Eulalia!!

Go to CruxDreams.com
(By the way, Eulalia, since it seems you are the resident expert on all things Roman, is it true that both of these scenarios are historically plausible? A husband had power of life and death over his wife, right? And so did a master over a slave?)

Not really expert, just interested. Others here have more authority.
My understanding is that a paterfamilias had pretty well absolute power over his family and household,
there were laws protecting women, children and even slaves, but a wealthy, powerful man could safely ignore them -
certainly if I were an erring daughter, or an adulterous wife, I think he would have been able to punish me and even kill me
without the law intervening (though in the case of a wife, her own family might)
The scenario you've described may be pushing it a bit, but I don't think it's all that far from the truth.

After three lashes I'm a sobbing babe, after six a screaming madwoman,
kicking, hurling my body around, crashing against the post and the squirming body of the slavegirl.
I pray to the gods, I plead for mercy, I feel my warm blood trickling, streaming, cascading down my back, my flanks,
soaking my loincloth, oozing down my thighs.

After twelve lashes, the lictor pauses, but only so he and the crowd can enjoy the way I'm shuddering and shaking in spasms
as my nerves absorb the pain, my body tries to cope. And then, as the lashing resumes, I let out a howl like a vixen in the night.

Another ten strokes, the lictor's tired - poor man! His colleague takes over, wraping the single-thonged bullwhip
around my ribs, my hips and my thighs, it's a new kind of pain, shaper, more concentrated,
I'm too breathless now to yell, I just gasp as the strokes drive me on, kicking frantically, swinging on the chain,
dancing the dance of the furies.

He stops - is it the end? I've long since lost count, surely I've had far more than 36? The crowd are roaring,
the man with the Scourge strolls back to the Whipping Post, tugs back my hair, looks into my eyes,
"Oh no," I croak, "p-please, no more..."

The last six are the worst, he makes me spin round to face him, I daren't disobey,
he rips the knotted cords across my bare breasts, blood spurts, I whine weakly,
lower now, my rib-cage, my stomach, the wretched rag falls away and my womanhood's exposed,
his final blow drags the torture-instrument right across my female part,
I throw back my head and force out a shrill screech of utter despair, horror and shame....

death, even the death of the cross, can only be welcome relief...

Not really expert, just interested. Others here have more authority.
My understanding is that a paterfamilias had pretty well absolute power over his family and household,
there were laws protecting women, children and even slaves, but a wealthy, powerful man could safely ignore them -
certainly if I were an erring daughter, or an adulterous wife, I think he would have been able to punish me and even kill me
without the law intervening (though in the case of a wife, her own family might)
The scenario you've described may be pushing it a bit, but I don't think it's all that far from the truth.

After three lashes I'm a sobbing babe, after six a screaming madwoman,
kicking, hurling my body around, crashing against the post and the squirming body of the slavegirl.
I pray to the gods, I plead for mercy, I feel my warm blood trickling, streaming, cascading down my back, my flanks,
soaking my loincloth, oozing down my thighs.

After twelve lashes, the lictor pauses, but only so he and the crowd can enjoy the way I'm shuddering and shaking in spasms
as my nerves absorb the pain, my body tries to cope. And then, as the lashing resumes, I let out a howl like a vixen in the night.

Another ten strokes, the lictor's tired - poor man! His colleague takes over, wraping the single-thonged bullwhip
around my ribs, my hips and my thighs, it's a new kind of pain, shaper, more concentrated,
I'm too breathless now to yell, I just gasp as the strokes drive me on, kicking frantically, swinging on the chain,
dancing the dance of the furies.

He stops - is it the end? I've long since lost count, surely I've had far more than 36? The crowd are roaring,
the man with the Scourge strolls back to the Whipping Post, tugs back my hair, looks into my eyes,
"Oh no," I croak, "p-please, no more..."

The last six are the worst, he makes me spin round to face him, I daren't disobey,
he rips the knotted cords across my bare breasts, blood spurts, I whine weakly,
lower now, my rib-cage, my stomach, the wretched rag falls away and my womanhood's exposed,
his final blow drags the torture-instrument right across my female part,
I throw back my head and force out a shrill screech of utter despair, horror and shame....

death, even the death of the cross, can only be welcome relief...
Well, it looks like you took the lion's share of the flogging! Barbaria apparently has had experience with whip-dodging.
Now you're taken down, and you slump in a bloody heap at the base of the post. Barbaria's standing next to you, annoyed by her wounds, but enjoying your shame.

Here comes your platibulum! Are you ready to walk naked through the streets of Rome?

You mean Eulalia? My noble half-sister? You have already nailed her to a cross. Or do you mean the poor soul unfortunate enough to be standing next to me in the crowd. She is not my sister.
The whereabouts of my true sister I will never reveal to you, even under torture. You cannot have her.

It's in my nature. I cannot help my disposition.
start with the crucifixion, she will tell us where to find her sister when you promise her to break her legs and so fasten her death.
You mean Eulalia? My noble half-sister? You have already nailed her to a cross. Or do you mean the poor soul unfortunate enough to be standing next to me in the crowd. She is not my sister.
The whereabouts of my true sister I will never reveal to you, even under torture. You cannot have her.

It's in my nature. I cannot help my disposition.

Oh, did you have something to tell us about your sister? We have time for a pause if so...

Never! My secrets will go to the cross with me. Let's get on with it. Eul is nearly comatose from her whipping (she sweetly took the worst of the 39 rather than me), I an indebted to her and don't want to go to the cross without her beside me. If need be I will support her on the march.

Never! My secrets will go to the cross with me. Let's get on with it. Eul is nearly comatose from her whipping (she sweetly took the worst of the 39 rather than me), I an indebted to her and don't want to go to the cross without her beside me. If need be I will support her on the march.
We can stand here for a while, and you two can hold your crossbeams while this crowd oggles your naked bodies...

The little slave wants to rule the world again... I watch in anticipation, waiting for the main executioner decision.

We can stand here for a while, and you two can hold your crossbeams while this crowd oggles your naked bodies...

More humiliation .... sigh ... this thing is heavy ... I am bending under it's weight on the back of my neck and on my shoulders. If we don't move soon, Eul will fall over! She is so weak, and I am not much better off.

More humiliation .... sigh ... this thing is heavy ... I am bending under it's weight on the back of my neck and on my shoulders. If we don't move soon, Eul will fall over! She is so weak, and I am not much better off.
You know, we have horses that could carry your crosses for you. In fact, we have enough horses to carry you too, so you wouldn't have to walk... Oh, but I don't suppose an uncooperative slave like you deserves that kind of treatment. Eulalia probably does deserve an easier time. Pity she'll have to carry her cross all because of you and your stubbornness...

The noble one doesn't seem really fiesty right now. It will take time for her to make it to the execution place. Nice, I'm in no hurry. I should have brought my wife my me. Always nice to teach a woman her real place

Is this not getting awkward for you? We're all waiting for you to tell us about your sister... Poor Eulalia doesn't look like she'll be able to stand here much longer before she collapses. And you know what that would mean.
You already have my answer to this demand!

Back
Top Bottom