The Official CruxForums Lexicon

Go to CruxDreams.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably time waste. I work already on the book Barbaria.
Book project in work.
We might have a few revisions to add. I still have a few more I think we can insert, personally. Plus there will be all kinds of additions from members. Better to have a living document. Maybe a Google doc? We can insert links and images and keep it updated

Last edited:
We might have a few revisions to add. I still have a few more I think we can insert, personally. Plus there will be all kinds of additions from members. Better to have a living document. Maybe a Google doc? We can insert links and images and keep it updated
I think that's the plan, to keep this thread open for additional contributions, but there will also be a closed version into which staff can insert those new contributions (without any intervening chatter) - @Barbaria1 - is that still the plan?
@Madiosi will surely wait until the enthusiasm has died down before making any pdfs or ebooks?

Also, attention should be paid to avoid double entries (or different worded entries of the same topic), and integrating them as one item.

I think that's the plan, to keep this thread open for additional contributions, but there will also be a closed version into which staff can insert those new contributions (without any intervening chatter) - @Barbaria1 - is that still the plan?
@Madiosi will surely wait until the enthusiasm has died down before making any pdfs or ebooks?
The staff, and also me? ;)

Also, attention should be paid to avoid double entries (or different worded entries of the same topic), and integrating them as one item.

Barb said she would be combining some entries together. I couldn’t help but write my own definitions for some of them.

Yes, there's quite a lot of editing to be done even in putting up the 'closed' version, and more before @Madiosi should start on making books or pdfs.

The staff, and also me?
That's not possible without crashing the site :p
But if you'd care to collect together all that has been offered - even just for one letter of the alphabet at a time, and send it along to Barb via PM, that would be a good deed!

Yes, that’s the plan.

Barb said she would be combining some entries together. I couldn’t help but write my own definitions for some of them.

Don’t worry, I’ll editorially merge things where necessary.

I am not sure if this needs to be added to the Lexicon but me being the Terra Nova tramp came about by input of a few moderators back a few years ago
Terra Nova means new land and tramp meaning is Perhaps because female tramps were often regarded as prostitutes, in the United States the term "tramp" came to refer to a promiscuous woman. So this explains how I became the tramp on CF forums.

I am not sure if this needs to be added to the Lexicon but me being the Terra Nova tramp came about by input of a few moderators back a few years ago
Terra Nova means new land and tramp meaning is Perhaps because female tramps were often regarded as prostitutes, in the United States the term "tramp" came to refer to a promiscuous woman. So this explains how I became the tramp on CF forums.
Never mind, Kathy, even the tramps need of regard ... :tejeqteje:

Carnifex - literally “butcher” in Latin: A man who processes meat. In our context carnifex means executioner, and the meat is the naked victims being nailed to crosses

Lictor - A Roman soldier or hired hand tasked with whipping or flogging as a form of corporal punishment or as a preliminary to execution lictors often work in pairs, as part of a crucifixion team. Lictors use a variety of implements, depending on the desired severity of the punishment
Just for the record, not that anyone will use them, the plurals are carnifices and lictores.

The lictores weren't soldiers in the army, they were more like sheriffs' officers, they accompanied the magistrates and executed their orders, which could include beatings etc., though they were only involved in capital executions in the earliest times of Rome; they also acted as a kind of city police, keeping an eye on how people were behaving in the streets, markets etc. As their mark of office, they carried the fasces, the bundle of rods tied around a two-headed axe, that Mussolini's Fascisti took for their symbol.

But the soldier who had the job of scourging, wielding the flagellum, was the flagellator, plural flagellatores.

Yes, there's work going on behind the scenes now, it's quite a big job getting it into final shape - so I'll lock this thread for now, when the 'official' version is ready, it will be made public, and we can re-start the discussion, with contributions for a 'second edition' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom