Venus Verticordia

Go to CruxDreams.com
Inspector Slave sat thoughtfully, sipping a nice cup of tea after his interview with the strange American. He would love to lock the American (whatever his name is) up and throw away the key, five generations back an ancestor was about to get a posting as a colonial governer in New England, then they damn well beat us. Today he could have been town marshall in a wild place out west, allowed to shoot criminals and hang whores. Instead he was in this dump, with peeling paint and a privy still not connected to the water and drains.

He was looking forward to the ladies' stories. "I wonder if the one calling herself Barbara claims to have 'flown' from America as well. Must telegraph Cruxton Abbey to check out that part of the story. In the meanwhile, I'll have to search her. I suppose one day women will be educated enough for the police to consider employing them in menial duties, like searching other women, but today it's a man job, and a senior officer's perk.

"Sprout, put Barbara Moore in the interrogation cell, well secured. Let her wait in fear while I lunch at the pie & mash shop. Give her some jellied eels and a glass of stout for her lunch, and she'll be ready to talk when I get back."

So a contented Insp. Slave went to lunch, whistling the tune from that new comic opera 'A policeman's lot is not a happy one.............'

Well, I, for one, quite like our Inspector Slave (Old traditional name, is it?). Doin' a great job. D'you know, I was in the Lords yesterday and ran into Lord Wragg of Cruxton. Can't seem to find his fiancée. Very careless and all, of course, but I thought, what with his success findin' paintings, Old Slave might be just the chap to find a missing gel.

Well, I, for one, quite like our Inspector Slave (Old traditional name, is it?). Doin' a great job. D'you know, I was in the Lords yesterday and ran into Lord Wragg of Cruxton. Can't seem to find his fiancée. Very careless and all, of course, but I thought, what with his success findin' paintings, Old Slave might be just the chap to find a missing gel.

Yes but is he really one of us? I mean he just comes across as well...a bit common, old boy.

Yes but is he really one of us? I mean he just comes across as well...a bit common, old boy.

Salt of the earth, Rodent old man. That face screams life experience!
In fact, he'd make a great character study
(starts sketching)

By the by Eulalia dear, how are we getting out of this ?
I have work to do!

Salt of the earth, Rodent old man. That face screams life experience!
In fact, he'd make a great character study
(starts sketching)

I have work to do!

Dear fellow, you know I worship your art but you are a bit well, you do like to consort with the rough sort of people. You always have a soft spot for them.

I'm only suggestin' he can do some more inspecting and detecting, sort of thing. I'm not sending him an invitation to Ascot. :rolleyes::cool::D

Indeed, I understand entirely, let him soil his hands and let's keep old Wraggy above the fray.

“Gross indecency. Two months ‘ard labour. If yer lucky!”
Femmes de la mine 2 (Simbad6).jpg (Credit Simbad)

“There ain’t gonna be no wedding, sweetheart! Just mail bags for you to sew.”
470827611.jpg :eek: :eek: :eek: gws254015.jpg bloed-vinger.jpg

She pulled the blanket tightly around herself, and glared into the eyes of the sergeant.
kajoltowelscene.jpg

So listen very carefully
"

My fiancé will see to it that you will spend the rest of your career directing the traffic in Piccadilly Circus!
_62679546_police6.jpg

They manhandled her down the steps, and shoved her, roughly, into the back of a prison carriage.
carriage_0000_jpga278f9cc-e5c2-4027-90f1-ad34be5c6c13Large-1.jpg

“They think I’m a notorious criminal known as the ‘Racing Rodent’!”
2016-02-19_121501.jpg

“I’m afraid,” commented Eulalia, “that the British policeman is not noted for his high standard of intelligence.”
Spect_Copper_Twit1.jpg

“BASTARD!” spat Tree. “The bastard!” he repeated. “He’s set us up!”
2016-02-19_124633.jpg

Old Inspector Slave sat eating his pie and drinking a bottle of rather good beer, since Mr Whitbread began putting the stuff in bottles, the quality had improved.
He pondered this case of the paintings, girls, americans and 'time-travel'. He knew he had to tread carefully, with rich and posh folk involved. He wasn't stupid like most of his collegues (he went to school till he was 14) but like everyone born poor, he had this instinctive English deference to his 'betters'. If he sorted this out to everyone's satisfaction, he might make a bit of money from this, perhaps a promotion which would let him buy a house in the country served by the new Metropolitan Railway. Even an invitation to Ascot.
"Daydreaming, old man" said this dapper young man with the bushy moustache sitting with him. "Oh, hullo Herbert, up to London for a break?"
"Yes, what's new, old chap?"
"Most peculiar day, buffoon from America claims to have travelled back in time, had a hell of a pretty girl with him otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the case."
The waiter humbly approached "Your eel pie, Mr Wells".
Old Slave rose "time to think about this case".
H G Wells ate his pie "time to think about time".

