Gnashing Of Teeth.

Go to CruxDreams.com
I understand that it’s all about the show.

Another thought that I had was ... why not just tie the subject’s knees together?

It would make it easier to position the feet an reduce the risk of being kicked as the hands were nailed.
Practical Siss ... don't give them advice. Let em figure it out for themselves.

They're guys Siss! They probably forgot :doh:

Barb, after reading Jedakk's post I was going to caution you not to underestimate these guys' inventive cruelty.

But then I remembered a line from an Elizabeth I biopic. "We women have forgotten more cruelty than you men can ever hope to learn!"

I understand that it’s all about the show.

Another thought that I had was ... why not just tie the subject’s knees together?

It would make it easier to position the feet an reduce the risk of being kicked as the hands were nailed.

Considered that before, but thought it was more humiliating to have her legs free, despite the risk. She could always try to keep them pressed together in a final effort towards modesty, but I think having nails driven through her wrists would cause her to lose focus on that.

Last edited:
Because they want her hanging by her wrists struggling so people can see that she is properly punished, and so they can see where her feet should be positioned on the cross. Not too high, but not stretched out too low either, high enough so she can get her feet under her and push up as far as she can. Get it wrong and she might not last!
In my fantasies, once we're condemned, we're taken and made to lie on a 'measuring cross',
one marked with notches, like a pair of giant rulers,
so that our Executioners can work out just where the nails will go when they crucify us.
As well as being practical, it's part of the psychological torture of anticipation. ;) :devil:

In my fantasies, once we're condemned, we're taken and made to lie on a 'measuring cross',
so that our Executioners can work out just where the nails will go when they crucify us.
As well as being practical, it's part of the psychological torture of anticipation. ;) :devil:
It would also save expenses on Messaline's Premium Crucifixion Wood if the cross is fitted to the wench...

Eul,

Perhaps that is overthinking. The best measure is the measure.

Even J will say that the perfect placement is between the between.

There are no soft spots ... just stages of torment.

I love this idea. The scientific approach, where the subject is weighed and measured and the cross is precisely adjusted for optimal effect. Charts, calculations, and humiliation.
Of course we can only crucify a fit physical specimen, so a full medical examination is required too.
"Congratulations! You are in excellent physical shape. Your crucifixion can proceed without delay."

ph235.jpg

I love this idea. The scientific approach, where the subject is weighed and measured and the cross is precisely adjusted for optimal effect. Charts, calculations, and humiliation.
Of course we can only crucify a fit physical specimen, so a full medical examination is required too.
"Congratulations! You are in excellent physical shape. Your crucifixion can proceed without delay."

View attachment 535304

I never saw this one before, Phlebas. An excellent, ingenious and vastly amusing job!

I do recognize one of the source images of the "Crucifixion - Female" chart, a vintage Chincy sketch. I'm curious as to where you got the others., though.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 491
A few classic Normanger renders, on-topic reminders. Please continue with this digression, though. There's always room for interesting.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 587
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 554
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 579

View attachment 535304
It's a brilliant manip - I love the instructive posters on the walls! On the measuring cross, I'm positioned at the optimum position, with arms at 60°, the locations for the wrist and foot nails precisely recorded, and for the sedile/cornu in my groin. Even if I'm back in Roman times, a skilful Executioner from Arbor's crew simply has to record those with knots in a pair of cords and they can be easily found and marked with a nail-point on my patibulum and stipes when the time comes to crucify me. :devil:

It's a brilliant manip - I love the instructive posters on the walls! On the measuring cross, I'm positioned at the optimum position, with arms at 60°, the locations for the wrist and foot nails precisely recorded, and for the sedile/cornu in my groin. Even if I'm back in Roman times, a skilful Executioner from Arbor's crew simply has to record those with knots in a pair of cords and they can be easily found and marked with a nail-point on my patibulum and stipes when the time comes to crucify me. :devil:

Thanks, Eul, I like the setting, and the idea. Although the manip is dated 2013, I actually started it in 2009! I can be rather slow.
I liked the way I taped them to the wall :)

I never saw this one before, Phlebas. An excellent, ingenious and vastly amusing job!

I do recognize one of the source images of the "Crucifixion - Female" chart, a vintage Chincy sketch. I'm curious as to where you got the others., though.

Well spotted Apostate. I don't remember where the other crucified figure on that poster came from, as I say I started this in 2009. But the originals of those charts (and one other) are here.

posbposh.jpg ecousavb.jpg dispexpe.jpg

That's one fantasy, whatever captures your imagination. I think more about what an executioner might do on the spot, with no prior measurements, and with the goals of maximizing the victim's time on the cross and her freedom of motion so that she could struggle and put on a good show for the crowd. Just rules of thumb that an executioner might follow.

I have a couple of problems with stretching the arms out along the patibulum as far as 60 degrees or more: First, the pull on the shoulders on one end and against the nail in the wrist on the other becomes very high - maybe enough to pull a shoulder out of joint sooner or later and disable a victim so she will die fairly quickly.

