appeared before her, her long flowing hair cascading down her back. She was pregnant, and radiated an impossible beauty, but not beautiful of the physical kind, beautiful of the sublime feminine. She wasn’t simply a mother, she was the Mother, and Cara turned from pursuing the shadowy figures to face her head on before collapsing in her overwhelming presence. Without a word, the Mother reached out and touched Cara's forehead, and a surge of heat passed through her body.

As the woman's touch lingered, Cara felt her body changing, her arms stretching out to the sides, her legs being pulled up, her knees bent, then pressing against the rough wood she could feel behind her. She was trapped, unable to move or escape the agony that was to come.

As the woman's hand withdrew, Cara could feel the nails being driven into her flesh, the spikes digging into her scalp. She screamed in pain, but no sound escaped her lips. She was doomed to suffer on the cross, her body nailed and naked. Despite her suffering, she felt wildly and provocatively at peace. There was no anxiety to be had in the depths of inevitability.

It was not a nightmare: It was a memory of things yet to come.

The Soldiers​

Cara had secretly added a subroutine to her neural lace, one that would allow her to wake far earlier than she would naturally; far before the sun rose, and before Daniel could be awake to stop her. She needed to put her plans into motion as quickly as possible if she were to succeed.

The neural lace was a wonder of assisted computing, non invasive, but tremendously powerful. She didn’t even feel tired as her eyes opened to the early morning darkness. She felt well rested even, despite her alarming vision, a vision that she was now in the process of forgetting. The lace would heal and oxygenate her brain as if it was in a restful state continuously, allowing her consciousness without the metabolic cost, only the mental cost.

Cara began to dress herself once again, in the ironic quiet of the Gallicinium, the hour of the cock crowing, only to run into the first hiccup of her plan. Since the wardrobe that the university had bought for her with her clothing for the week she was in Antioch was in the bedroom on Daniel’s side of the fourth story, Cara had no choice but to quickly shuffle back into her outfit from the day before, and also did her hair in the same bun style, so that she would be able to bring the headband with her and leave nothing in the room. Such a headband, golden and expertly crafted would be a fortune in this time. Misplacing any one piece of an outfit this luxurious could be enough to untether her from reality.

This was a mistake, wearing the same outfit that she had arrived in, making it look like she had been up all night to the guards, and up to no good. One of many she would make as she darted out of the inn before dawn and scrambled towards the Daphne Gate.

She couldn't help but feel the eyes of the city watchmen on her, even with minimal light at the end of the third watch they must have noticed her in the same dress from the night before, a luxurious garment that had drawn attention to her as she moved through the crowded streets. Cara tried to keep her cool as the soldiers closed in on her, their eyes narrowed with suspicion.

The soldiers wore simple tunics of rough, unbleached linen, cinched at the waist with a belt of well-worn leather. Their boots were battered and mud-caked, evidence of the long hours they spent patrolling the streets of the city. Each man carried a short sword at his side, its blade dulled by its frequent use. A thick, wooden club hung from a loop on each soldier's belt, ready to be used as a weapon of intimidation or force. Despite their rugged appearance, there was a sense of authority about the soldiers, a sense that they were not to be trifled with.

"What are you doing out here, girl?" one of them asked, his voice gruff and menacing. "It's not safe for a woman to be wandering these streets alone."

Cara tried to remain calm, but her heart was racing. She had nothing to hide, but she knew that the soldiers could be unpredictable. "I'm just on my way to the southern gate," she replied, trying to keep her voice steady. "I have business to attend to."

The soldiers exchanged a skeptical look, and one of them, probably the lead soldier, stepped forward, his eyes narrowed.

"What kind of business?" he demanded. "We've had reports of a thief in the area, and you look like you've been up all night."

She knew that she had to come up with a convincing story, or else risk being accused of something much worse than simply staying out all night.

“Out mighty early for a stroll, are we?”

"I was just sleeping above the inn, I had some early morning errands," she insisted, trying to maintain a calm and steady voice. "I swear, I wasn't up to anything nefarious."

But the soldiers were unconvinced, their expressions hard and unyielding. "We don't believe you," one of them growled, his voice laced with threat. "We think you're hiding something. What were you really doing last night?"

Cara's mind raced, trying to come up with a plausible lie. And then, in a moment of desperation, she blurted out the first thing that came to mind. "I saw a bread thief!" she exclaimed, the words tumbling out of her mouth before she could even think about them.

The soldiers seemed taken aback by this revelation, and for a moment, Cara thought she might have convinced them. But then one of them stepped forward again, his face twisted into a sneer. "We never mentioned anything about a bread thief," he hissed. "We think you're lying. And if you don't tell us the truth, right now, you'll be sorry."

"I-I'm sorry," Cara stuttered, her voice shaking with fear. "I just wanted to help, I didn't mean to get anyone in trouble."

The soldier sneered at her, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. "You expect us to believe that? You're trying to distract us, to throw us off your trail. You think we're fools, don't you?"

Cara shook her head frantically, tears welling up in her eyes. "No, no! I swear, I saw the thief. I'm telling the truth!"

"The truth, you say?" The soldier sneered. "Well, we'll see about that. If you're lying to us, you'll be joining that thief at the whipping post! And if you're telling the truth, you'll be rewarded for your honesty.”

"Please, I'm telling the truth," Cara pleaded, her voice shaking with fear and desperation. "She had curly red hair, I swear it. I saw her running through the streets with a brown cloak. I don't know who she is, but I promise you that's all I know."

The lead soldier studied her for a moment, his expression unreadable. "Very well," he said finally, his voice laced with skepticism. "We'll follow your lead. But if we catch this bread thief and she’s not like your description, we’ll know that you've lied to us, you’ll be flogged in the agora."

Cara couldn't suppress a shiver at the thought. The idea of being flogged was terrifying and erotic, but at the same time, there was a strange thrill that coursed through her veins at the thought of being punished, tortured, and in public alongside the thief. She couldn't shake the feeling that, in some twisted way, she was destined to suffer alongside this mysterious girl, whoever she was.

"I understand," she said quietly, hoping that her guilty conscience didn't give her away. "I won't lie to you. I just want to help catch this thief and put an end to her crimes."
The soldier gave her a hard look before nodding. "Very well. We'll be watching you, and if we find out you're lying to us, you'll pay the price."

With that, he turned and stormed off, leaving Cara to contemplate the consequences of her actions. She couldn't shake the feeling that she was playing a dangerous game, and that her fate was now intertwined with that of the redheaded thief. There was very low odds that even a city such as Antioch had more than a couple of true ginger-haired women, so the guards would soon find her.

She wondered what it would be like to see her struggling and writhing on the cross. She was hardly yet a woman. Would she cry out in pain? Would she beg for mercy? Would she succumb to the pleasure of her own suffering? As she walked away from the soldiers, Cara also couldn't shake the image of the redheaded thief hanging on the cross, and the thought of it sent a shiver down her spine. She couldn't wait to see it for herself, but first there was another crucifixion that required her study.

Back
Top Bottom