He was looking forward to the ladies' stories. "I wonder if the one calling herself Barbara claims to have 'flown' from America as well. Must telegraph Cruxton Abbey to check out that part of the story. In the meanwhile, I'll have to search her. I suppose one day women will be educated enough for the police to consider employing them in menial duties, like searching other women, but today it's a man job, and a senior officer's perk.

"Sprout, put Barbara Moore in the interrogation cell, well secured. Let her wait in fear while I lunch at the pie & mash shop. Give her some jellied eels and a glass of stout for her lunch, and she'll be ready to talk when I get back."

Uh oh! :confused::eek:

“Good morning. I am inspector Slave of the Detective force. You are Miss Barbara Moore?”

“Oh! So you are ‘Old Slave’?”

Slave regarded her as though she were something he’d tramped in on his shoe. He didn’t like Americans at the best of times, and his recent interview with Tree had not improved the standing of that nation in his estimation. Barb wondered if perhaps she’d got the interview off on the wrong foot, so hastily she said, “Sorry, Inspector. Yes, I’m Barb Moore.”

Slave sighed deeply. ‘Barb’. ‘Old Slave’. These Americans really lacked taste and manners. He’d heard tales of a lawless country, men with Stetson hats shooting each other at high noon. Bank robberies a daily occurrence. Always drunk. Morals in the gutter. Why the hell did they have to come over here disturbing the Queen’s peace?

If she thought he was going to call her ‘Barb’ she’d got another think coming. “Well, Miss Moore, perhaps you could start by explaining why my men found you stark naked on a cross this morning?”

“I am to be married to the Earl of Cruxton on Saturday. Mr Rossetti had kindly agreed to paint me in a piece of classical art to be entitled ‘The Martyred Queen.’ As a wedding present for the Earl, you understand.”

Slave rolled his eyes. He wondered if all Americans had such vivid imaginations. Perhaps it was something to do with the water they drank over there. First he’d had to listen to wild tales of time travel and aerial vehicles called ‘Boeings.’ Now this trollop, wearing nothing but a blanket, was claiming to be engaged to a member of the British aristocracy. He didn’t believe it for one minute.

He communicated his disbelief, as he had to Tree, by just looking at her for a long time. As he did so, however, it occurred to him that she was actually a pretty good looking woman, for an American. He began to wonder what she looked like without the blanket.

With an effort he pulled himself together, but Barb read his mind, and she chose that moment to switch on her most dazzling seraphic smile, and to let the blanket slip just that little tiny bit.

Old Slave was beset by a coughing fit, which didn’t help, because that meant he inhaled a lungful of her perfume, perfume which she had carefully selected to hit a man’s endocrine system like a bomb.

“Are you all right, Mr Slave?” she asked, with feigned concern.

Slave had a mental picture of his grandfather, a Methodist preacher, standing in his pulpit, pounding his Bible with his fist, calling hell and damnation down on all ‘loose’ women. By God, he thought, this is the loosest of loose women. Whatever would Granddad say, if he could see him now?

“Miss M….” he began, but his throat had gone dry, and his voice failed him.

“Please, do call me ‘Barb’, ‘Miss Moore’ sounds so dreadfully…..English.”

“There is nothing wrong with being English, Miss Moore!” His voice had recovered, but his composure had not. “What are you doing in England, Miss Moore?”

“I told you, I’m engaged to the Earl of Crux……”

“I’ll tell you what I think, Miss Moore, I think that you and Mr Tree are old friends from America, and that, together, you planned to plunder the stately homes of England of their priceless works of art!”

“No! I only met the Senator last night, we were fellow guests at the Prince of Saxe-Coburg Hotel!”

“Paid for from the ill-gotten gains of your crime spree, no doubt. Let me tell you that we were watching you, Miss Moore. You were seen to dine with him last night, and to retire with him to his bedroom!”

Barb had turned bright red. “But…but…”

“Is that the conduct of a woman who says she is to be married within a week?” Slave pictured his old granddad cheering him on.

“Now, just you listen here, Buster…..”

“I’m not ‘Buster’, I’m ‘Inspector’ to you! What if I was to tell you that there is no such person as ‘Senator’ Tree? What if I was to tell you that the U.S. Embassy disown him completely?”

“No! It isn’t true!”

“It is true, Miss Moore! What if I was to tell you that I have irrefutable proof that he is none other than the ‘Racing Rodent’, a notorious criminal at the top of our ‘wanted’ list?”

