Jastrow's Pic of the Day

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thanks Cruxlover for this unique (in my experience) image showing the crucified female having had her legs broken, a victim of crucrifragium.
The link <https://worldofdictionary.com/dict/latin-english/meaning/crurifragium> details the meaning of the term 'crurifragium' as the breaking
of the legs of crucified victims.

Rarely (if ever) are crucified victims shown with broken legs, even among images in the 'dead crucified bodies' thread. Bravo!

Apparently, the Romans considered this 'an act of mercy' as it would hasten the death of the victim they had crucified - the victim could no longer push their agonised body up to enable them to breathe.

Tales Romani misericordiae eius (English to Latin translation - 'Such is Roman mercy' ??).

I attach a crucifixion manipulation I created featuring Meredith (Mitchel?), a star of Elite Pain Case 18, having her legs broken. On the other side of the cross, I manipulated an image of Jenet from behind. She may be about to have a spear driven into her side, ending her suffering and thus creating another crucifixion opportunity (or perhaps to suffer further punishment by a spear being driven and twisted in her breasts, causing further entertainment for the Roman mob).

The reason for 2 victims being nailed up on the same cross was a surplus of victims sentenced be crucified and a shortage of available crosses to which they could be nailed.
Thank you Ranger, very useful..
Madiosi-2018-074-Arena.jpg
I feel me so free, the shape to copy in the CMCK.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 Day 23: Blowing the dust off of another moldy-oldie. This is from 2006. It is an emulation of a Yusseby drawing (I'm never sure how to spell his name!)

Attachments

• Afternoon Ordeal r..jpg
    Afternoon Ordeal r..jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 1,178
  • cxy004.jpg
    cxy004.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,058
The shape is useful for many different scenarios.
View attachment 556999
madiosi, you've done it again! Another deeply enhancing background. Thank you.

In this background, you've cleverly included several strengthening elements. E.g. the sympathetic women being kept away from comforting (?) the victims; the soldier riding back along the dirt road, perhaps to inform his superiors that a position or two on this particular cross would soon be vacant for further crucifixions to be carried out. The drop shadows present in your 2 backdrop depictions (I missed them in your first objet d'art) adds a further realism that so enhances the basic manipulation I managed.

A technical question about your use of drop shadowing of the cross and victims itself, the restraining soldier, the trees lining the road etc.
I use Photoshop Elements 8 selecting the 'Layer/Layer Style/Style Settings/Drop Shadow' sub menu to achieve similar (albeit very comparatively inferior) shadow effects. I must say that your drop shadowing is most effective. Do you use a similar technique, perhaps?

Yes, but why is the chap on the horse riding away? :confused:
In my reply to madiosi, I postulate that he may be riding back to his superiors in the distant city to inform them of an impending vacancy or two on that particular cross. Thus another 1 or 2 crucifixion candidates could be made to stagger out to the site of execution and, after nailing and raising, filling the vacancy/s on that cross. What do you think?

I use two methods for shadows. The first is similar the layer drop shadow, it think. This shadow layer I can distort. Erase zones or add other is easy on this way.
Sometimes, and in the last collage also, I use the filter collection from EyeCandy7. He have the filter shadow. But it is often not so optimal, because this shadow is not a extra layer. He is fix together save with the shape.

They never forgot
That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course
Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot
Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse
Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.

(from W H Auden, Musée des Beaux Arts)

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 Day 24: You’ve patiently traveled down memory lane with me over the last few days. Here’s a brand new image that I finished yesterday. I call it "Guilty Blond Girl" (but, hey, aren’t they ALL guilty?) I’ll let you decide what she’s guilty of. It looks to me like she had a rough walk to the site and felt the kiss of the whip repeatedly. She’s only been nailed there a short time, however. Her pale skin will soon turn a bright red from the sun’s powerful rays. I don’t think she’ll last long...

Attachments

• Guilty Blond Girl.jpg
    Guilty Blond Girl.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 1,131
The look on her face is that of a person still trying to process what’s happened to her. A look that bespeaks bewilderment, before being subsumed by unspeakable pain and terror.

Attachments

• D5E9F4A7-8324-4FBD-870F-DB5AEC73FA22.jpeg
    D5E9F4A7-8324-4FBD-870F-DB5AEC73FA22.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 927
Back
Top Bottom