Gnashing Of Teeth.

Go to CruxDreams.com
At 60 degrees, she would hang with her shoulders about a forearm-length below the point at which her wrists were nailed, and she could rise to a point at which her shoulders were about a forearm-length above the nails. Her legs are longer than her arms, so her motion is limited by the way her wrists are nailed.
I chose to have my victims' arms outspread at 30 degrees from the vertical instead.

Eul's mathematical Achilles heel showing again, I was thinking in a muddled way,
60° to the horizontal (patibulum), 30° to the vertical (stipes) would be your recommendation? ;)

What I was thinking of would be roughly as in: http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/attachments/image-jpeg.535602/
but you favour a more acute angle to the vertical?

And cf the posters posted by Phlebas above.

Last edited:
I wondered if there could be a way to locate a hole where a cornu could be mounted to fit any size victim?
I'd imagine a sedile projecting from a flat base with a series of holes along the edges that can be matched with a pair of holes (or maybe 4) in the stipes at the optimum height (just below the girl's crotch), and nailed into position. The sedile would itself have a series of holes along it through which a cornu (or even two cornua) could be inserted and weged or otherwise locked into place. :devil:

Eul's mathematical Achilles heel showing again, I was thinking in a muddled way,
60° to the horizontal (patibulum), 30° to the vertical (stipes) would be your recommendation? ;)

What I was thinking of would be roughly as in: http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/attachments/image-jpeg.535602/
but you favour a more acute angle to the vertical?

And cf the posters posted by Phlebas above.

Another consideration is if her feet are nailed with the soles flat against the face of the stipe. If so it would be impossible for her to straighten her legs without leaning out from the cross.

Yes. That's what I used in all of my crucifixion pictures. Note that in this picture, where Sabina is about to have her left wrist nailed, her arm is bent maybe a bit more than 90 degrees at the elbow to get her wrist into position. If you were to swing her arm upward at the shoulder, her elbow would pass pretty close to where her wrist is now placed.

Sabina Nailing Scene 3b-12_0001.jpg

And you can see that she is pretty well centered with her neck about where the mortise is in the patibulum.

Sabina Nailing Scene 3b-16_0001.jpg

Her other wrist is positioned similarly for nailing.

Sabina Nailing Scene 5x7-19_0001.jpg Sabina Nailing Scene 6a-22_0001.jpg

A little trigonometry here: The length of your forearm and upper arm are close to equal. When Sabina is hanging by her wrists, as shown here:

Sabina Nailing Scene 12a-1_0001.jpg

Her arms form the hypotenuse of a right triangle, and the distance along the patibulum from a vertical line through her shoulder out to where her wrist is nailed is the length of her upper arm, because that's how the executioner measured it. Since her upper arm and forearm are about the same length, the hypotenuse is twice as long as the distance outward along the patibulum. Dividing that distance by the hypotenuse gives us a value of 1/2, which is the sine of 30 degrees, so her arms are about 30 degrees from the vertical - very rough measurement, nothing precise at all, good enough for the purpose.

And by the way, the nails for Sabina's cross are in precisely the same place in every scene. They are actually there all the time, even before she's nailed, they're just invisible in the renders. That's how I pose Sabina's arms, so that her wrists are on the nails, how I place the executioner's finger when he's probing her wrist, etc. I just make the nail invisible before I do the renders.

Another plus for doing it this way is that she can move pretty much through her entire vertical range from hanging to fully raised without twisting the nails in her wounds.

Sabina Crucified Scene 1-53_0001.jpg Sabina Crucified Scene 11-51_0001.jpg

Although she can if she struggles:

Sabina Crucified Scene 8-14_0001.jpg

The reason an executioner would care about that is it hurts a lot more, pain draws strength out of the victim, and if your goal is to prolong her suffering, that is counterproductive. Might have been a trick of the trade.

So for me, having her hang like this portrays what I saw in my imagination when I wrote this story. It's one way that an executioner from Roman times might have done his job.

I'd imagine a sedile projecting from a flat base with a series of holes along the edges that can be matched with a pair of holes (or maybe 4) in the stipes at the optimum height (just below the girl's crotch), and nailed into position. The sedile would itself have a series of holes along it through which a cornu (or even two cornua) could be inserted and weged or otherwise locked into place. :devil:

I made my sediles for The Serpent's Eye out of a big forked branch with one of the forks cut off, maybe bent during seasoning to make it have more of a 90 degree angle.