“No, no! He is a good man!”

“He is not a good man, Miss Moore. What if I was to tell you that he has yet to supply me with a satisfactory alibi for a number of other crimes, including murder?”

“I don’t believe you! I can’t believe you!”

“You can believe me, Miss Moore, because it is true. We have caught him red handed with a stolen painting! And I believe you and he were just checking out the artwork in Mr Rossetti’s studio to work out what you could steal. Even as I speak, Mr Rossetti and Miss Wilding will be making statements to that effect. Admit it, Miss Moore, you and Mr Tree are partners-in-crime!”

She began to cry. Slave watched her with satisfaction, pleased with his demolition job. Any moment now, and he’d have her confession. Two major criminals, arrested before lunchtime. A good day.

“All right, Miss Moore, let’s do it the hard way. The night before last, Lord Jollyrei had a valuable painting stolen. The Venus Verticordia, to be precise. Where were you, the night before last, Miss Moore?”

The door burst open. “I will tell you exactly where she was, Inspector. She was with me!”

The PC looked apologetic, “sorry, sir, I couldn’t stop him!”

“WRAGGIE!” Barb threw herself across the room into his arms, oblivious of the fact that she’d left the blanket on the chair.

“It’s OK, Barb, I’ve got you,” he soothed, as she sobbed into his shoulder.

Slave was speechless. This was none other than Sir Eustace Wragg, the 16th Earl of Cruxton, one of the wealthiest and most influential aristocrats in England. And he was calling her ‘Barb’! And she called him ‘Wraggie’! He staggered to his feet.

Wragg got in first. “I gather you’ve arrested the Racing Rodent. Well done, sir! However, let me assure you, in the strongest possible terms, that my fiancé knows nothing of his nefarious activities!”

“But, your Lordship, I’m sorry to have to inform you that she was with him last night….”

“Poppycock, Slave. Drivel. You weren’t, were you, Barb darling?”

“Of course I wasn’t, darling.”

“But, Your Lordship!”

“YOU HEARD THE LADY!” thundered the Earl. “She has nothing to do with any criminal activity whatsoever. I trust I make myself perfectly clear?”

“Very good, your Lordship.”

“Excellent. Glad we’ve cleared up that little misunderstanding. Now, go and throw the book at the Racing Rodent, all means. Just fetch that blanket before you go, there's a good fellow.”

Obediently, Slave passed Wragg the blanket, and went on his way.

Inspector Slave sat thoughtfully, sipping a nice cup of tea after his interview with the strange American. He would love to lock the American (whatever his name is) up and throw away the key, five generations back an ancestor was about to get a posting as a colonial governer in New England, then they damn well beat us. Today he could have been town marshall in a wild place out west, allowed to shoot criminals and hang whores. Instead he was in this dump, with peeling paint and a privy still not connected to the water and drains.

So a contented Insp. Slave went to lunch, whistling the tune from that new comic opera 'A policeman's lot is not a happy one.............'
Old Inspector Slave sat eating his pie and drinking a bottle of rather good beer, since Mr Whitbread began putting the stuff in bottles, the quality had improved.
He pondered this case of the paintings, girls, americans and 'time-travel'. He knew he had to tread carefully, with rich and posh folk involved. He wasn't stupid like most of his collegues (he went to school till he was 14) but like everyone born poor, he had this instinctive English deference to his 'betters'. If he sorted this out to everyone's satisfaction, he might make a bit of money from this, perhaps a promotion which would let him buy a house in the country served by the new Metropolitan Railway. Even an invitation to Ascot.
"Daydreaming, old man" said this dapper young man with the bushy moustache sitting with him. "Oh, hullo Herbert, up to London for a break?"
"Yes, what's new, old chap?"
"Most peculiar day, buffoon from America claims to have travelled back in time, had a hell of a pretty girl with him otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the case."
The waiter humbly approached "Your eel pie, Mr Wells".
Old Slave rose "time to think about this case".
H G Wells ate his pie "time to think about time".

If he's having lunch with H.G. Wells you'd think he'd be slightly more open to the idea of Boeings. :doh:

Mind you, I didn't believe a 747 could fly, either, the first time I saw one :rolleyes:

“Good morning. I am inspector Slave of the Detective force. You are Miss Barbara Moore?”

“Oh! So you are ‘Old Slave’?”

Slave regarded her as though she were something he’d tramped in on his shoe. He didn’t like Americans at the best of times, and his recent interview with Tree had not improved the standing of that nation in his estimation. Barb wondered if perhaps she’d got the interview off on the wrong foot, so hastily she said, “Sorry, Inspector. Yes, I’m Barb Moore.”