And second, it limits her range of vertical motion. At 60 degrees, she would hang with her shoulders about a forearm-length below the point at which her wrists were nailed, and she could rise to a point at which her shoulders were about a forearm-length above the nails. Her legs are longer than her arms, so her motion is limited by the way her wrists are nailed.

I chose to have my victims' arms outspread at 30 degrees from the vertical instead. This minimizes the pull on her shoulders and the nails in her wrists, and it maximizes her range of motion on the cross so that it's only limited by the length of her legs. And it's easy for an executioner to measure; all he has to do is place her wrists at about the width of her outstretched elbows and the geometry will take care of the rest. The victim herself becomes the measuring stick.

I always have my executioners nail her feet with the victim hanging by her nailed wrists, just pushing her feet up until her soles are flat and heels up close to her butt, and nail them there so that her humiliation is maximized and she has almost the full length of her legs to raise herself.

Placing a cornu is trickier; I want the cornu or sedile to mount in an augered or chiseled hole in the cross, but boring a hole with a victim's body hanging in the way is clumsy. I wondered if there could be a way to locate a hole where a cornu could be mounted to fit any size victim?

Perhaps Roman executioners had a rule of thumb for that too. The best I could come up with was to use the proportions artists use for drawing the human body, all in terms of head lengths. Using an analysis based on that, I came up with some figures which Balbus tells his new slave, Gundericus, in The Serpent's Eye:

Ja, Romans have a system for everything! But the cornu, how Antius knew how high to place that? He measured her?”

“Thirty-two inches from the level of the wrists to the point of the cornu. It works for any victim except the really tall ones. If you use a sedile, then it’s just like a cornu with no horn. Add another four inches and it’s thirty-six inches to the top edge of the sedile. The same hole in the stipes will work for either one."​

That's one fantasy, whatever captures your imagination. I think more about what an executioner might do on the spot, with no prior measurements, and with the goals of maximizing the victim's time on the cross and her freedom of motion so that she could struggle and put on a good show for the crowd. Just rules of thumb that an executioner might follow.

I have a couple of problems with stretching the arms out along the patibulum as far as 60 degrees or more: First, the pull on the shoulders on one end and against the nail in the wrist on the other becomes very high - maybe enough to pull a shoulder out of joint sooner or later and disable a victim so she will die fairly quickly.

And second, it limits her range of vertical motion. At 60 degrees, she would hang with her shoulders about a forearm-length below the point at which her wrists were nailed, and she could rise to a point at which her shoulders were about a forearm-length above the nails. Her legs are longer than her arms, so her motion is limited by the way her wrists are nailed.

I chose to have my victims' arms outspread at 30 degrees from the vertical instead. This minimizes the pull on her shoulders and the nails in her wrists, and it maximizes her range of motion on the cross so that it's only limited by the length of her legs. And it's easy for an executioner to measure; all he has to do is place her wrists at about the width of her outstretched elbows and the geometry will take care of the rest. The victim herself becomes the measuring stick.

I always have my executioners nail her feet with the victim hanging by her nailed wrists, just pushing her feet up until her soles are flat and heels up close to her butt, and nail them there so that her humiliation is maximized and she has almost the full length of her legs to raise herself.

Placing a cornu is trickier; I want the cornu or sedile to mount in an augered or chiseled hole in the cross, but boring a hole with a victim's body hanging in the way is clumsy. I wondered if there could be a way to locate a hole where a cornu could be mounted to fit any size victim?

Perhaps Roman executioners had a rule of thumb for that too. The best I could come up with was to use the proportions artists use for drawing the human body, all in terms of head lengths. Using an analysis based on that, I came up with some figures which Balbus tells his new slave, Gundericus, in The Serpent's Eye:

Ja, Romans have a system for everything! But the cornu, how Antius knew how high to place that? He measured her?”

“Thirty-two inches from the level of the wrists to the point of the cornu. It works for any victim except the really tall ones. If you use a sedile, then it’s just like a cornu with no horn. Add another four inches and it’s thirty-six inches to the top edge of the sedile. The same hole in the stipes will work for either one."​

Jedakk, I'm hoping you can hunt down some of your Sabina renders to illustrate all that, but on second thought that's probably not necessary. Your writing is downright cinematic, in the sense of very easy to visualize.

Next, more teeth gnashing. First off, Damian's closeup of two of Nero's Christian torches. Then Hugo's reconstruction of the Assyrian Women's Synchronized Teeth Gnashing Team. Finally, a BDSM flavored crux render from Toture Drawing, artist unknown.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 607
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
I've hesitated posting her for a long time. She one of my absolute favorite Jastrows, and she suits the thread nicely. But you have to zoom in on her face to be sure.

Then I remembered it's my thread and I can post anything I damn well please, and the elementary image editing I can do on this contraption enables me to zoom in on her face for the viewer's convenience. And so . . .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 560
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 561
Oh yeah. Here's the original, uncropped version. Two circa 1 C.E. young women having a really bad day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 523
Back
Top Bottom