Sabina Crucified Scene 3-13_0001.jpg

It would have been shaped with a draw knife, something the Romans used a lot. My idea was to shape its shank into a trapezoidal cross-section that would fit into a triangular hole in the cross and be fixed in place with a wedge beneath it. Because of its tapered sides and the triangular hole, the wedge would force it upward into an extremely tight fit. When the victim rested her weight on it, she'd tend to tighten it further, not work it loose. This was something the Romans were familiar with in their woodworking and joinery.

As far as making the cornu as a two-piece assembly, you could do that and I think it makes sense. It would, however, require that the horizontal base have enough width to bear weight even with the holes needed for the horn to fit. There were probably all kinds of cruel implements of torture that executioners invented to fit between the legs of a victim over the hundreds of years that the cross was used.

There is of course this one that I used for Altered States which would have been put together from several pieces:

Maia Scene 1-11_0006.jpg Maia Scene 1-14_0006.jpg

Jedakk, I'm going to swipe one of those Altered States renders for Obscene Display.

Here's two classic, downright nostalgic manips from Damian and Arcimboldo.

And as much as I admire his stuff, the latter is one of the few by A. that doesn't punch my ewww!!! buttons.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 621
The second one was always arousing me ; this girl, not only suffering due to her nailed crucifixion, is also tortured by iron'claws , hot irons and so on ....
That is satisfying all my deepest fantasies, indeed !:D:rolleyes:

The second one was always arousing me ; this girl, not only suffering due to her nailed crucifixion, is also tortured by iron'claws , hot irons and so on ....

Mademoiselle, do your deepest fantasies involve cornus like this? ;-)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 534

535724-68f24c98a1c801e0d3587c2a5d7b2b80.jpg
Me too - the glistening sweat on her body, and the marks that tell a whole long story of cruel treatment,
and of course Arcimboldo's motto, LENTE - 'slowly' - they're making sure that body's going to go on suffering,
alive, conscious and screaming, for a long, long time yet...

I like too the way the young woman on the left is looking at the torture, hints of excitment in her stance - and the younger Torturer has his eyes on her! :devil:

Last edited:
535724-68f24c98a1c801e0d3587c2a5d7b2b80.jpg
Me too - the glistening sweat on her body, and the marks that tell a whole long story of cruel treatment,
and of course Arcimboldo's motto, LENTE - 'slowly' - they're making sure that body's going to go on suffering,
alive, conscious and screaming, for a long, long time yet...

I tend to focus like a laser on her glistening, sweating mostly naked body, for I'm a lot more vanilla than I have any business being.

I like too the way the young woman on the left is looking at the torture, hints of excitment in her stance - and the younger Torturer has his eyes on her! :devil:

And so we're afforded a glimpse into the notorious "crux singles" scene.

Only one of these Aedilis ladies is a serious tooth gnasher, but have a nostalgic fondness for his stuff. And his naked comely crucified women. Which is kinda the point of this kink, actually.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 629
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 602
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 637
OK, she's not gnashing. I'm posting Subversive5's cartoon here because the idea of a parallel universe, just a few steps from our own, in which "gentlemen's clubs" featuring LIVE NUDE CRUX DANCING!!! are a thing . . .

What a fiendish, unholy, thoroughly arousing concept. No lap dances, but no stuffing $20 or $50 bills into g-strings either. Tradeoffs . . .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    858.3 KB · Views: 550
Late in his career, Freud theorized a stage of female psychosexual development analogous to Penisneid (penis envy), which he called Kreuzigungneid (crucifixion envy). Jung shared the concept, but bitterly broke with Freud over whether it should be confined to Christian women. What is less commonly known is that I just made all that up.

In any case, at least she's gnashing. Artist unknown, and I'm really sorry about that, because I'd really like to have a "where the hell did this kink come from?" discussion with him or her.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 568
Late in his career, Freud theorized a stage of female psychosexual development analogous to Penisneid (penis envy), which he called Kreuzigungneid (crucifixion envy). Jung shared the concept, but bitterly broke with Freud over whether it should be confined to Christian women. What is less commonly known is that I just made all that up.

In any case, at least she's gnashing. Artist unknown, and I'm really sorry about that, because I'd really like to have a "where the hell did this kink come from?" discussion with him or her.
That is priceless. And educational! :)

That is priceless. And educational! :)

Thanks, Wragg. My TeD degree (Taurus excretum Doctoris) does come in handy sometimes.

"Another new test" by Jastrow. First posted back in '06, at the time somebody commented that Jas' "tests" were like other artists' finished works.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 630
Back
Top Bottom