Slave sighed deeply. ‘Barb’. ‘Old Slave’. These Americans really lacked taste and manners. He’d heard tales of a lawless country, men with Stetson hats shooting each other at high noon. Bank robberies a daily occurrence. Always drunk. Morals in the gutter. Why the hell did they have to come over here disturbing the Queen’s peace?

If she thought he was going to call her ‘Barb’ she’d got another think coming. “Well, Miss Moore, perhaps you could start by explaining why my men found you stark naked on a cross this morning?”

“I am to be married to the Earl of Cruxton on Saturday. Mr Rossetti had kindly agreed to paint me in a piece of classical art to be entitled ‘The Martyred Queen.’ As a wedding present for the Earl, you understand.”

Slave rolled his eyes. He wondered if all Americans had such vivid imaginations. Perhaps it was something to do with the water they drank over there. First he’d had to listen to wild tales of time travel and aerial vehicles called ‘Boeings.’ Now this trollop, wearing nothing but a blanket, was claiming to be engaged to a member of the British aristocracy. He didn’t believe it for one minute.

He communicated his disbelief, as he had to Tree, by just looking at her for a long time. As he did so, however, it occurred to him that she was actually a pretty good looking woman, for an American. He began to wonder what she looked like without the blanket.

With an effort he pulled himself together, but Barb read his mind, and she chose that moment to switch on her most dazzling seraphic smile, and to let the blanket slip just that little tiny bit.

Old Slave was beset by a coughing fit, which didn’t help, because that meant he inhaled a lungful of her perfume, perfume which she had carefully selected to hit a man’s endocrine system like a bomb.

“Are you all right, Mr Slave?” she asked, with feigned concern.

Slave had a mental picture of his grandfather, a Methodist preacher, standing in his pulpit, pounding his Bible with his fist, calling hell and damnation down on all ‘loose’ women. By God, he thought, this is the loosest of loose women. Whatever would Granddad say, if he could see him now?

“Miss M….” he began, but his throat had gone dry, and his voice failed him.

“Please, do call me ‘Barb’, ‘Miss Moore’ sounds so dreadfully…..English.”

“There is nothing wrong with being English, Miss Moore!” His voice had recovered, but his composure had not. “What are you doing in England, Miss Moore?”

“I told you, I’m engaged to the Earl of Crux……”

“I’ll tell you what I think, Miss Moore, I think that you and Mr Tree are old friends from America, and that, together, you planned to plunder the stately homes of England of their priceless works of art!”

“No! I only met the Senator last night, we were fellow guests at the Prince of Saxe-Coburg Hotel!”

“Paid for from the ill-gotten gains of your crime spree, no doubt. Let me tell you that we were watching you, Miss Moore. You were seen to dine with him last night, and to retire with him to his bedroom!”

Barb had turned bright red. “But…but…”

“Is that the conduct of a woman who says she is to be married within a week?” Slave pictured his old granddad cheering him on.

“Now, just you listen here, Buster…..”

“I’m not ‘Buster’, I’m ‘Inspector’ to you! What if I was to tell you that there is no such person as ‘Senator’ Tree? What if I was to tell you that the U.S. Embassy disown him completely?”

“No! It isn’t true!”

“It is true, Miss Moore! What if I was to tell you that I have irrefutable proof that he is none other than the ‘Racing Rodent’, a notorious criminal at the top of our ‘wanted’ list?”

“No, no! He is a good man!”

“He is not a good man, Miss Moore. What if I was to tell you that he has yet to supply me with a satisfactory alibi for a number of other crimes, including murder?”

“I don’t believe you! I can’t believe you!”

“You can believe me, Miss Moore, because it is true. We have caught him red handed with a stolen painting! And I believe you and he were just checking out the artwork in Mr Rossetti’s studio to work out what you could steal. Even as I speak, Mr Rossetti and Miss Wilding will be making statements to that effect. Admit it, Miss Moore, you and Mr Tree are partners-in-crime!”

She began to cry. Slave watched her with satisfaction, pleased with his demolition job. Any moment now, and he’d have her confession. Two major criminals, arrested before lunchtime. A good day.

“All right, Miss Moore, let’s do it the hard way. The night before last, Lord Jollyrei had a valuable painting stolen. The Venus Verticordia, to be precise. Where were you, the night before last, Miss Moore?”

The door burst open. “I will tell you exactly where she was, Inspector. She was with me!”

The PC looked apologetic, “sorry, sir, I couldn’t stop him!”

“WRAGGIE!” Barb threw herself across the room into his arms, oblivious of the fact that she’d left the blanket on the chair.

“It’s OK, Barb, I’ve got you,” he soothed, as she sobbed into his shoulder.

Slave was speechless. This was none other than Sir Eustace Wragg, the 16th Earl of Cruxton, one of the wealthiest and most influential aristocrats in England. And he was calling her ‘Barb’! And she called him ‘Wraggie’! He staggered to his feet.

Wragg got in first. “I gather you’ve arrested the Racing Rodent. Well done, sir! However, let me assure you, in the strongest possible terms, that my fiancé knows nothing of his nefarious activities!”

“But, your Lordship, I’m sorry to have to inform you that she was with him last night….”

“Poppycock, Slave. Drivel. You weren’t, were you, Barb darling?”

“Of course I wasn’t, darling.”

“But, Your Lordship!”

“YOU HEARD THE LADY!” thundered the Earl. “She has nothing to do with any criminal activity whatsoever. I trust I make myself perfectly clear?”

“Very good, your Lordship.”

“Excellent. Glad we’ve cleared up that little misunderstanding. Now, go and throw the book at the Racing Rodent, all means. Just fetch that blanket before you go, there's a good fellow.”

Obediently, Slave passed Wragg the blanket, and went on his way.

"seraphic smile" .... I like that very much ... think I will put it in my personal CF lexicon along with "tumescent nipples" and "tight little". ;)

Imagine being rescued at the very last minute from that awful Inspector Slave by none other than good old Wraggie himself! :) What a sweetheart. I take back all the nasty things I said about him behind his back, and re-calibrate his demerit total to zero. It surely pays in this class-ridden place the call Britain to be in close with the upper crust, doesn't it?:rolleyes: And that vile Racing Rodent will get his comeuppance too.:p A storybook ending to this chapter, if I do say so myself. Now pass me my blanket please, I say with a seraphic smile. My tumescent nipples are getting hard, and my tight little is drawing a few too many furtive stares from that pimply-faced young PC standing over there in the doorway.:confused:

If he's having lunch with H.G. Wells you'd think he'd be slightly more open to the idea of Boeings. :doh:

Mind you, I didn't believe a 747 could fly, either, the first time I saw one :rolleyes:

Well it is one thing to read it in a Well's book or Verne but hard to take seriously a man whose thin disguise is so easily penetrated. Poor Old Slave in above his head in double quick time.

And that vile Racing Rodent will get his comeuppance too.:p A storybook ending to this chapter, if I do say so myself. Now pass me my blanket please, I say with a seraphic smile. My tumescent nipples are getting hard, and my tight little is drawing a few too many furtive stares from that pimply-faced young PC standing over there in the doorway.:confused:

My word what a bounder the fellow is, well at least our Wraggie is a much better sort, so sherry or port?

I have work to do!
Yes, you'd better get on with that Syrian goddess for astarte

astarte-syriaca-1878.jpg

After that, Algy Swinburne's coming for his Friday flagellation,
you can whip me too while you're about it

9780987195333-us-300.jpg 81KvUUmS62L.jpg
clarke-swinburne00.jpg

Last edited:
Tree is surely pissed off by now. An esteemed senator being called a 'rodent'!!!

He demands "Do you have a telephone?" and is met with blank stares. Trying again he asks "Perhaps you Brits have a telegraph... No... May I borrow a homing pigeon? You know... a pigeon- they are like rats but fly???"

His witty remark does not endear him to the inspector...

Tree

" My tumescent nipples are getting hard,

I know, they feel really nice against my chest....but you're quite right, old girl, that PC looks as though he's going to have an accident. Better get you wrapped up, what?

Tree is surely pissed off by now. An esteemed senator being called a 'rodent'!!!

He demands "Do you have a telephone?" and is met with blank stares. Trying again he asks "Perhaps you Brits have a telegraph... No... May I borrow a homing pigeon? You know... a pigeon- they are like rats but fly???"

His witty remark does not endear him to the inspector...

Tree

Old Slave: Don't you have any homing Boeings? Har Har!

Yes, you'd better get on with that Syrian goddess for astarte

View attachment 333477

After that, Algy Swinburne's coming for his Friday flagellation,
you can whip me too while you're about it

View attachment 333478

Astarte :D

Astarte-Sirens.jpg

Nice move, Eul! ;)

Well it is one thing to read it in a Well's book or Verne but hard to take seriously a man whose thin disguise is so easily penetrated. Poor Old Slave in above his head in double quick time.

My word what a bounder the fellow is, well at least our Wraggie is a much better sort, so sherry or port?
Decent of you, Roland, old bean.

I trust we'll see you at the wedding? :)

Back
Top Bottom